Photo

Ics 4.0.4 Update (6.16.208) - No Downgrading From This!

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#21 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

I'm on ICS .79 and I didn't give up fastbooting.
Any other legit answer?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

That's a warning for those of us that aren't already on ICS. GB people should be wary of giving up their fastbooting

#22 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

Any other legit answer?

What, exactly, are you talking about? Are you asking why there are warnings about flashing the file?

#23 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Nope. My question is somehow rhetorical. There is absolutely no relation with Matt's warning. I'll try again to be more specific.
When ICS OTA is out regardless of what version you are on now you go to a version that is not GB reversible.
Why to be afraid to go to 208 now?

What, exactly, are you talking about? Are you asking why there are warnings about flashing the file?

#24 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Any other legit answer?

Any leak after 79 can't be fastbooted back to Gingerbread.

#25 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Why to be afraid to go to 208 now?

If I were to flash 208 and it screws up my 4G signal, for example, there is no way back to gingerbread.

#26 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

I think the answer lays in the fear of not being able to update from a leak version to final OTA. We've had leaks before starting from Froyo and they will be as well in the future. A leak is as official as an OTA so I don think that we really have a legit risk in here.

#27 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

There should be. It's the unstuck method. As long as an img for 85 has been created an image for 206 will be created as well and you can go back to 206 for example. Am I correct guys?

If I were to flash 208 and it screws up my 4G signal, for example, there is no way back to gingerbread.

#28 MkVsTheWorld

MkVsTheWorld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Twitter:MkVsTheWorld
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:41 AM

Yes, this is 208, not 203 or 204 or 206.

HUGE warning to all who even consider this update. Like the 6.14.84.85 updates that have people stuck on them, this update will leave you stranded with no hope of ever going to gingerbread again. Those evil and sad words aside...

Download Link:

Has the crc and the zip in that folder.

This is to be applied over 6.12.181 if you dare...

If you are really brave you are on your own and this is in no way my responsibility if you choose to flash this.

I am rooted using the same method we use to root 6.16.206
Unstuck tool has been updated for 6.16.208 as well:

What's the build date on this?
Run for your health, run for the rush, run for charity. Sign up for a race near you, you can do it!

#29 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Any other legit answer?

That is the legit answer. It's telling people still on GB or able to get back to GB that you can't fastboot, so you're installing at your own risk as you may or may not be able to upgrade anymore after a certain point. If something breaks on this build or its just borked altogether, you may be SOL because you aren't guaranteed the ability to install later leaks or go back to the polished, stable GB. Also, in going to ICS you're giving up your ability to fall back to your favorite ROM that you were enjoying before, and also on top of that, installing ROMs on ICS is a little less safe because the fastbooting process is augmented and extended and hacky.

Wow @ the attitude though.

#30 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Again, I'm not arguing with Matt's warning. It is perfectly valid. It is about the near future when ICS OTA is released. As far as I know there was no absolutely one single leak in which the 4G didn't work. Everything worked except the small hiatuses with the battery. Deep inside me I do think that the leaks are released deliberated and I envision many geeks from Moto/Verizon monitoring these forums and collecting issues. There is no better testing than on huge mass of ppl like us. I hope somebody will get my point correctly.

#31 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

There were lots of 4G issues on the .7x early builds. I see what you're trying to say but I doubt that's the case. When the OTA is released that warning will still be posted, until we have ICS fastboot files.

#32 zachjeep

zachjeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

I think that we are all participating in a pre-soak tests here. Moto pumps out all these updates, and they allow us to download them and do some bug testing for them. Probably squashed quite a few bugs from reading the forums. I see what ya did there moto, lol

#33 boxermansr

boxermansr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

What's the build date on this?

May 29
Posted Image

#34 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

This small sentence has answered my question.
"When the OTA is released that warning will still be posted, until we have ICS fastboot files. "
Basically there is always the fear of not having a way to restore to a previous version that worked better than the actual one but so with the leaks.
We don't know if the root in Matt's uitlity is going to work.
We don't know if recovery method is going to work and so on.
But logically speaking if the official OTA is going to be the same with 208 or a little bit better why not?
Anyways in conclusion the questions are like this?
Is ICS better than GB?
Is it worth trying the leaks without the comeback?
I'm here on this forum because my answer is YES.

#35 gr8tripstr

gr8tripstr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:gr8tripstr
  • LocationSt. Pete, FL

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

I have it installed but I can't feasibly go through everything and remember how different it is from 206... It's kind of a ridiculous quest to send someone on.

Aww come on matt, Batman would have plenty of time to waste doing such a menial task...you know instead of saving the people of Gotham City!! LoL, I want a full report by midnight of all the changes! ;)

Device: Motorola Droid RAZR MaXX - .215 Leak / Arctic .214rv2 ROM

#36 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:15 AM

And by the way. I also stronlgy believe that the fastboot files are leaked by Moto so as many possible people will "fix" their phones before going back with them to the Verizon stores. By now they rely on our devs and their work and on ppl like us courageous and eager enough to try to fix their phones by themselves.

#37 eeraider

eeraider

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Twitter:rustyhamiltontx

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:33 AM

So far I have been resisting the urge to leave .79 but in another 24 hours I may not be able to. Has anyone tried safestrap yet?
My label is wrong, I am still a n00b.

#38 talkdj

talkdj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

My question is if I am on 206 can I put the 208 files in cache and install that way over 206? Will I have to root again or just use Voodoo?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#39 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

No you have to do the go back to .181 and then reupdate. That's the only way since you have to upgrade from .181 for the official ICS

Sent from my Soldiered up Razr Maxx
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#40 ralphie0108

ralphie0108

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Here's a stupid quesion but when I hit the update button on the phone it tells me that im up to date and no updates available (standard message) here's my question....If we're off path would we still get that message? im on .206. Sorry for the stupid question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users