• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Twitter:@FastKatt
  • Google+:FastKatt
  • Location37312
  • Current Device(s):D1, DX, Bionic, D4, RazrMaxx, Note2

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thanks! But, I'm note sure I care enough to go threw all that... lol
I am able to make due without seeing the External SD Card.
Maybe I'll do this once I update to the OTA Update for JB.

JUST AN UPDATE:
Well, I got v.2.11 working. Still not sure what I did differently but here are the steps:
Uninstalled everything.
Unrooted.
Formatted SD and internal SD.
Checked both for errors using check disk in Windows.
Did a factory reset from within the phone and let it reboot to the OS.
Went into factory recovery and wiped data and cache after a clean boot.
Started up the phone and 2.11 works and I was able to format /system and install a custom ROM.

3.11 still will not see the SD card though.

Finally got 3.11 working. Not sure what I did differently but I followed cole2kb's step but restarted in between uninstall and install. Working like a champ now.

Me: Motorola RazrMaxx - Rooted | Wife: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Stock | Son: Motorola Droid 4 - Rooted | Daughter: Motorola Bionic - Stock | Spare Rooted Phones: LG Vortex & 3 Droid 1s

#742 Eusibius2

Eusibius2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hi - asking for a little help here, too. I'm on the JB OTA, CDMA Razr Maxx - 98.72.16.xt912. I've recently installed SS 3.11, going through all the instructions. SS says:
  • Recovery State: Installed
  • Safe System: Not Active
When I reboot, I click the menu button and I see a quick blurb on a black screen:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

... goes to black screen for about 10 seconds, then reboots normally. Can't seem to get SS to start. Am I missing something here? The install looks very straightforward (yes, I clicked Install Recovery, which didn't work. Tried Uninstall Recovery / reboot / Install Recovery and it still doesn't work). Hmph... Any help / suggestions here?

#743 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

If you see safe system not active right when you first boot it, you have it installed correctly. That simply means you're booting to the stock rom. When you see that safestrap pic, you press menu to enter recovery or search to continue booting. If you don't do anything in 10 seconds it continues to boot normally. To enable safestrap, press menu to enter recovery, set up a slot, activate it, then flash a rom and reboot. When you reboot it will then say safestrap enabled and will boot to the rom you installed. You can create up to 4 slots for 4 different roms in safestrap. The number of slots you can create depends on the size you make them. Which ever slot is activated is the one that you will be flashing. If you choose to wipe data, dalvik cache, flash a rom or whatever, it will be done on the slot that's currently active.

Don't mess with the stock slot. Leave it as is. You're supposed to be able to flash to it in 311 but it doesn't work. You can create a backup of it and restore it ok but flashing a rom to it will just cause problems. The safe side is your playground. Don't mess with the stock side. ;)

#744 Eusibius2

Eusibius2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

If you see safe system not active right when you first boot it, you have it installed correctly. That simply means you're booting to the stock rom. When you see that safestrap pic, you press menu to enter recovery or search to continue booting.

<snip> ;)

That's what I thought, but I'm not seeing the safestrap pic after rebooting. I don't even know what it looks like. So, sounds like I installed correctly, but it's not working properly. Huh? Now what?

#745 punkchunkz

punkchunkz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Having issues with Safestrap 3.11. I uninstalled SS3.11, backed up root with VooDoo OTA, deleted my old SS backups and folders, downloaded and installed the OTA. After the OTA was done installing, I wasn't able to get root right away so I used the Razr Blade exploit to get it back, when I go to open Safestrap it gains root permissions and then force closes, tried redownloading it from both the phone and my computer and it keeps doing it. Any advice?

#746 blackops1125

blackops1125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Rooted Avaitor Rom

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

So many problems people have with Razr & safestrap 3.11, and still no word out of Hashcode. From sd card not mounting to black screens when trying to restore a backup. I have been on many different forums all with people with same types of problems. Still no reply from Hashcode. Hate to say this people I dont think he cares for us Razr users anymore!

#747 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Well, all I can say about that is user error of some type or some app they have installed causing problems. I've been using the touch version of safestrap since he released it and have never had a problem of any sort other than self inflicted ones such as forgetting I was on the wrong kernel for a rom I flashed or some such thing. That's easily fixed though.

I'm convinced that a lot of the problems are because people don't bother to read. They download it, install it, then proceed to install a rom that needs to be on slot one to slot two or whatever. That will give you a black screen or boot loop when you boot it. As for restoring backups, most of those that I've seen that have failed involve the stock slot. In those cases the person usually made the backup while root was still protected by Voodoo. You only need to read through one of the threads about the root exploit for Jelly Bean to see that a lot of people don't read. Those threads are full of people wanting to know why they can't get it to work on their Razr M, I or HD. My gosh, it says right in the OP that it won't work for those phones. Then those same people also ran the utility and one of the first things you see in it (if you bother to read before jumping right into trying to run it is pretty much same thing as in the OP. "This will not work on........."

The sdcard thing is usually caused by something being wrong with it. Formatting it usually fixes it. Mine did that on the old safestrap once and I just ran chkdsk on it in windows. It found and fixed errors and the card was visible again.

We all have the same hardware and all have the same software running on that hardware. Why is it that some like me don't have any trouble at all? Why is it that others can't get things to work? Most of the time when somebody posts about a problem (seems like it anyway), the person neglected to something that needs to be done and was stated in the OP of whatever thread is involved. If it's not something like that, how about all the different computers being used? Most are on Windows but they are not all the same hardware, software, etc. Are drivers installed correctly? Who knows. But, there's been quite a few posts by people having problems and once they tried using another PC, things went fine for them.

Like I said, we all have the same hardware, same software on our phones. At least to start with. Rather than blame Hashcode, I think people should take the time to look at who's most likely the problem and try doing something about it. It's called READ.
  • Memnoch73 and cmh714 like this

#748 FastKatt

FastKatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Location37312

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Well, all I can say about that is user error of some type or some app they have installed causing problems. [SNIP] It's called READ.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like an rear end in this post...

Some, not all, of the problems can be tracked to user error.
Some of them are related to one of the many phones being hacked...
We don't all "start with the same hardware", All our phones run on different hardware...
We don't all "stare with the same software", Android is a very fragmented OS!

Take a couple deep breaths & lower your caffeine intake, for a while.

Now, for the user errors,...
Some people can only learn by trial & error, they are just coded that way.
If you don't like pointing people in the right direction, when you see their error... Just sit back & laugh to yourself while they struggle.
One of the reasons people choose Android over iOS is the community. Try being part of it and not the exception.
Thanks!
  • blackops1125 and ezas like this
Me: Motorola RazrMaxx - Rooted | Wife: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Stock | Son: Motorola Droid 4 - Rooted | Daughter: Motorola Bionic - Stock | Spare Rooted Phones: LG Vortex & 3 Droid 1s

#749 blackops1125

blackops1125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have 2 Razrs, mine and my wifes that I rooted and installed safestrap 3.11(i have been using safestrap since 2.05 I do believe, I know i still have a copy of 2.11), Safestrap works fine on her phone( you can actually select sd card or internal card), But on my phone it does not, I can not select sd card as a backup location. And if I try to restore a backup i just made in rom slot1 I end up with a blackscreen. Only way to get the backup to work is to first delete rom slot1 and re-make it. I have tried un-installing reinstalling, among other things. I have read many forums from xda, to android central to droidrzr.com to droidrazr.com and yes even on hashcode site. I do have accounts with all of them. But the thing that remains the same no matter what forum you read are the problems and no replys from the dev to made it. But thankfully to some members on these forums (all previously mention) have some good inputs that do help or some work arounds that get you the results you need. Yes some problems are user error but others are not! Now this does not mean the dev is to blame either, It just means as the person that made it has the most know how and maybe some answers to the questions people ask.

#750 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have updated both a xt912 and xt926 with keeping root and using safe strap with no problems. There will be bugs when new updates roll out. Running a logcat helps and sending it to Hashcode. If you don't no how to run one Google it. If you are the one having the issues when running a log , pm me the log and I will look at it and personally give it to Hash.

#751 punkchunkz

punkchunkz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I fixed whatever was going on with safestrap, After I did the OTA to 98.72.16 and nothing was working, I downloaded the Fastboot files and used RSD lite to fully unroot and start over. Re-rooted using RAZR Blade and everything worked perfectly again. Kind of a huge run-around but it made it work again so I'm happy. Maybe it will work for you guys too, been flashing ROMs with no hiccups now.

#752 tula

tula

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:01 AM

anybody can help me ... there is a folder safestrap on my internal sdcard , with these inside it (left picture)

and there is also safestrap folder on my external sdcard with these inside it (middle picture)

and there is also (once again) folder on my external sdcard inside twrp folder that I think also contain backup files from safestrap (left picture)

it is eat a lot to my internal and external sdcard space ...

I just want to keep my stock side and my slot 1 (now i'm using slot 1)

which should I delete to release my space more ?

and could you tellme, where is the stock rom keep actually ?

thank you :)
btw i'm using v.3.11

Attached Files

#753 xCorps

xCorps

Team RAGE Dark Apprentice (Developer Apprentice)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Twitter:Dev_Team_Rage
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Charge, Motorola Photon, HTC Incredible, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab 7"

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

anybody can help me ... there is a folder safestrap on my internal sdcard , with these inside it (left picture)

and there is also safestrap folder on my external sdcard with these inside it (middle picture)

and there is also (once again) folder on my external sdcard inside twrp folder that I think also contain backup files from safestrap (left picture)

btw i'm using v.3.11

Did you change your saving location inside SafeStrap at any point in time? Perhaps you originally had it saving backups to the Internal SD Card, but you changed it over to the External SD Card?

That happened to me when I first started using SafeStrap. I originally had SS saving backups to the Internal SD Card, but I changed it to save backups to the External SD Card. In the meantime, you can see the dates of those backups in the name of the folders. Why don't you just delete the set of backups that is most out-dated?

The one that is on your Internal SD Card (pictured left) looks like it is actually SafeStrap's partition for the Slots, so I would not mess with that. The folder with all the zero's (pictured right) is actually your Stock Slot's backups, so I wouldn't mess with that either. I'm not sure what the middle picture is supposed to be, so I would definitely boot into SafeStrap to see where you have it set to save your backups.

Personally.. I would just look at the dates and figure out which backups I want to keep.

That and buy a 64GB Micro SD Card. :ph34r: It's a very beautiful thing to have.

teamragesigsxcorps.png

#754 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts
  • Twitter:Hashcode0f

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

btw i'm using v.3.11

Safe to delete or move to your external SD for safekeeping:
/sdcard/safestrap/orig
/sdcard/safestrap/safe
/sdcard-ext/safestrap/backup

These were all used in v2.x of Safestrap.

That should clear up quite a bit of space on internal.

Hope that helps.
  • droid4life likes this

#755 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

I've never been able to install from EXTERNAL...
My Phone has never been able to mount it?

There's a file that you can pull with adb while in Safestrap: /tmp/recovery.log

This is the standard TWRP startup log and it should show all the available mounts for your device. It will also show errors when attempting to mount them.

Do not post this file in public but feel free to PM me with a copy of it.

Also, there is a bug where the location shown in the "Install" window shows it's on "external sd" (with the radio button selected there) but is really listing "/sdcard". To fix this go up a level to the root of the device and the back down into "/sdcard-ext" you may find that your files are actually all there.
  • FastKatt likes this

#756 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

So many problems people have with Razr & safestrap 3.11, and still no word out of Hashcode. From sd card not mounting to black screens when trying to restore a backup. I have been on many different forums all with people with same types of problems. Still no reply from Hashcode. Hate to say this people I dont think he cares for us Razr users anymore!

I like the beginning of this post as it points out: I haven't been hitting the forums / threads as much as I need to ... However, the conclusion at the bottom is rather silly and unfounded don't you think?

There's really no excuse for my lack of participation lately, except that I have to scan through 30+ threads and it's quite time consuming. Add to that the active development that is happening with the Motorola devices and my other projects on the Kindles and helping w/ the Nook Tablet's merge into CM and it's been a very busy month. :/

Why do users have problems? The simple truth is that users of Android smart phones do many things to their devices. And as a developer, I can't hope to simulate all of these things. I rely on the community to help each other when they see issues that have been solved somewhere else or on their own devices.

I use 1 phone on a daily basis and I am not very aggressive about changes to the device. So my personal testing won't extend past making sure that Safestrap works in a clean stock rooted environment. And hopefully works on most common ROMs that are installable.

To this end, I've started a bugtracker to help me log and recognize where issues are happening:

RULES for posting on the bugtracker:
1. Make sure you're not posting a duplicate issue
2. Please include as much detail as you possibly can
3. Try and pull "/tmp/recovery.log" via adb while in Safestrap and attach it to your issue
4. Be patient :)
  • cvhovey, andlaw, dshu and 9 others like this

#757 blackops1125

blackops1125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

I got ss3.11 to mount my sd card, so now I can backup & restore to the sdcaed-ext. I can now install zips from sdcard-ext as well. I fixed this by formatting the sdcard through the phone. Format through PC did not fix it. I had to do it through phone. Now I can select between internal storage & sdcard-ext to my hearts content.
  • xCorps likes this

#758 FastKatt

FastKatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Location37312

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Please, PM me (or post here) a link to how I would get this for you.
I don't mess with ADB much...
Thanks!

There's a file that you can pull with adb while in Safestrap: /tmp/recovery.log This is the standard TWRP startup log and it should show all the available mounts for your device. It will also show errors when attempting to mount them. Do not post this file in public but feel free to PM me with a copy of it. Also, there is a bug where the location shown in the "Install" window shows it's on "external sd" (with the radio button selected there) but is really listing "/sdcard". To fix this go up a level to the root of the device and the back down into "/sdcard-ext" you may find that your files are actually all there.

#759 aidildroidrazr

aidildroidrazr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:@edhy_29
  • LocationMakassar
  • Current Device(s):HTC ONE DS

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Nice sharee very useful

#760 droid4life

droid4life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels
  • Current Device(s):Motorola DROID Razr XT912, Samsung Nexus 10, ASUS Nexus 7 all with CM 10.1

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

I like the beginning of this post as it points out: I haven't been hitting the forums / threads as much as I need to ... However, the conclusion at the bottom is rather silly and unfounded don't you think?

There's really no excuse for my lack of participation lately, except that I have to scan through 30+ threads and it's quite time consuming. Add to that the active development that is happening with the Motorola devices and my other projects on the Kindles and helping w/ the Nook Tablet's merge into CM and it's been a very busy month. :/

Why do users have problems? The simple truth is that users of Android smart phones do many things to their devices. And as a developer, I can't hope to simulate all of these things. I rely on the community to help each other when they see issues that have been solved somewhere else or on their own devices.

I use 1 phone on a daily basis and I am not very aggressive about changes to the device. So my personal testing won't extend past making sure that Safestrap works in a clean stock rooted environment. And hopefully works on most common ROMs that are installable.

To this end, I've started a bugtracker to help me log and recognize where issues are happening:

RULES for posting on the bugtracker:
1. Make sure you're not posting a duplicate issue
2. Please include as much detail as you possibly can
3. Try and pull "/tmp/recovery.log" via adb while in Safestrap and attach it to your issue
4. Be patient

Thanks for everything you have done for us hash, you rock man.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safestrap

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users