#41 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thank you SO MUCH Satman. We <3 you so freaking much right now, you have no idea.

Welcome :)

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#42 orcsbane13

orcsbane13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Toss these 2 on the SD before or after fastboot if the OTA's are not working....

Flash in Recovery Don't forget to save root

Update 1.. Security update ICS OTA

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

reboot

Update 2... JB OTA

Restore root.. etc

:D

Tyvm. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#43 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Tyvm. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Anytime ;) :)

Posted Image

#44 Kurai595

Kurai595

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Toss these 2 on the SD before or after fastboot if the OTA's are not working....

Update 1.. Security update ICS OTA

reboot

Update 2... JB OTA

Restore root.. etc

:D

Managed to get the first update working, but the second aborts with error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip.. Kind of new at this.. what should I do?

#45 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Managed to get the first update working, but the second aborts with error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip.. Kind of new at this.. what should I do?

You have to reboot, untemp root again etc..... Before JB Update

Posted Image

#46 Kurai595

Kurai595

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

You have to reboot, untemp root again etc..... Before JB Update

I didn't see this post, but managed to get it fixed.. searched around and saw it might be because I had installed safestrap, so I flashed back again and rooted, went straight into installing the updates, and it worked fine

#47 divadem

divadem

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi, I just bought upgraded my phone from a galaxy nexus to a Razr HD XT926.I was so used to how easy the galaxy nexus was to unlock the bootloader and root that i have got rusty with my rooting skills. So am not a complete noob i am just not used to Motorola and i am scared to brick this phone. So if anyone could give me instructions on how to apply the 0.7.2 update with any subtle nuances i might have forgot when working with such a locked down Motorola phone, would be great and much appreciated I am getting the same message as everyone here and cannot update to 0.7.2. I have downloaded the zip from this site however i am not sure how to apply the update. RSD?Stock Recovery? I am rooted on 6.2.5 and have stock recovery. Thanks in Advance.

#48 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi, I just bought upgraded my phone from a galaxy nexus to a Razr HD XT926.I was so used to how easy the galaxy nexus was to unlock the bootloader and root that i have got rusty with my rooting skills. So am not a complete noob i am just not used to Motorola and i am scared to brick this phone. So if anyone could give me instructions on how to apply the 0.7.2 update with any subtle nuances i might have forgot when working with such a locked down Motorola phone, would be great and much appreciated I am getting the same message as everyone here and cannot update to 0.7.2. I have downloaded the zip from this site however i am not sure how to apply the update. RSD?Stock Recovery? I am rooted on 6.2.5 and have stock recovery. Thanks in Advance.

Oh yeah, HUGE difference between this phone an ANY Nexus device. Say goodbye to awesome kernels and recovery options (Saftstrap is basically it). Anyway, yeah, if you're phone is still on 6.2.5 and is already rooted, go ahead and download and install

. This program allows you to back up your SU binary and temp unroot/restore root. It's a pretty straight forward process. You just want to make sure your root access is both backed up and you are temp unrooted when you flash your OTA. Keep in mind, if you altered any system files, or froze/deleted any bloatware, having safestrap recovery installed, your updates are gonna fail. But we can deal with that if it happens.

Ok, so temp unrooted,

on your SD card, go ahead and boot into (stock) recovery and install zip from SD card, choose the file you just downloaded and let it do it's thing. After it reboots, you can now go back into Voodoo and restore your root access.

The process to continue on the Jelly Bean is EXACTLY the same. Either go into Settings>About Phone>Check for Update and see if your phone can update to JB OTA, OR if you need to,

and you can download it, place on SD card and perform the same process. Make sure you have your root access backed up when you go to Jelly bean as there is no root exploit for JB yet.

Good luck
  • divadem and Obachuka like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#49 divadem

divadem

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Oh yeah, HUGE difference between this phone an ANY Nexus device. Say goodbye to awesome kernels and recovery options (Saftstrap is basically it). Anyway, yeah, if you're phone is still on 6.2.5 and is already rooted, go ahead and download and install

. This program allows you to back up your SU binary and temp unroot/restore root. It's a pretty straight forward process. You just want to make sure your root access is both backed up and you are temp unrooted when you flash your OTA. Keep in mind, if you altered any system files, or froze/deleted any bloatware, having safestrap recovery installed, your updates are gonna fail. But we can deal with that if it happens.

Ok, so temp unrooted,

on your SD card, go ahead and boot into (stock) recovery and install zip from SD card, choose the file you just downloaded and let it do it's thing. After it reboots, you can now go back into Voodoo and restore your root access.

The process to continue on the Jelly Bean is EXACTLY the same. Either go into Settings>About Phone>Check for Update and see if your phone can update to JB OTA, OR if you need to,

and you can download it, place on SD card and perform the same process. Make sure you have your root access backed up when you go to Jelly bean as there is no root exploit for JB yet.

Good luck

I agree huge differnce when it comes to devepment! but i hate the weak radios and bad battery life that came with the galaxy nexus. I acutally have not seen 3G since i got this razr phone even in the places with notoriouly bad reception with galaxy nexus.

Thank you so much for the quick response! I have a couple of questions. I am in the process of updating now. When i apply a update in recovery(safestrap or stock) does it also flash the radios if the update has new radios?

#50 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

I agree huge differnce when it comes to devepment! but i hate the weak radios and bad battery life that came with the galaxy nexus. I acutally have not seen 3G since i got this razr phone even in the places with notoriouly bad reception with galaxy nexus.

Thank you so much for the quick response! I have a couple of questions. I am in the process of updating now. When i apply a update in recovery(safestrap or stock) does it also flash the radios if the update has new radios?

The radios are build into the ota files. And the otas can only be flashed in stock recovery, they won't apply in safestrap. Likewise, only files signed by Motorola will flash in stock recovery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• divadem likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#51 DVDDave

DVDDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

don't know if this has been said, BUT, i wonder if a "virgin" maxx hd or razr hd that was never rooted would take the ota updates from verizon....

#52 DVDDave

DVDDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

has anyone gone back to ICS with matts utility after manually sideloading the two updates to get to JB ??

#53 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

don't know if this has been said, BUT, i wonder if a "virgin" maxx hd or razr hd that was never rooted would take the ota updates from verizon....

Lol, is this a serious question? Of course it would. Millions do every time Motorola updates the software. They are over the air updates.

#54 DVDDave

DVDDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Lol, is this a serious question? Of course it would. Millions do every time Motorola updates the software. They are over the air updates.

don't got to be a jerk about it, just asking a valid question...

#55 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

don't got to be a jerk about it, just asking a valid question...

I wasn't being a jerk it just seemed like a silly question. I'm not sure if I didn't understand or you don't. You asked if we attempted to receive updates OTA on a virgin, unrooted phone. I don't know if your new to cell phones, If so, I'm sorry you were offended, but yes. Everyone here has received updates over the air dozens of times.

#56 DVDDave

DVDDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I wasn't being a jerk it just seemed like a silly question. I'm not sure if I didn't understand or you don't. You asked if we attempted to receive updates OTA on a virgin, unrooted phone. I don't know if your new to cell phones, If so, I'm sorry you were offended, but yes. Everyone here has received updates over their air dozens of times.

my question should have said two things.....1--let's say you buy a MAXX HD today and it comes with ICS, and you do nothing to it, will it take the updates via OTA or fail?? 2--Let's say i sideload those two updates on my MAXX HD which is rooted now, but protected with voodoo and go to JB, can matts utility still bring you back to ics??

Just asking for clarification so no one bricks a phone....

#57 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

my question should have said two things.....1--let's say you buy a MAXX HD today and it comes with ICS, and you do nothing to it, will it take the updates via OTA or fail?? 2--Let's say i sideload those two updates on my MAXX HD which is rooted now, but protected with voodoo and go to JB, can matts utility still bring you back to ics??

Just asking for clarification so no one bricks a phone....

1) If the phone is completely stock out of the box and never been rooted or had any of the bloatware frozen or uninstalled and never had any recovery flashed or anything like that. If it's in a decent service area, or connected to a strong wifi and If it manages to download the software OTA without any corruption (uncommon event) then there is no reason it should fail. VZW/Moto could make you go to their website to download the updates and make you install them that way, but obviously they are confident in the over the air update method.

2) The Razr HD and HD Maxx can be restored back to ICS from JB using either Matts utility, or the FXZ files via RSD lite. You will be unrooted (if you were), but you will be back on ICS.
  • satman80 likes this

#58 raymondrbowman

raymondrbowman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

So I have had problems with the OTA update too and after reading this I see that I installed safestrap too soon. I did delete safestrap and used matts utility to go back to ics and started the whole process over again....then again and again...lol.... Still after all this the update still fails. So is safestrap still keeping this from working even though I do not see it when I start the phone and not in my apps?

#59 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

So I have had problems with the OTA update too and after reading this I see that I installed safestrap too soon. I did delete safestrap and used matts utility to go back to ics and started the whole process over again....then again and again...lol.... Still after all this the update still fails. So is safestrap still keeping this from working even though I do not see it when I start the phone and not in my apps?

If you used the Utility then it is not a Safestrap issue. That is gone. I would download the 2 updates from post 48 above and put them on your sd card. Boot into Moto recovery and install them that way
  • raymondrbowman likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#60 DVDDave

DVDDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

make sure you follow the directions when you download the two files and place them on your external SD card and make so you are successful to get JB :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users