Photo

Verizon Will End Unlimited Data Grandfathering If You Buy A 4G Phone From This Summer Onward

verizon 4g unlimited

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationIowa. Close to the University of Iowa.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

I am sure VZW will take a look at all the people who have been grandfather in for the unlimited data before 4g was released to the public, and see how many customers might leave VZW. Also, I am sure the other carriers will off plans to pull VZW customers. I would almost leave VZW if I lost my unlimited data. All I have for internet. Cannot afford Mediacom. Its around $100 a month for internet and cable. You have to bundle or it will cost more.

I have Moto Razr....I will cut you.
To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#42 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

I been with them since 2005. I love there service and phones.

To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#43 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Thank you grammar police, I'm sure you've made a grammatical error before.

Yep.

#44 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

Unlimited data plans are a thing of the past. Within 2 years, they will be gone. Any remaining competitors will follow Verizon's lead.

#45 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm hoping this doesn't apply to corporate discounts. I get unlimited without being grandfathered and only costs $20/month.

#46 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

It had to happen...abuse of data and increasing competition to add more customers to fewer data towers and receivers ....I don't want to lose mine but its really no big deal as between the fiance and I we use 1-2 gb a month average and a max of 3-4 occasionally...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#47 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

It had to happen...abuse of data and increasing competition to add more customers to fewer data towers and receivers ....I don't want to lose mine but its really no big deal as between the fiance and I we use 1-2 gb a month average and a max of 3-4 occasionally...

Its not that at all. Verizon is just greedy and found a way to make more money.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#48 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

I do about 15 to 20. I use it for everything. Forum reading to school work to streaming to downloading. Games apps ect. I might call but I will be telling myself that they know of nothing.

#49 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

They better lower the prices then or give more. With my data and 450 min with unlimited text and pic. Its $84 a month. Just myself. That's with my military discount too.

• joeyx2 likes this

#50 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I do about 15 to 20. I use it for everything. Forum reading to school work to streaming to downloading. Games apps ect. I might call but I will be telling myself that they know of nothing.

In my opinion, this is why they are getting rid of unlimited data plans.

#51 oliohh

oliohh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

I use between 5 and 12 gigs every month. My wife uses a bit less and the three kids phones have no data plan. This is going to cost a fortune unless the family shared plan is 50 gigs per month for $80 or less. Might as well just have an iPod or something that only uses wifi, except that kind of defeats the purpose of having these things. I dont intend to pay more for a stupid phone than my car.

how the hell do u manage 12 gigs a month?

#52 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

In my opinion, this is why they are getting rid of unlimited data plans.

You are exactly right.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#53 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Its not that at all. Verizon is just greedy and found a way to make more money

That's part of it I'm sure... but the bottom line is we don't" need" there phones or service, I will switch if they get anymore expensive... and LTE isn't all that IMO... I can't use it anyway between the spotty coverage and battery drain.... oh did I mention the dropped data and outages? I won't miss it much....

#54 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

I have been thinking about getting an Asus 700t when they come out to use with my Razr Maxx unlimited data and unlimited tethering plan. I will now have to rethink that plan. One possibility would be to switch to a Verizon feature phone with no data and get a 4G tablet from whoever has the best data plan available at the time. I want to keep Verizon for my phone because of the coverage and all my friends and family are on Verizon.

#55 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

I'm hoping they leave the unlimited tethering plan alone. I use it for my home internet connection. Cheapest high-speed solution available at $24 a month. It's about 3 times faster than my road runner i was paying $50 a month for.

#56 joshuahist

joshuahist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Twitter:joshuahist
  • Google+:joshuahist
  • LocationPhiladelphia Pa

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

how the hell do u manage 12 gigs a month?

I use a ton too. Netflix is a ton of data and I use it for at least an hour at the gym everyday.

If we have already upgraded, does this mean that when my contract runs out in about a year and a half and I go to get a new phone, will I lose the unlimited data? I don't think that the article was clear on that.

#57 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

I use a ton too. Netflix is a ton of data and I use it for at least an hour at the gym everyday.

If we have already upgraded, does this mean that when my contract runs out in about a year and a half and I go to get a new phone, will I lose the unlimited data? I don't think that the article was clear on that.

This could be open to interpretation.

"LTE is our anchor point for data share, so as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto the data share plan, moving away from the unlimited world,"

So if you are currently have an unlimited 3g phone purchase a 4g phone from ebay, Craigslist, etc , now and don't wait for upgrade date. On my other line I had Droid incredible for my wife and bought her used Droid charge and made the switch no problems and kept unlimited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#58 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Check this out.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#59 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Nobody knows for sure what this means, but here's my interpretation. Sometime within the next few months, Verizon will announce no more new unlimited data plans. At the same time, they will announce all existing unlimited data plans, 3G or 4G, will terminate at the end of their current 2 year contract. At that time, they will revert to a tiered plan. My advice is for anyone with unlimited 3G, you better upgrade to unlimited 4G while you can. You will probably be locked into unlimited 4G for 2 years. That's my guess FWIW.

#60 joshuahist

joshuahist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Twitter:joshuahist
  • Google+:joshuahist
  • LocationPhiladelphia Pa

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

This could be open to interpretation.

"LTE is our anchor point for data share, so as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto the data share plan, moving away from the unlimited world,"

So if you are currently have an unlimited 3g phone purchase a 4g phone from ebay, Craigslist, etc , now and don't wait for upgrade date. On my other line I had Droid incredible for my wife and bought her used Droid charge and made the switch no problems and kept unlimited.

I just upgraded last month, but my next upgrade date is 10/12/13. When that date comes I will already have a Razr Maxx so I will not be upgrading from a 3G phone to a 4G LTE phone. I will still be upgrading to a 4G LTE phone though!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users