• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

#61 archcantor

archcantor

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Current Device(s):RazrMaxx HD XT926, Asus Transformer TF-101, Samsung Tab2 7"

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

just to let you know i tried this to boot up three different kernels and three different roms to switch between (cm10.1, 4.1.1, 4.1.2) and unfortunately it did not work in any order because i believe (i'm no dev or anything) safestrap cannot swicth kernels when you boot into different slots so you have to manually boot the right kernel (boot.img) in twrp recovery and whenever you do that it stops safestrap from working. probably because it was just made for moto based roms only and not meant to switch kernels because we didn't have access to the bootloader when it was made. so bottom line... i would say don't waste your time like i did. i am just going to wait and hope that hashcode is possibly working on a twrp recovery that has the ability to boot multiple slots and kernels, if thats even possible. but either way once we get a fully functional cm or aokp rom life will be good right?!
p.s. if i'm wrong and you get it working let me know.

Yeah I see your point. I think you are correct that SS can not switch kernels so the slots have to be the same Android version or compatible with whatever kernel you have. I think folks were working on a recovery that had rom slots. Until now it was not useful to everyone because of the locked bootloader. Thanks for telling your experience.

#62 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:tjnaps27
  • Current Device(s):"Dan" Edition Razr Maxx HD

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yeah I see your point. I think you are correct that SS can not switch kernels so the slots have to be the same Android version or compatible with whatever kernel you have. I think folks were working on a recovery that had rom slots. Until now it was not useful to everyone because of the locked bootloader. Thanks for telling your experience.

just to be more specific about this, when you backup and restore in safestrap you'll notice 3 check boxes. system and data by default and cache is optional. when you switch to twrp, like i did, you'll now see 4 check boxes, system data and BOOT and cache is still optional, and the BOOT checkbox is the important one, that's your kernel :D
  • GillRigged likes this

#63 trey

trey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Twitter:torano spencer
  • Google+:toranos1@gmail.com
  • LocationARKANSAS AR
  • Current Device(s):DROID ULTRA MAXX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

Can you just use safestrap
trey.$$$$

#64 archcantor

archcantor

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Can you just use safestrap

Yeah, you can continue to use safestrap. If your bootloader is locked, this is your only option. If you unlock your bootloader you can use a recovery like TWRP which will allow you to flash roms and kernels even older or newer versions. You don't yet have rom slots in TWRP but you can backup and restore roms to SD card, internal or external at will.

#65 jld

jld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr HD MAXX

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, question: what can we do from the bootloader screen? I have no options, if I press power the phone starts. Vol up/down don't do anything. Is this normal?

#66 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, question: what can we do from the bootloader screen? I have no options, if I press power the phone starts. Vol up/down don't do anything. Is this normal?

If you are in AP fastboot then yes that is normal. AP fastboot is just used you flash images and such to your phone via rsd lite or fastboot commands.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

• jld likes this

#67 Guest_Megaroad_*

Guest_Megaroad_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

In TWRP, is it necessary to wipe system/data/cache before restoring a backup of a different rom?

#68 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

In TWRP, is it necessary to wipe system/data/cache before restoring a backup of a different rom?

Its not necessary but do it anyhow just to be safe. The restore process automatically wipes these partitions for you.

• vtwinbmx likes this

#69 jld

jld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

If you are in AP fastboot then yes that is normal. AP fastboot is just used you flash images and such to your phone via rsd lite or fastboot commands.

Ah thanks. I'm still trying to piece this all together. So this is the same screen you perform fastboot actions from. Got it. Now to figure that out.

#70 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Ah thanks. I'm still trying to piece this all together. So this is the same screen you perform fastboot actions from. Got it. Now to figure that out.

If you need any help feel free to pm me or find me in the chat room this evening.

#71 jld

jld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks a lot! I think I will need more help, I'm new to motorola and I'm afraid to screw anything up.

I want to flash the 4.1.2 DST ROM and I'm coming from 4.1.1. I'm just not sure which order to do things. Do I need to flash the the boot.img before or after flashing the ROM?

#72 Guest_Megaroad_*

Guest_Megaroad_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks a lot! I think I will need more help, I'm new to motorola and I'm afraid to screw anything up.

I want to flash the 4.1.2 DST ROM and I'm coming from 4.1.1. I'm just not sure which order to do things. Do I need to flash the the boot.img before or after flashing the ROM?

If you've never flashed CryogenMod you don't have to flash the boot.img. The DST rom uses the same kernel that the phone came with, you so already have the boot.img that you need on there. The boot.img-flashing thing is just if you replaced your stock kernel by flashing CM.

#73 jld

jld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Oh, no kidding. In the other topic, it seemed as though people were having to flash the 4.1.2 boot.img along with the ROM. Looks like I'll be flashing soon then! Thank you!

#74 Guest_Megaroad_*

Guest_Megaroad_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Oh, no kidding. In the other topic, it seemed as though people were having to flash the 4.1.2 boot.img along with the ROM. Looks like I'll be flashing soon then! Thank you!

Just remember to make a backup first and then wipe dalvik/system/data/cache, and then going into "Mount" and check system before installing.

#75 Guest_Megaroad_*

Guest_Megaroad_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Shoot, now I think I might be wrong about that. Maybe 4.1.2 has a different kernel that you need. If I steered you wrong, my apologies.

#76 jld

jld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's all good. I did need to flash the boot.img, but it wasn't a problem at all. Everything is running smoothly so far. Your post gave me the push I needed!

#77 Guest_Megaroad_*

Guest_Megaroad_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

It's all good. I did need to flash the boot.img, but it wasn't a problem at all. Everything is running smoothly so far. Your post gave me the push I needed!

Sorry, I forgot I've been on the 4.1.2 OTA all along so it wasn't an issue for me. My bad. :(
  • jld likes this

#78 archcantor

archcantor

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Its not necessary but do it anyhow just to be safe. The restore process automatically wipes these partitions for you.

I always backup the ROM and include boot and cache. Theoretically you should be able to restore this and come up running since you will reload your kernel (boot) and cache. I have been successful doing this, However, it is never a bad thing to wipe cache and dalvik as others have said. It only adds a few minutes to the first boot of the restored image.
  • neckchop likes this

#79 GillRigged

GillRigged

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Twitter:@GillRigged
  • LocationNW WI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx HD, Droid RAZR M

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm in TWRP v2.5.0.0 and looking at the Mount section and the only options I see are:

Unmount Data
Unmount Cache
Unmount SDCard

Use external SD Use internal SD

Mount USB Storage

I'm not seeing the option to mount Boot. Is this because I haven't wiped my phone? I am rooted and unlocked, deleted SS but haven't flashed over my stock 4.1.2 yet.

#80 jld

jld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Do you mean mount system? That's the one you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users