64 replies to this topic

#41 simpsonsg

simpsonsg

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:03 AM

Anyone still waiting on the OTA? I got tired of waiting yesterday and used HoB to go from 905 to 246.
I followed the instructions, and It worked flawlessly. There was no data loss, and back to rooted with
all the bloatware turned off.

The phone is more responsive and 4G is more reliable. Now I regret not making the jump earlier.
Don't get me wrong, I was happy with the Eclipse ROM I was running.
If you're still on the fence about waiting or using HoB. I recommend you just go for it.

Thanks SamuriHL. Great work!

#42 dman1049

dman1049

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Just recived ota. Pacific north west.

#43 pkooistra

pkooistra

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Twitter:@pkooistra

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Just recived ota. Pacific north west.

Looks like the update is available to everyone now.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#44 OutdoorGeek

OutdoorGeek

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Ok, I've read the warnings about "updating media database" taking excessive time and had recently removed some (not all) of my media files in anticipation. Regretably, I did not remove ALL the remaining media files before I took the update last night, confident that I would awaken to ICS.246. However, it has now been over 15 hours and the phone still is "updating media database." Thank goodnes it was plugged into the charger when I accepted the update or I'm sure the battery would have fully discharged by now. A bit hacked to say the least. I don't know what the #e!! it is doing but this is absolutely insane...

Question is how much longer can this take? (I had only the stock 16G SD card with 8GB internal and it was nowhere near full.)
Will I brick the phone if I stop this? Don't dare touch it, but desparately need the ultility of my phone for my business.

Thanks!
OG

#45 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ok, I've read the warnings about "updating media database" taking excessive time and had recently removed some (not all) of my media files in anticipation. Regretably, I did not remove ALL the remaining media files before I took the update last night, confident that I would awaken to ICS.246. However, it has now been over 15 hours and the phone still is "updating media database." Thank goodnes it was plugged into the charger when I accepted the update or I'm sure the battery would have fully discharged by now. A bit hacked to say the least. I don't know what the #e!! it is doing but this is absolutely insane...

Question is how much longer can this take? (I had only the stock 16G SD card with 8GB internal and it was nowhere near full.)
Will I brick the phone if I stop this? Don't dare touch it, but desparately need the ultility of my phone for my business.

Thanks!
OG

Do not stop the process. It will brick your phone. Not to scare ya but some people reported 20+ hours before it was finished. Keep it on the charger and for gods sake don't pull the battery.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#46 OutdoorGeek

OutdoorGeek

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks. I will let it go some more but this is just intolerable. I'm at 18 hours now. What/why is "updating media database"?

#47 TnTitan86

TnTitan86

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:@TnTitan615

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Does anyone know how to check and see if your phone is still on the upgrade path? Installed leak .246 last night.....kinda nervous about not being able to fxz back jus wanted to be able to recieve ota thanks

#48 King Howie

King Howie

Minister of Jackbooted Thugs

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 GPE, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Does anyone know how to check and see if your phone is still on the upgrade path? Installed leak .246 last night.....kinda nervous about not being able to fxz back jus wanted to be able to recieve ota thanks

if you're on the .246 system, you're on the upgrade path. The .246 leak is the exact same file as the ota .246

#49 OutdoorGeek

OutdoorGeek

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Approaching 21 hours stuck on "updating media database." Anybody want to GUESS when it will be done?

#50 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Approaching 21 hours stuck on "updating media database." Anybody want to GUESS when it will be done?

27 and a half hours lol. All depends on the amount of media you have I'm afraid.

#51 dman1049

dman1049

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Left all my media on. 12 gigs of music... took 20-30 minutes. Dont know why your guys phones took so long. All my music was on my external sd card

#52 OutdoorGeek

OutdoorGeek

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

I have only the stock 16 GB SD card; perhaps 1/2 full with mp3 audio files and some videos. A couple of the video files were made on power director and never played correctly, always stopped at one point (though played fine on PC). Wondering what happens if there is an error in a video file? Is it stuck because it isn't finished or stuck because it crashed due to some error?

#53 OutdoorGeek

OutdoorGeek

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Quick update if helpful to anyone:

After well over 30 hours stuck on "updating media database," my patience ended. Per Matt from the Motorola forum I carefully pulled the SD card without turning it off or bumping the battery. It immediately booted up to ICS and within a few moments I observed the "successfully updated to xxx.246" message, so the good news is that the phone was not bricked. Unfortunately, there appear to be lots of problems. Various functions such as the media players working and the alarm clock alarm are not working. "Media" is constantly running and, according to the battery function within "settings" is taking well over 50% of the battery power (by far the thirstiest) and I am only getting about 2 to 3 hours from full charge to red with little to no use. The device is always warm to the touch - even when sitting "idle" on the table. The camera flash does not work and the flash controls are greyed out (likely a setting someplace?) and the display went absolutely crazy this morning while sitting on the table with nothing connected to the phone (have read about some charger interaction causing display issues, not the cause for this occurrence...) I am also missing calls. Battery pulls and clearing various memory caches has not helped.

So, in short, after reading all the favorable experience with ICS, I am disappointed as my experience has been very problematic. At this point, rather than attempting to troubleshoot, I am leaning towards a full factory reset and re-installation of everything. Not looking forward to this but think it might be a shorter path than messing around with all the problems. I suspect something got scrogged during the 30 hours stuck on media update.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Thanks!

#54 B.E.McAllister

B.E.McAllister

Paint by Number Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationUT, PA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I would at least attempt to clean the cache in stock recovery first before a wipe but just like upgrading a computers operating system it really is best to start clean

#55 bdazzg1

bdazzg1

I Break $hit!

• Developer
  • 359 posts
  • Twitter:@bdazzg1
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/+TonyRossBDAZZG1
  • LocationPrescott Valley, AZ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Droid Maxx, Droid Ultra, LG G2, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

There's a thread over at xda claiming this to be the 246 FXZ. I'm a bit skeptical but I won't have time to check out the file until sometime tomorrow. Maybe someone else wants to sooner? If not I'll report back tomorrow evening.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

BDAZZG1_sig.png

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

#56 - JPB

- JPB

DG Mooter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNear S.J., CA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

There's a thread over at xda claiming this to be the 246 FXZ. I'm a bit skeptical but I won't have time to check out the file until sometime tomorrow. Maybe someone else wants to sooner? If not I'll report back tomorrow evening.

I don't know about that thread in particular but I do know the 246 fxz is already out. Been keeping up on the moot...
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#57 Guest_HOFFA_*

Guest_HOFFA_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I reverted back to the 902 stock. did the updates. took about 20 mins.

#58 Guest_HOFFA_*

Guest_HOFFA_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

That's What I used. Works Just Fine.

#59 Guest_HOFFA_*

Guest_HOFFA_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Slot 4 cpu. see if u can use it.

#60 B.E.McAllister

B.E.McAllister

Paint by Number Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationUT, PA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'm a five slot and the .246 fxz worked fine for me.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users