Photo

[ROOT] Motoshare 2: Old Bug, New Exploit

• Please log in to reply
985 replies to this topic

#661 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

At what point is the update crashing and what is the error shown?

You should be able to use the HoB keep data and update from there .

pretty much right after it boots to recovery and starts. its not putting out any type of log so I couldn't say exactly at which part, but maybe about 1/3 of the way through the update I get the broken android/red triangle.

How did you remove Safestrap?

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#662 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Marty, couldn't you just FXZ and rewrite your system.img to test?

#663 lemonoid

lemonoid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@DoseOfAndroid
  • LocationBoone, NC
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Incredible 2, X2, NS4G,

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

How did you remove Safestrap?

well i uninstalled it from inside the app, then uninstalled the app after wiping its data, or checking if it had data to be wiped (i don't remember) i didn't wanna risk leaving any of its data on.

#664 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, open the app and uninstall the safestrap function from inside the app. You don't have to necessarily remove the app itself, but it won't hurt. Especially if you already have a copy to install after you root

#665 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

Yeah, open the app and uninstall the safestrap function from inside the app. You don't have to necessarily remove the app itself, but it won't hurt. Especially if you already have a copy to install after you root

#666 donabey

donabey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:donabey
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

Excellent......this worked on my bionic after i lost root with the JB update. Some forums make it complicated even though this is a simple method. The easiest way is to download ubuntu and use windows image burner or i used roxio to burn it on to a dvd and boot ur computer from that dvd. Open a terminal and enter the commands, hook ur phone to the computer and walah....you got root on 4.1.2!!!! Excellent job Dan!

• livinginkaos likes this

#667 cervri

cervri

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

This mornig I decided to try this. Made the live CD and proceeded. On the very first command "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" I get " E: Unable to locate package ia32-libs". I do not have an E drive right now...My CD drive is D:....What am I doing wrong?

#668 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

This mornig I decided to try this. Made the live CD and proceeded. On the very first command "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" I get " E: Unable to locate package ia32-libs". I do not have an E drive right now...My CD drive is D:....What am I doing wrong?

If you downloaded the 32 bit version, you can skip that command
  • Int_Rnd_Pooka likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#669 cervri

cervri

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

If you downloaded the 32 bit version, you can skip that command

OK, thank you, I will give that a try..I did download the 32 bit version 12.04 LTS.

#670 cervri

cervri

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:51 AM

OK, thank you, I will give that a try..I did download the 32 bit version 12.04 LTS.

I think I will wait awhile and see how this thread go's. On the Samba install here is what I get..

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mkdir /tmp/share
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 samba : Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed
         Depends: libwbclient0 (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed
         Recommends: tdb-tools but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

#671 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

I think I will wait awhile and see how this thread go's. On the Samba install here is what I get..

Building dependency tree

samba : Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed

Depends: libwbclient0 (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed

Perform the updates on ubuntu and try again.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#672 cervri

cervri

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Perform the updates on ubuntu and try again.

There were 180+ updates available, I am runnig the liveCD...Know nothing about ubuntu os....

#673 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Building dependency tree       

670 comments almost entirely relevant to the subject matter is a pretty good indicator of how this thread is gonna go

#674 tupz

tupz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Worked flawlessly on my Mom's Bionic. <3 free tethering. Thanks man

EDIT:  I ran into the issue that others had of Superuser not being able to install/update the binary. I couldn't figure it out, but here's one method I did that finally worked. Share username/pw etc doesn't matter, as long as it's a samba mounted share & an rfs# mount(and set correctly in run.sh). I ran run.sh...it pushed some files & rebooted...once the reboot was complete...it kept vibrating & vibrating for about 3-4minutes. i went back into the remote storage mount in Files app & let it continue to vibrate. Once it finally stopped. I pointlessly(yes this isn't needed) manually clicked on/installed Superuser.apk. I did that & finally hit enter one more time at the cmd prompt so it could reboot my phone once more. After that started up (it was unplugged after this 2nd reboot). I went back into Superuser.apk & everything was working fine. Before when it failed, I had been rebooting a 2nd time(hit the enter to reboot) before the vibrating had stopped, which seemed to be my issue.

I just thought the constant vibrating was a bug b/c the O.P. said something about 'a vibrate' (not constant) or something. Wrong or not that was my issue it seems.

#675 steanne

steanne

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

i had the same unmet dependencies problem, so i popped open firefox and searched for the error.   i followed along

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

:

sudo apt-get purge samba-common

sudo apt-get purge libwbclient0 -y

sudo apt-get install samba -y

...and it worked from that point.

donated.  ...and so happy to have my

back.

• SamuriHL and livinginkaos like this

#676 bukhacow

bukhacow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

I am working on a how to video will post when I am done

Edit

Finished Video here 

Hope this helps some of the noobs out.

hello thanks so much for helping me with this solution. i followed all of your steps. after rebooting, my phone stays on the "red spinning eye" symbol after the motorola M sign appears. any idea why that would be?

#677 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

Success on my first try.

Has anyone posted an image for a bootable usb key?  I can make one of mine and post it if would help.

-Rap

#678 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think someone did a page or 2 back.  I've not had time to do anything this weekend.  Spent most of it fighting with my lawn tractor.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#679 Rapitharian

Rapitharian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

SamuriHL,

If I give you a link to an image can we add it to the opening page?  I will also provide instrutions and helpful tips.

I just want to give back some to this awesome group.

-Rap

#680 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

Create a post with the link and all the info and I'll add a link to the post in the OP.

Non potest esse nisi unus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users