• Please log in to reply
1212 replies to this topic

#881 johnbrain

johnbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

The phone will most likely work fine without SmartActions installed. However I would expect any future OTA updates to fail due to this system file missing - which may not be an issue for you since you're rooted.
Note that it's generally much safer to freeze apps in Titanium Backup rather than delete them - especially system apps. That way if you discover that you need them days/weeks/months from now, all you have to do is thaw them out again, as opposed to going on a hunt for the correct APK.

That's what I was thinking. Could I just copy them over from the jb OTA zip? I don't know all the files associated withSmartactions. Eh. I'm rooted. I'm sure if there's another OTA, by then there will probably be a utility too.

I actually have them backed up in TB, just not sure which is my jb one, and which came from an ics backup

#882 akeezy

akeezy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hashcode has a new Safestrap 3.06 update for Moto JB4.1 OTA changes.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

it forces closes when I try to open it

#883 SoccerRef12

SoccerRef12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Twitter:@SoccerRef12
  • LocationLampasas, TX
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hashcode has a new Safestrap 3.06 update for Moto JB4.1 OTA changes.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Downloaded SS 3.06 & it allowed me to back up my new stock JB! I don't think the old SS 3.05 allowed you to back up stock ICS.

"If you truly learned from your mistakes, I would be a genius by now!"

#884 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Ok, this is my third post for the same issue, and while I realize people have day jobs and such, I am hoping that Matt or someone with a "real" clue can help.

Unlike the majority of users here, I am not a N00b and I have read everything multiple times, but still cant get past the Status 7 error (mine is occurring on lte.img.

I ran Matts 1.82, reset back to stock 211 just fine, re-rooted, Voodoo, etc. and all was absolutely fine. Went into Recovery to apply the update and get the Status 7 error.

I have tried multiple times with and without un-rooting and still nada. Yes, I wiped cache and even tried a Factory reset. still nuthin

Please someone give me some suggestions that are intelligent....Much Thanks in advance!

#885 mhotovec

mhotovec

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Asus TF700

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

That's what I was thinking. Could I just copy them over from the jb OTA zip? I don't know all the files associated withSmartactions. Eh. I'm rooted. I'm sure if there's another OTA, by then there will probably be a utility too.

I actually have them backed up in TB, just not sure which is my jb one, and which came from an ics backup

You could probably get them from the OTA zip, but I personally don't know how to do that.
As for the TB backups, I'd bet the JB one is the one with the most recent date stamp. :)

#886 SoccerRef12

SoccerRef12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLampasas, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

it forces closes when I try to open it

These are the steps I did... Downloaded 3.06, uninstalled 3.05, installed 3.06 apk, opened 3.06, installed all the stuff it asked me to do, rebooted into recovery & backed up stock JB with SS 3.06. You might have skipped one of those steps of it FC.

#887 TrueBlueWitt

TrueBlueWitt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I did my upgrade last night. Yes I did udate the Su binaries and Vodoo. I checked things after rebooting into JB. The Su icon was there, Vodoo was gone. This is where Batman's "recover root" comes into play. Worked Perfectly! Before throwing in the towel on root, give this a try.

Bt earpeice worked from the start. No calling problems, everything working as it should! Thanks Matt and all who help around here! :D

My experience was better than yours, , went back to stock 181 using Matt's utility(did not clear data), updated the binaries (thanks to NiteWolf), double pumped on Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then flashed JB... Rebooted and came up without a hitch, and with root. However, Voodoo didn't show all the boxes checked at first, but now it does(go figure?).Either way didn't affect root permissions.(su works from terminal prompt and everything that needs root seems to work fine!)

Overall I really like the JB update! New Gallery is so much nicer and easier to use! Thankful to be done with MotoBlur, although do miss the music app with internet radio(obviously other apps around for that). Also love the updated status bar pull-down.

Battery life seems good so far, I think better than with ICS.

Very smooth overall, did find things are slightly better, especially in Quadrant if check "force GPU rendering" in the Debugging options.

Definitely needs to be "de-bloated".

Also seems better if set the sampling rate down to 50000 on the hotplug governor.. 100000 seems to be too often and interfere with scheduling. Set "up" threshold at 70 as well., "down" at 35.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the "auto turn on" feature for WiFi. Although have had no problem with WiFi or BT since the update.

Had to clear cache and data for a few apps to clean up some issues.

To people having troubles with root, did you also install the latest busybox before updating? I think Superuser has a minimal Busybox install, but recommends you downloading a full one.

Thanks again to Matt and everyone!

#888 TrueBlueWitt

TrueBlueWitt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

I followed the instructions including rolling back to .211. I was NOT rooted prior to this, and was at the 215 update.

I'm up and running trouble free on JB, but I have 2 issues:

Superuser seems to have rolled back to 3.0.3.2 for Binary update and I get a "fail" for downloading the new binary. Should I uninstall and reinstall in the google play store? Voodoo OTA shows that the device is rooted and root permission granted (all boxes checked), but I can't use Titanium Backup or Root Explorer in R/W mode as it says I'm not rooted.

Also,
Gallery doesn't show my picasa photos. I see this may be a JB issue and rolling back to an older version of Gallery might fix it. It might also break the camera, which I REALLY don't want to do. Has anyone had success getting picassa albums to show up in gallery and still have a working cam? If so, how?

Thanks

Can also try deleting Superuser App's cache and data, then try updating again. NiteWolf Suggested that earlier in the thread.. worked like a charm for me on ICS when I got a "fail" message.. although if you're already on JB I'm not sure if it will work.

#889 johnbrain

johnbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

You could probably get them from the OTA zip, but I personally don't know how to do that.
As for the TB backups, I'd bet the JB one is the one with the most recent date stamp. :)

no big deal. I'm sure I'm not the only 1 who I uninstalled apps instead of frozen them. Out of cCuriosity would a factory wipe in recovery work? Or what I lose root?

#890 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Ok, this is my third post for the same issue, and while I realize people have day jobs and such, I am hoping that Matt or someone with a "real" clue can help.

Unlike the majority of users here, I am not a N00b and I have read everything multiple times, but still cant get past the Status 7 error (mine is occurring on lte.img.

I ran Matts 1.82, reset back to stock 211 just fine, re-rooted, Voodoo, etc. and all was absolutely fine. Went into Recovery to apply the update and get the Status 7 error.

I have tried multiple times with and without un-rooting and still nada. Yes, I wiped cache and even tried a Factory reset. still nuthin

Please someone give me some suggestions that are intelligent....Much Thanks in advance!

the only thing i can think since it seems like you have tried everything and followed all the steps, is that you possibly have a corrupted download....

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#891 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

the only thing i can think since it seems like you have tried everything and followed all the steps, is that you possibly have a corrupted download....

Nope, dont think thats it either John. MD5 checks out fine and I even d/l'ed it 4 friggin times. thx anyways

#892 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

no big deal. I'm sure I'm not the only 1 who I uninstalled apps instead of frozen them. Out of cCuriosity would a factory wipe in recovery work? Or what I lose root?

typically a factory wipe does not wipe system (where superuser and su live) it only wipes data so you should not loose root

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#893 liamfm

liamfm

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Iiamfm

"Superuser seems to have rolled back to 3.0.3.2 for update and I get a "fail" for downloading the new binary. Should I uninstall and [in the google play store? Voodoo OTA shows that the device is rooted and root permission granted (all boxes checked), but I can't use Titanium Backup or Root Explorer in R/W as it says I'm not rooted"

I had the same issue, go to post #2 on the first page and use the root restorer tool. It fixed mine instantly, it installs SuperSU. I was then able to use Voodoo Rootkeeper successfully. Titanium & Root Explorer again (successful root!)

Thanks - that was it! I now seem to be rooted!

Now just need to figure out the picassa thing, and I still get a Verizon.vmm something or other FC when the phone starts.

#894 papabliss2007

papabliss2007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

cannot restore root or unroot. have factory reset. same results. any suggestions?

#895 ryan8r

ryan8r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Twitter:@ryan8r
  • LocationBeyond the Grave..

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

These are the steps I did... Downloaded 3.06, uninstalled 3.05, installed 3.06 apk, opened 3.06, installed all the stuff it asked me to do, rebooted into recovery & backed up stock JB with SS 3.06. You might have skipped one of those steps of it FC.

Are any of ICS roms still booting via SS on the new kernel ?!

Accidentally Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#896 jagman

jagman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Anybody having issues of not being able to check emails that use the pop email client? I keep getting a error and it won't open. I've tried reinstalling with TBU but that didn't help. I also get an error that says exchange isn't working.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I have the same problem. That and my phone is on speaker at full volume and no matter what I do it stays that way. I was extra careful to follow Matt's directions. The only thing I haven't done is wipe cache and try a factory reset since doing the update. I did get a message when trying to do the update that the SD card needed to be installed, but then I pressed vol up and down at the same time and it then started the update. Kind of weird. I did manage to maintain root but my pulldown looks no different than stock Moto ICS. I'm wondering if I have remains from ICS and a partial update. Can I do a factory reset, rewipe cache and redo the update? Also, my update DL was 329gb, not 331. I redownloaded it from one of the mirrors and it was the same size.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

#897 SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Twitter:SnoDrtRider
  • Google+:SnoDrtRider
  • LocationSouth Jersey or Tug Hill, NY
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx, Motorola Xoom Wi Fi

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

+1 My thoughts exactly but I held my tongue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

I sometimes have a hard time holding my tongue ;)

#898 SoccerRef12

SoccerRef12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLampasas, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Are any of ICS roms still booting via SS on the new kernel ?!

Accidentally Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't try any. I had read that they won't work. I used SS to delete the ones I had.

#899 SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Twitter:SnoDrtRider
  • Google+:SnoDrtRider
  • LocationSouth Jersey or Tug Hill, NY
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx, Motorola Xoom Wi Fi

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

OK here I go again...

Seems quite a few people are having problems once they start screwing with the ROM once it is installed (Launcher, Safestrap, Etc)
Since there are NO fastboot files available for this yet wouldn't it be wiser to wait until they are available or until the developers actually say that their Launcher, Recovery, Ect work with this ROM before you possibly brick your devices?

#900 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

OK here I go again...

Seems quite a few people are having problems once they start screwing with the ROM once it is installed (Launcher, Safestrap, Etc)
Since there are NO fastboot files available for this yet wouldn't it be wiser to wait until they are available or until the developers actually say that their Launcher, Recovery, Ect work with this ROM before you possibly brick your devices?

Nah, they all needed another brick in the wall anyway. ;^)
  • SnoDrtRider likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users