429 replies to this topic

#141 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

This worked. I wish i would have known the 181 restoral didnt havexto run all the way thru to work. Wasted 4 hours for nothing. Mine ran all the way to preinstall files.

If your phone was restoring for 4 hours, something else must have been messed up. mine restored using matts utility in about 10-15 minutes, all the way through - preinstall, system, radio, etc. If yours was taking hours something else was going wrong.

#142 loonie01

loonie01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

kool thanks. I found the utility

#143 xiinator

xiinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

Could someone maybe make an idiots guide, step by step using the three files listed above? And sticky it?

Not that I'm an idiot but I just want to be clear on all the steps so I don't spend hours unbricking if I screw it up... Thanks!

I know there's a 12 step, but I don't think it accounts for the unstuckics? And some of it isn't clear to me (okay maybe I am an idiot)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#144 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:14 AM

Could someone maybe make an idiots guide, step by step using the three files listed above? And sticky it?

Not that I'm an idiot but I just want to be clear on all the steps so I don't spend hours unbricking if I screw it up... Thanks!

I know there's a 12 step, but I don't think it accounts for the unstuckics? And some of it isn't clear to me (okay maybe I am an idiot)

It's super easy.

- PUT THE .206 UPDATE FILE ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD FIRST.
You will not be able to use your RAZR to put the files on the SD card after you begin. Please do so beforehand.

- Open the Droid Razr Utility 1.6
- Turn your phone off, & then turn it back on holding VOL DWN and PWR to boot into AP Fastboot
- Select Fastboot to .181 in the Utility & follow the onscreen directions
- Let it complete. There will be quite a few errors, don't panic - this is normal.
You are now on what we coined "Psuedo-.181" - some weird hybrid of GB and ICS files. Your phone will not boot at this point.

- Open the unstick ICS tool
- Choose the .206 kernel
- Let it install, and reboot.
Because of this kernel upgrade, you are now able to flash ICS again... even a later version.

- Turn your phone off
- Hold VOL DOWN + VOL UP + PWR, then use VOL DWN to go to "Recovery" and VOL UP to select it
- Press VOL DWN + VOL UP to bring up the menu
- Navigate to "Apply update from external SD"
- Select the .206 zip file you downloaded.
- *IF IT FAILS THE FIRST TIME, TRY THIS PARAGRAPH AGAIN*
And now you're on .206!

If you want root afterwards:
- Turn on your phone and let it boot normally
- Set everything up, and then turn on USB debugging
- Turn off your phone
- Hold VOL DWN + PWR to boot into AP Fastboot mode again
- Open the UnstickICS tool on your computer again
- Install the .85 kernel
- Turn your phone off
- Hold VOL DWN + VOL UP + PWR, then use VOL DWN to navigate to BP Tools, and VOL UP to select it
- Your phone should boot normally.
- Open the Droid Razr Utility 1.6 and select Root ICS.
- Follow the onscreen directions, pressing a button when it finishes rebooting, 3x.
- Turn your phone off again.
- Hold VOL DWN + PWR to boot into AP Fastboot again
- Use UnstickICS to flash the .206 kernel again
- Reboot
You need to do this, because the 4.0.4 kernel is not vulnerable to any root exploits. Going back to a previous kernel (in this case, 4.0.3) will allow you to exploit and obtain root, and then upgrade back to 4.0.4.

Done!
  • loonie01, cvhovey, AsosaYoung and 11 others like this

#145 BigJArm

BigJArm

• Developer
  • 212 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR; Nexus 10

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Sweet write up. Thanks.

#146 vahx129

vahx129

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Devs are awesome. I'd been refreshing this website consistently for the last 2 weeks at work hoping for something like this to develop. Imagine my surprise when it finally showed up O.O

Confirmed working for the 100th time I'm sure. Make sure you let the utility run until it says you can stop. Made that mistake initially but got it to work. Thanks again for the awesome fix Matt!

Vahx: Hi my name is Vahx and I'm a crack flasher.
All: Hi Vahx.

#147 loonie01

loonie01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

THAAAAAAANK YOU MATTLGROFF AND ALL THE PEOPLE THAT CAME UP WITH THIS FLASH PROCESS.

Also thanks TSON for in depth write up. Update path my rear end. This is my update path :-)

#148 echew

echew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:erchew
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

Holy crap Batman! This worked! Thanks so much to the developers on this!! Took a bit of reading and understanding the process at first, but once I figured it out, worked like a champ! WOOT!
--- Droid RAZR, CUTS like a knife!

#149 echew

echew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:erchew
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

It's super easy.

- PUT THE .206 UPDATE FILE ON YOUR EXTERNAL SD CARD FIRST.
You will not be able to use your RAZR to put the files on the SD card after you begin. Please do so beforehand.

- Open the Droid Razr Utility 1.6
- Turn your phone off, & then turn it back on holding VOL DWN and PWR to boot into AP Fastboot
- Select Fastboot to .181 in the Utility & follow the onscreen directions
- Let it complete. There will be quite a few errors, don't panic - this is normal.
You are now on what we coined "Psuedo-.181" - some weird hybrid of GB and ICS files. Your phone will not boot at this point.

- Open the unstick ICS tool
- Choose the .206 kernel
- Let it install, and reboot.
Because of this kernel upgrade, you are now able to flash ICS again... even a later version.

- Turn your phone off
- Hold VOL DOWN + VOL UP + PWR, then use VOL DWN to go to "Recovery" and VOL UP to select it
- Press VOL DWN + VOL UP to bring up the menu
- Navigate to "Apply update from external SD"
- Select the .206 zip file you downloaded.
- *IF IT FAILS THE FIRST TIME, TRY THIS PARAGRAPH AGAIN*
And now you're on .206!

If you want root afterwards:
- Turn on your phone and let it boot normally
- Set everything up, and then turn on USB debugging
- Turn off your phone
- Hold VOL DWN + PWR to boot into AP Fastboot mode again
- Open the UnstickICS tool on your computer again
- Install the .85 kernel
- Turn your phone off
- Hold VOL DWN + VOL UP + PWR, then use VOL DWN to navigate to BP Tools, and VOL UP to select it
- Your phone should boot normally.
- Open the Droid Razr Utility 1.6 and select Root ICS.
- Follow the onscreen directions, pressing a button when it finishes rebooting, 3x.
- Turn your phone off again.
- Hold VOL DWN + PWR to boot into AP Fastboot again
- Use UnstickICS to flash the .206 kernel again
- Reboot
You need to do this, because the 4.0.4 kernel is not vulnerable to any root exploits. Going back to a previous kernel (in this case, 4.0.3) will allow you to exploit and obtain root, and then upgrade back to 4.0.4.

Done!

May i recommend this be added to the OP?? Would have made my understanding of the process much easier!
  • cvhovey, eeraider and ddfuji like this
--- Droid RAZR, CUTS like a knife!

#150 stkiswr

stkiswr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

If your phone was restoring for 4 hours, something else must have been messed up. mine restored using matts utility in about 10-15 minutes, all the way through - preinstall, system, radio, etc. If yours was taking hours something else was going wrong.

lol i didnt just sit and watch it for 4 hours. I did however download 1.6 prob 4 times. Try many ways to unzip and run it...lets just say i am happy its done.
  • loonie01 likes this

#151 xiinator

xiinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

Saweeeet!!!! :-)

Thanks TSON for that awesome write up! It should definitely be stickied or something; and thank you Matt and all devs involved for dedicating your free time on this.

I will definitely be doing this over the weekend! Thanks again! :-)

#152 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

I also am gonna hang back and wait to see what happens. Just to be clear, this doesn't put you on path it just un sticks you from. 84 ans gets you stuck on a later build right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#153 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

lol i didnt just sit and watch it for 4 hours. I did however download 1.6 prob 4 times. Try many ways to unzip and run it...lets just say i am happy its done.

haha ok I was going to say. a 4 hour restore.....yikes.

#154 xiinator

xiinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

I also am gonna hang back and wait to see what happens. Just to be clear, this doesn't put you on path it just un sticks you from. 84 ans gets you stuck on a later build right?

I believe so, yes

#155 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:57 AM

that's my understanding. but if i'm going to be stuck, it might was well be on the latest and most updated leak. if you're stuck, you still have to wait for ota and then give the devs time to find a fix or fastboot files. if you're on 84 there really isn't anything to lose to update to 206. you're stuck either way.

#156 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

that's my understanding. but if i'm going to be stuck, it might was well be on the latest and most updated leak. if you're stuck, you still have to wait for ota and then give the devs time to find a fix or fastboot files. if you're on 84 there really isn't anything to lose to update to 206. you're stuck either way.

The hard part was figuring out how to manipulate the system. Now that they figured it out, when the ota comes, odds are it will be very easy to use this same method. If the ota ends up being one of the other builds like 203, we will just do this same procedure by flashing the 203 boot.img.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#157 tmillszero1

tmillszero1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

Being the complete idiot, I decided to take the plunge without checking to see if there were any exploits for root for 4.04. Luckily, this solution saved my arse. (I should know better.) I’d rather take this upgrade path than wait for the OTA, since it may take a while for the devs to find an exploit and ultimately root it.
  • loonie01 likes this

#158 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

Being the complete idiot, I decided to take the plunge without checking to see if there were any exploits for root for 4.04. Luckily, this solution saved my arse. (I should know better.) I’d rather take this upgrade path than wait for the OTA, since it may take a while for the devs to find an exploit and ultimately root it.

Good point with root but voodoo should keep root for those going straight to ota from 181.

#159 tmillszero1

tmillszero1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Good point with root but voodoo should keep root for those going straight to ota from 181.

That’s the thing though, I downgraded from .75 to .181 to use cheesecake to download .206. I rooted .181, protected root and upgraded via cheescake to .206. Once .206 was up and running, I lost root. Even tried to restore it with voodoo. I then tried to upgrade the su binaries and was getting failed messages. So rootkeeper does not work from .181 presumably to the next OTA as I lost root with .181 to .206, I “assumed” rootkeeper would work with the upgrade without checking into the details. To my suprise, I was wrong.

#160 ItsMeCD

ItsMeCD

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Hey guys...I'm in a bit of trouble.

I ran the first step from the RAZRUtility and it went through with a few errors, as expected. The phone started to boot and then shut down. Now, I can't get back into fastboot to use the Unstick tool. I've unplugged it. I've powered it down using the "Vol Down + Power" button. I've plugged into the wall and tried that as wall. I'm stuck with the initial red Moto logo it shows during startup, then nothing. Any help?

EDIT: And the logo only appears after I hold down "Power + Vol Up + Vol Down" for 10 seconds then let go. It shows the logo for...25-30 seconds (ish) then shuts down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users