• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Twitter:JonWGee
  • Google+:jonwgee
  • LocationDekalb IL

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Now, I have an on-topic question:

8/21 nightly, and the past few nightlies: I get an AOKP keyboard FC (Hacker KB is my default), and SD cards (int and ext) are unwritable in any mode from a PC. Read is dodgy (sometimes I have to reseat the USB, but it's definitely not electrical).

I've wiped cache/dcache trying to address the AOKP keyboard FC popups. No change.

Everything else is spec.tac.u.lar! I like this ROM! I never boot my other slots now. Srsly. Scared to. Imagine all the Play Store updates... Yikes.

I've been running android phones for 4 years and never had a need to hook up my phone to the pc other that to sbf or fastboot. What function are you performing that requires you to write to the SD card from your pc?

By way of Tapatalk

maxx

#2362 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

Cleaned up the thread... Let's get back to rom talk and troubleshooting...  :)

OK, be that way, Memnoch.  :rolleyes:

But It needs repeating: CM10 is easily the best distro for the XT912. My Rage, Eclipse, Black Widow, and stock slots are THIS CLOSE to being deleted.

What's the best way to nuke the AOKP keyboard, or prevent it from starting? Those FC popups are aggravating and I don't use the AOKP keyboard. Titanium freeze? Rom TB? ssh + vi or rm? What activities depend on AOKP keyboard? (What important activities will break if I nuke it?)

If I lived . I'd be ~ by now.

#2363 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

I've been running android phones for 4 years and never had a need to hook up my phone to the pc other that to sbf or fastboot. What function are you performing that requires you to write to the SD card from your pc?

By way of Tapatalk

Downloading patches, and copying test APKs for apps I have to maintain, mostly.

My workaround is to use scp via SSHdroid Pro over wifi. It'd be nice to use drag-n-drool from Linux or Windows though.

I'm playing around with mount and watching the logs. I'll report if I find a cause that has public value, but it's almost certainly something glitched on my specific install (no one else is seeing this, I take it).

#2364 jonwgee

jonwgee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationDekalb IL

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

Or your could just pop the card out and use a high speed card reader.... I

By way of Tapatalk

maxx

#2365 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

Downloading patches, and copying test APKs for apps I have to maintain, mostly.

My workaround is to use scp via SSHdroid Pro over wifi. It'd be nice to use drag-n-drool from Linux or Windows though.

I'm playing around with mount and watching the logs. I'll report if I find a cause that has public value, but it's almost certainly something glitched on my specific install (no one else is seeing this, I take it).

Check out AirDroid and there are similar others.

#2366 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

Popping the card is a pain since the only safe way to do that is to unmount it then pop it out.

Imagine you needed to transfer 50 versions of a file to your phone in one 8-hour shift. (Transfer/test/cuss/code/build/repeat...)

That's what I need to do today. A directly mountable filesystem view beats popping the sdcard every 9.6 minutes. Most people don't do that, but that's why USB storage is a standard feature: to make copying data to/from a personal computer that can do phone stuff as easy as copying data to/from other personal computers that lack phone stuff.

Smart Phone = computer that fits in your pocket. They can make phone calls too, but that's Olde Skoole. Old rusty IBM mainframes can make phone calls. Ga. Puh. Ptui.

#2367 neoXank

neoXank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorla Droid Razr XT912, Motorola Razr HD XT925

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

You can try mobogenie. Its like adb with a gui.
Works with a usb connection so you don't need a router like in AirDroid.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

#2368 sbs0518

sbs0518

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Hello, fairly new to ROM'ing.  I'm having trouble using the mail client in CM10.1 (and any ROM I've tried based on that). I can't get it to communicate with my Exchange server.  I get an error that says "Couldn't open connection to server".  Sometimes it will work and if it does work it dies a few days later and/or only allows me to sync 1 day of email.  However in my stock ROM it works fine but uses the MotoBlur email client and Exchange Services app.  So my question is: Is it possible to install the Motoblur Email client and Exchange Services app from my stock ROM (JB4.1) into a CM10.1 based ROM? 

I'm a network Admin and this is the one thing that prevents me from using anything but my stock rom as a daily driver as I don't get important emails due to this issue.

Thanks and Thanks for unleashing our devices...you make Android phones fun.

#2369 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

Check out AirDroid and there are similar others.

Thanks for the good tip! LogMeIn for Android!

I'd never seen that one, and I'll definitely install that later for other tasks, but for now I'm using adb push from within IdeaUI.

DISCOVERY: I cleared app-data on Hacker's Keyboard, then reconfigured my prefs. No more AOKP keyboard FC! Freaky...

Edit: The FC was just sleeping... That did NOT fix it. I froze it with TiBackup. It's called "Android Keyboard" in the list, but pops as AOSP Keyboard.

#2370 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hello, fairly new to ROM'ing.  I'm having trouble using the mail client in CM10.1 (and any ROM I've tried based on that). I can't get it to communicate with my Exchange server.  I get an error that says "Couldn't open connection to server".  Sometimes it will work and if it does work it dies a few days later and/or only allows me to sync 1 day of email.  However in my stock ROM it works fine but uses the MotoBlur email client and Exchange Services app.  So my question is: Is it possible to install the Motoblur Email client and Exchange Services app from my stock ROM (JB4.1) into a CM10.1 based ROM? 

I'm a network Admin and this is the one thing that prevents me from using anything but my stock rom as a daily driver as I don't get important emails due to this issue.

Thanks and Thanks for unleashing our devices...you make Android phones fun.

I just tested last night's (8/21) build. Corp (aka Exchange) email setup went fine, syncs email/cal. Didn't try contacts (I use Touchdown Exchange).

I recommend using "Manual Setup". Autodiscovery seldom works because IT folks rarely (never) set up their DNS entries correctly for Autodiscovery....because the way Autodiscovery is supposed to work is goofy and unnecessary. Don't get me started.

"Server" is almost always wrong, by default.

Select "Manual Setup".

Ask your IT person what "Server" should be (usually mail.yourdomain.com) and whether SSL is needed.

Don't "Verify SSL Certificate".

Make sure that your "User ID" is correct. It's usually your full, formal email address, but not always...

If you're OK with a CMD prompt enter the stuff in bold to find out what "Server" should be:

Assume your email is Mike@MikeCo.com and substitute your real company domain in the entries below.

C:\Users\Mike> nslookup

Default Server: dc.mikeco.local

Address: 192.168.0.1

> server 8.8.8.8            (look it up at Google instead of your company or ISP - that's how the world sees you)

Default Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com

Address:  8.8.8.8

> set type=mx

> mikeco.com

Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
mikeco.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.mikeco.com  <- That will probably work as "Server"

Hope it helps.

#2371 AustinML

AustinML

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I just tested last night's (8/21) build. Corp (aka Exchange) email setup went fine, syncs email/cal. Didn't try contacts (I use Touchdown Exchange).

I recommend using "Manual Setup". Autodiscovery seldom works because IT folks rarely (never) set up their DNS entries correctly for Autodiscovery....because the way Autodiscovery is supposed to work is goofy and unnecessary. Don't get me started.

Select "Manual Setup".

Ask your IT person what "Server" should be (usually mail.yourdomain.com) and whether SSL is needed.

Make sure that your "User ID" is correct. It's usually your full, formal email address, but not always...

If you're OK with a CMD prompt enter the stuff in bold to find out what "Server" should be:

Assume your email is Mike@MikeCo.com and substitute your real company domain in the entries below.

> server 8.8.8.8            (look it up at Google instead of your company or ISP - that's how the world sees you)

> set type=mx

> mikeco.com

mikeco.com      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.mikeco.com  <- That will probably work as "Server"

Hope it helps.

I can echo this - Touchdown has always worked for me, even with out activesync enabled server side.  My setup was a bit easier but did take a little tweaking the first time around with domains, timouts, etc.  I've never had much luck with any phone's built in exchange mail.  In fact I have a Touchdown license because Motorola gave them away to old Droid X owners that couldn't get the built in app to work. 

I'm sure if the built in functionality has worked in the past it's likely frustrating it doesn't work now.  But I definitely give Touchdown 5 stars if you're willing to buy into it. You can try it for 30 days for free so why not at least test it out.  I have been using it for over 4 years now across multiple phones and a whole bunch of ROMs.  I have yet to ever have any update or ROM break it's functionality.

• Giblet535 and The Persuader like this

#2372 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

I can echo this - Touchdown has always worked for me, even with out activesync enabled server side. My setup was a bit easier but did take a little tweaking the first time around with domains, timouts, etc. I've never had much luck with any phone's built in exchange mail. In fact I have a Touchdown license because Motorola gave them away to old Droid X owners that couldn't get the built in app to work.

I'm sure if the built in functionality has worked in the past it's likely frustrating it doesn't work now. But I definitely give Touchdown 5 stars if you're willing to buy into it. You can try it for 30 days for free so why not at least test it out. I have been using it for over 4 years now across multiple phones and a whole bunch of ROMs. I have yet to ever have any update or ROM break it's functionality.

Touchdown is the Best...the Server that never dies

It's Bubba
"Stubborn In Your Bones"

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#2373 moksha51

moksha51

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Has anybody had issues with Google voice+ . Every update seems to break it. 

#2374 jonwgee

jonwgee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationDekalb IL

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Popping the card is a pain since the only safe way to do that is to unmount it then pop it out.

Imagine you needed to transfer 50 versions of a file to your phone in one 8-hour shift. (Transfer/test/cuss/code/build/repeat...)

That's what I need to do today. A directly mountable filesystem view beats popping the sdcard every 9.6 minutes. Most people don't do that, but that's why USB storage is a standard feature: to make copying data to/from a personal computer that can do phone stuff as easy as copying data to/from other personal computers that lack phone stuff.

Smart Phone = computer that fits in your pocket. They can make phone calls too, but that's Olde Skoole. Old rusty IBM mainframes can make phone calls. Ga. Puh. Ptui.

Didn't realize you were using your phone for development. Assumed you were just a regular user like me...

Thru Tapatalk, no I can't click the link in your Signature...

maxx

#2375 sbs0518

sbs0518

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Select "Manual Setup".

> set type=mx

> mikeco.com

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm a network admin and am well versed in setting up Exchange accounts on smartphones as I support about 20 at the moment (iOS and Android).  I've done the manual setup and still end up at this juncture.  I have not however tried the Nightlies because it seems to be the common thought that the Nightlies are less stable.

You mentioned that you setup an exchange account and it's working fine.  Did you configure it to sync a month's worth of email?  Are you able to open the mail app and force a sync without the above mentioned error?.  Like I said, up until recently I was able to sync 1 days worth of email and then all of a sudden this morning it starting flaking out.

The one setting I didn't try is Not using the "Verify SSL".  I'll see if that helps.

I would love to use Touchdown as I know that 3rd party solutions do work in this instance however I shouldn't have to pay for an app when the OS provides this functionality.  In addition, I don't want to have to explain to my Apple users why I had to pay for an email app when the built-in app should work and they don't have to.

Thanks again. 

#2376 Giblet535

Giblet535

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.  I'm a network admin and am well versed in setting up Exchange accounts on smartphones as I support about 12 at the moment (iOS and Android).  I've done the manual setup and still end up at this juncture.  I have not however tried the Nightlies because it seems to be the common thought that the Nightlies are less stable.

You mentioned that you setup an exchange account and it's working fine.  Did you configure it to sync a month's worth of email?  Are you able to open the mail app and force a sync without the above mentioned error?.  Like I said, up until recently I was able to sync 1 days worth of email and then all of a sudden this morning it starting flaking out.

The one setting I didn't try is Not using the "Verify SSL".  I'll see if that helps.

I would love to use Touchdown as I know that 3rd party solutions do work in this instance however I shouldn't have to pay for an app when the OS provides this functionality.  In addition, I don't want to have to explain to my Apple users why I had to pay for an email app when the built-in app should work and they don't have to.

Thanks again. 

You may want to install the nightly, go into app management, clear the defaults and data for email, and do the setup again. That should put your device in the same condition mine was in when I ran my test setup. If that works, try upping the sync data by the next default notch and verify that it actually did it. If it breaks at some point, go back into app management and see how much actual data is being stored. Maybe it's related somehow.

I only did a basic setup to ActiveSync and verified that it did in fact connect+sync the default amount of data.

Basic setup of the CM10 email client works fine (and Touchdown Exchange works great).

I know for a fact that this Email app can't handle my entire Outlook account. It's too much data. That's why I use Touchdown: it lets me decide some reasonable limits, where to store data, for how long, etc. Moto was giving Pro licenses away to XT912 customers when ICS was still the rage, because they had messed up their own Email app.

• sbs0518 likes this

#2377 sbs0518

sbs0518

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

You may want to install the nightly, go into app management, clear the defaults and data for email, and do the setup again. That should put your device in the same condition mine was in when I ran my test setup. If that works, try upping the sync data by the next default notch and verify that it actually did it. If it breaks at some point, go back into app management and see how much actual data is being stored. Maybe it's related somehow.

I only did a basic setup to ActiveSync and verified that it did in fact connect+sync the default amount of data.

Basic setup of the CM10 email client works fine (and Touchdown Exchange works great).

I know for a fact that this Email app can't handle my entire Outlook account. It's too much data. That's why I use Touchdown: it lets me decide some reasonable limits, where to store data, for how long, etc. Moto was giving Pro licenses away to XT912 customers when ICS was still the rage, because they had messed up their own Email app.

Huh...the stock mail is the app that works fine (I mean it could be better but...) go figure.

Guess I'll have to take a 2nd look at TD.  I've used Emoze but it uses OWA and is kinda sloppy.

Thanks for the feedback.

Slightly different topic: I've been reviewing the different Kernels that are available but don't really understand when and why I would need them for my device.  Any tips on that?

#2378 droid4life

droid4life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels
  • Current Device(s):Motorola DROID Razr XT912, Samsung Nexus 10, ASUS Nexus 7 all with CM 10.1

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

8/23 is up

#2379 Markos96

Markos96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

I have a question, what is the last nightly build where it's still CM10.1? And for 4.3, where is the GAPPS package for it?

#2380 neoXank

neoXank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorla Droid Razr XT912, Motorola Razr HD XT925

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

I have a question, what is the last nightly build where it's still CM10.1? And for 4.3, where is the GAPPS package for it?

CM10.2 started rolling on 8/14.
Anything before that is 10.1

for 4.3 gapps goto
goo.im/gapps ..

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users