• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#21 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

oh I am sure there are many unseen boards. I actually run my own web forum on a much smaller scale for a completely different subject. I am well aware of the behind the scenes things that take place and all the time that goes into that. I give you guys kudos for trying to solve the issue fairly.

#22 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

oh I am sure there are many unseen boards. I actually run my own web forum on a much smaller scale for a completely different subject. I am well aware of the behind the scenes things that take place and all the time that goes into that. I give you guys kudos for trying to solve the issue fairly.

Well then I hope that from this point forward we are all on the same page. Considering you have had intimate experiences. I hope you personally no longer view us as the "big bad corporation type". Understand that if we stick up for the devs, we're accused of not protecting the members, yet if we stick up for the members, we're accused of not protecting the devs. It's ALWAYS a touchy subject which is why we want tGuys, will reply to this SERIOUSLY OFF TOPIC POST out of view. The "Where members are" list is updated hourly at BEST. Now if you're all concerned that much, you know here to bring it up and you both know here is NOT is. Seriously Guy?o be as fair as we possibly can be to ALL parties involved. It may seem 20/20 to someone who just happened to sign on and see the forum management "roughing up" a specific person. But I also feel that you are wise enough a person to realise that we, as a staff, gain nothing from bashing guys arbitrarily. Can you honestly say that anyone of the adionistraots on this form have any type of conflict of interest, gpod or bad directed tp any one suh personl.?

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#23 charlie115

charlie115

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:22 AM

When all of the OG Devs are gone, and Verizon stops making Razrs, what is going to be left of DroidRZR.Com?

REDs, like others, have came and gone. For a group of people that want developers to come, there is so much pushing away...

Edit: You don't see me branding anything DroidRzr exclusive... You don't see me building custom ROMs because they're only so many mods and addons one can do, it's pointless. In the end, it's all the same, except some colors, wallpaper, and a Paypal donation link.

X

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thank you!!!!!!!! Every dam dev. Does the same thing as R3D!!!! Every time I see a new ROM posted I see countless individuals not being asked or credited!!!!!

#24 pushrod88

pushrod88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Current Device(s):XT912 RAZR

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Drama

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#25 cvhovey

cvhovey

Post Traumatic nOOb Disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I'm not going to take either side here. Nor have I moderated a forum. However, I've managed multiple field offices of a state agency and multiple times have had to deal with disciplinary actions. In one case, I was directly ordered by the agency's personnel manager to fire one of my case workers allegedly on the basis that said employee had admitted to the (alleged) wrongdoing. Since I had been away from the office when the 'hearing' was held, upon being ordered to fire the employee, I requested the hearing transcript to document the facts before acting. Turns out the transcript did not back-up the personnel manager. Knowing I could be terminated without any recourse for refusing a direct order from central administration, I declined the order. Eventually the whole issue was dropped when the personnel manager could not find anyone above me who would comply with her order. So, yeah, I do understand part of the emotions and drama that goes on. Trying to be fair to both sides can be like putting a jigsaw puzzle together while blindfolded.

WIth that said, my feeling is that pulling a thread or threads before an accusation has been carefully examined would be akin to my having suspended the above employee example on the basis of an allegation, before it had been fully examined. Would it honestly have upset the world order by waiting a few more days, completing the behind the scenes review, then taking the proper action? These are just phones, not war crimes that require immediate intervention. Pulling threads viewed by members before completing a review of the allegations only seems to create far MORE drama and take up MORE staff time dealing with the fall-out it (thread removal) creates ... while reviewing the allegations behind the scenes.

That's just my two cents.

DISCLAIMER: Some or all of the words or phrases used in my response may have been used by others in the past, after much hard work, hence I credit any and all for helping me develop this product for which I claim no creative credit.
  • bweaver11b and BytecodeMe like this

Droid Razr M XT907 B/L Unlocked - Stock Rooted

#26 Guest_R3Ds_*

Guest_R3Ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I'm still waiting for credits to the power toggles app in other ROMs. No credit or play store link to original app. Maybe that dev should come here and cause havoc.

R3Ds Themes

• Oaklands, trikotret, fastfoodfred and 1 other like this

#27 chipworkz

chipworkz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

As ad admin of a web forum myself, I understand the logistics of what is going on. As hit on above, I feel that pulling threads down while things are being sorted out is more of a statement that the party is guilty until proven innocent instead of innocent until proven guilty. It draws attention to the drama and causes a lot more issues than if the behind the scenes stuff was dealt with and the resolution came at the end. Whether that is the Dev updates the thread with the proper credit or the thread is removed with an explanation of why.

I have been a member for a while now and watched all the posts when Devs left last time because of things like this, I know the staff is trying there best to deal with this in the best way possible but maybe the process can be re looked at and see if maybe there is a better way as I mentioned.

I don't know all the details here but I also think it should be up to the Devs to communicate between themselves first and not let members chime in on a Dev not giving credit and such...
If a Dev goes to the staff because he/she could not resolve the issue, then the staff should step in and be a mediator. If a resolution can not settled, then the thread should be pulled if that is necessary.

Just my 2 cents on this.
Thanks to all the Devs and the staff who help make this a great site.
  • cvhovey, trikotret and BytecodeMe like this

#28 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

I just want to publicly apologize to R3DS for bringing the nightmares back. I ran R3Ds roms back in the Thunderbolt days until now and I personally asked him to share his roms on this site again for us crackflashers. I told him that drama is no longer existing but I guess I am wrong. I just hope whoever is doing the investigation or whatever you want to call it to be fair and not bias.
  • cvhovey, Oaklands and pushrod88 like this

#29 Guest_R3Ds_*

Guest_R3Ds_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I just want to publicly apologize to R3DS for bringing the nightmares back. I ran R3Ds roms back in the Thunderbolt days until now and I personally asked him to share his roms on this site again for us crackflashers. I told him that drama is no longer existing but I guess I am wrong. I just hope whoever is doing the investigation or whatever you want to call it to be fair and not bias.

Its not your fault, I just never moved the credit from change log to ROM features. Its all good bro. I knew this was coming since it happens to me all the time. Even if I give credits or not. I just can believe that people take ownership of open source. I guess it depends on who does the kang.

R3Ds Themes

• cvhovey, Oaklands and trikotret like this

#30 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

As ad admin of a web forum myself, I understand the logistics of what is going on. As hit on above, I feel that pulling threads down while things are being sorted out is more of a statement that the party is guilty until proven innocent instead of innocent until proven guilty. It draws attention to the drama and causes a lot more issues than if the behind the scenes stuff was dealt with and the resolution came at the end. Whether that is the Dev updates the thread with the proper credit or the thread is removed with an explanation of why.

I have been a member for a while now and watched all the posts when Devs left last time because of things like this, I know the staff is trying there best to deal with this in the best way possible but maybe the process can be re looked at and see if maybe there is a better way as I mentioned.

I don't know all the details here but I also think it should be up to the Devs to communicate between themselves first and not let members chime in on a Dev not giving credit and such...
If a Dev goes to the staff because he/she could not resolve the issue, then the staff should step in and be a mediator. If a resolution can not settled, then the thread should be pulled if that is necessary.

Just my 2 cents on this.
Thanks to all the Devs and the staff who help make this a great site.

You are describing the process to the T. This is exactly how the process works. Only thing I will add is that we lock the threads and move them into the mediation area for 2 reasons: 1 to preserve them as they were when the accusation came out and 2 to prevent any flame wars that may fire up while the issue is being mediated. We are really just waiting on 1 dev to decide what they want to do so we can move the thread back.

Its not your fault, I just never moved the credit from change log to ROM features. Its all good bro. I knew this was coming since it happens to me all the time. Even if I give credits or not. I just can believe that people take ownership of open source. I guess it depends on who does the kang.

R3Ds Themes

AOSP is the only part of Android that is open source. anything else thats done to it is specific peoples creative work. What you're saying is I can take one of your roms, change the boot animation, change its name and release it as mine? After all, it's open source. What does it matter that you spent hours theming it?

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#31 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

It really is simple guys. If you put other people's work in your rom, at the very least credit them. I don't understand why this is an issue. Just give them credit, and move on.
  • trikotret, tucstwo, Nitewolf and 3 others like this

#32 chiahead52

chiahead52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Giving credit is not enough you have to get permission and credit and sometimes it's hard to know where the original credit needs to go to I mean if 1 person makes something and then it gets transferred into various other roms it's hard to track down where it came from

I wish it was just a simple is giving credit and it was done

#33 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, well in this case it was very obvious where the work came from.

#34 johnnyfrost

johnnyfrost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I see a lot of developers that have come and gone because of things just like this. It is sad and I think the community needs to do better in this area. I dont claim to know exactly how to do it perfectly and maybe it will never be perfect but for something that was originally made to be shared freely and openly people get very upset when they dont get credit or compensation. I truely admire how DHacker and Hascode handle there stuff. They truly do so much for everyone here and dont ask for jack crap in return. They are the true genius developers. IMO

Even if android is open source, spending days and weeks recoding and making something custom deserves some credit and certainly deserves being asked if it can be used in something else. Doesn't matter if android is "free" or not. That persons time is worth at least asking if it can be used elsewhere. It's one thing to forget to give credit, its another thing to take a piece of code that took 30 man hours to compile and just take it without asking.

You would be singing a different tune if it happened to you I'm sure. Not understanding why you are so bent out of shape. you're not involved in this, you're just mad because the rom is temporarily gone. PM the dev and have him send you a link....
  • Thach likes this

#35 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

I said it before and Ill say it again. Back in the OG droid days, no one needed permission to use other developers work. All they had to do was credit their work. But here the rules are to get permission. In that case, if Moto contacts this site and asks them remove all the roms, would they comply. I doubt moto gave permission to kang their work. Its all good. I can easily get R3Ds roms from his site but its not fair that to the community. My 2 pennies.
  • Olao99 likes this

#36 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I said it before and Ill say it again. Back in the OG droid days, no one needed permission to use other developers work. All they had to do was credit their work. But here the rules are to get permission. In that case, if Moto contacts this site and asks them remove all the roms, would they comply. I doubt moto gave permission to kang their work. Its all good. I can easily get R3Ds roms from his site but its not fair that to the community. My 2 pennies.

Ok, well he copied, and did not give credit. The devs that made the work even gave him permission after the fact. All he had to do was add their credit in his OP. He chose to be removed from our site instead.

#37 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Ok, well he copied, and did not give credit. The devs that made the work even gave him permission after the fact. All he had to do was add their credit in his OP. He chose to be removed from our site instead.

Oh well. Life goes on. :(

#38 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Sorry guys, R3DS chose the hard way on this one. Just so it's out there, he's gone because he chose to. He doesn't want to amend his threads to give the other dev the credit for their work. He doesn't appear to want to change his roms to exclude others work from it. He doesn't want to be a member of the community. So before it goes all haywire..I'm puttin this all out here now.

I'm sorry it has to be this way, there was an easy solution, R3DS chose not to go that route. Why? Ask him.

#39 charlie115

charlie115

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

It seems funny it always seems that dev. Want to move on from here other then the few that are on the buddy list! Why is that I wonder????

#40 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

It seems funny it always seems that dev. Want to move on from here other then the few that are on the buddy list! Why is that I wonder????

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say. Could you try one more time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users