#301 LauraSakura

LauraSakura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Twitter:laurasakura
  • LocationYoungstown, OH

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Why is it there are so many problems side loading it?

Shouldn't be problems if you do it correctly. Biggest thing is to be purely on stock with no remnants of bootstrap, safestrap, etc.
CDMA RAZR MAXX - Running Android 4.1.1 JB - CM10 Unofficial Alpha

#302 Techno

Techno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

How do I get rid of Safe Strap with out wiping my phone? If I have to wipe the phone to get rid of it so I can take the OTA, then why not just wipe it and side load it?
I brew the beer I drink.

#303 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

How do I get rid of Safe Strap with out wiping my phone? If I have to wipe the phone to get rid of it so I can take the OTA, then why not just wipe it and side load it?

You can't :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#304 Techno

Techno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Well, Crapsticks. If Safe Strap will keep me from getting the OTA, then might as well load it now... I am doomed to lose my data either way!
I brew the beer I drink.

#305 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Well, Crapsticks. If Safe Strap will keep me from getting the OTA, then might as well load it now... I am doomed to lose my data either way!

Exactly! Join the party!

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#306 zllibengood

zllibengood

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationsioux falls, sd
  • Current Device(s):RAZR

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

oh well, it's good to just clean house every now and then anyway, right? :)
-Z

#307 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Probably too late, but yes you will lose your data, however you could do the following.
1. Make a backup of your safe ROM (assuming that's where the data you want to save is)
2. Fastboot back to a clean .181 system.
3. Boot and setup your clean .181.
4. Root it.
4. Download appextractor from the market and use it to restore your apps and data while still on Gingerbread.
5. Flash the .211 update through the /cache method or flash ICS recovery and do it from the sdcard.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

#308 BIG CAT #7

BIG CAT #7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

I just sideloaded ICS today and it is Glorious!!!!!!

#309 Techno

Techno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

I just uninstalled Safe Strap as instructed by this link:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Now I am just a completly stock .181 rooted device! No loss of data next week for me!
I brew the beer I drink.

#310 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

Now I am just a completly stock .181 rooted device! No loss of data next week for me!

What, you dont like seeing blue to white, white to blue signal bar/4G color changes? Lol.

#311 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

I fear that you will be disappointed.
If you have used the safe side of safestrap you have overwritten your preinstall folder. The update verifies this folder prior to installing and will fail if the folder is not in a stock state. You can fastboot the preinstall from the .181 FXZ and then you should be good.

#312 Techno

Techno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I never actually used the safe side. I only got my phone last week, and was preparing to flash some stuff to it, but didn't actually do it. If I fastboot the preinstall, will that wipe my current data? Is it all or nothing with the fastboot? We will see. If it fails, then I will jump in with both feet!
I brew the beer I drink.

#313 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:03 AM

I never actually used the safe side. I only got my phone last week, and was preparing to flash some stuff to it, but didn't actually do it. If I fastboot the preinstall, will that wipe my current data? Is it all or nothing with the fastboot? We will see. If it fails, then I will jump in with both feet!

Well, if you never actually changed mode to the safe side, you may be OK. One easy way to find out is to download the .211 update and use the /cache method to try and install it. If it succeeds, you will be a few days ahead of the official OTA and all will be good. If it fails you know you will need to fastboot before you will be able to accept the OTA.

The /cache method is defined

. You'll just use the 6.16.211 file instead of the 6.14.79. You will need to be rooted, have a root file explorer (the post uses ES File Explorer, but any root capable one will do.) and ROM Manager Free. Not sure it will work if you have the paid version or not. If you protect root with VooDoo while still on .181 you should be able to restore root once the update is finished.
  • Techno likes this

#314 zllibengood

zllibengood

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationsioux falls, sd
  • Current Device(s):RAZR

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

OK, just to clarify. I am completely stock 181 besides the fact that I am rooted and have razr bootstrapper installed. I have not changed anything on my phone except hot spot access. So just un installing razr boostrapper and protecting root isn't enough to get the ota? I have to fast boot back to what I already am?
-Z

#315 Techno

Techno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Well, if you never actually changed mode to the safe side, you may be OK. One easy way to find out is to download the .211 update and use the /cache method to try and install it. If it succeeds, you will be a few days ahead of the official OTA and all will be good. If it fails you know you will need to fastboot before you will be able to accept the OTA.

The /cache method is defined

. You'll just use the 6.16.211 file instead of the 6.14.79. You will need to be rooted, have a root file explorer (the post uses ES File Explorer, but any root capable one will do.) and ROM Manager Free. Not sure it will work if you have the paid version or not. If you protect root with VooDoo while still on .181 you should be able to restore root once the update is finished.

Whoo Whoo! You Da Man! I just loaded .211 via the cache method you advised, and it worked like a charm! I have all of my data, (texts, apps, etc.), and i am now on .211! Thanks a TON.

Techno!
I brew the beer I drink.

#316 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

OK, just to clarify. I am completely stock 181 besides the fact that I am rooted and have razr bootstrapper installed. I have not changed anything on my phone except hot spot access. So just un installing razr boostrapper and protecting root isn't enough to get the ota? I have to fast boot back to what I already am?

Uninstalling the bootstrap app is not enough. There is a way to remove the traces that it leaves behind and that might be enough to get the update to take without fastbooting back to a clean .181. They're threads about it here and on xda. Try a search. On my phone right now or I'd try to link you.

#317 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Whoo Whoo! You Da Man! I just loaded .211 via the cache method you advised, and it worked like a charm! I have all of my data, (texts, apps, etc.), and i am now on .211! Thanks a TON.

Techno!

Glad it worked for you.

#318 p0k3y

p0k3y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Techno!

Where do you get the zip and crc file for 211? I see the zip in other threads, such as Matt's 1.7 method

. Is that the one to use? What about the crc file?

Also do you have root after the flash? Or did you have to use the Unstuck utility to gain root?

Thanks.

#319 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Where do you get the zip and crc file for 211? I see the zip in other threads, such as Matt's 1.7 method

. Is that the one to use? What about the crc file?

Also do you have root after the flash? Or did you have to use the Unstuck utility to gain root?

Thanks.

That's the one you use. The crc isn't needed. And you just use the root method in Matts 1.7

#320 p0k3y

p0k3y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

That's the one you use. The crc isn't needed. And you just use the root method in Matts 1.7

Thanks. Wonder why this method isn't more widely published for 211. It seems easier and more fail-proof than the others out there, including matt's 1.7... I might take the plunge finally. Been debating if i should just wait for the OTA. With my luck, OTA will hit my phone as soon as I am done debating and flashing... :)

One more question - does the zip file needs to be renamed, or it's good to go as is - Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soak test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users