50 replies to this topic

#21 onemotodroid

onemotodroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Twitter:onemotodroid

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

I went thru x8 phones (droid X2) before Verizon gave me a new razr with adding 2 more years to my contract, of course.

At the time the razr was $200 with new contract. I saved the two hundred and no longer had to deal with second hand phones.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

#22 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:dunttt
  • Google+:jon36m@gmail.com
  • LocationChicago IL
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I went thru x8 phones (droid X2) before Verizon gave me a new razr with adding 2 more years to my contract, of course.

At the time the razr was $200 with new contract. I saved the two hundred and no longer had to deal with second hand phones.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Are you serious ? 8 refurbished droid x2's? Did I read that right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

#23 JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Twitter:JoeProcopio
  • LocationNYC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Maybe its harder to see on desktop but do you think a refurb model will be OK? I've never dealt with Verizon refurbished products

my maxx is a refurb...had the GNex, went through 4 phones before getting the Maxx instead...never looked back....it has been flawless. speaker, call quality, signal strength...just like a new phone
  • dunttt likes this

#24 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

my maxx is a refurb...had the GNex, went through 4 phones before getting the Maxx instead...never looked back....it has been flawless. speaker, call quality, signal strength...just like a new phone

Ahh that's good to know ! My signal strength has been going in and out a lot (my data turning from blue to white) do you ever have that happen?

#25 JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

signal has been great, except since Sandy, my 4G at work is horrible as is my buddy's GSIII (i work in midtown manhattan and they have some LTE towers being repaired in the area, but signal has been great in all other areas where my GNex signal was horrendous...I'm on the JB leak (lost root) and the phone is FANTASTIC.... as fast as it was on custom ICS builds

#26 JoeProcopio

JoeProcopio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

remember, you're dealing with Motorola refurbs, not Samsung sucky refurbs, lol
  • dunttt likes this

#27 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

remember, you're dealing with Motorola refurbs, not Samsung sucky refurbs, lol

One of the phones that asurion sent me was the Samsung Charge and that thing was horrible! It was a refurb so yeah I know all too well about samsung. Also, To me the RAZR Maxx just feels better made than the Samsung Galaxy S3
I played with the HTC DNA and the screen on that thing is amazing but I can't deal with no SD card slot that's always going to be a no go for me I can't help it . I have 2 32gb cards that I switch back and forward with downloading movies and TV shows on my computer for my daily commute to work

#28 jmaher1023

jmaher1023

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'm currently rockin a refurb maxx and it's been nothing but flawless! My first maxx's screen came loose and, believe it or not, caused major signal issues. I say go for the refurb.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 2

#29 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

You can use a file explorer (Root Explorer is what I use, and prefer). Go to the following directory:

And delete the Superuser.apk or SuperSU.apk (likely the first one); then go to: /system/bin and see if the "su" (without quotes) binary is there. If not go to /system/xbin. It will be there. Delete that binary and reboot.

Keep in mind once you do this, there is no rerooting. May I ask why you are sending the device back? Or are you taking advantage of Verizon's replacement offering if you have problems with the JB update? Lol

Arghh did the unroot using superSU, made sure superuser was gone and still showing up 1/1 in recovery ( meaning technically still rooted)

#30 DonDraper

DonDraper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationLexington, SC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

How about a pic of your screen without a red background? It doesn't look all that bad to me.

#31 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

How about a pic of your screen without a red background? It doesn't look all that bad to me.

Well its either A: keep the phone that's obviously defective when my year manufacturer warranty is about to be up or
B: return it and even.though I unrooted it it still shows up in the boot loader as 1/1 which means still rooted. Its gotta be this new JB software that's not able to be fast booted back into because I lost root completely I even tried voodoo and its still not able to restore root . I don't understand why it's still showing up 1/1 in the bootloader. Anyone think.they will look on there or just power the device on to make sure it works correctly?

#32 RNC

RNC

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I jumped on the JB leak and lost root. It was still showing up as 1/1 but root wasn't working even after restoring with OTA root keeper. To clear it up I placed the JB update on my SD card. Used matt's 1.82 utility, option 1 to wipe everything out. Mind you, the phone won't fully boot after restarting. I booted into stock recovery after doing the Fastboot restore, cleared cache and applied the JB update. That seemed to have wiped out everything and my boot loader showed 0/1. Figured I lost root so I wanted a clean JB running till a root method was found. I'm still debating if i want to swap my pristine phone for a refurb ICS phone or wait for a root method for JB.

#33 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I jumped on the JB leak and lost root. It was still showing up as 1/1 but root wasn't working even after restoring with OTA root keeper. To clear it up I placed the JB update on my SD card. Used matt's 1.82 utility, option 1 to wipe everything out. Mind you, the phone won't fully boot after restarting. I booted into stock recovery after doing the Fastboot restore, cleared cache and applied the JB update. That seemed to have wiped out everything and my boot loader showed 0/1. Figured I lost root so I wanted a clean JB running till a root method was found. I'm still debating if i want to swap my pristine phone for a refurb ICS phone or wait for a root method for JB.

You have the option of dual boot if you want JB and a fastbootable device.
Posted Image

#34 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

You have the option of dual boot if you want JB and a fastbootable device.

My understanding is after you've applied that JB update you have lost the ability to get back on ics the only way for the dual.boot option to work is to be still on ics kernels and radios right?

#35 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I was told by several people that I should be OK even if its showing up 1/1 because if they are going to void me for rooting they would do with either way if there's anything other than 0/0 showing in the boot loader. Imma still try this method anyway though cause I'm ocd like that. Lol thanks man for the info!

#36 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

You are awesome man that done the trick . Seems to be actually faster now too lol odd it may just be that I've been using the ICS refurbished that I recieved is so dang slowwww. If it wasn't for this screen I would keep this phone . I say If you have a good working model don't chance it with a refurbished just wait I'm sure a root method will be out soon! This refurbished I received feels very crappily put together its creaking when I hold it . Feels like a piece of junk so I got em sending out another to see if maybe I got a lemon the first time

#37 RNC

RNC

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

You are awesome man that done the trick . Seems to be actually faster now too lol odd it may just be that I've been using the ICS refurbished that I recieved is so dang slowwww. If it wasn't for this screen I would keep this phone . I say If you have a good working model don't chance it with a refurbished just wait I'm sure a root method will be out soon! This refurbished I received feels very crappily put together its creaking when I hold it . Feels like a piece of junk so I got em sending out another to see if maybe I got a lemon the first time

Glad to help. After doing it, my phone has been running flawless. Only thing missing is root. lol.

#38 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

My understanding is after you've applied that JB update you have lost the ability to get back on ics the only way for the dual.boot option to work is to be still on ics kernels and radios right?

Yes, in case a refurb is ordered.
Posted Image

#39 dunttt

dunttt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yes, in case a refurb is ordered.

Yes now waiting on my second device, hopefully this one will be put together decently lol the other one felt very creaky like a 5 year old put it back together :-) I think I may do that when I get a working model that I'm happy with.

#40 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I was told by several people that I should be OK even if its showing up 1/1 because if they are going to void me for rooting they would do with either way if there's anything other than 0/0 showing in the boot loader. Imma still try this method anyway though cause I'm ocd like that. Lol thanks man for the info!

VZW prefers the phone to be sent back unrooted so ur qe code would be 0/1 in that case. If you have Voodoo unroot and reboot to recovery and see if its set to 0/1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users