Erisdroid?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

So this command went without error ?

sudo apt-get install samba

I just saw the error that is causing the issue.

update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/smbstatus.samba3 to provide /usr/bin/smbstatus (smbstatus) in auto mode.
start: Unknown job: smbd
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing samba (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

i'm going to try a newer version of ubuntu.

#622 medic

medic

It's not my blood....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGhent
  • Current Device(s):Bionic 16gb, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

user@ubuntu:/tmp/share$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0c:29:7c:23:97  
          inet addr:192.168.115.128  Bcast:192.168.115.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe7c:2397/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:33183 errors:1 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:17551 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:48620917 (48.6 MB)  TX bytes:980329 (980.3 KB)
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x1080 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:5404 (5.4 KB)  TX bytes:5404 (5.4 KB)

user@ubuntu:/tmp/share$ 

Wooohoooo, Jelly Belly!

#623 roadpizza73

roadpizza73

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Between this thread, tomsg123 vid, and my re-aquainting with Linux, I'm now a very happy re-rooted bionic owner. The part that gave me the most bugaboo was the whole 'Ensure your device is connected via Wifi.' thing. Connected to what, I asked. I assumed the Linux box, and since there's no home wifi net here, the saga began.

At one point I found an old router in my junk pile, but even after configuring it so that I could ping both directions between Linux box and Bionic, no cigar.

This evening I had both Linux box and my Bionic connected to my wife's Bionic's WiFi hotspot, and poof, all worked.

For some reason the script didn't put the files in the /tmp/share$ folder. In fact I had to actually create that folder, share, and copy the extracted files from /user/me to it.

It sure was fun getting myself back into Linux command-line mode, something I've not done for over 15 years. Now that I've seen how far Linux has come, I will be playing with it a lot more!

Now to get to the bank and move some donation$ around.

I never had as much appreciation for what root was for me until I had to do without for over a week, Phew, it's sure good to have an active usergroup and leadership such as here and HoB and several other places!

Now to go tweak on my 'other computer', the pocket one . . .

• livinginkaos likes this

#624 JustAGuy

JustAGuy

This is only a test

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Z300M, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

user@ubuntu:/tmp/share$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0c:29:7c:23:97  
          inet addr:192.168.115.128  Bcast:192.168.115.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe7c:2397/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:33183 errors:1 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:17551 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:48620917 (48.6 MB)  TX bytes:980329 (980.3 KB)
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x1080 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:5404 (5.4 KB)  TX bytes:5404 (5.4 KB)

user@ubuntu:/tmp/share$ 

Your IP would be 192.168.115.128. But check your LAN. I would guess that is NOT the correct IP for your LAN. If you are running a VM make sure "bridge" is set for your network connection type.

And in Ubuntu, you have DHCP set in the IP configuration.  

• medic and livinginkaos like this

Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Samsung GS3, Bionic, OG Droid, SCH-i760, a flip phone or two, and a few others.

#625 mjs27541

mjs27541

I have no idea what's going on...

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD
  • Current Device(s):LG G2

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I did mine on Ubuntu 12.10 in a VM.  Mine wouldn't connect to the samba share at first either.  I went through Dan's process step by step, and had over 300 system updates to install.  I allowed them to run while I set up the samba share, but when it came time to connect to the phone, my Bionic wouldn't connect, kept getting network error messages on the phone.  Tried restarting samba a couple times, no go.  Finally I figured  the update process might have changed something with samba, so I shut down my VM, restarted, started samba, and connected to the share on my Bionic without a problem.  If any of you running in a VM noticed a frack ton of updates to the OS when you first started, I'd recommend installing samba, then letting the updates install, then restart your VM, then proceed with setting up your samba share.  I'm by no means a linux expert, but hopefully if nothing else suggested above is helping, my simple little fix might save some headache and a lot of head scratching.

#626 medic

medic

It's not my blood....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGhent
  • Current Device(s):Bionic 16gb, Nexus 7

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

All done.

Didn't actually go through with it since I was already rooted, just wanted to play, you know, in case.... Zombies attack or something.

• matjmonk likes this

Wooohoooo, Jelly Belly!

#627 SirEagle

SirEagle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

I am using 32b liveCD, have fxe back to for a fresh start, twice, no love. only time i could actually connect with the remote storage was first time i ran this, now it just tells me it couldnt connect to host, and i need to repair network, Suck verizon.........just curious why GB and ICS both got 1-click roots on windows, and JB cant?

im running ubuntu 13. got as far as setting up the samba share. when i try to connect storage in the files app and enter all the info i get one of two messages. one stating the info is incorrect, and a majority of the time the phones tells me "there is a problem in the network with the remote host. please repair your network connection and try again" should i just restart the process over and see if i can connect?

Having the same problem...

I am having trouble connecting my phone to remote storage. I get the ip from the computer (it's hard wired to the router). I can see the phone and computer on the same router when I log into it. But the phone will not connect. Am I missing some thing?

host ip: 10.0.0.4 (that is the ip of the linux computer, is that correct?)

domain: WORKGROUP (does this get entered somewhere else? and does it matter?)

folder name: share

user: guest

password: ******

**edit** the restart command didn't work either, could this have something to do with it?

I had to run this command:

sudo apt-get update

After that samba was set up correctly and connected.

Droid Bionic - JB - Rooted

#628 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I am working on a how to video will post when I am done

Edit

Finished Video here 

Hope this helps some of the noobs out.

Many thanks for this video - root success!  I already subscribe to your YouTube channel.  This is incredibly helpful for us noobs, indeed!  SafeStrap video next :)

• SamuriHL and livinginkaos like this

#629 no_cannabis

no_cannabis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Worked like a charm on a VMbox Ubuntu 12.04 64bit for GSM RAZR (XT910) Canada Rogers.

#630 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

A million thanks for this, root success, just adjusted my entitlement check - very happy!  If this forum ran the united nations, there would be world peace!  Everyone is so willing to help each other and the amount of hours volunteered offering support and teaching us noobs is fantastic.  It's been a fun learning curve, a curve which would not exist without forums such as this, especially with this caliber of talent.  Thanks, again.

• SamuriHL, hadeshorn9, matjmonk and 2 others like this

#631 buffadroid

buffadroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Flawless! Nice Job!  Lost root after the upgrade to JB.  Lost my head and forgot to try to retain it with Rootkeeper. Was too excited to install JB I guess.  Anyway, this did the trick.  Had to run it twice, because realized I had an old superuser installed from previous root.  The new superuser wouldn't work, assuming from conflict.  In case others run into this too,  I simply uninstalled both superusers and ran exploit again. Voila! Perfection. Thank you!

#632 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA
  • Current Device(s):XT926 Razr Maxx HD, Xoom, Nexus 7 (car install)

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks again for this! It was my first experience using Ubuntu and I have to say after trying the live USB, I'm probably going to set up dual boot. It was fun to play with and a great learning experience.

I had the samba restart error, but was able to fight thru it. The bionic I rooted also has reboot tantrums, so I had to repeat sudo ./run.sh a few times. Not ideal, but it worked!

Now I'm not worried about updating my daily bionic and my fiancé's bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  • livinginkaos and cmh714 like this

#633 nine5raptor

nine5raptor

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMO
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic, Droid Razr M, Nexus 5, Moto X

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:34 AM

Well after 58 1/2 tries and lots of Cabernet sauvignon,  I made it through it and I am rooted!  Thanks for the help!  Had to borrow a router, learn VM ware and Ubuntu.  Quite the experience! A good challenge though!   :D   I made it harder on myself as I use easy tether.  Had to sort out the internet side of it as well as a Linksys router that wanted to connect to the internet, though I dont have home internet for it.  All in all a great learning experience!

Donation sent!

• Int_Rnd_Pooka and livinginkaos like this

#634 Erisdroid?

Erisdroid?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

I had to run this command:

sudo apt-get update

After that samba was set up correctly and connected.

After I ran that command, I still get an error. I am not running VM, I am running 11.10 off a USB stick (maybe thats the issue, maybe it's the computer, maybe it's the user). This is the error;

Setting up samba (2:3.5.11~dfsg-1ubuntu2.3) ...
start: Unknown job: smbd
invoke-rc.d: initscript smbd, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing samba (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              Errors were encountered while processing:
 samba
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

#635 dipenptl

dipenptl

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

I have been trying but I am keep getting error on the phone while adding the remore server. It can't establish the connection. ( I am using 64bit Ubuntu on Parallel)

XT910

#636 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Well after 58 1/2 tries and lots of Cabernet sauvignon,  I made it through it and I am rooted!  Thanks for the help!  Had to borrow a router, learn VM ware and Ubuntu.  Quite the experience! A good challenge though!   :D   I made it harder on myself as I use easy tether.  Had to sort out the internet side of it as well as a Linksys router that wanted to connect to the internet, though I dont have home internet for it.  All in all a great learning experience!

Donation sent!

I honestly believe it's the cabernet that got you back on track. It's hard to go wrong with wine involved

#637 nine5raptor

nine5raptor

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

I honestly believe it's the cabernet that got you back on track. It's hard to go wrong with wine involved

For sure.  1.5L of improved intelligence all in a nice handy carrying case.   For reference, I used 12.04 installed in VM ware.  Set my easytether up in ubuntu and did a cord dance to get all of connections correct at the correct times.

#638 nine5raptor

nine5raptor

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMO

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I have been trying but I am keep getting error on the phone while adding the remore server. It can't establish the connection. ( I am using 64bit Ubuntu on Parallel)

XT910

Try 32 bit.  Also double check your inet address just before setting your remote storage.  Mine changed with each time I went through the process.  Also, once it connects, ensure you see the files in the remote storage (look from phone side).

#639 smalldroid34

smalldroid34

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Current Device(s):bionic

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

sorry meant to post yesterday but, had to work a double. After posting my next attempt was successful. Am now rooted, thank you much donations sent. So fro any one else still having trouble, it seems when you install Sanba if this does not go on flawlessly you need to start over, I was using unbutu from a disk. I noticed sometimes installing samba would generate 2 errors or would generate a lot of errors, but samba needs to install flawless before moving foward or your just wasting time. I also noticed when i would get to the step of restarting samba i would get unknown job, so when i finally got samba perfect I skipped this step, and everything worked. Also when the exploit was going it vibrated for a while, when i got the exploit working i didnt want to jump the gun, so i went and took a shower, came back little while later, rebooted to a rooted bionic. Thanks guys, your guys hard work makes my bionic awesome and not just something I have to remember before leaving the house. Thank you much!!!

• B.E.McAllister likes this
Stock-Eclipsed/S1-Wizzed/S2-Synergized/S3-Blurred

#640 hadeshorn9

hadeshorn9

Moot Minion

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationBoston MA area
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64gb, Dell Venue 8, Chromecast

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

XT910

Someone posted earlier how to use the locally built in shares on a MAC since that is what you are on try  doing it to the MAC's local sharing.

or try using a 32bit version of ubuntu, less dependencies. Also remember that you have to make sure the phone is connected to the virtual machine and not the MAC. Also mac sure the network mode of the VM is bridged not NAT.

Hope this helps some.

OG -> Bionic -> (2013) Moto X DE -> Nexus 6 64gb Running 5.1 via Samuri's HoN 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users