n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Twitter:scrub175
  • Google+:scrub175
  • LocationJensen Beach FL

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:00 AM

A couple of things... I did a factory reset via the menus vice bootstrap recovery. I had major screen redraw when exiting apps back to home screen. Mostly noticeable when backing out of text message app. I noticed a decrease in performance after installing juice defender. Since I removed it I still had redraw so that prompted me to try a reset. So far back to normal. I went ahead and wiped the internal and 32gb sd card installed from my tbolt.

I was thinking after watching a great series on setting up your device to maximize battery life, many of the data polling tip savers don't apply to razr users using smart actions. If you add disable cell data there is no background data use during a triggered time frame. So setting FB, twitter, email from push to hourly checks really aren't required with data disabled. So using an app to do the same things smart actions can do will cause extra battery drain to run the app and the smart action.

Just some random thoughts.

Meeting time.

#22 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:11 AM

A couple of things... I did a factory reset via the menus vice bootstrap recovery. I had major screen redraw when exiting apps back to home screen. Mostly noticeable when backing out of text message app. I noticed a decrease in performance after installing juice defender. Since I removed it I still had redraw so that prompted me to try a reset. So far back to normal. I went ahead and wiped the internal and 32gb sd card installed from my tbolt.

I was thinking after watching a great series on setting up your device to maximize battery life, many of the data polling tip savers don't apply to razr users using smart actions. If you add disable cell data there is no background data use during a triggered time frame. So setting FB, twitter, email from push to hourly checks really aren't required with data disabled. So using an app to do the same things smart actions can do will cause extra battery drain to run the app and the smart action.

Just some random thoughts.

Meeting time.

I have found with messing with three separate razrs, they are very sensitive too SD support and the cache partitions. Especially the dalvik cache. I removed alot of bloat and my phone still was lagging and kids flickered a bit. I use cache mate,its free, you can clear regular cache and specify certain apps. Thus helps having a clean house so to speak. I use it a few tines a day. With Boston removed and the original SD in use I'm running smooth with good battery life. Also if you put a diffreny SD card in make sure there is not existing data on there. The smart actions I've noticed does suck battery but again it depends what you use it for. I will be curious too see a update of the in the future. Thanks for the info scrub :)

#23 scrub175

scrub175

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

I have found with messing with three separate razrs, they are very sensitive too SD support and the cache partitions. Especially the dalvik cache. I removed alot of bloat and my phone still was lagging and kids flickered a bit. I use cache mate,its free, you can clear regular cache and specify certain apps. Thus helps having a clean house so to speak. I use it a few tines a day. With Boston removed and the original SD in use I'm running smooth with good battery life. Also if you put a diffreny SD card in make sure there is not existing data on there. The smart actions I've noticed does suck battery but again it depends what you use it for. I will be curious too see a update of the in the future. Thanks for the info scrub

The old cache cleaner. Forgot that one.

I did swap SD cards. No major hangups I was going to format but wanted to see the net effect.

The you tube series I mentioned was covering the bionic. Search tempting guides. Good info for new users to properly set up their phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#24 imandroid

imandroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter:imandroid11

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Ok so i Tried the turn off Pocket Detection didn't make a bit of difference to my phone. Today by the time i charged i was at 19hr 37 mins down to 5%. from what i gather the TasKiller is the number one app in my arsenal when it comes to battery life and killing the bloat on an unrooted phone.

The sad part is that my beloved razr has had an early departure and due to unforeseen issue I wont be getting another the device started having random reboots even after wiping clean, due to the verizon rep at the store i was not allowed a device swap. It worked out for the better as VZW refund my restocking fee.. I'm gonna jump on the Gnex if and when its released and if i don't like it well ill be coming back to the Razr.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my sob story.

#25 scrub175

scrub175

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

so it may be a pardon the phrase happy ending?

What kind of stuff did you task kill?

#26 augie757

augie757

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Twitter:@augie757
  • Google+:chris augustine
  • LocationHoth

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Source. XDA

#27 Trooper

Trooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Ive had good luck with just rooting and either deleting and/or freezing me some bloat. Also using wifi mainly has helped a lot. As with all 4G devices on big red right now, battery life is not good. Next year good things will be coming.

#28 thenowherekid

thenowherekid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

Smart actions are pretty sweet. I have tried JuiceDefender time and time again but it always seems to have trouble enabling my data correctly. I Just set the Smart actions to disable cellular data when the display is off. 4g is great and all but dang does it suck down the battery when its flying

#29 Rockingout92

Rockingout92

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:@ZacharyMikel
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

Also, idk if any of you rooted guys use setcpu, but I made a profile for when the display turns off for it to kick the cpu down to 300mhz min/300mhz max. Helps a TON. I have had good results freezing bloat with Titanium Backup too. Right now I am testing my battery with wifi, calls/texts, music, and some apps. I will report back when my battery dies! lol

#30 ddemlong

ddemlong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Also, idk if any of you rooted guys use setcpu, but I made a profile for when the display turns off for it to kick the cpu down to 300mhz min/300mhz max. Helps a TON. I have had good results freezing bloat with Titanium Backup too. Right now I am testing my battery with wifi, calls/texts, music, and some apps. I will report back when my battery dies! lol

Did that too in addition to this:

I for one have had great success with juice defender and just leaving it on balanced. All it does is kill your 4G about a minute after the screen times out and reactivates it every 15 minutes. Your phone still received calls, and texts. As soon as the screen comes back on within a few seconds 4g is reconnected. Its extended my battery life by another 6 hours or so.

Posted Image
Droid RAZR Rooted

#31 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thank you guys so much for the tips! I was just about to give up on this whole rooting business. I have had my phone rooted for a few weeks now but the battery life seems to be getting worse and worse. I'm going to try some of these tips (that I have not already!) And see how that goes. Thanks again for all the help!

#32 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

Did that too in addition to this:

I for one have had great success with juice defender and just leaving it on balanced. All it does is kill your 4G about a minute after the screen times out and reactivates it every 15 minutes. Your phone still received calls, and texts. As soon as the screen comes back on within a few seconds 4g is reconnected. Its extended my battery life by another 6 hours or so.

Are you running autokiller? I really liked AK, and thought it was juicedef. draining the battery, but when I froze Autokiller and let JD run, my battery lasted at least twice as long. Has anyone else noticed this with Autokiller?

#33 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

Are you running autokiller? I really liked AK, and thought it was juicedef. draining the battery, but when I froze Autokiller and let JD run, my battery lasted at least twice as long. Has anyone else noticed this with Autokiller?

Any app like AutoKiller, Task MAnager...etc are a totaly waste and waste more battery then they are worth. Probably why you are seeing such a big difference now.

#34 eckdawg5

eckdawg5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Twitter:twitter.com/eckdawg5

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Did that too in addition to this: I for one have had great success with juice defender and just leaving it on balanced. All it does is kill your 4G about a minute after the screen times out and reactivates it every 15 minutes. Your phone still received calls, and texts. As soon as the screen comes back on within a few seconds 4g is reconnected. Its extended my battery life by another 6 hours or so.

ddemlong...typically how much usage is from voice calls for you?
And does anyone know what mediaserver is? It randomly sucked most of my battery last cycle.

#35 ddemlong

ddemlong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

no task killer
Droid RAZR Rooted

#36 ddemlong

ddemlong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

ddemlong...typically how much usage is from voice calls for you?
And does anyone know what mediaserver is? It randomly sucked most of my battery last cycle.

Um, voice calls can vary from little over an hour to several hours depending on my day. Media Server I believe is the gallery and the social services that you can use to sync share your photos on (twitter, FB, Photobucket etc). I have frozen a lot of apps so I dont really have much usage from media server. Just the basics for me. I don't want things automatically uploading stuff and if I want to I will use the apps.
Droid RAZR Rooted

#37 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

Seems like you guys were right. I've noticed a huge jump in battery life, and performance in general without running autokiller. Freezing in pocket helped a bunch too! Thanks for all the help, I am in love with all the things I've been able to improve since rooting and messing around a little. Its a lot easier getting help from people who have real experience rather than just googling general help. This community has saved my phone, and faith in my droid! Thanks again :)

#38 Cruiserdude

Cruiserdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Twitter:@andrewblitch

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Good tips in here, this is good advice for people wanting more life. I find my life to be just fine, here's my list:

-turn off anything I won't be using, like wifi (my home internet is much slower than LTE), bluetooth, gps (put a power control widget on your desktop, or use a pulldown toggle to enable it only when you need it)
-set individual apps to sync manually or not refresh themselves, or disable auto-sync altogether if you can (I realize some may not like this, personally I check my phone often enough that I prefer getting notified about things when I check them, just like on a pc. I don't like being bombarded with tweets, emails, and facebook messages all day, as I'll see this when I check them myself).
-turn off pocket detection
-dont use live wallpaper
-freeze what bloat you can live without, being aware that if you remove things you need it won't be easy to get them back, and if you remove anything from a stock rom you'll have to fastboot back to get updates
-put any misbehaving apps in the Auto-End list in the stock task manager. Things like Facebook and Amazon App Store tend to spawn processes on my phone all the time, so putting them in this list ensures they are killed and not restarted until you open them
-use Smart Actions and set it to disable Mobile Data when the screen is off, and employ whatever wifi management policies benefit you, if you use wifi
-use AutoKiller Memory Optimizer with whatever settings you find work best for you (but DO NOT use a third-part task killer app)
-use JuiceDefender Ultimate, and set the CPU max idle speed to 600mhz, change your governor to mot_hotplug, and play around with the brightness settings (I lowered the minimum brightness and made the overall curve a bit less bright). Use whatever other functions benefit you, though I find Smart Actions to be better at data management than JD.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I don't get stellar battery life, but I can get through an average day just fine. I use my phone alot for browsing, emails, social networking, some Pandora, etc in addition to the usual calls/texts, and have no problem getting 11-14 hours on average before it dies. This of course goes down if I listen to Pandora ALOT, keep the screen on for long periods of time, and drops rapidly if I'm streaming videos or playing games. There are times I like to do these things, but not on an average day, and I can usually throw it on the charger for a bit of a top-up around dinner time and go all night with any evening activities I have going on. I'd still love the Maxx battery so I could play games and watch videos and such without concern, or get through a full day and night without having to plug it in at all, but I do find that it lasts long enough to not be a problem, and much longer than my Droid Charge.

I still plan to try out Abysm though once it gets updated to the .173/.174 base, as alot of people seem really impressed with its battery life (which strikes me as odd to be that much of a change, but its worth a shot).

#39 gclootz

gclootz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

i am obsessed with getting my droid razr (not maxx) battery to last as long as my iPhone 4 did.
the longest i got on that iPhone to last between charges was 3 days of moderate usage.

as for my droid razr, my last test was the best: 3 days +2 nights = a little over 70 hours on one battery charge

for this test,
  • returned to stock
  • dumped ALL of my battery savers (juice defender, etc.)
  • manually turned wifi/data on/off when needed
    • mostly stayed on wifi (huge battery saver!)
  • use task manager and smart actions
and i used the phone normally as i would, except for the manual wifi/data on/off.
phone worked great! better than it had with my battery savers and GoLauncher.

and i was freaking so excited watching that battery level stay!

oh yeah, also made sure screen was set to power saver as well.
task manager and smart actions are the way to go!

#40 xiinator

xiinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

I actually prefer using llama than smart actions. It's free in the market and it is location based on cell masts instead of gps (which is a battery drainer). Mine is set to turn on wifi when I arrive home, and when it connects, it disables my mobile data. Then when I leave and it disconnects from my wifi, it disables wifi and enables data. When I am at work, the phone is automatically silenced, etc.

Llama has been working pretty well for me. I've pulled more than 58 hours on my maxx.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users