63 replies to this topic

#1 chipworkz

chipworkz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Some tool had to go start making comments and now both roms are gone. What is the deal? Guess I need to follow his roms on another site. Why can't some people keep their mouth shut or deal with things behind the scenes. :angry:
  • sibley likes this

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

It's being talked about as we speak "behind the scenes." The threads are just pulled for now til it is all settled.
  • BytecodeMe likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Some tool had to go start making comments and now both roms are gone. What is the deal? Guess I need to follow his roms on another site. Why can't some people keep their mouth shut or deal with things behind the scenes. :angry:

R3D is being accused of kanging and were solving the issue be hind the scenes.

Hopefully they'll be back up very soon. :)
  • sibley likes this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#4 chipworkz

chipworkz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Good to know, you can delete this thread if you see fit. I am not trying to start anything either, just don't want to see any drama drive off another Dev.
On the subject that caused this, is a Dev obligated to list ever single thing that he uses or just list the people like R3Ds did? He did include the statement "and everyone" that would cover anyone that he didn't specifically list. If it was a major part of the rom, I could understand the need to make sure the person was listed and I am not sure if the file that was stated is that big of a part of the rom or not.

Anyway, I hope it gets straightened out, we don't want to loose any Devs here.

#5 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

This is total BS....I don't care what's going on...I just want the threads re opened...Google is open source...everyone uses everyone else's stuff...even if they don't state they do or give thanks....maybe I need to find another home

#6 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Please lets give the mods a chance to get this straightened out. Negative comments arent going to help/speed up the procedure. We have a great group of staff here so lets put some faith in them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• tucstwo and Nitewolf like this

#7 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

This is total BS....I don't care what's going on...I just want the threads re opened...Google is open source...everyone uses everyone else's stuff...even if they don't state they do or give thanks....maybe I need to find another home

Same thing happens on every other site. Half of me shares your opinion. The other half disagrees for reasons I don't wanna say.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#8 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

well then you should just close down every ROM thread on this site then for the exact same reasons. Who hear has actually created anything that is theirs? It is all based off of previous works. I realize compiling and tweaking and getting things just right takes an enormous amount of time and skill but lets get real here. Does every developer here credit every one before them that created or wrote code before them? Without all the developers before them trying new things and playing with the systems no one here would know anything. Google is supposed to be open for a reason, not so people can claim they own something that they never created, only modified or tweaked, or changed to get it to work for them. Every time this issue comes up it frustrates me to no end. All it does is stop people trying to come up with newer ways to do things. It stops people from wanting to try and work with others. To teach the next generation. This is just another sad day
  • Olao99 likes this

#9 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

well then you should just close down every ROM thread on this site then for the exact same reasons. Who hear has actually created anything that is theirs? It is all based off of previous works. I realize compiling and tweaking and getting things just right takes an enormous amount of time and skill but lets get real here. Does every developer here credit every one before them that created or wrote code before them? Without all the developers before them trying new things and playing with the systems no one here would know anything. Google is supposed to be open for a reason, not so people can claim they own something that they never created, only modified or tweaked, or changed to get it to work for them. Every time this issue comes up it frustrates me to no end. All it does is stop people trying to come up with newer ways to do things. It stops people from wanting to try and work with others. To teach the next generation. This is just another sad day

I really wish this was the reality.

If Android was like this than there wouldn't be as much stress for developers, less BS for people looking to do cool crap to their phones. Make it less intense all around, I think.

I'd be interested to hear it from the perspective of somebody with the other perspective.

Dude, be the change you want to see, or at least understand why that change won't happen.

Fragmented thoughts on this lol

#10 Brian

Brian

Everyday holds a different challenge, how will you meet them?

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationAnywhere you Aren't

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Quite honestly, until all the facts are known, we should withhold judgement, not that it is ours (members) to judge. If it is a simple question of giving credit where credit is due, then I am sure the threads would be open, seeings how that is a professional courtesy, not a command. I design houses for a living, and I don't really care if someone walks through house I designed, and then builds it, after all, imitation is the greatest form of flattery, and I am actually LOSING money. I think that we should just let the staff of this site do what they feel is best, and have some trust and patience. If people don't like how the staff is running things, well, no one is keeping you here.
  • tucstwo, vtwinbmx, Nitewolf and 1 other like this

#11 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

the problem is that if someone claims that a developer copied another's work, then the developer has to prove they did not use the work. If they did and did not get permission prior to using it then the original developer can have the other thread closed down. SO basically even if credit was given but permission was not given its still not ok.

#12 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Google is open sourced, the modifications to their code are done by guys who are on the google payroll. don't you think they deserve at LEAST a tiny bit of credit if they aren't afforded Google type salaries? /done

the problem is that if someone claims that a developer copied another's work, then the developer has to prove they did not use the work. If they did and did not get permission prior to using it then the original developer can have the other thread closed down. SO basically even if credit was given but permission was not given its still not ok.

In this situation, no permission NOR credit was given. Would you like an invite into the discussion? Perhaps you can review the evidence and be the judge? What about the developers who DIDN'T run off the last time they were acused of stealing and have been giving you guys roms and mods all along? Throw those guys to the wolves because this guy decided to resurface and (allegedly) use stuff with out permission or credit?
  • johnnyfrost likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#13 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

When all of the OG Devs are gone, and Verizon stops making Razrs, what is going to be left of DroidRZR.Com?

REDs, like others, have came and gone. For a group of people that want developers to come, there is so much pushing away...

Edit: You don't see me branding anything DroidRzr exclusive... You don't see me building custom ROMs because they're only so many mods and addons one can do, it's pointless. In the end, it's all the same, except some colors, wallpaper, and a Paypal donation link.

X

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Oaklands, trikotret and Olao99 like this

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#14 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I see a lot of developers that have come and gone because of things just like this. It is sad and I think the community needs to do better in this area. I dont claim to know exactly how to do it perfectly and maybe it will never be perfect but for something that was originally made to be shared freely and openly people get very upset when they dont get credit or compensation. I truely admire how DHacker and Hascode handle there stuff. They truly do so much for everyone here and dont ask for jack crap in return. They are the true genius developers. IMO

#15 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Now everyone give the devs you all love and respect the decency to have their opportunity and DUE PROCESS. On big forums such as XDA, one dev tells a mod "hey that guy stole my stuff" and guess what, IT's GONE. FOREVER.. One this forum. We move the rom into a safe location, where pissing matches and child's play can be kept off the board. We invite all those involved. The rom creator and the accusing dev (a dev BTW, that you ALL LOVE, in this case). And we give them a due process. I don't know where you guys live, but this site is based in the USA. And here, even the accused are given their day in court. These roms are in the court room right now. And yeah, R3DS is the defendant. Does it make him guilty? NO. Absolutely NOT. Does it mean I'm, clearing his name of wrong doing?! Absolutely not. This forum has a policy, I will site it for all of those who DON' UNDERSTAND-

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, Section 7a:

"Kanging" , or copying others work will is not tolerated. Many of our developers would be more than happy to let you use portions of their code as long as you 1-ask for permission and 2- give credit. And many are fine with you just crediting their work in yours. If in doubt, ask the specific developer or contact a member of the Developer Relations team. If you are accused of kanging, this is the process: Your thread will be locked and relocated into the Developer Relations forum. A discussion will be created in the Developer Relations forum where staff and other developers can discuss the accusation and produce proof. If you are found to have stolen work without permission or credit you will be given the opportunity to make the proper request there. At which point your thread will be amended and moved back into the proper forum. We don't want to kick out people because of kanging but multiple offenses will not be tolerated and you may be suspended indefinitely if you become a repeat offender.

Now, If ANYONE DOESNT understand why we have this poilcy or what its set up the way it is, you are MORE than welcome to PM ME and I will explain it to you as BEST I can. In the MEAN time. Get off of the staffs back, get off of the devs back. And SIT TIGHT and WAIT until it's sorted out. If there are STILL those who DON'T agree with those rules, I will be MORE than happy to show you the door and to the forums who don't take 10 seconds to put in this kind of effort to work these kinds of things out.
  • vtwinbmx and johnnyfrost like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#16 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I see a lot of developers that have come and gone because of things just like this. It is sad and I think the community needs to do better in this area. I dont claim to know exactly how to do it perfectly and maybe it will never be perfect but for something that was originally made to be shared freely and openly people get very upset when they dont get credit or compensation. I truely admire how DHacker and Hascode handle there stuff. They truly do so much for everyone here and dont ask for jack crap in return. They are the true genius developers. IMO

Things Like What? Having their hard work and effort taken from them without an oz of credit? Or being called on the carpet when they're caught? It goes both ways. And I'm not saying R3DS is a part of EITHER PARTY. That's WHY we have a "due process" protocol on this forum. Again, it's all laid out in the site rules and guidelines if you're not understanding how it works here. We don't just arbitrarily pull roms and boot people. We give them their day in court,
  • johnnyfrost likes this

#17 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

While I understand your point and agree about DHacker and Hashcode, the other side of that is if you are a Rom Dev and take some Android open source software and then spend hours, days or weeks re-coding it for your purpose then someone just takes it an uses it as there own with asking or credit I can see how this can be offensive.

For example if you create your own unique app in the Play store then someone took it and changed the icon and called it their own would that be fair??
  • tucstwo likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#18 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

well I was reading what you said and basically agreeing with most of it until I saw that part about " I will be MORE than happy to show you the door"
Not very Admin of you to say that.

I understand the procedure now and it does make sense. I will refrain from being angry about this anymore, I just dont want any good developers leaving anymore.

#19 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

While I understand your point and agree about DHacker and Hashcode, the other side of that is if you are a Rom Dev and take some Android open source software and then spend hours, days or weeks re-coding it for your purpose then someone just takes it an uses it as there own with asking or credit I can see how this can be offensive.

For example if you create your own unique app in the Play store then someone took it and changed the icon and called it their own would that be fair??

I need to think about it a bit but if it was a paid app then definitely thats a problem. If it was a free one..hmmmm

for some reason in my mind being on the play store is different. It feels like more of a store environment rather than posting it up for free on a web forum. Interesting idea to think about though

#20 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

well I was reading what you said and basically agreeing with most of it until I saw that part about " I will be MORE than happy to show you the door"
Not very Admin of you to say that.

I understand the procedure now and it does make sense. I will refrain from being angry about this anymore, I just dont want any good developers leaving anymore.

Understand what I meant in saying that. What I was saying is that if you as a member of our forum, don't appreciate the kind of effort that goes into these "kanging accusations" than we all gladly invite you to go to a forum that does. This kind of, behind the scenes "Kang Court", its freaking unheard of. And if you honestly think that we as a management team don't try to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in our power to attempt to settle these issues in the most cordial and professional of ways, the by all means, find a place that does, because I promise you sir, you will be searching for a while. MOST Android forums have a 0 tolerance policy when it comes to Kanging. We are most likely the ONLY forum you belong to that gives these kind of scenarios a due process. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it;s not happening. Would you believe me if I told you this website has at least 10 forums that aren't visible to the general members? It's not because we don't want you guys to hang out, it's because we conduct business on several levels "behind the scenes" in an effort to make this place and awesome and as family and friendly oriented as it's been.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users