Sh0rty 140

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@Sh0rtyy_140
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Quick question about the .181 update: I'm currently using safestrap and running stock rooted on non-safe side and ICS AOKP Axiom B15 on safe side. If I wanted to update to .181 will I have to uninstall safestrap and install bootstrap instead since I'm not able to flash in non-safe mode? From the way it looks it's what I will have to do b/c of the way it's acting but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help in advance!
"My chick bad, my chick hood.... my chick do stuff that ya chick wish she could!!!!"

#42 Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

I, to, lost root. I'm not all that surprised. I highly suspect Moto is doing these kind of update leaks on purpose. After the no-root updates for the Droid 2 and X, they likely have the Razr in their sights. A recent 'gripe' I sent them about my X;

This little dog-and-pony/cat-and-mouse bull pucky of a game you folks are playing with the aftermarket developers is just about gone too far. As the number of phones begins to grow that are 'locked out' of rooting, my, as well as countless others' patience grows masively thin. I do not wish to do major modifications, only full phone image backup (Nandroid) and some minor functionality tweaks. Be asured, if my Droid Razr gets the same treatment as my retired Droid X has recently recieved, the Razr WILL be my LAST Motorola phone. You could enjoy the praises and loyalty of the Droid community...if you were to return the rooting exploits and unlock the bootloaders with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich...if you ever get around to it. You have some good phones. I have enjoyed their quality and reliability. I'd rather not have to 'jump ship', but will make the change in order to find a smart phone that allows me the proper freedom of choice.

And their reply;

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

We are sorry to hear about the issue.

Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid Razr and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader.

In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software. If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats. Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices for developers via MOTODEV at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Romella

Last I knew, none of the desktop, laptop, netbook manufacturers treat their machines like that. It's all buyer-beware. Anyway, my recomendation is to NOT take any updates from here on out, as they may lock out root 'for our own protection', UNTIL the updates are run by the gurus here for safety!! I suspect Moto is perfecting the lockout for the release of ICS. They pull that, and Motorola is OFF my list of phone makers!!

#43 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Last I knew, none of the desktop, laptop, netbook manufacturers treat their machines like that. It's all buyer-beware. Anyway, my recomendation is to NOT take any updates from here on out, as they may lock out root 'for our own protection', UNTIL the updates are run by the gurus here for safety!! I suspect Moto is perfecting the lockout for the release of ICS. They pull that, and Motorola is OFF my list of phone makers!!

Actually, they do. That is a large reason why computer manufacturers like slightly modified motherboards, as it makes it more difficult to adjust settings (overclock) or flash new BIOS versions without them playing with them first. However, in the desktop computer world we can simply build our own machines rather than relying on somebody else to package it together for us.
  • jroc likes this

#44 shaggie821

shaggie821

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Quick question about the .181 update: I'm currently using safestrap and running stock rooted on non-safe side and ICS AOKP Axiom B15 on safe side. If I wanted to update to .181 will I have to uninstall safestrap and install bootstrap instead since I'm not able to flash in non-safe mode? From the way it looks it's what I will have to do b/c of the way it's acting but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help in advance!

Flash in moto recovery & idk if AXIOM will work properly after update maybe..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Attached Files

#45 redls1

redls1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I did this update and am using Axiom with no problems for the most part.

#46 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm think of going back to stock and then applying this update, then flash a compatible ROM. Stock base is already .173. My weekend project.

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#47 shaggie821

shaggie821

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Use Voodoo OTA free from play now 2 reroot & protect root after update. Running smooth i like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using 6.12.181.xt912 Tapatalk

#48 just lou

just lou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

If I apply this update to a completly stock Razr, will it take me off the official upgrade path? Will I have to go back to .173 for official updates? Thanks.

#49 ddemlong

ddemlong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

If I apply this update to a completly stock Razr, will it take me off the official upgrade path? Will I have to go back to .173 for official updates? Thanks.

Unknown as of now since we dont have an official update to test that out, Given Moto's history you will probably have to fastboot back to .173 using Utility or RSD
Droid RAZR Rooted

#50 shaggie821

shaggie821

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

Just use matts utility 2 go back 2 stock. Does everything 4 u & can can get u2 Ap boot. Ready 2 flash. Titanium Backup Pro is ur best friend. I would suggest internal sd flash as well. ****BACKUP TB files on Sd-ext b4 whip.**** Do not back up system apps just ur downloaded files. Gab gab gab. Ask 4 any questions. Bored at work. FYI DID THE WHOLE PROCESS THIS MORNING INCLUDING ROOTING & THIS UPDATE & REROOT. WORKING FLAWLESSLY!!!P.S. LOLMatts Utility ......

[Windows]Droid Razr Utility [Windows] Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#51 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

As always. Yes and yes.
  • just lou likes this

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#52 just lou

just lou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. ...I haven't bothered rooting or customizing since my Maxx has been virtually flawless. I guess I' ll stay on .173 for now since I have 0 issues.

#53 Sh0rty 140

Sh0rty 140

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

I did this update and am using Axiom with no problems for the most part.

Are you using Bootstrap or Safestrap?

I'm using safestrap and was wondering if you flashed this on the safe side running Axiom B15 b/c you cannot flash anything on the non-safe side at all. Thanks for help in advance!!!
"My chick bad, my chick hood.... my chick do stuff that ya chick wish she could!!!!"

#54 ka1z0ku

ka1z0ku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

How is everyone feeling about 3G and/or 4G connectivity after using this for a few days? I have had a couple examples of good 4G service in Jax but today I couldn't get data connectivity to save my life, either in Jax or at home in 3G. Maybe it was just VZW being retarded?

#55 Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Bout the same, west of Philly. Slight improvement, if that. 4G due end of summer, but not holding my breath! Every little bit helps. Probly just another VZW glitch.

#56 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

Haven't had a single drop since flashing this. But I'm in a 3g only area. Had occasional drops on .173.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

#57 Sh0rty 140

Sh0rty 140

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm using safestrap...stock rooted on non-safe and Axiom on safe side. Went into moto recovery to flash the update and now I can only get my Axiom rom to boot up. I no longer get the safestrap splash screen to either select menu to enter recovery or search to continue... Can anyone possibly tell me what I might have done wrong here?

#58 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

How is everyone feeling about 3G and/or 4G connectivity after using this for a few days? I have had a couple examples of good 4G service in Jax but today I couldn't get data connectivity to save my life, either in Jax or at home in 3G. Maybe it was just VZW being retarded?

Bout the same, west of Philly. Slight improvement, if that. 4G due end of summer, but not holding my breath! Every little bit helps. Probly just another VZW glitch.

Haven't had a single drop since flashing this. But I'm in a 3g only area. Had occasional drops on .173.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Again, the 4G radio doesn't change from 173 in this update. The only users that would notice a difference would be non-4G users.

Posted Image

#59 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'm using safestrap...stock rooted on non-safe and Axiom on safe side. Went into moto recovery to flash the update and now I can only get my Axiom rom to boot up. I no longer get the safestrap splash screen to either select menu to enter recovery or search to continue... Can anyone possibly tell me what I might have done wrong here?

Installing this update will break Safestrap and require that you open the safestrap apk and "reinstall" the SS system. Axiom shouldn't be booting by default as safestrap is no longer present to guide it there. It should be booting straight into moto stock software.

Posted Image

#60 Sh0rty 140

Sh0rty 140

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Got it!!!! Thanks guys and recovery shows that it's still in safe mode. Thanks again!!!!!

Booted into non-safe and update took just fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users