RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Listen to this guy^^^.

Edited by RikRong, 10 April 2013 - 12:19 AM.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#102 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

One thing to remember if you're going to convert ROMs from safestrap to twrp, MAKE SURE you save a copy of the stock rom WITH THE boot.img. I very nearly lost stock kernel by flashing cm 10.1 on TWRP, and only got it back because I had the sense to backup a rom with boot.img included before doing anything else. Otherwise you're going to have to fish around for a stock rom to flash, and it's a lot more uncomfortable than just restoring from a full nandroid.
Also, when you restore safestrap backups, keep in mind that they won't work with anything other than the stock kernel at this point.... I tried that too, with the cm10.1 kernel, and got nothing but a black screen.
Thirdly, it looks like with TWRP installed the whole filesystem has changed.. it's almost like there are 2 different internal storages - /data/media and /sdcard ... nothing seems to be the same for each of them... what's the story on that and what are the actual mount points?

So what your saying you still can keep safestrap but if you use anything but the stock kernel it will fail. So you can flash CM10 in twrp but then safe wont work because its not stock kernel. If I were to flash a safe rom in twrp it would work.

#103 mattwheat

mattwheat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

SO HOW EXACTLY DO I CONVERT ROMS FROM SS TO TWRP I SEEM TO ONLY BE ABLE TO GET THE CM ROMS TO LOAD I INSTALLED SS AND CREATED A ROM SLOT AND CAN FLASH WHATEVER TO THEM ALL WHILE HAVING TWRP INSTALLED BUT WITH AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER I LIKE TWRP AND WANT TO TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF IT

IM ASSUMING YOU MEAN WHILE ON STOCK ROM/KERNEL I CAN FLASH THESE ROMS BUT IF I CHANGE TO A ROM WITH DIFF KERNEL I MUST RETURN TO STOCK ROM/KERNEL THEN FLASH THESE OTHER ROMS I.E INFLIKTED, FUZION, BATAKANG, ETC

#104 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

SO HOW EXACTLY DO I CONVERT ROMS FROM SS TO TWRP I SEEM TO ONLY BE ABLE TO GET THE CM ROMS TO LOAD I INSTALLED SS AND CREATED A ROM SLOT AND CAN FLASH WHATEVER TO THEM ALL WHILE HAVING TWRP INSTALLED BUT WITH AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER I LIKE TWRP AND WANT TO TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF IT

IM ASSUMING YOU MEAN WHILE ON STOCK ROM/KERNEL I CAN FLASH THESE ROMS BUT IF I CHANGE TO A ROM WITH DIFF KERNEL I MUST RETURN TO STOCK ROM/KERNEL THEN FLASH THESE OTHER ROMS I.E INFLIKTED, FUZION, BATAKANG, ETC

Yes from what I understand you have to have stock kernel in stock rom slot for safe to work.

#105 mattwheat

mattwheat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

OK WELL IM TRYING TO AVOID USING SS WOULD RATHER JUST FLASH IN TWRP WHICH TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SLOT THE ONE THAT YOUR ROM IS RUNNING ON SO AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING THAT I HAVE TO RELOAD MY STOCK BACKUP EACH TIME I WANT TO GO FROM SAY A CM 10.1 DEV ADDITION TO A SS STYLE ROM LIKE INFLIKTED? BUT IF I WANT TO GO FROM INFLIKTED TO DEV ADDITION ROM IT DOESNT MATTER IF I RELOAD THE STOCK OR NOT DUE TO IT CHANGING FROM STOCK KERNEL TO A DIFF KERNEL?

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS IVE BEEN SO USED TO SS AND LOCKED BOOTLOADER THIS IS THE FIRST UNLOCKED BL PHONE IVE EVER HAD OR MESSED WITH BESIDES ROOTING AND UNLOCKING A FEW NOTES AND GS2 AND 3'S

#106 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

.sorry...

R. Long: Pixel 5

#107 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

OK WELL IM TRYING TO AVOID USING SS WOULD RATHER JUST FLASH IN TWRP WHICH TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SLOT THE ONE THAT YOUR ROM IS RUNNING ON SO AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING THAT I HAVE TO RELOAD MY STOCK BACKUP EACH TIME I WANT TO GO FROM SAY A CM 10.1 DEV ADDITION TO A SS STYLE ROM LIKE INFLIKTED? BUT IF I WANT TO GO FROM INFLIKTED TO DEV ADDITION ROM IT DOESNT MATTER IF I RELOAD THE STOCK OR NOT DUE TO IT CHANGING FROM STOCK KERNEL TO A DIFF KERNEL?

SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS IVE BEEN SO USED TO SS AND LOCKED BOOTLOADER THIS IS THE FIRST UNLOCKED BL PHONE IVE EVER HAD OR MESSED WITH BESIDES ROOTING AND UNLOCKING A FEW NOTES AND GS2 AND 3'S

This is what Im thinking havent tried it yet. I would like to hear from someone else but I dont see why it wouldnt work unless safe and twrp wont play nice together.

#108 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

This is what Im thinking havent tried it yet. I would like to hear from someone else but I dont see why it wouldnt work unless safe and twrp wont play nice together.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#109 mattwheat

mattwheat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

YEAH IVE RUN SS ALREADY AFTER UNLOCK BUT IM TRYING TO AVOID SS AND ONLY USE TWRP BECAUSE IM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU CANT USE SS TO BACK UP OR INSTALL NEW KERNELS AND THATS MAINLY WHY I UNLOCKED WAS TO BE ABLE TO FLASH SEPERATE KERNELS CHANGE KERNELS TO GET THE SMOOTHEST AND MOST SPEED OUT OF MY PHONE

I JUST TRIED LOADING CM 10.1 DEV EDITION IN TWRP AFTER FULL WIPES AND IT FAILED ALMOST IMMEDIATLY ????

#110 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,503 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Is your caps lock key broken?
  • heffzilla and rokr1292 like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#111 mattwheat

mattwheat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

NO ITS JUST LOUD OVER HERE LOL

#112 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • Twitter:pcarenza
  • Google+:pcarenza@gmail.com
  • LocationTampa Bay
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD, Nexus 7

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

YEAH IVE RUN SS ALREADY AFTER UNLOCK BUT IM TRYING TO AVOID SS AND ONLY USE TWRP BECAUSE IM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU CANT USE SS TO BACK UP OR INSTALL NEW KERNELS AND THATS MAINLY WHY I UNLOCKED WAS TO BE ABLE TO FLASH SEPERATE KERNELS CHANGE KERNELS TO GET THE SMOOTHEST AND MOST SPEED OUT OF MY PHONE

I JUST TRIED LOADING CM 10.1 DEV EDITION IN TWRP AFTER FULL WIPES AND IT FAILED ALMOST IMMEDIATLY ????

You can certainly flash different kernels.. in fact, the CM10.1 worked in my TWRP (NOT SS mind you), but remember the install flash of CM a) installs a new kernel and B) requires you ALSO flash the latest 4.2.2 gapps (goo,im/gapps)
However, if you want any of the SS roms to work again after flashing a non-stock kernel, you have to have the entire (including boot.img) TWRP nandroid of a stock rom.. doesn't have to be stock moto, could even be one of the many roms that are based on stock.
That being said, you can use any SS backup to restore system, data, and cache on top of a stock rom in TWRP. You can not flash these roms, only restore from backups. I have not yet tried seeing if I can install Safestrap on alternate stock-based roms... not quite that adventurous yet.

#113 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

You can certainly flash different kernels.. in fact, the CM10.1 worked in my TWRP (NOT SS mind you), but remember the install flash of CM a) installs a new kernel and B) requires you ALSO flash the latest 4.2.2 gapps (goo,im/gapps)
However, if you want any of the SS roms to work again after flashing a non-stock kernel, you have to have the entire (including boot.img) TWRP nandroid of a stock rom.. doesn't have to be stock moto, could even be one of the many roms that are based on stock.
That being said, you can use any SS backup to restore system, data, and cache on top of a stock rom in TWRP. You can not flash these roms, only restore from backups. I have not yet tried seeing if I can install Safestrap on alternate stock-based roms... not quite that adventurous yet.

Im folowing everything you say except the boot image part. I did a backup there were three things in there I think after I did it I looked in restore and it was there along with another backup I must have done in safe.

#114 mattwheat

mattwheat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

How can I tell if my backup has boot IMG file and if not how can I back up with said file.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

#115 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

How can I tell if my backup has boot IMG file and if not how can I back up with said file. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

+1

#116 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:17 AM

+1

You should take care of this when you first unlock to be sure. Unless you've flashed cm 10.1 without making a backup prior, you may be safe.
If in fact you don't have this kernel you're going to have to find the zipped firmware and extract and flash the boot.img
If you still have safestrap AND you've flashed TWRP recovery, go straight to recovery while you're on the stock rom and make a nandroid right.this.second. Make sure 'boot' is checked with 'system' and 'data'.
You can now use this to restore your phone should anything go wrong.

#117 rokr1292

rokr1292

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yes it is possible, as it has been done on the Nexus devices with a fair amount of ease... If hashcode doesn't pull it off, someone will... but for the moment you can still use safestrap as usual as long as you keep the stock rom.

so as of now, theres no way to simultaneously run for example a stock rom as well as a rom with non-stock kernel like CM 10.1, correct?

last night i tried CM10.1 for fun, and when trying to switch back using a twrp backup, i wiped cache, dalvik, system, and did a factory restore, then went to the restore menu and restored from a backup i had made after i first installed TWRP (2.4.4.0) but it would not restore, i would never get to the bootanimation, just a black screen. fastbooting to 4.0.4 and updating from the sd card got me back to where i was before i flashed CM. was i missing a step?

also, is CM 10.1 the only aftermarket rom available for the dev edition?

#118 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

so as of now, theres no way to simultaneously run for example a stock rom as well as a rom with non-stock kernel like CM 10.1, correct?

last night i tried CM10.1 for fun, and when trying to switch back using a twrp backup, i wiped cache, dalvik, system, and did a factory restore, then went to the restore menu and restored from a backup i had made after i first installed TWRP (2.4.4.0) but it would not restore, i would never get to the bootanimation, just a black screen. fastbooting to 4.0.4 and updating from the sd card got me back to where i was before i flashed CM. was i missing a step?

also, is CM 10.1 the only aftermarket rom available for the dev edition?

I'm picking apart the code for Multirom for my N7 and comparing it to a vanilla TWRP to see what all needs to be changed. Multirom will allow you to have several ROMS at once, allowing you either to share the kernel or kexec individual ones. Can't say I'm having too much success yet...

Yes, it's only a black screen because you still have the CM 10.1 boot.img. You have to reflash the boot.img from stock in fastboot or restore an appropriate stock ROM.

#119 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

You should take care of this when you first unlock to be sure. Unless you've flashed cm 10.1 without making a backup prior, you may be safe.
If in fact you don't have this kernel you're going to have to find the zipped firmware and extract and flash the boot.img
If you still have safestrap AND you've flashed TWRP recovery, go straight to recovery while you're on the stock rom and make a nandroid right.this.second. Make sure 'boot' is checked with 'system' and 'data'.
You can now use this to restore your phone should anything go wrong.

I did do that I always backup first and I made sure they were all checked just wasnt sure because thats kind of a new way Im used to CWM recovery. Thanks for your advise I appreciate it

#120 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

LOL no problem I wouldn't have been aware of all this stuff had I not gotten my hands dirty with an N7 and different kernels.

I repeat for everyone who doesn't know already:

If you're still on a stock rom with Safestrap with your bootloader unlocked:
  • You can keep safestrap and flash roms the old way, nothing is stopping you;
  • You can choose to flash any safestrap roms in TWRP since all that's flashed is system,data,cache... just remember you have to be on the stock kernel to do so, and if you flash anything other than your 'safe' rom, you will no longer have safestrap (though if you restore your original stock backup with safestrack, it will magically return :))
  • You can also choose to flash any dev rom with modified kernels, but be warned - you *cannot* reflash safestrap roms over this modified kernel successfully. You have to return to the stock kernel by either restoring from stock nandroid or reflashing from the stock firmware.
  • Until you actually uninstall safestrap and physically remove the rom slots, they will still be in your filesystem somewhere (it seems once I installed CM, though, they got shuffled around to /data/media). They will still take up valuable space until you remove them.
If anyone else has anything additional to share, please do--- the more we keep people in the know, the better we are as a community!
  • The Stick likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users