• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

What did he use from another ROM ?

#42 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Some files that were created by another developer.
Before anyone posts more in this thread, please read the rules that are at the bottom right of every page on this forum.
Here is a link, and a excerpt from the part that pertains to this.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

7 - "Kanging"
a. Kanging, or copying others work will is not tolerated. Many of our developers would be more than happy to let you use portions of their code as long as you 1-ask for permission and 2- give credit. And many are fine with you just crediting their work in yours. If in doubt, ask the specific developer or contact a member of the Administration team. If you are accused of kanging, this is the process: Your thread will be locked and relocated into the Developer Mediation forum. A discussion will be created in the Developer Mediation forum where staff and other developers can discuss the accusation and produce proof. If you are found to have stolen work without permission or credit you will be given the opportunity to make the proper request there. At which point your thread will be amended and moved back into the proper forum. We don't want to kick out people because of kanging but multiple offenses will not be tolerated and you may be suspended indefinitely if you become a repeat offender.

Also, everyone needs to understand that this is not something that we as staff seek out and enforce. This is something that we respond to when another developer brings it to our attention. This happens behind the scenes and usually the thread is restored.
This is our way of trying to keep this place fair for all of the developers. All R3ds had to do was credit the work, that he agreed he used, inj his post. He refused and asked to be removed from the forum.
  • joe53787 likes this

#43 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

What did he use from another ROM ?

Android.Policy.jar
Services.jar
SystemUI.apk Android Manifest

Which translates to: 1% battery, pull down notification toggles and the power menu. Basically all of the mods done to the framework. There was plenty of theme work he did to those roms, but the base of it wasn't really his. It was someone else's rom that he themed and added a few things to.

The part I can't seem to understand is why he couldn't just amend his op? I don't know, I can't answer for him. But everyone was totally cool. The guys who wrote the original code were cool with him using it and keeping it. All we were asking was that he follow "basic dev respect code" and put their name in the OP of his roms. He chose to be stubborn and leave our forum instead. Don't know what else to say on this.
  • hectorlumbago likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#44 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I would like to chime in here real fast. I agree that the process we have needs to be altered in some way shape or form. If it were my perfect world, the staff would never have to be involved. The devs would settle things amongst themselves and press on. Some do, actually a lot of them do. There sometimes seems to be one that really just fights and don't want to talk things out and makes things more difficult than they need to be. That's one of the cases we have here.

If I remember correctly, R3D was contacted by the dev who had concerns but neglected to respond. They then came to the staff for help. Had R3D responded and just said my mistake, added credits, and pressed on then we wouldn't be here now and nobody would be any the wiser of what happened.

That's neither here nor there now though. What's done is done, we need to make things better for everyone. The reason the site has the ask permission rule is because we asked them all a while ago what they think the rules should be for using work and they responded with ask permission and give credit. We are enforcing a rule that they asked us to have. Each dev has their own requirements for using their work, its like that everywhere. I am not going to judge them on that or tell them otherwise. I will respect what they ask and leave it at that.

After today, I do have plans to get with the devs again and see if we can establish a better foundation for these situations though. I truly believe that things like this can be dealt with quicker and in a manner that makes all parties happy without stripping them of their respect, dignity, privacy, and beliefs. Its just a matter of how to get there. I apologize personally to all involved and hope to make things better.

P.S. sorry if what I have said is all over there place. My thoughts are all over today.

HD Tappin and Talkin From my N7
  • cvhovey and tmyinc like this

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#45 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

It seems funny it always seems that dev. Want to move on from here other then the few that are on the buddy list! Why is that I wonder????

I haven't seen many Dev's moving on from here. There's been a few disagreements since I have been a member, but they all seem to work out. What exactly are you accusing this site of? I am just a member but I have always seen the staff and moderators step in and quell any issues. They have always seemed to be fair. Why are you so bent out of shape?
  • Thach and vtwinbmx like this
Posted Image

#46 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I think we need to move on. If it was R3Ds decision to leave the site, so be it. Thanks for everyone's input :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• neckchop and robthefive0 like this

#47 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think we need to move on. If it was R3Ds decision to leave the site, so be it. Thanks for everyone's input :)

I just wanted to thank you trikotret for trying to get more devs to the forum and being so understanding during all this. Im not sure if you remember me from the old OG Droid D.F. days but you always seemed like an upstanding person. And I commend you for that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Thach, trikotret and neckchop like this

#48 fishaholic

fishaholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Same thing happened last time R3DS was on here months ago. He has his own website for those who want his ROMs.

I mash up my own ROMs for my personal use and liking but would NEVER try to make it available... I have no clue where a lot of the mods I use even started from lol

#49 Rinkle McBally

Rinkle McBally

Perv McGert

• Developer
  • 860 posts
  • Twitter:Rinkle_McBally
  • Google+:RinkleMcBally22@gmail.com
  • LocationForest Lake MN
  • Current Device(s):S3 D2vzw, Galaxy Tab 2

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Lock it up enough has been said ;)

rink2_zps72b73afa.png

**** If you want a signature, wallpaper or avatar done feel free to hit me up send me a pm ****

#50 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

I would rather leave it open for anyone that has comments or questions. Better to have it all in one thread than for new threads to pop up.
  • trikotret likes this

#51 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I just wanted to thank you trikotret for trying to get more devs to the forum and being so understanding during all this. Im not sure if you remember me from the old OG Droid D.F. days but you always seemed like an upstanding person. And I commend you for that.

Thank you sir for your kind comments :)

#52 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Thank you sir for your kind comments :)

You are welcome. I hit my quota for likes already today so this is my "like" too lol. Looks like Thach has unlimited likes. How do i get on that plan? ;)

#53 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

You are welcome. I hit my quota for likes already today so this is my "like" too lol. Looks like Thach has unlimited likes. How do i get on that plan? ;)

Just ask and I will gouge your pockets like Verizon but hey, you van have unlimited like :-P lol

• tmyinc likes this

#54 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Just ask and I will gouge your pockets like Verizon but hey, you van have unlimited like :-P lol

Haha between you and VZW i will be broke and homeless. Can I have a tiered like plan then please? Lol :P

• Thach likes this

#55 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Haha between you and VZW i will be broke and homeless. Can I have a tiered like plan then please? Lol :P

Hows about you get the first 3 months free but there is a 25 likes in a 24 hour period limit lol. Give it a try :P
  • tmyinc likes this

#56 dubsx

dubsx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 400 posts
  • Twitter:dubs_x
  • LocationThe OH

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I think the moral of the story is this:
Yes, android is open source.
Yes, to some degree, everyone ultimately uses someone else's code at some point.

That said, If you know who's stuff you are using, ASK PERMISSION to use and/or post it and GIVE APPROPRIATE CREDIT. Simple.

If it is brought to your attention that you are using someone else's work, DO THE RIGHT THING and follow the rules. If you are not willing to thank the people that have helped you then I question your morality anyway. To those (like R3DS, who refused to just do the right thing and give specific, public credit), good riddance. People are always going to toy with android. If development for your phone slows down...get to learnin' ;)

As a "quasi" dev, I acknowledge that I did not teach myself everything that I know. I had help. Lots of it. Those people deserve nothing less than my respect and thanks for their contributions.

annnnd I'm done :)

• Thach, Narffran, androidlearner and 4 others like this
Posted Image

#57 chipworkz

chipworkz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thank you Thatch and the rest of the staff. When I started this thread, I was thinking more along the lines that R3Ds pulled his roms because he didn't want to deal with any drama. I am currently on his rom so when the threads were suddenly just gone, I thought it sucked since I spend 99% of my time on this site in regards to my phones. Since you stated that you want to revise this process, here are a couple of my suggestions if you are interested.

Instead of moving the threads to an unseen area for the reasons Tucstwo stated "1 to preserve them as they were when the accusation came out and 2 to prevent any flame wars that may fire up while the issue is being mediated." why not just post a quick statement that the rom is being looked at for possible issues etc... and then lock the thread instead of removing it from public view. This is of course based on a user not being able to delete a post or the OP removing the thread in a locked thread.
If a thread has to be pulled, it is a good idea to put out the reason(s) why it was pulled and I am sure most of us would be good with that and this would greatly reduce some of the posts like we have seen in this thread. The lack of information makes people start assuming things as I did and feeds the issue that I know none of us wants to see here.

It is unfortunate that R3Ds did not want to do the right thing as it appears by the information this thread has produced. Although some of the things could have been said in a different light, I think some good comments have come out in this thread and maybe can be considered in how future incidents like this are handled.

I think a few tweaks to the process can help with this issue in the future. Again, thanks to all the staff and the Devs for making this a great site.
  • Oaklands likes this

#58 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

I may not have a voice in this and I may not have the right to say this but..... common courtesy!!! ladies and gentleman.. common courtesy!!!..... these pissing contests can be greatly avoided... and or minimized..... sorry if I am out of line... but its how I feel about the whole thing ....

Edit..... damn slo data while driving .... sent this over an hour ago.... just now showing up.....
sent from my JB RAZR .... tapadriving

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#59 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

When all of the OG Devs are gone, and Verizon stops making Razrs, what is going to be left of DroidRZR.Com?

REDs, like others, have came and gone. For a group of people that want developers to come, there is so much pushing away...

Edit: You don't see me branding anything DroidRzr exclusive... You don't see me building custom ROMs because they're only so many mods and addons one can do, it's pointless. In the end, it's all the same, except some colors, wallpaper, and a Paypal donation link.

X

Well put. I agree. We ask for more developers and then slam them. If you aren't a member of clan then you get black balled. I appreciate everyone's work and have donated to several people. Some I donated and found out they left out features I needed but did I gripe to get my money back. Heck no. I just wanted to help encourage people to develop. X if you had a donate link, I would be sending money to you as well as I love your Dual Boot.

Edit: X I forgot to ask you if I could copy or quote your post before agreeing with you. Please forgive me if I have upset you.

#60 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

I just want to publicly apologize to R3DS for bringing the nightmares back. I ran R3Ds roms back in the Thunderbolt days until now and I personally asked him to share his roms on this site again for us crackflashers. I told him that drama is no longer existing but I guess I am wrong. I just hope whoever is doing the investigation or whatever you want to call it to be fair and not bias.

Don't feel bad. I have been doing the same since the first time he left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users