• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Twitter:c_m_chance
  • Google+:Christopher Chance
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr MAXX HD

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

S4 GPE on AT&T month to month.  I just sent my RAZR HD out to another developer.  He'll be getting it in a few days.

Cool.  Well I'm still liking my Razr Maxx HD, but with it locked I'm becoming more eager to jump the boat and move on.  My girlfriend just got the HTC One and it's really nice!  I'm a big fan of the high quality hardware that Motorola has always used, just not a fan of how adamant they and verizon are to keep the phones locked.  I'd like to get a Droid Maxx or Moto X when they come out, but if I'm gonna be fighting them locking their phones like crazy again, then I might have to end this relationship that I have with Moto.  

#142 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

It's not just about unlocking anymore.  If you care about root at all, buying an unlocked phone (dev edition, gpe, whatever) is critical.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#143 xlow

xlow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

... I should be able to get another year of good use out of my Maxx HD if I can downgrade to the previous build, hopefully eliminating the random reboot issue, and somehow prevent the automatic OTA check....

Just disable Motorola Services (under Apps->All) -> Force stop and disable. After that you will NEVER see any annoying updates. 

#144 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Motochopper updated to 1.2.  I added a link to the RAZR HD specific thread for motochopper so I don't have to keep updating multiple places every time I make a change.  I separated things into specific directories (boot_new, boot_old, system) so that it can be updated going forward.  Obviously boot_old will have to remain the same, but, if you get a new update you can try sticking the new boot.img into boot_new and see if it works (let unlocked users test it first).  The system dir is used for when you need a clean start with the system partition to remove any remnants of root left over from a previous install.  If you drop the system.img.ext4 file from the FXZ into the system dir, it'll flash that as part of the rooting process and should give you a fresh start.  No promises that you'll be able to use this going forward but it's at least an attempt at making it a little more future proof by allowing people to swap out the boot.img file in boot_new with the latest one from whatever update is current.

For people on phones other than the XT926 and the 79 update, you can try adding the previous boot.img from whatever update worked with motochopper originally in boot_old and then the boot.img from your latest update in boot_new.  Again, no guarantees it'll work, but, it's worth a shot.

#145 jombo23

jombo23

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Sorry for the stupid question, and i bet the answer will be no, But. Will this work with 9.20.1? Im rooted and all that, but the bootloader is locked and the stock rom is atrocious. Can this unlock it, or can i downgrade then unlock it?

#146 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

You are correct.  No.

#147 jombo23

jombo23

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

well what can be done as far as roms and a locked bootloader? Dont new OTA updates update the bootloader? i know they did as far as my nexus 7.

#148 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Yes they do.  But SafeStrap exists for the RAZR HD.  In fact I believe a newer version is coming soon.  You just need to find SafeStrap roms for it.  Check the rom section.

#149 recDNA

recDNA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yes they do. But SafeStrap exists for the RAZR HD. In fact I believe a newer version is coming soon. You just need to find SafeStrap roms for it. Check the rom section.

Now all we have to do is get developers to write new roms foe locked phones with safestrap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#150 jombo23

jombo23

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Thanks, ill take a look.

The reason i asked was, why cant someone modify the stock rom so that it can be used without being unlocked, and spoof the ota update and use a custom bootloader?

#151 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I suggest you do a lot of reading on these topics.  You don't have the signing key.  End of story.

• jayrod and cmh714 like this

#152 Cooljoe

Cooljoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR HD Unlocked Bootloader

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Could I root somehow on 9.20.1 got a replacement with it already on idc about unlocking the bl

#153 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Sure root's no problem. See this thread:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

It has the latest version of Motochopper that we've been updating.  Unfortunately unlocking is not possible and will never be possible going forward.

#154 Cooljoe

Cooljoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR HD Unlocked Bootloader

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

Thanks so much I hate backup assistant running all the time and now I can under clock wooo
  • SamuriHL likes this

#155 timmy10shoes

timmy10shoes

• Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Noob here.......Why can't you write a script that will back up my stock rom, encrypted bootloader and recovery, then unlock the bootloader, root my phone, add init.d support to my existing stock rom, freeze all the bloat, flash a custom recovery image, tweak my system and then revert everything back to all official stock images when an OTA update comes out so I can accept the update? It doesn't seem that hard, are you just being lazy or what? I'd do some research myself and write the script but it seems like you could just add all this in a few minutes to the utility you already have. Thanks, I'll just wait till tomorrow for your update to rectify these trivial issues.

Sent from above

• jayrod and clydei like this
Sent from Above

#156 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Timmy, have at it :)

From My S4 Dev Edition

• johnthehillbilly likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#157 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Sounds like Timmy has it all figured out LOL :)

HD tappin' .... hillbilly style!!

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#158 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Well , I could give him a week. ....

From My S4 Dev Edition

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#159 timmy10shoes

timmy10shoes

• Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

Honesty, how hard can it be?

Sent from Above

Sent from Above

#160 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

I mean Timmy is a light blue he should be able to figure this out lickety split ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users