Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL on Google Fi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hi, first I would like to thank this forum and all the people in its community, it really is a nice place :-)

Ok now on to my problem, I am having an odd data drop issue, here's a little history. I upgraded from my og droid to my bionic and it's Lte goodness and I'm not sure exactly when I noticed it but it was after the return Window for getting a brand new device, the Lte would stop working, the icon was still blue and whatever app I was in didn't say no connection it just wouldn't load whatever it needed data for FB would just sit there saying updating, play would just say loading, the upload arrow would blink slowly and after a min or 2 or if I toggled airplane mode it would be fine. This happened seemingly random, some days not at all others maybe 5 to 10 times. I just dealt with it cause update 902 was coming and was supposed to fix data issues. That came and same problem, then 905 was coming and was supposed to fix it. What a mess, it got way worse, icon would go white, couldn't hold Lte for more than 30 sec at a time, I set the bionic to 3g only so I wouldn't throw it at a wall it was so bad.
I did get a new sim from Verizon, but It didn't help.

Now enter ics leaks and 246, amazing whole new phone. My data problem went back to usable, ie: random 5 to 10 times a day but ics was awesome.

I'm still having this problem, it has survived at least 2 fdrs, an FXZ wiping data and starting fresh each time I don't back up or restore anything besides Googles automated contacts and whatever else it does but I always do the corner trick and add the account later and manually install my apps from play.

Then I found a used bionic for sale for $40 so I jumped on it, figured I didn't have much to lose. Minor blemishes and it doesn't recognize docks but does charge and usb works. So I did an fxz on it and popped in my sim and it came up just fine, loaded some apps, all good and then Lte drop/hang :-(
So since this one was expendable I rooted it and safe strap 3 and put IcarusHd stripped on it, cool rom but I couldn't be sure if it had the same problem or not, gave it a day to settle and went to visit family in LA and was on my phone checking the moot thread an FB and lots of Google maps and never noticed a drop/hang, it was awesome I thought it was fixed, had been almost a week with no problems which was never seen b4 without a drop/hang. Then I got back home to Slo, and it went back to its usual drop/hang business.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on if I got 2 bionic with weak radios or its an app issue, and then it works in LA it seems but not where I am :/ which doesn't make sense since I've gone a few hours drive up north an still had data problems.

Sorry for spelling/Grammer I'm not to good at it and I'm on my phone.
Wow that is a huge post and I probably forgot a detail or 2.

Tl:dr odd data drop since the beginning otherwise no complaints about this phone, ics rocks.
Thanks anybody that can give me some insight.

#2 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Have you tried getting a new sim card from Verizon? What area are you located in? Only two things I can think of is a bad sim card or a crappy 4g area.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#3 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

I'm in San Luis obispo California, pretty much in the middle of town and I did get a new sim back on .905

#4 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Sorry missed the parts where you mentioned the new sim and location. Half asleep. I doubt it would be a bad radio flash with that many fxz's and 2 different phones. Almost sounds like a vzw issue with the tower that your pulling your 4g from.

#5 Nagaro

Nagaro

Brosicle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Current Device(s):NEXUS 6P, Moto 360

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

It sounds location based. Do you know anyone else who has a verizon LTE phone in your area? Do they also experience the same issue? If so then it's a tower thing and Verizon should be contacted about it.

73pi4w.png
Temp sig by livininginkaos

#6 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

My friend has a bionic that he got on launch day and he works not to far from me and says he has never had a data problem, even on .905

I was starting to think location when I came back from LA but I would think a few hours north or in the next town it would work, but same problem.

Are there any apps that are known to cause data problems? I don't think I have any out of the ordinary apps on here but I did install pretty much the same ones on both bionics.

For Verizon tech support is there a tier 2 tech I can get or do I just call 611?

#7 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Under "about phone" in settings what does your baseband version say?

#8 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

59.82KB   15 downloads
The radio is flashed when you do an fxz right?

#9 Brutus06

Brutus06

Drunken Monk Brewery

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Google+:leereitz12@gmail.com
  • LocationSouth Dakota
  • Current Device(s):Bionic(retired), Lenovo Tablet, Moto G

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Idk if there is any apps for viewing which towers you are on. But I use Llama (changes profile settings depending on location) which uses which cell tower you are near. You might be able to install that app and view the towers that you are using. Maybe someone can advise an app that only shows the towers, I'll look to see if I can find one for you, it may help in finding your issue.

#10 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Yep radios look up to date. I would call customer service and ask for tier 2 tech support.

#11 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Yep the radio.IMG is flashed during a fxz or when updating through recovery. That's why I think it isn't a radio issue due to how many fxz's you have done.

#12 Brutus06

Brutus06

Drunken Monk Brewery

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Google+:leereitz12@gmail.com
  • LocationSouth Dakota
  • Current Device(s):Bionic(retired), Lenovo Tablet, Moto G

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

I bet its tower coverage, even the hour away can make a huge difference how many towers you are using. Just between work and school (which is about an two miles apart) I use completely different towers

#13 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Give this a try

#14 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Give this a try

Alright ill give this a shot and see what towers I'm using.

#15 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Alright ill give this a shot and see what towers I'm using.

Check and see if you are triangled with 2 different towers. Basically if there are 2 towers that are both around the same distance from you. If that happens your phone might be bouncing back and forth between them.

#16 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Well it showed a second one about the same distance away but only briefly, now it just shows one in the whole town. I'll turn it on tomorrow when I got to work and see what happens

#17 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Well it showed a second one about the same distance away but only briefly, now it just shows one in the whole town. I'll turn it on tomorrow when I got to work and see what happens

That could be your issue right there. Either you are bouncing back and forth between those 2 towers or if there is actually only 1 tower in your town, everybody pulling from it might cause slow speeds or hangs. My hunch is the 2 tower theory.

#18 Bratster2

Bratster2

IDK what I am

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Well at work it showed me in the wrong spot and showed me in the same tower zone as at home but didn't say I was connected.
So I tried llama and it just shows a list of towers it sees, at home it sees the same one tower Id as the other app, at work it shows 2 different ones at various times.

I'll try Verizon again, maybe get a new sim now that I'm on ics, pretty sure I was still on gb .905 when I got one before. Idk if that would change anything though.

Thanks for your help guys :)

#19 DerekWeber

DerekWeber

Non contributing ass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Twitter:@DerekWeber
  • Google+:www.google.com/+DerekWeber
  • LocationJeffery Dahmer's fridge
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Semaphore Flags

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

When 4g first came to Chicago I had perfect data, never dropped and was always fast. Nowadays it's almost useless in Chicago but works fine in Milwaukee, just an hour north. I travel for work all over the country and can tell you not all Verizon 4g is the same.
Brrrrrrr... Where's my head?

#20 giant25

giant25

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well at work it showed me in the wrong spot and showed me in the same tower zone as at home but didn't say I was connected.
So I tried llama and it just shows a list of towers it sees, at home it sees the same one tower Id as the other app, at work it shows 2 different ones at various times.

I'll try Verizon again, maybe get a new sim now that I'm on ics, pretty sure I was still on gb .905 when I got one before. Idk if that would change anything though.

Thanks for your help guys :)

A fellow Bionic owner from the Central Coast! I'm a Cal Poly, SLO grad now living just 20 minutes south of you in Arroyo Grande. I can say that since ICS (both leaks and OTA) I've had pretty solid data in AG and SLO when I visit. The only place in our area that gives me trouble is Hwy 101 around Nipomo. Granted, when I'm up in SLO, I'm usually downtown eating at Firestone's or running around town, so I don't hammer on the LTE too much, but next time I'm up there, I'll check it as much as I can.
-I would consider ANOTHER SIM card only because it's a cheap and easy fix.
-I would've recommended an FXZ, but sounds like that already went down (did you FXZ .246 or did you FXZ GB before ICS was out? Try .946 FXZ if you haven't).
-Are there any areas in town where it's worse, or is it random?
-If you ever go to Pismo, AG, Grover Beach, etc check your 4g there and let me know how it is for you. Solid for me.

Good luck, let me know how else I can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users