Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

So what's the best Recovery now that we can use them normally? Clockworkmod still a good option or does everyone prefer TWRP?

Good question I was always a cwm man but I am trying twrp and it does the same thing and is easier and faster. I think everyone is going there.

#142 curtdragon

curtdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Good question I was always a cwm man but I am trying twrp and it does the same thing and is easier and faster. I think everyone is going there.

Yeah I used to use CWM with my OG Droid and my Droid X but we had to use SS for the HD and Razr.
Well if it is easier and faster I guess I'll stick with TWRP

#143 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Yeah I used to use CWM with my OG Droid and my Droid X but we had to use SS for the HD and Razr.
Well if it is easier and faster I guess I'll stick with TWRP

I think it just a matter of you been doing things one way for so long you dont want to fix it if its not broke lol. Its the same as SS

#144 pcarenza

pcarenza

Team Horizon developer

• Developer
  • 342 posts
  • Twitter:pcarenza
  • Google+:pcarenza@gmail.com
  • LocationTampa Bay
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD, Nexus 7

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yeah I much prefer TWRP, if only because it keeps your phone charging while you flash/backup/restore....

#145 curtdragon

curtdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Not at all, I honestly was only asking because the recovery loader app has CWM as one of the options. I'm all for whatever is faster and best

#146 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • LocationIl & WI

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Not at all, I honestly was only asking because the recovery loader app has CWM as one of the options. I'm all for whatever is faster and best

I was talking about me lol.

#147 budlight082684

budlight082684

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter:eric082684

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

OK I unlocked went to stock ROM slot in ss restored stock ROM uninstalled recovery, uninstalled ss, ran the one click to install the twrp recovery everything went smooth backed up my stock ROM and then flashed a custom rom, I've only downloaded 10 apps and I'm using 11 GB of storage

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files

#148 mrmondaynight29

mrmondaynight29

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Ok guys a lil advise plz, I may have over looked it, but do I run version 3 for my razor m? Or do i need to use something else for for twrp recovery? Thanks

#149 budlight082684

budlight082684

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter:eric082684

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Attached Files

#150 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

As long as your unlocked you can do anything a dev edition can do

Yeah that's what I thought. Just figured I would check and suggest adding it to the op.

So what's the best Recovery now that we can use them normally? Clockworkmod still a good option or does everyone prefer TWRP?

Best is sort of a subjective term. As for fastest unless twrp has some major optimizations recently I can't see why it would be any faster then SafeStrap as SS is just a modified version of twrp. At the end of the day the hardware is usually the determining factor in how fast something is. Think of it like a Camaro or Mustang. The v6 versions might be fast but the v8 is going to be faster. If you want to make it faster you upgrade the engine components (hardware). Granted you tune the pcm(software) at some point but the main focus always lies in the hardware.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

#151 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I will say that if you are like me and you tend to try out any new ROM that comes out to see what you like best..then even if ss suffers in terms of speed, the ability to switch ROM slots on the fly is unparalleled. As for ease of use the actions to flash a ROM are technically about the same amount of steps and differ only by a few taps on the screen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

#152 curtdragon

curtdragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

is there a way to get ss to replace the stock recovery like twrp? Also a little off topic but is there a way to put things on the sd card while in the recovery?

#153 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

OK I unlocked went to stock ROM slot in ss restored stock ROM uninstalled recovery, uninstalled ss, ran the one click to install the twrp recovery everything went smooth backed up my stock ROM and then flashed a custom rom, I've only downloaded 10 apps and I'm using 11 GB of storage

Did you delete your roms slots?
  • budlight082684 likes this

#154 razzrmaxx

razzrmaxx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

So since Dan made the new root exploit for people who took the 4.1.2 OTA, it shouldn't be a problem unlocking the bootloader on 4.1.2, correct?

Would you please sharenew root exploit to ota 4.1.2? Please

#155 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

Did you delete your roms slots?

Yep delete your ROM slots, and any other files that SS left behind. I noticed I freed a lot of space when I deleted the SS folder I fould in Root Explorer. Move the previous backups (if you made any in SS) to your external SD, move the TWRP folder to your external SD (or just delete it and reaccomplish backup, making sure you choose to save to backup to external SD).
  • tmyinc likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#156 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Would you please sharenew root exploit to ota 4.1.2? Please

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#157 razzrmaxx

razzrmaxx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

I think this is getting too confused on what recovery to use, im bootloader unlocked with no slots (safe strapped) stock running and im just going to wait on what the recovery the devs are going to recommend to use when flashing the roms im will consider worth flashing after reading their reviews.

#158 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

After restoring backup of a SS ROM, my gallery will no longer show thumbnails and screenshots will not save. I have gone through the gauntlet with wiping data and cache partition, but nothing has worked. This has also now been mentioned on XDA by another person. Any suggestions? Just un-install and re-install gallery?

edit: Another interesting tidbit, my ringtones are not showing up at all if I choose them under settings. However, they are still in the /system folder.

edit, again: Also interesting, I went into recovery to wipe cache and try to restore the saved backup of this very ROM, it failed. Tried the previous one, failed. Tried the one from way back when the phone was completely stock, failed. To me, this is saying that trying to restore a SS saved ROM will not work, and if it does, it won't last for long and things stop working. Luckily, FDR worked. I'm at work, so I can't try flashing a new ROM right now.

#159 razzrmaxx

razzrmaxx

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

After restoring backup of a SS ROM, my gallery will no longer show thumbnails and screenshots will not save. I have gone through the gauntlet with wiping data and cache partition, but nothing has worked. This has also now been mentioned on XDA by another person. Any suggestions? Just un-install and re-install gallery?

edit: Another interesting tidbit, my ringtones are not showing up at all if I choose them under settings. However, they are still in the /system folder.

edit, again: Also interesting, I went into recovery to wipe cache and try to restore the saved backup of this very ROM, it failed. Tried the previous one, failed. Tried the one from way back when the phone was completely stock, failed. To me, this is saying that trying to restore a SS saved ROM will not work, and if it does, it won't last for long and things stop working. Luckily, FDR worked. I'm at work, so I can't try flashing a new ROM right now.

From what i read on your first reply on this thread... you got problems, everything went smooth on my end so far but here is something for you and everyone from moto site to think about; Unlocking your bootloader is not for the faint of heart. Unlocking your device and installing your own software might cause the device to stop working, disable important features and functionality, and even make the device unsafe to the point of causing you harm. Neither Motorola, nor your wireless carrier or retailer from whom you purchased the device, will be responsible for such damage, so please do not unlock or load any software unless you know what you are doing.
You have only yourself to blame. Once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader.

#160 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Trust me, I know the risks of unlocking the bootloader, and I'm blaming nobody for the issues that have popped up. This is not my first rodeo with an unlocked bootloader. However, I do find it interesting how this phone is responding to the mods. The phone is working after FDR, but it's interesting that my restored ROM was working perfectly, decided to stop working perfectly, and then wouldn't restore at all. I restored cleanly, wiping everything. I simply am trying to find out if anyone else is having the same problems. It's a learning experience, and I'm sharing everything, the good and the bad. If you go through the thread on XDA, there are quite a few people that have had the same issues come up. I don't know why the Gallery stopped working, and I spent quite a while searching Google and trying all the solutions I came across.

If I've inconvenienced anyone else by posting my problems, I apologize. :wacko:
  • neckchop likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users