Photo

[ROOT] Motoshare 2: Old Bug, New Exploit

• Please log in to reply
985 replies to this topic

#601 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

im running ubuntu 13. got as far as setting up the samba share. when i try to connect storage in the files app and enter all the info i get one of two messages. one stating the info is incorrect, and a majority of the time the phones tells me "there is a problem in the network with the remote host. please repair your network connection and try again" should i just restart the process over and see if i can connect?

The first question that jumps to my mind is how are you running ubuntu?  Though VM? 

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#602 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Current Device(s):droid bionic

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

so theres a possibility that it could be the version? which would be the best one to use 12.04? i've seen a lot of posts that people have had success with it. right now when i use ifconig, it shows my computers ip as 10.0.54.94 and when i click on the connected network on my phone it shows 10.0.54.78...i'm not very familiar with networking but i would assume this is a problem. i'm connected to a public network at the apartment complex i live in...any steps i can take to rectify the problem besides trying an older version of ubuntu?? thanks for you time and help!

#603 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

The first question that jumps to my mind is how are you running ubuntu?  Though VM? 

oh! i knew i forgot something! i'm running off a usb stick. couldnt get a dvd to work but i think my problem there was a bad iso file

#604 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

so theres a possibility that it could be the version? which would be the best one to use 12.04? i've seen a lot of posts that people have had success with it. right now when i use ifconig, it shows my computers ip as 10.0.54.94 and when i click on the connected network on my phone it shows 10.0.54.78...i'm not very familiar with networking but i would assume this is a problem. i'm connected to a public network at the apartment complex i live in...any steps i can take to rectify the problem besides trying an older version of ubuntu?? thanks for you time and help!

If you are running an a public network, there is a great chance that they have the ability blocked.  The IP addresses are OK, because the only value change is the last set.

• moto32 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#605 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

If you are running an a public network, there is a great chance that they have the ability blocked.  The IP addresses are OK, because the only value change is the last set.

ok i thought that might be the problem but still new to working with networks, even something minor like this but i'm gettin it. so it would probably be easiest to get on a private network to get connected to samba? thanks for the quick reply much appreciated!

#606 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

ok i thought that might be the problem but still new to working with networks, even something minor like this but i'm gettin it. so it would probably be easiest to get on a private network to get connected to samba? thanks for the quick reply much appreciated!

Yeah, more than likely that is the culprit.  If they left it open, there would likely be lots of problems with people doing some not so nice things.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#607 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

I just upgraded to 13 but I've not tested whether it works.  I won't have time tonight I'm afraid.

i got all day. after i get my phone connected i'll report back an let you know how much success i have on 13

#608 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, more than likely that is the culprit.  If they left it open, there would likely be lots of problems with people doing some not so nice things.

ha! so my theory was correct. right on i'll see what i can do about getting on a private network an see how it goes then. Thanks again!

#609 NDiggity

NDiggity

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Having the same problem...

Doh! Typo in my manual entry of /etc/samba/smb.conf   -- now fixed and rooted!

Should have just copied and pasted...

mary45715's suggestions to ping the ubuntu installation from a PC in post #518 helped narrow down the problem to a non-working samba configuration

• livinginkaos likes this

#610 Erisdroid?

Erisdroid?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

I am having trouble connecting my phone to remote storage. I get the ip from the computer (it's hard wired to the router). I can see the phone and computer on the same router when I log into it. But the phone will not connect. Am I missing some thing?

host ip: 10.0.0.4 (that is the ip of the linux computer, is that correct?)

domain: WORKGROUP (does this get entered somewhere else? and does it matter?)

folder name: share

user: guest

password: ******

**edit** the restart command didn't work either, could this have something to do with it?

#611 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I am having trouble connecting my phone to remote storage. I get the ip from the computer (it's hard wired to the router). I can see the phone and computer on the same router when I log into it. But the phone will not connect. Am I missing some thing?

**edit** the restart command didn't work either, could this have something to do with it?

Yeah, if when you restarted the samba server it gave you an error, there is a problem.  Was that the first error you got?

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#612 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Just an FYI - Ubuntu 13.04 - I have tested through a VM and worked smoothly.  

• SamuriHL and moto32 like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#613 Erisdroid?

Erisdroid?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, if when you restarted the samba server it gave you an error, there is a problem.  Was that the first error you got?

restart: Unknown job: smbd

I am using Ubuntu 11 on a usb stick

Thank you

#614 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

So this command went without error ?

sudo apt-get install samba

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#615 medic

medic

It's not my blood....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGhent
  • Current Device(s):Bionic 16gb, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Okay, really n00b question.

When I run ifconfig in term, it spits out two different ip addie's.

When I run cmd in windows, again I get quite a few ip addies.

So which one do I use?

I typed so many numbers on my Bionic my fingers hurts. These fingers aren't made for, oh never mind...

I didn't use local host either.

Wadafuq just happened? Server wouldn't post anything, too busy!

Wooohoooo, Jelly Belly!

#616 JustAGuy

JustAGuy

This is only a test

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Z300M, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Okay, really n00b question.

When I run ifconfig in term, it spits out two different ip addie's.

When I run cmd in windows, again I get quite a few ip addies.

So which one do I use?

I typed so many numbers on my Bionic my fingers hurts. These fingers aren't made for, oh never mind...

Not 127.0.0.1

Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Samsung GS3, Bionic, OG Droid, SCH-i760, a flip phone or two, and a few others.

#617 mjs27541

mjs27541

I have no idea what's going on...

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD
  • Current Device(s):LG G2

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Mine wouldn't connect at first either. Are you running in a VM?

#618 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

...and root is restored! dbliss, ur a genius..another donation on it's way! samurai, thanks for your help in this forum and others, your time and effort is greatly appreciated! and thanks to livingkaos for help with diagnosing my problem connecting to samba. mad props dude!

• SamuriHL likes this

#619 moto32

moto32

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

...and root is restored! dbliss, ur a genius..another donation on it's way! samurai, thanks for your help in this forum and others, your time and effort is greatly appreciated! and thanks to livingkaos for help with diagnosing my problem connecting to samba. mad props dude!

#620 medic

medic

It's not my blood....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGhent
  • Current Device(s):Bionic 16gb, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Yes, 

Mine wouldn't connect at first either. Are you running in a VM?

vmware player from Kaos(the link was), and Ubuntu 12.04

Wooohoooo, Jelly Belly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users