#81 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yea, I'm gonna go with "don't do that". :)

Yeah, safe move

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#82 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

OK, ready to take the plunge. Haven't unlocked since the early days of Thunderbolt. Has anyone flashed CWM recovery to a XT926? I want to know that I can get from here to there. I am rooted, and on JB 4.1.2. I've downloaded the exploit, just havent run it yet.

I've been a fan of Rom Manager for a long time, just looking for others that have already done it.

I had in the past on my Dev Edition but it looks like Hashcode removed the link form his Goo.Im page. Personally I'd suggest using TWRP tho as that is what Hashcode seems to prefer using these dyas moving forward. Not sure much will come of CWM as its not used alot anymore it seems

#83 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

TWRP rocks. I use it on my Xoom.
  • Aixelsyd likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#84 rokr1292

rokr1292

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

are there any idiot-proof flashing how-to's for flashing roms on CWM or TWRP? and is it possible to use either like safestrap and have "rom slots" or something similar?

#85 djousma

djousma

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

I had in the past on my Dev Edition but it looks like Hashcode removed the link form his Goo.Im page. Personally I'd suggest using TWRP tho as that is what Hashcode seems to prefer using these dyas moving forward. Not sure much will come of CWM as its not used alot anymore it seems

Thanks for the feedback.

#86 triskropf97

triskropf97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Google+:Triskropf@gmail.com
  • LocationNashville, AR
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ok so first off congrats to Dan for doing the near impossible from wat I read... And... If I got this right... U have to be rooted to to unlock but once we're unlocked rooting is as easy as flashing a root zip but wy if we're already rooted? And I didn't quite catch if I'm supposed to delete all my slots and uninstall recovery or can I literally have both ss and twrp at the same time???

#87 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Why being able to flash root is important is going forward. If for some reason you did take an OTA and it whacked root on you, you could just install a custom recovery, flash a new su binary zip, and be good to go. Or flash a system img with su built in. Or if you needed to FXZ (fastboot) your phone to factory for whatever reason, you could restore root even if no exploit exists. Etc.
  • jroc, Narffran and triskropf97 like this

#88 triskropf97

triskropf97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Google+:Triskropf@gmail.com
  • LocationNashville, AR
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

That came to me after I replied... Durrrrrrr:p

#89 dhyamato

dhyamato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Twitter:dhyamato
  • Google+:+DwayneYamato
  • LocationOrange County, California
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Raspberry Pi

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'm close to flipping the switch, but have a few questions before doing so.

Which ROM Slot should I be on before doing so? Do I have to be on the stock slot?

If my current daily driver in on slot #3, can I flash the exploit while on slot #3?

Will I have access to Safe Strap and access Slot #3 after flashing the exploit?

Thanking the group in advance.

[Update] After looking at a couple other forums, I went ahead with the unlock. Very easy process while in slot #3.

#90 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • Twitter:pcarenza
  • Google+:pcarenza@gmail.com
  • LocationTampa Bay
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD, Nexus 7

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

are there any idiot-proof flashing how-to's for flashing roms on CWM or TWRP? and is it possible to use either like safestrap and have "rom slots" or something similar?

Yes it is possible, as it has been done on the Nexus devices with a fair amount of ease... If hashcode doesn't pull it off, someone will... but for the moment you can still use safestrap as usual as long as you keep the stock rom.

#91 kriskokd

kriskokd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

I took the OTA and have root but my SU binaries are out of date. How do I update them? SU and busybox will not run. Safestrap fails. Thanks for the help in advance
  • ringkong likes this

#92 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

What happens when you run superuser?

#93 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

I took the OTA and have root but my SU binaries are out of date. How do I update them? SU and busybox will not run. Safestrap fails. Thanks for the help in advance

Make sure you have unknown sources checked..

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#94 kriskokd

kriskokd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

The SU app installs fine. When i try to update it says fail. I have unknown sources checked also. I've tried all SU apps and all fail. TB works fine and Voodoo OTA says I have root

#95 New Rising

New Rising

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

I'm still kinda confused if after I unlock the bootloader can I still use safestrap or does TWRP have to be used? I have a Nexus 7 so Im kinda familiar with TWRP but I'd prefer to keep using safestrap. Is there a benefit of using TWRP over safestrap?

#96 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm still kinda confused if after I unlock the bootloader can I still use safestrap or does TWRP have to be used? I have a Nexus 7 so Im kinda familiar with TWRP but I'd prefer to keep using safestrap. Is there a benefit of using TWRP over safestrap?

TWRP is a real recovery replacement for the stock recovery. SS works on top of the stock recovery, but does not replace it.

You can continue using Safestrap. If you flash TWRP or CWM after unlocking the bootloader, then you will be replacing the stock recovery.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#97 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

This is true I have both on my phone. I thought I screwed something up lol

#98 razzrmaxx

razzrmaxx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

I think unlocking the bootloader is a must for anyone that has root or wants to keep root... i froze updater.apk from titanium hopefully that'll send all OTA updates right back up motorola's rear end • ... now my question if i may add one more, can someone please make a pro-video on how to use TWRP recovery? I tried it last month but it has too many options in other words is too advanced for me and im bootloader unlocked! Heheh... and also, to completely remove safestrap 3.11 do i just uninstall from the app yo? Thanks to Dan and all you wonderful beautiful minds LoL
  • New Rising likes this

#99 chucklehead

chucklehead

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

... and also, to completely remove safestrap 3.11 do i just uninstall from the app yo? Thanks to Dan and all you wonderful beautiful minds LoL

First, run the Safestrap app in your app drawer and choose to uninstall recovery if it says it's installed. Then you should uninstall the app.

TWRP is relatively easy to use. The options you'll really end up using the most are:
  • Backup
  • Wipe
  • Install
  • Restore
Most of the other options you'll very rarely use. Check youtube for a tutorial video. I'm pretty sure there are some out there.

#100 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • Twitter:pcarenza
  • Google+:pcarenza@gmail.com
  • LocationTampa Bay
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD, Nexus 7

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

One thing to remember if you're going to convert ROMs from safestrap to twrp, MAKE SURE you save a copy of the stock rom WITH THE boot.img. I very nearly lost stock kernel by flashing cm 10.1 on TWRP, and only got it back because I had the sense to backup a rom with boot.img included before doing anything else. Otherwise you're going to have to fish around for a stock rom to flash, and it's a lot more uncomfortable than just restoring from a full nandroid.
Also, when you restore safestrap backups, keep in mind that they won't work with anything other than the stock kernel at this point.... I tried that too, with the cm10.1 kernel, and got nothing but a black screen.
Thirdly, it looks like with TWRP installed the whole filesystem has changed.. it's almost like there are 2 different internal storages - /data/media and /sdcard ... nothing seems to be the same for each of them... what's the story on that and what are the actual mount points?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users