Photo

Wanting To Create A Backup... There Are Multiple Options.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 alansirhc

alansirhc

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Got it working just fine and created my first backup :)

Now just wondering if I want to install the CWR "boot every time" option haha.

If you aren't messing with roms at all (at all), there isn't really much point in either recovery, is there? Safestrap is definitely overkill for you, and can cause updating issues later on because it hyjacks the /preinstall folder that updates check for. It can be fixed, but why bother with it when you aren't doing roms? Bootstrap at least can't hurt anything, so it's probably a better fit.

I switched back to bootstrap a couple days ago, and put on the 'boot every time' thing. It (the boot every time thing) also adds to the /preinstall folder, but I don't think it removes the normal stuff from it. Updating should be pretty simple.

Both bootstrap and safestrap actually ARE hacked up versions of CWR, by the way. CWR doesn't install and run the way they should because of our locked bootloader, so we resort to BS/SS versions.

#22 stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationIn the Sac of CA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

^ Gotcha.

It would be nice if there was a "timeout" option on CWR when it boots everytime. Ive got the HP TP running CM7 and it always boots to the CWR screen first. But if you dont touch anything, it will just boot up in like 6 seconds or something like that.

#23 stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

Ok so i also installed my backup Pro so i can freez apps.

Soooo.. with OTAs I know I will have to:
-unfreez the frozen apps
-i have voodoo rootkeeper, temp unroot
-do i need to do anything with BS before trying to install an OTA?

EDIT:
And can you change the name of the recovery folder that is created?
In the ClockworkRecovery folder on my SD card it has a "backup" folder. Then each individual backup has its own folder with the same of the folder being the time the backup was created.

Can I change the name of the folder from the time to say "stock backup", "frozen bloat backup" ect ect? Would that effect deploying the backup at all?

#24 stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

And can you change the name of the recovery folder that is created?
In the ClockworkRecovery folder on my SD card it has a "backup" folder. Then each individual backup has its own folder with the same of the folder being the time the backup was created.

Can I change the name of the folder from the time to say "stock backup", "frozen bloat backup" ect ect? Would that effect deploying the backup at all?

Anyone know if you can change the name of the folder?

#25 tyrthas

tyrthas

CassDroid's Personal Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter:@tyrthas
  • Google+:Ron Becker
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Anyone know if you can change the name of the folder?

I did on my Evo. Just follow the layout. No special characters or spaces and all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#26 stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

So you have to leave it then add more to the end?
According to this:

You have to leave the date and time, or you will mess up the md5 sum. I learned this one the hard way. Leave the date and time alone, then add an underscore _ then the name you want to call it. Ie: 2012-02-11.04.53.55_Eclipse_Done

#27 tyrthas

tyrthas

CassDroid's Personal Stalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter:@tyrthas
  • Google+:Ron Becker
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

According to this:

I didn't do it that way. I left date but that's all. I will look back but... follow that advice just to be safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#28 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

According to this:

you can rename the folder to anything you want once the backup is done. Just don't go into the folder and change anythign. As an example I test a lot of roms and I have multiple backups in the clockworkmod/backup folder. I name them like this Stock173w4everRoot21212, EclispeBeta2-21012, AbsymExtICS2112. By doing so i know which ROM it is and what theme install as well as the date it was backed up.

#29 stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

you can rename the folder to anything you want once the backup is done. Just don't go into the folder and change anythign. As an example I test a lot of roms and I have multiple backups in the clockworkmod/backup folder. I name them like this Stock173w4everRoot21212, EclispeBeta2-21012, AbsymExtICS2112. By doing so i know which ROM it is and what theme install as well as the date it was backed up.

And you have restored them successfully after the rename?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users