• Please log in to reply
985 replies to this topic

#581 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

There are indeed persistence settings for the Disk, at least there are in VMWare workstation. I don't know about Player. So that every time you power it down, it returns to the state it was before the last boot. That is easy enough to change. It's somewhere in the drive configuration, where you you configure the .vmdk file. I'm at work, so I don't have it here in front of me.

#582 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,508 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

There are indeed persistence settings for the Disk, at least there are in VMWare workstation. I don't know about Player. So that every time you power it down, it returns to the state it was before the last boot. That is easy enough to change. It's somewhere in the drive configuration, where you you configure the .vmdk file. I'm at work, so I don't have it here in front of me.

Easier just to move the share, though.  Once I get my VMWare WS reinstalled I'm going to throw my HoB dev environment back together (don't ask) and work on updating it a bit.  I might be able to automate some of this as part of the HoB so that all they have to do is install a new HoB into the Linux VM and just do a few steps manually.  But I'm a long way away from having that done.

• B.E.McAllister likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#583 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

actually, if you suspend your session and don't power down ubuntu, it will still be there - but

To expand on Sam's, your directory can be anywhere that you want within your file system.  You just need to remember to adjust the path in the code to read where you have it.

[share]
path = /tmp/share
available
= yes
valid users
= guest
read only
= yes
browsable
= yes
public = yes

Brilliant Sir!!!! I just tried the suspend thing and it works great (assuming you suspend from VM menu which I didn't the first time). 

• livinginkaos likes this
Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#584 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

To each his or her own... I like Red Hat because I've been using it since Red Hat 5. I know where everything is and how to configure it. I like using YUM. When I use a Debian based Linux, I get lost. It's amazing how different each *NIX is from one another. I consider myself an AIX expert and I can't stand Solaris or HP/UX. If you get used to one, it is very difficult to like another. LOL!

I can't help it if Red Hat sucks.  LMAO!   :D  (Seriously, I *HATE* Red Hat).  But yes, you are correct about that.  I was basing it on the fact that he's using an Ubuntu VM.

#585 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

To clarify, I meant Red Hat Linux version 5, not Red Hat Enterprise version 5! LOL! I'm ancient in Sys Admin years!

To each his or her own... I like Red Hat because I've been using it since Red Hat 5. I know where everything is and how to configure it. I like using YUM. When I use a Debian based Linux, I get lost. It's amazing how different each *NIX is from one another. I consider myself an AIX expert and I can't stand Solaris or HP/UX. If you get used to one, it is very difficult to like another. LOL!

#586 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yup, I completely agree with that.  There's nothing really wrong with RH.  I just don't personally like it.  I've been using Linux for 10+ years in one variety or another both for work and my own amusement.  I'm pretty comfortable with it.  And it's come a LONG ways since those early days.

#587 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

To clarify, I meant Red Hat Linux version 5, not Red Hat Enterprise version 5! LOL! I'm ancient in Sys Admin years!

HAHAHAH :)

#588 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Yup, I completely agree with that.  There's nothing really wrong with RH.  I just don't personally like it.  I've been using Linux for 10+ years in one variety or another both for work and my own amusement.  I'm pretty comfortable with it.  And it's come a LONG ways since those early days.

what when you had to punch those little cards and feed them back through a reader?!?

:D

• B.E.McAllister likes this
Posted Image

#589 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hey, you are onto something here. If you could built a lightweight Linux build on VMware (something like LiLi), with USB support and Samba pre-configured... You could have the Motorola utility pre-installed and run it right out of "rc.local" or something... then you could just distribute that whole thing, relatively small and tell everyone to run it on VMWare player... I LIKE IT!!!

Easier just to move the share, though.  Once I get my VMWare WS reinstalled I'm going to throw my HoB dev environment back together (don't ask) and work on updating it a bit.  I might be able to automate some of this as part of the HoB so that all they have to do is install a new HoB into the Linux VM and just do a few steps manually.  But I'm a long way away from having that done.

#590 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

what when you had to punch those little cards and feed them back through a reader?!?

I'm not that old.  But I have experience with PDP-11, Vax, VMS, IBM unix on an rs6000..... :)

#591 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Hey, you are onto something here. If you could built a lightweight Linux build on VMware (something like LiLi), with USB support and Samba pre-configured... You could have the Motorola utility pre-installed and run it right out of "rc.local" or something... then you could just distribute that whole thing, relatively small and tell everyone to run it on VMWare player... I LIKE IT!!!

That's the idea. The House of Bionic is my utility that I wrote for handling FXZ related stuff on the Bionic.  I could incorporate root into that and walk them through the process of using a pre-configured samba share.  Run the ifconfig for them so they can see the IP, give them the default pwd's for the samba share, tell them how to connect to it from the Bionic and check that it's actually connected, etc. I thought John Galt was going to do this but I don't think he has time right now.  If I get some time this weekend I'll see what I can do.  But the Linux House of Bionic needs some attention.  I may bring it back to basics like I did for the windows version and remove some extra functionality that's not needed to simplify things. I may even see if I can get the updated linux code from the RAZR guys that allows a webtop flash on 32 bit Linux and then we can kill a whole bunch of problems with one stone.

• hadeshorn9 and matjmonk like this

#592 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

That's the idea. The House of Bionic is my utility that I wrote for handling FXZ related stuff on the Bionic.  I could incorporate root into that and walk them through the process of using a pre-configured samba share.  Run the ifconfig for them so they can see the IP, give them the default pwd's for the samba share, tell them how to connect to it from the Bionic and check that it's actually connected, etc. I thought John Galt was going to do this but I don't think he has time right now.  If I get some time this weekend I'll see what I can do.  But the Linux House of Bionic needs some attention.  I may bring it back to basics like I did for the windows version and remove some extra functionality that's not needed to simplify things. I may even see if I can get the updated linux code from the RAZR guys that allows a webtop flash on 32 bit Linux and then we can kill a whole bunch of problems with one stone.

But wouldn't this move away from you goal of teaching the "users" how to fish rather then buying them the fish?

Posted Image

#593 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

But wouldn't this move away from you goal of teaching the "users" how to fish rather then buying them the fish?

Yes, but, the difference is that right now we're having to teach them a lot more than just fishing.  Teaching how to setup and configure an entire OS that they're not used to is beyond the scope of learning about their Android phone.  More or less. Linux and Android are cousins so one could argue the experience is valid, but, the simple fact is enough people are having problems with it that we need a solution that works for people.  For those that want to learn how to fish, I can publish directions on how to create the VM that I'll be making.

• matjmonk likes this

#594 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Yes, but, the difference is that right now we're having to teach them a lot more than just fishing.  Teaching how to setup and configure an entire OS that they're not used to is beyond the scope of learning about their Android phone.  More or less. Linux and Android are cousins so one could argue the experience is valid, but, the simple fact is enough people are having problems with it that we need a solution that works for people.  For those that want to learn how to fish, I can publish directions on how to create the VM that I'll be making.

You're absolutely right, it would be a lot of help to most folks since so many are having problems getting root on JB (probably save you a few headaches also!).

• SamuriHL likes this
Posted Image

#595 JustAGuy

JustAGuy

This is only a test

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Z300M, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

I did in college. 

Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Samsung GS3, Bionic, OG Droid, SCH-i760, a flip phone or two, and a few others.

#596 Bionic5ohh

Bionic5ohh

Mr Hot Rod Lincoln

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Twitter:LSC5ohh
  • Current Device(s):Waiting on Nexus 5

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Pledged amount donated yesterday! Thanks much Dan, you didn't have to do what you did and I really hope people appreciate it. I also hope they take the advice of unlockable phones only in the future! I know that I'll certainly be going that route myself, even if it means a carrier change

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  • SamuriHL and livinginkaos like this

sigb5oh_zps165aa608.jpg

#597 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Current Device(s):droid bionic

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

im running ubuntu 13. got as far as setting up the samba share. when i try to connect storage in the files app and enter all the info i get one of two messages. one stating the info is incorrect, and a majority of the time the phones tells me "there is a problem in the network with the remote host. please repair your network connection and try again" should i just restart the process over and see if i can connect?

#598 NDiggity

NDiggity

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

im running ubuntu 13. got as far as setting up the samba share. when i try to connect storage in the files app and enter all the info i get one of two messages. one stating the info is incorrect, and a majority of the time the phones tells me "there is a problem in the network with the remote host. please repair your network connection and try again" should i just restart the process over and see if i can connect?

Having the same problem...

#599 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,508 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I just upgraded to 13 but I've not tested whether it works.  I won't have time tonight I'm afraid.

• moto32 likes this

#600 BoognishMike

BoognishMike

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hey all,

First off, big ups to this exploit.

I'm having an issue with superuser.  I get a pop up wanting to update the Superuser binaries:

Hit "install" (recovery install gives the same result) and I get this:

"There was an error install Superuser. Please send a log of the error to the developer"

Any thoughts?   I've looked in Google Play and the issues is addressed by recovering from a .zip file.  I have no idea how to go about that / what it will do.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm not a Linux expert, but I've been using some distro or another for a long time and i'm not afraid of command line stuff.  Android rooting and whatnot are out of my wheelhouse but i'm trying to learn as quickly as possible.  

The main thing I want to accomplish is to take advantage of the entitlement exploit to get my unlimited data tethering back!

Thanks all,

Mike

Did you wait for the phone to quit vibrating before continuing on?  If not, try running the exploit again and wait for the vibration to stop.

Like a complete noob d-bag I posted before CAREFULLY reading ALL other posts.  Thank you to those whose input helped me out.

Indeed uninstalling Superuser, then re-running the exploit worked.  I don't know if the phone would stop vibrating as after about 15 seconds of pulsing vibrations it would stop for about 15 seconds and start again.. I just waited for a few cycles then hit enter and boom.  Rooted.  Thank you so much for this exploit.  I got the entitlement exploit hacked and I'm back to tethered with unlimited 4G.  So happy right now!

• SamuriHL, matjmonk, B.E.McAllister and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users