• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 DVDDave

DVDDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

1) If the phone is completely stock out of the box and never been rooted or had any of the bloatware frozen or uninstalled and never had any recovery flashed or anything like that. If it's in a decent service area, or connected to a strong wifi and If it manages to download the software OTA without any corruption (uncommon event) then there is no reason it should fail. VZW/Moto could make you go to their website to download the updates and make you install them that way, but obviously they are confident in the over the air update method.

2) The Razr HD and HD Maxx can be restored back to ICS from JB using either Matts utility, or the FXZ files via RSD lite. You will be unrooted (if you were), but you will be back on ICS.

tried to send you a PM but i don't have enough posts...sorry about the going back and forth yesterday...i may not have many posts but i am not a noob :) i lurk a lot. i just always want to make sure that i am 100% sure when messing with my phone,,,,

now a question, now that i sideloaded the updates and am back on JB, are we still on any OTA path in the future ??

#62 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx HD, Galaxy Tab 8.9

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

To the earlier posts. No, the OTAs are not working, even on unrooted phones. I just bought this phone, off contract, on the 27th. It had the original software pre-loaded (0.6.25), so no updates already on the phone. I tried the 0.7.2 update before I attempted to root, it would sit on "Download suspended" and it didn't matter if I had full bars of LTE or at home in the same room as my Wi-Fi router. Eventually, it would tell me that an error occurred and I needed to attempt the update later. The only way I was able to update the phone was by downloading the files to my SD card and applying them in fastboot.

So my advice, you can either call Moto and Verizon to try to get an answer as to why this is happening, or you can just download the OTA updates and apply them in fastboot. This method should work whether you are wanting root, or just want stock. Of course, if you just want stock, you can go directly to JB by using the Motorola PC connection software to check for updates. That way does break root, even with OTA Rootkeeper (I attempted this), and it doesn't matter if you tell the software you want to keep your files, you will keep everything but root access.

#63 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

tried to send you a PM but i don't have enough posts...sorry about the going back and forth yesterday...i may not have many posts but i am not a noob :) i lurk a lot. i just always want to make sure that i am 100% sure when messing with my phone,,,,

now a question, now that i sideloaded the updates and am back on JB, are we still on any OTA path in the future ??

Yes. :D

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#64 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

No problem, I'm sorry if I came off like a dick. I just had a little chuckle from your first question the way it was worded. Anyway, yes. You are on the official upgrade path if you are on the JB version that Motorola released (and you are).

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#65 raymondrbowman

raymondrbowman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

IT WORKED!!!!! Finally got it thank you all so much. :)
So I followed this video,

but when he does his OTA updates from his phone just pause the video and install them yourself as mentioned in post 48, then resume the video. Works like a charm! Btw for all who does not know... Once you copy your files to your sd drive you enter recover by holding volume up and power at the same time then once at menu quickly volume down to highlight recovery and volume up to select. Once you see the android guy laying down press volume up and down at the same time then just install zip from ext sd.
  • Memnoch73 likes this

#66 oneillperson

oneillperson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

I am having no luck with applying the 0.7.2 update. First I downloaded the 0.7.2 update .zip file from

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, and placed it on my phone's internal storage. Then I booted into stock recovery, saw the Android guy, pressed the volume keys. I selected "apple update from external storage". All it shows is "../", and a yellow message saying "E:failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory).

What am I doing wrong? I'm so close! Been at this all day.

#67 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

I am having no luck with applying the 0.7.2 update. First I downloaded the 0.7.2 update .zip file from

, and placed it on my phone's internal storage. Then I booted into stock recovery, saw the Android guy, pressed the volume keys. I selected "apple update from external storage". All it shows is "../", and a yellow message saying "E:failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory).

What am I doing wrong? I'm so close! Been at this all day.

I haven't tried it from the internal storage, only from my SD Card. From the SD Card the update works perfectly.

#68 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I haven't tried it from the internal storage, only from my SD Card. From the SD Card the update works perfectly.

You're not choosing "install update.zip" are you? Cuz unless your file is ACTUALLY labeled update.zip it won't find it.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#69 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

mmmmm Bump

Toss these 2 on the SD before or after fastboot if the OTA's are not working....

Flash in Recovery Don't forget to save root, (you know temp root unroot 4 times each time)

Also another note: Just like the other instructions don't forget when, temp root an unroot,, to make sure in Settings/Security "unknown sources" is checked after each update!!

Update 1.. Security update ICS OTA

Flash that one ^ and reboot

Flash in Recovery Don't forget to save root (you know temp root unroot 4 times each time)

Update 2... JB OTA

Restore root.. etc

:D

Edited by satman80, 02 March 2013 - 08:33 PM.

• tucstwo likes this

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#70 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

Do you have an sdcard in the device?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#71 oneillperson

oneillperson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Holy moly you guys respond fast! Thanks for the tip, I assumed that it would work from the internal storage, but apparently not. placing the update on the external storage worked like a charm, and I'm on my way to rooted JB.

Good thing I still have that 512MB SD card laying around! LOL
  • tucstwo, satman80 and tmyinc like this

#72 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Holy moly you guys respond fast! Thanks for the tip, I assumed that it would work from the internal storage, but apparently not. placing the update on the external storage worked like a charm, and I'm on my way to rooted JB.

Hey that's what we do lol. Yeah any time you need to sideload something you need a sdcard unless there isn't a sdcard slot in your device in which recovery is set to check internal storage. But anyhow I'm glad you got it working.

#73 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Cheers
  • satman80 and tmyinc like this

#74 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

LOL, ya, no on internal it wont work, because, when updating the system it can't mount and unmount the internal because the update is taking place on the internal side... Just a simple example of why, kinda.. hope that makes sense... :)

and Glad we can help, I updated my links now with blunt instructions.. hope that helps.. :)

Always welcome,
Satman
  • tmyinc likes this

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#75 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I actually didn't think about the being the reason internal storage didn't work. My wife's phone is the VZW GNex, so I'm used to dealing with phones that don't have SD Cards, even though everyone that I have personally owned has had an SD Card slot. It makes sense though. Also, since I was having problems with the OTAs like everyone else at this time seems to be, this forum has been the best resource for me. So, I want to quickly say thank you to all those who have posted here, especially in this topic thread. Thanks everyone. I'm loving my rooted RAZR Maxx HD on Jelly Bean.
  • tmyinc likes this

#76 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I actually didn't think about the being the reason internal storage didn't work. My wife's phone is the VZW GNex, so I'm used to dealing with phones that don't have SD Cards, even though everyone that I have personally owned has had an SD Card slot. It makes sense though. Also, since I was having problems with the OTAs like everyone else at this time seems to be, this forum has been the best resource for me. So, I want to quickly say thank you to all those who have posted here, especially in this topic thread. Thanks everyone. I'm loving my rooted RAZR Maxx HD on Jelly Bean.

I'm glad that you found the help that you needed here. This is by far the best community I've been a part of and I've been working with android since close to day one.

• sigvoror likes this

#77 oneillperson

oneillperson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

After updating to JB and restoring root, I would get a popup saying "Unfortunately, Motorola Services has stopped." It would come up every couple seconds. Problem was solved by going into my Running Apps and force-stopping the service. I hope it doesn't come back!

If I've got any more questions, I'll come back here for sure. You guys have been more helpful than the past 4 days of forum-surfing I've done combined.

#78 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

After updating to JB and restoring root, I would get a popup saying "Unfortunately, Motorola Services has stopped." It would come up every couple seconds. Problem was solved by going into my Running Apps and force-stopping the service. I hope it doesn't come back!
If I've got any more questions, I'll come back here for sure. You guys have been more helpful than the past 4 days of forum-surfing I've done combined.

I had that problem as well. I did a factory restore through the recovery, which of course removed all my apps/settings, however I stayed on Jelly Bean. Haven't had the pop up since. So, while it meant that I had to restore everything, I was still on JB with root. If it does come back, I would suggest doing that.
  • tmyinc likes this

#79 BIGED

BIGED

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD 32GB/32GB

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

Ok, so temp unrooted,

on your SD card, go ahead and boot into (stock) recovery and install zip from SD card, choose the file you just downloaded and let it do it's thing. After it reboots, you can now go back into Voodoo and restore your root access.

The process to continue on the Jelly Bean is EXACTLY the same. Either go into Settings>About Phone>Check for Update and see if your phone can update to JB OTA, OR if you need to,

and you can download it, place on SD card and perform the same process. Make sure you have your root access backed up when you go to Jelly bean as there is no root exploit for JB yet.

Good luck

I have the Droid Razr Maxx HD

I have gone back to ICS per the instructions indicated earlier using the 1.10 utility.

Above, you indicate to put the files on the SD card, but did not indicate any particular folder they should be in, or just the root dir of the card?
Next, when you say to boot into the (stock) recovery of the phone, what am I looking for?

I finally fiddled around with the buttons and got it into the menu folders. For those who dont know, the volume buttons scroll, and the power is the ENTER key. Also, do NOT unzip the file onto the SD card. The update will unzip it itself.

There is a bunch more information in this process, and being that my phone was $450 cause I got it the very first day it was out, along with the multimedia kit, I was VERY HESITANT at starting to just push buttons...

Can you please take the time to include or post up a specific set of instructions to accomplishing the manual updates since apparently Verizon and Motorola have decided to go into BUTTHEAD mode?

Those of us that are techno-noobs would GREATLY appreciate it!!

by the way, AWESOME SITE!!!!

#80 BIGED

BIGED

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD 32GB/32GB

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

Well, after much griping and swearing under my breath at my phone, it is on its way to rooted JB as I am typing this. I have done the ICS flashback, installed the update, done the rooting, and it is doing the JB update right now.

It just pestered me about rebooting...!!! YAY, I HOPE!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)