• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 blindman

blindman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Would you give up your unlimited data plan in order to save $30/ month. I've never used more than 2Gigs. Hate to do it but I feel like I'm peeing $360/ yr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#2 noclifs

noclifs

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

1-20-2013 I'm free to. I average 68mb a month.

#3 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

My fiancee and i average about 43 gb a month.. no we are clinging to our unlimited data. at least till our term is up then.. maybe switching
to who i have no clue
  • wabmorgan likes this
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#4 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'll be staying on unlimited for sure. I very from a few hundred mb to nearly a hundred gb each month. That being said, it won't necessarily always be with Verizon.

#5 luke61456789

luke61456789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

We have 5 lines on unlimited data as soon as the contracts up there's no way were staying with greedy rear end Verizon

#6 JJT211

JJT211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I was like that until I decided to just drop my home internet and take advantage of my unlimited. I save $60/month. No other carrier has the kinda data speeds verizon does

#7 jmaher1023

jmaher1023

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

I have 3 lines with unlimited data. My main line's contract just ran out but I will most likely pay full retail for a new phone to keep my unlimited data. I can't get cable or dsl where I live and my Verizon 4G has a strong signal so it is my main source for internet access. I use anywhere between 50 and 100 GB of data per month so changing to a shared plan is not an option and no other cell company can give me the coverage or speed Verizon does.

#8 luke61456789

luke61456789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I was like that until I decided to just drop my home internet and take advantage of my unlimited. I save $60/month. No other carrier has the kinda data speeds verizon does

I know they don't its not even funny how much faster Verizon is its quick but... I refuse to give them my business and I can't afford to drop to a limited data plan

#9 RHChan84

RHChan84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Twitter:rchan84
  • LocationMedford, Ma

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

No way. I end up spending more a month with 5 lines and I lose unlimited. Even the guy at VZW said to stay where I am.
Droid RAZR MAXX (JB/Rooted)

#10 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I hate not getting the upgrade discount.... BUT... I would rather pay retail for the phone than give up unlimited data.

#11 blindman

blindman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

For you all that don't use your phone for primary internet, what do you do to use so much data? Downloading movies...?

#12 RHChan84

RHChan84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMedford, Ma

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

I travel a lot so I watch Netflix and listen to slacker all the time. Hotel connection is usually bogged down from everyone else using it so I use LTE which is faster an little to no buffer

#13 BADDINOROX99

BADDINOROX99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

na its not worth it losing your unlimited data for discounts upgrades etc. I've bin buying my phones for full retail price for 3 years now and last month I don't know if you guys saw the commercial from Verizon if you upgrade or add a line with new 2 year contract or activation you could get a free Droid Razr and my wife wanted 1 for Christmas so I went and I did an alternate upgrade because her line is limited anyway 2 gigabyte and I'm unlimited instead of free I ended up paying $278.29 that's BS just stay on your unlimited plan I played it smart and kept my unlimited data I don't mind paying what I paid it was Christmas and that's what she wanted bottom line is not worth it

#14 illb1u2

illb1u2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Those that are using more than 20 gig a phone are the main reason why unlimited went away no different than cable and DSL company's people using 200gig+ a month I use 8-10 and its mostly cause ive been trying out different ROMs. But I agree I sell vzw. 4g out in the country there is nothing that compares hopefully th t-mo no contract Price will move throughout all cell carriers should drive down cost of my monthly bill

#15 fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

I think the limit is due to had fast the network is. They spent the money to have it built. Now they want to collect on their investment.

#16 cedricl

cedricl

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I bought myself and my wife the Droid Razr Maxx when Verizon first announced the shared data plans. I paid full price to keep our grandfathered unlimited data. I knew I needed a good phone to last for a while. With streaming movies, internet radio, and making video calls, we use a lot of data. I travel a lot around the country and no other service compares to Verizon’s coverage. I do not pay the high hotel internet fees, I just set up a hotspot and go. Yeah, Verizon is expensive. But I have been places with my co-workers where the only phones that worked were Verizon’s. That’s when we (Verizon users) laughed at the others guys when they asked to use our phone to call their wives. Paying full price to be on Verizon’s unlimited data is worth it. I use my phone for whatever I want without worrying about it. I use between 15 and 20 gigs a month, but my wife uses a lot less. You never know when your lifestyle will change and you need more data. Once you give up unlimited data, there is no going back.
  • The Persuader likes this

#17 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Would you give up your unlimited data plan in order to save $30/ month. I've never used more than 2Gigs. Hate to do it but I feel like I'm peeing $360/ yr. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My Fear is Bait n Switch...2 Gig same hear...but than the Increase in the Base 2 Gig Plan...The Question is When?

I am Grandfathered to Unlimited and thats where I will stay...

Its Bubba

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#18 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

Would you give up your unlimited data plan in order to save $30/ month. I've never used more than 2Gigs. Hate to do it but I feel like I'm peeing $360/ yr.

Give up unlimited to save $30? No way. You don't save at all because the NEW plan works where if you have a smartphone, the tack on $30 for the smart phone (in addition to the $9.99) and THEN charge you for whatever data plan you get. You don't end up saving money. You spend MORE.

Not worth it at all and in fact it's a rip off. However, we are planning on getting my daughter's smartphones, so we'll have to add them onto a plan.

For some reason, Verizon is showing when we do it, I keep my unlimited and I can give my daughter's 2gb/month (each) for $30/month (each). After my discount through my employer, it comes to about $200 + tax and other fees. It's still going to be over $60/month more than what I'm currently paying and THAT'S because wonderful Verizon tacks on $40/month for a smart phone and $30/month for non-smart phones. In the end, it's still a little cheaper than what we would have had to do in the past when there was no share plan. However, this isn't a "share" plan if you ask me as I'm having to get a data plan for each phone. But, I figured this would be good to do since my daughters can tether off of me when we're not around WiFi since I would still have unlimited data.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#19 johnnyfrost

johnnyfrost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Give up unlimited to save $30? No way. You don't save at all because the NEW plan works where if you have a smartphone, the tack on $30 for the smart phone (in addition to the $9.99) and THEN charge you for whatever data plan you get. You don't end up saving money. You spend MORE.

Are you talking about the share everything plans? I think you're confusing how the plans work. You pay for talk, text, and data for X amount then either $40 or $30 per device. That's it. I'm not sure why you're thinking you have to pay $40 per phone then $30 for data per line plus 9.99? There is no 9.99 charge with the share everything plans. We have the 4GB plan, 2 smartphones and 1 regular phone and with a 15% discount its $175 a month. Not that bad actually. Unless you're setting yours up differently than I'm thinking of....

#20 RHChan84

RHChan84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMedford, Ma

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

The Share everything plans cost for me if I switch over and I lose unlimited.

It would cost me a little over $25/month more for the shared data and I have to watch what I do since it was the 16GB shared between me (I use 10GB/month), my finance (1.5GB/Month), father (1.5GB/month) and my MiFi (4GB/month) and my mother (dumbphone). Over a period of 20 months contract it will cost me $500 more then what I have now and then a phone is $300ish so that's a total of $800 more whereas I buy a phone outright and pay $700ish and keep unlimited.

Hotel and airport wifi are crazy expensive as well. I just turn on my MiFi and I have internet there and not worry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users