• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Anyone happen to know if it is possible to enable or get Mass Storage to work on 4.1.1? I ask this because I noticed while using SQLite entering Settings Storage> settings.db> secure> 7=usb_mass_storage_enabled=1. The default seems to be "1" which going off of the entitlement hack that DirtyDroid put together the "0" seems to activate that hack. Which I have tried changing the 1 to 0, which the Mass Storage did not activate, but I imagine there has to be some other setting or something that would enable the Mass Storage, does anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#2 DaggerDave

DaggerDave

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr HD; Motorola Droid X; VS Gtablet; Droid Incredible

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

As far as I can tell, there is no way to use UMS (USB Mass Storrage) on JellyBean. It simply isn't supported after ICS. I tried using third-party apps, even tried to enable it within a custom rom I built for my Gtablet, but it just isn't possible. That's not to say that someone a bit brighter that me wouldn't be able to code it into a custom rom/kernel, but I have yet to see it. Have to use MTP, which sucks cause it doesn't work well with my Arch Linux. I either have to use AirDroid or wireless ADB. If anyone else knows better, please feel free to chime in. I would love to be wrong!

#3 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I happen to believe that USB Mass Storage could be enabled in JB, I think it all has to do with entering the right Value. While the Entitlement Hack worked with a "0" value, perhaps this usb_mass_storage_enabled relies on a separate value than "0". Anyone happen to know what the set values are? Take for example in the same secure settings section the 38=network_preference=9, I have been able to change settings with a "0" on this setting and of course with some other settings as well. I just think that maybe there is a different value that the UMS responds to and of course the trick is to find out what it is, any thoughts?

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#4 Sparks639

Sparks639

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@sparks639
  • Google+:iostrov18@gmail.com
  • LocationSLO, CA
  • Current Device(s):XT 926, GSIII, Nexus 7

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Maybe you guys can clarify something for me. I always thought that enabling mass storage mode gave me that ability to explore the contents of my internal/external sd cards on my pc.

I'm able to do that now, so I'm starting to think that I'm totally missing something. Which is very possible cause I'm dense. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#5 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I use a 1TB USB Drive with my Nexus 7 now. I got the OTG cable, installed Stickmount Pro by Chainfire, and it worked like a champ... I would imagine it would work just fine on my DNA as well. Ill test it in a bit and let you know for sure.

#6 DaggerDave

DaggerDave

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr HD; Motorola Droid X; VS Gtablet; Droid Incredible

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

@Sparks639 - You are probably transfering files using MTP. Google decided to completely dump UMS for MTP starting with JellyBean - there is a good explaination

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and

, and of course the MTP wiki page.

After some more searching I found that someone did create an app for the Note 2 and S3 that uses

, so apparently it is possible! However, it only works with the external (removable) sdcard, not the internal memory.
  • Sparks639 likes this

#7 Sparks639

Sparks639

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@sparks639
  • Google+:iostrov18@gmail.com
  • LocationSLO, CA
  • Current Device(s):XT 926, GSIII, Nexus 7

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

@DaggerDave - Thanks for taking the time to share that. I appreciate it. I'm sure you're right that i've been using mtp. Got my otg adapter on order so im looking forward to playing around with new storage and transfer options.

#8 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I was just able to mount a 64GB thumb drive on my Droid DNA using stick-mount, and an OTG cable.

#9 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I was just able to mount a 64GB thumb drive on my Droid DNA using stick-mount, and an OTG cable.

I happen to like the development that ChainFire does but the StickMount does not work on the Motorola Razr HD XT926.

I am curious however as there must be some way to get Mass Storage back on our phones. I noticed just playing around in the settings that I can turn off default storage of the MTP or PTP, but I still notice that screenshots are still saved to a default location, so maybe there is something further located in the settings that can be changed or removed to bring back UMS. Any ideas??

Attached Files

#10 djhbomber1

djhbomber1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Current Device(s):OG Razr, Razr MAXX HD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I happen to like the development that ChainFire does but the StickMount does not work on the Motorola Razr HD XT926.

I am curious however as there must be some way to get Mass Storage back on our phones. I noticed just playing around in the settings that I can turn off default storage of the MTP or PTP, but I still notice that screenshots are still saved to a default location, so maybe there is something further located in the settings that can be changed or removed to bring back UMS. Any ideas??

Where do you live where it's 8:98 o'clock?? Haha :P
From what I remember about the entitlement hack, changing the '1' to '0' disables checking, so usb_mass_storage_enabled should be left at '1' to leave it active.
Check the code/xml files that contain the options for enabling MTP and PTP, that may refer you to the code that could be modded for USB storage mode.

#11 djhbomber1

djhbomber1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Current Device(s):OG Razr, Razr MAXX HD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Have to use MTP, which sucks cause it doesn't work well with my Arch Linux. I either have to use AirDroid or wireless ADB. If anyone else knows better, please feel free to chime in. I would love to be wrong!

Found this perusing General:

I don't have Arch Linux so I can't confirm Jelly Bean working on this, but give it a shot if you haven't already!

#12 DaggerDave

DaggerDave

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Found this perusing General:

I don't have Arch Linux so I can't confirm Jelly Bean working on this, but give it a shot if you haven't already!

Thanks for your effort, but yes I have seen this page. I have MTP working on stock android devices, including my Razr HD (running Jelly Bean), but most custom roms I run on my other devices will not be seen. When running 'lsusb' in terminal, it does not show any devices, unless they are running a stock ICS or JB firmware. I have tried writing my own udev rules, using the info in the init files from these devices, and from other Cyanogen roms (changing the rules to match my device ID and such), but 'lsusb' simply does not see the device at all, so mtp refuses to see them either. Only way I can seem to connect is by using wireless ADB.

Another strange problem, I just flashed a Gingerbread rom on my DroidX (which has UMS support) and it refuses to detect this device as well. It worked as UMS when I was running CM9 (ICS), but now it won't detect it on Gingerbread. There must be changes being made to the init process that are not allowing the device to be detected using the 'stock' android udev rules, but for the life of me I cannot get these custom roms to be detected. My tablet is the worst, as it requires MTP to use APX mode (kinda like fastboot for Nvidia devices), and neither Arch Linux or Windows will detect it on any rom I use except the stock firmware.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jelly Bean, 4.1.1, Mass Storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users