Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

This will be my next phone for sure. I'll be honest, I've been running stock on my RAZR since Christmas. Before that, I was again on stock rooted for most of the ICS life. I'm becoming more and more OK with stock and may just stay that way. So I can really see sticking with my RAZR till this releases.

I hear you about the stock thing. I was happy with stock on my DNA for 2 months and only jumped to custom roms because it was so far above and beyond with customization that I couldn't pass it up.

Back in the day custom roms were soooo much better than stock that it was stupid to stay stock. Hopefully this X phone improves stock even more.
  • Firehwk likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#22 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Did something I say seem confusing?

Only........everything. Just trying to be sarcastic. I haven't been able to stay stock since I had an eris. Sooner or later I get bored.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#23 Tbizzy

Tbizzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Verizon better not F this one up. The wife wont let us switch providers, and I've been waiting for a Googlerola phone ever since I found out Google bought Motorola's phone division. Although, Samsung's new "Youm" technology looks pretty cool, but who knows when that'll hit the shelves.

#24 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

i can almost guarantee that there will be a locked bootloader version and a "dev" version for the VZW build. If that's the case, then I'm checking out a new cell provider in May.

Starting to get a little tired of having a locked phone.

#25 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

i can almost guarantee that there will be a locked bootloader version and a "dev" version for the VZW build. If that's the case, then I'm checking out a new cell provider in May.

Starting to get a little tired of having a locked phone.

I'm with you on that one. However, I don't mind having to pay a higher price for a "dev" edition. Beats them charging monthly for it.
  • jimboslice likes this

Posted Image

#26 medic

medic

It's not my blood....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGhent
  • Current Device(s):Bionic 16gb, Nexus 7

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I am anxiously waiting. My upgrade isn't until October, but my partner's(as in Paramedic/EMT) is in June. We have been blathering about this for a bit now.

Wooohoooo, Jelly Belly!

#27 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well given the success of the Nexus 4, I've actually read that there are talks this phone will be pretty affordable in a full retail aspect. So waiting for an upgrade may not be necessary if Google can get the cost down to around what they're offering the N4.

#28 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm with you on that one. However, I don't mind having to pay a higher price for a "dev" edition. Beats them charging monthly for it.

What would be the difference tho? Regardless of whether or not Moto wanted to let us unlock our bootloaders and blaming VZW, etc etc, I think Google wants us to be able to. So the standard phone is being designed to be unlockable. What is VZW going to do? Tell Google they need to charge extra for an unlockable CDMA version? Wouldn't Google just make it the same price and basically just have a check box at checkout? Same theory with warranty...Google has a lot more weight than Moto. Google was still able to get VZW to carry the Nexus, eventhough it was a mess, and you didn't have to pay extra for a dev edition.

#29 vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Droid Elite

• Developer
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

So I'll have my droid hd for sale very soon

vtc.png

#30 perfoliate

perfoliate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Honestly i don't think Google minds unlocked boot loaders as the open source community has really enriched android with custom tweaks and Google has incorporated a lot of this into Android.

We do know that Verizon cares because they don't like wasting resources troubleshooting and repairing screw ups that people whom don't take the time to read bring on themselves, and then expect to get a new phone.

I think that there is a preconception floating around that Google doesn't care about what Verizon wants and that if they don't go along with it then Verizon can shove it.

I will just add this: Verizon sells a LOT of Motorola phones, Google can not afford to just lose them completely as a business partner. Both company's will have to come to an agreement about how to satisfy both sides of this issue, and I think we've already seen this with the release of consumer and dev editions of the same phone model. I'm guessing that this will be continued into the future with Verizon Motorola phones, because it really does satisfy both needs.

Now if Google can crank out unsubsidized dev phones at or near current consumer subsidized prices we will all be very happy I'm sure :)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#31 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I should re-word what I said. I guess it depends on who decided the dev edition should be more expensive. It basically is no different so it wouldn't surprise me if Google priced it the same. Or if VZW demands it to be more, maybe Google will just so happen to always have it on sale :D

I forgot that this is a totally different situation, as Google will be profiting from the hardware sale, instead of just licensing fees and ad money, so there's more at stake.
  • perfoliate likes this

#32 aktrazer

aktrazer

SMod/News Team Leader

• Smod
  • 537 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC
  • Current Device(s):Smasung Galaxy Note 2, ASUS TF700T

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

What would be the difference tho? Regardless of whether or not Moto wanted to let us unlock our bootloaders and blaming VZW, etc etc, I think Google wants us to be able to. So the standard phone is being designed to be unlockable. What is VZW going to do? Tell Google they need to charge extra for an unlockable CDMA version? Wouldn't Google just make it the same price and basically just have a check box at checkout? Same theory with warranty...Google has a lot more weight than Moto. Google was still able to get VZW to carry the Nexus, eventhough it was a mess, and you didn't have to pay extra for a dev edition.

Well, we can only hope that Google and VZW come to an agreement. I've been in this community for long enough and I've never had a "Dev" edition phone. It's to the point that even if it costs more, to just go with it because I'll use it for more than just a phone.

Posted Image

#33 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Well, we can only hope that Google and VZW come to an agreement. I've been in this community for long enough and I've never had a "Dev" edition phone. It's to the point that even if it costs more, to just go with it because I'll use it for more than just a phone.

Oh yeah for sure. I probably would too. It's just silly that this is supposed to be the first Googorola, purely Google developed, all carrier, unlocked, etc etc phone so I don't see how VZW can say yeah sure we'll let the unlocked phone on our network, but you have to pay Google extra for the dev version. I am amazed at the development we've had for the RAZR, but I miss the ease of doing everything with an unlocked bootloader, which I haven't had since the OG Droid. Heck I put jellybean on that thing months ago.

#34 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

Honestly i don't think Google minds unlocked boot loaders as the open source community has really enriched android with custom tweaks and Google has incorporated a lot of this into Android.

We do know that Verizon cares because they don't like wasting resources troubleshooting and repairing screw ups that people whom don't take the time to read bring on themselves, and then expect to get a new phone.

I think that there is a preconception floating around that Google doesn't care about what Verizon wants and that if they don't go along with it then Verizon can shove it.

I will just add this: Verizon sells a LOT of Motorola phones, Google can not afford to just lose them completely as a business partner. Both company's will have to come to an agreement about how to satisfy both sides of this issue, and I think we've already seen this with the release of consumer and dev editions of the same phone model. I'm guessing that this will be continued into the future with Verizon Motorola phones, because it really does satisfy both needs.

Now if Google can crank out unsubsidized dev phones at or near current consumer subsidized prices we will all be very happy I'm sure :)

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

I think Google could afford to move away from VZW and start fresh with a new carrier. Google is HUGE. They have more than enough resources to pull something like that off. I'm sure Google doesn't want to lose VZ, but Verizon is keeping Google from achieving an even bigger android development base. Could you imagine what development would be like if our XT912'S were unlocked?

If I were Google and were showing this phone off to VZW, and they say "we want the BL locked," i would immediately take that phone and all the support with it to another carrier that would LOVE to have a phone with this kind of power, unlocked.

#35 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

I think Google could afford to move away from VZW and start fresh with a new carrier. Google is HUGE. They have more than enough resources to pull something like that off. I'm sure Google doesn't want to lose VZ, but Verizon is keeping Google from achieving an even bigger android development base. Could you imagine what development would be like if our XT912'S were unlocked?

If I were Google and were showing this phone off to VZW, and they say "we want the BL locked," i would immediately take that phone and all the support with it to another carrier that would LOVE to have a phone with this kind of power, unlocked.

Every carrier outside of Verizon doesn't care so it would be very easy

Sent from RAZR Maxx running BataKang w/ Soft Keys

#36 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I thought this was supposed to be released on all carriers anyways.

#37 pinoy_92

pinoy_92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

hope the phone works on verizon, so i dont have to lose my unli data.

#38 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I will most def be picking this up. I will be paying full retail as I am grandfathered to the unlimited plan and my upgrade isn't until November. I don't mind paying full price for a good phone. However, about 650 is my cap.. I can't justify paying over 650. 650 is really too much, but what ya gonna do? I did hear someone mention that it's possible it could be around the same price as the Nexus 4, but isn't the Nexus 4 a non LTE device? I sure hope they make this one LTE and I am sure they would this far into LTE deployment.

Would be nice if they leaked a few details about it or some pics. Saw some rumors about it here and there, but rumors are, well, rumors. All we can do is hope they knock the socks off the phone world with this one. I love Moto devices and I haven't grown tired of my Maxx yet. I normally get bored with a phone close to a year, but the Maxx hasn't brought me to boredom. It may be due to the awesome development we have here a DroidRzr that has enabled us to tweak and rom so much that it's basically like getting a new phone. I look forward to the guys bringing us plenty of goodness to the X like they have brought to the Razr line.
Posted Image

#39 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

I thought this was supposed to be released on all carriers anyways.

yeppers.

RAZR HD Dev

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#40 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Looks like rumors are starting to circulate that this will in fact be the next Nexus:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Take it for what you will. I, for one, think this to be the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users