#21 panapress

panapress

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

With VZW starting to push the update for ICS out today. I am currently running rooted stock ROM on my Razr. Before updating to ICS, should I temporarily unroot with voodoo update to ICS and re-root again? Would this process work?

#22 slacker227

slacker227

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

does this method work on my phone my system version is 6.12.181.xt912.verizon.en.us

#23 purevw

purevw

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Have an XT912 running 6.16.211 ICS. Was rooted before the ota update to ics and lost it at that point. I have tried several hacks and none successfully root my phone, although a few state success after reboot. The most recent error I found was "trying to copy su to /system/su; file already exists". When I reboot and try to verify root, I find that it was never successful. Any ideas? I'll try the hack on this post and post back the results.

#24 purevw

purevw

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

It worked. So to answer slacker 227's question, I would assume that ,yes, it will work on your ota version. I'll add a couple of notes that may be of use:

The first time I ran the script (in Linux, not WIndows), I ran it as "root" from a terminal and it failed with many errors, although at the end, it declared success. I changed the phone to USB mass storage and tried to manually change permissions to +xrw and the request was denied. I also tried to change them from adb and although I got no errors, the new permissions didn't stick. I then noticed that the owner of the files was "my user name on Linux" and that all others were forbidden from even reading. So I ran the script again (after changing back to "usb media" from "usb mass storage") as a regular user. I did get an error, but the root was successful and verified. Here are the lines from the terminal window, with the single error highlighted:

[code}[*] Waiting for device...
[*] Device found.
[*] Deploying payload...
3299 KB/s (501292 bytes in 0.148s)
[*] Owning phone...
[*] Motofail: Universal Motorola Android Root Exploit
[*] Copyright © 2012 Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*] Exploit complete.
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Attemping persistence...
remount succeeded
459 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.047s)
link failed File exists
4203 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.433s)
3840 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.214s)
[*] Cleaning up...
[*] Motofail: Universal Motorola Android Root Exploit
[*] Copyright © 2012 Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*] Exploit complete.
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.[/code]

#25 janedoelv1

janedoelv1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

ok so i did it an it worked , well kind of... it says i have root access but busy box was not installed but superuser was and when i put a diffrnt sim card in it it says outgoing calls restricted by fdn. please help. thanx :)

#26 purevw

purevw

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:33 AM

To be clear, did you change the SD card or SIM card? SIM stands for Subscriber Identification Module. It carries the account information for your phone. If you change a SIM, then you would have to contact your carrier to have the new SIM associated to your account. If you had already done that, then I would contact the carrier and verify the numbers to be sure they didn't make a mistake when they added the info.
Also, did you see any errors during the install? My busybox shows up as Razr bootstrap in the programs menu. It works quite well. I just wish there were more ROMs out there to work with.

#27 janedoelv1

janedoelv1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

it was the sim card but i was under the impression i guess that rooting it would allow me to change service providers as well, is that not right?

#28 purevw

purevw

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

PLease take the following with a grain of salt, as I am not 100% sure. If you're not under contract, then probably so, as long as the new providor is compatible with your radio type (LTE, CDMA, etc.). If you are still under contract, then I am not sure how any of this would work. But I believe that you would still have to associate the SIM with your new account through the new providor and program the phone with the new providors information. Your phone won't know what towers to work with until that is done and the providor won't know who you are until they associate your new SIM.

#29 purevw

purevw

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

What rooting does is it gives you administrator rights for your phone. You can change most anything you want, but you can also turn it into a paperweight if you are not sure what you are doing. Being root means you must understand the possible risks of having admin rights. The main thing people want admin access for is to be able to backup and use recovery, as well as to flash new ROMs. Also, there are programs to download that require root access, so it is necessary for that.

#30 michaelb278

michaelb278

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Ok well it sais adb is not recognizable help

#31 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Ok well it sais adb is not recognizable help

Did you unzip the files you downloaded?

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users