G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Edited and Updated 6/18/12
The base instructions and main download here were originally intended only to update to the .210 leak from a previous > .84 leak. So the main download and instructions are geared towards that. If you want to use the utility to move to the .211 leak (or presumably beyond .211) you need to read the instructions

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and
download the updated script file and associated bootxxx.img file.

For those of you on .20x (and most probably .8x too) that want to upgrade to .21x, I have made some tweaks to Matt's 1.6 Utility to only flash the system.img and the preinstall.img from 6.12.181 and the 6.16.21x boot.img. I have also added in the new 4.0.4 ICS root method as posted here by DDX (I apologize but I do not know whom to credit for that particular work right now) and added a couple of other little options to the utility that I like to use. I have personally tested this on my phone taking it from 6.16.209 to 6.16.210 and then from 6.16.210 to 61.16.211 and it worked flawlessly. I nor Droidrzr.com accept any responsibility for any damage to your device if you CHOOSE to use this modification.

WARNING: At least one person has had issues with a Status 7 error on the assert checks to his /preinstall when running the update. He had the same error trying to go to .209 from .181 but was able to revert back. To my knowledge, this is the only failure from the utility and I believe that it would have happened regardless. We are still working on a solution to his issue, but if you have had problems with previous leak installs, you may want to hold off on this one.
UPDATE: The user with the Status 7 error got past it by flashing the .173 /preinstall files and then the .181 /preinstall files prior to applying the update.

If you want to try it, do the following:

*** A full version download has been added below, steps 1 and 2 can be skipped if it is used. I will leave the small download available for a while for folks who already have Matt's Utility and don't need the full file.***
1a. Download and extract

(if you don't already have it)

1b. Download the attached DroidRAZRUtility-Modified.zip (this is not the full utility, only the modifications that I made to the .bat file and other files needed that were not already included in the full download)
2. Extract the file to the same folder that Matt's Utility was extracted to. ( I see problems ahead here - this will not overwrite anything that was in Matt's original download)
3. Make a nandroid backup for safety's sake.
4. Take all of the normal precautions and preliminary steps you always do when attempting to modify your phone.
5. Say a little prayer.
6. Download the update file you are going to and copy it to your sdcard.

7. Make sure your phone is in AP Fastboot mode. You can use Option 15 from the Utility to accomplish this if you prefer not to use the manual way.
  • If you are updating to .210 you can just run the DroidRAZRUtility-Modified.bat.Make sure your phone is in AP Fastboot mode. You can use Option 15 to accomplish this if you prefer not to use the manual way.
  • If you are updating to .211 and beyond, you will need to read the instructions

and download the updated script file and associated bootxxx.img file and run the DroidRAZRUtilityFP.bat.
8. Select Option 2 (Partial Restore) and let it do it's thing. it should flash the necessary files and reboot the phone. The phone will not boot up at this point. You will need to restart the phone in stock recovery now.
9. From stock recovery select install from external storage, select the update file and wait for it to finish.
10. Once it is finished, wipe cache from stock recovery and reboot, run the utility again and select Option 5 to root 4.0.4. then download superuser from the market and you're back in business with your apps and setup intact.

This has only been tested from a 6.16.209 system going to 6.16.210, but it SHOULD work on any ICS build. You may need to wipe /data if coming from a 4.0.3 build.

When you extract the file the DroidRAZRUtility-Modified.bat file should be in the same folder as Matt's original DroidRAZRUtility.bat. There should now be a sub-folder under /files called /404ROOT and the boot210.img file should be in the /files folder. If these items are not in place the script will not work.

This modification does absolutely nothing that you cannot accomplish with tools already in existence. Namely Matt's Utility, Matt's Unstuck Utility and the new 4.0.4 root script. It just condenses them all into one place and does away with the /data wipe and extra files ( and time associated) that are in Matt's original script.

Disclaimer: I am not a developer, just a tinkerer. Everything contained within this file with the exception of my few script edits are the fruits of other peoples labor. All credit (if any) goes to the respective owners of the original work.

Mods and/or Matt and whoever is responsible for the 4.0.4 root, if this post is out of line, please delete it and accept my apologies.

[edit] fixed path issue in the script and re-uploaded

If your having permission issues downloading this file try

5.73MB   349 downloads

Full Version - Inclusive of Matt's DroidRAZRUtility 1.6 Final - Link removed due to "I need my Dropbox back".
For as long as the Dropbox bandwidth lasts. All you need to do is download the full version, extract and run the DroidRAZRUtility-Modified.bat file starting at step 3. Running the DroidRAZRUtility.bat file will run Matt's original script as he created it.

- Thanks to (TSON)

I have re-done the script again to hopefully have it ready for the next leak or OTA whichever comes first. Rather than re-upload the whole huge file again at this point, I m just attaching the updated script file. Download it and see the directions for use in

4.57K 144 downloads
  • cvhovey, (TSON), bandit420 and 17 others like this

#2 ka1z0ku

ka1z0ku

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Pretty ingenious work for someone who "isn't a developer". I think a lot of people will find a use for this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 trekie4ever

trekie4ever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

I'm not the only one who does this :-D! I did it to go from .206 to .209 to .210 and now with 4.0.4 root no need to flash the .85 kernel :-)! That was the only annoying part.

And you don't need to flash preinstall if you never installed safestrap/bootstrap from MY experiences. And some apps like... titanium backup don't like this so just clear data for individual apps that give you trouble.

For those who just want to use a command prompt do the following:

open command prompt as admin
navigate to your matt's utility files location (for me it's cd C:\Users\____\Desktop\Razr1\files
type the command: moto-fastboot flash system system.img

#4 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

I'm not the only one who does this :-D! I did it to go from .206 to .209 to .210 and now with 4.0.4 root no need to flash the .85 kernel :-)! That was the only annoying part.

And you don't need to flash preinstall if you never installed safestrap/bootstrap from MY experiences. And some apps like... titanium backup don't like this so just clear data for individual apps that give you trouble.

I wondered about preinstall, but there were some assert checks to it in the updater script and I figured some might be coming from SS, so I kept it in.

#5 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Simple and it works! Good job.

One problem I had was with the first reboot. The script showed an error for missing ADB (which I do not have installed), and when it rebooted it just hung, I did a hard-reboot and picked up with Recovery.
  • noahsark3 and jimh1999 like this

#6 trekie4ever

trekie4ever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

I wondered about preinstall, but there were some assert checks to it in the updater script and I figured some might be coming from SS, so I kept it in.

Yep, it saves so much time sys+pre or just sys... AND DATA! doing it like this. If anyone runs into issues... make sure you used unstuck tool to flash the proper boot image.

#7 randomcold

randomcold

I'm a virus waiting to happen.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationTuscaloosa, Alabama

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

Works just fine.

#8 brucb3

brucb3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Perfect! Easy and works just fine rooted .210 coming from .209!

#9 noahsark3

noahsark3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

One problem I had was with the first reboot. The script showed an error for missing ADB (which I do not have installed), and when it rebooted it just hung, I did a hard-reboot and picked up with Recovery.

I damn near s*** myself when that happened. But everything went off without a hitch from 208. Thanks a lot!

EDIT: I'm having problems with the rooting script. I've followed the directions in the utility, but I'm getting 'error: device not found'

RE-EDIT: Played with the drivers until something stuck. All good!

#10 mluihn

mluihn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thanks, It work perfectly when from 209-210 did not have to start from scratch.

#11 varpness

varpness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

WARNING: I would STRONGLY advise against this. I followed the steps precisely (running 209) and I get assert failed: mount ("ext3", "MTD", "preinstall", "/preinstall")
E: Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)

Obviously 209 won't boot up, nor anything else. Kind of stuck. I'll keep working on it and offer advice when I have a solution. For now, again, I suggest avoiding using this.

#12 jimh1999

jimh1999

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

I upgraded to .210 following the above steps, works great.
Thanks G8orDroid...

#13 trekie4ever

trekie4ever

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

WARNING: I would STRONGLY advise against this. I followed the steps precisely (running 209) and I get assert failed: mount ("ext3", "MTD", "preinstall", "/preinstall")
(Status 7)

Obviously 209 won't boot up, nor anything else. Kind of stuck. I'll keep working on it and offer advice when I have a solution. For now, again, I suggest avoiding using this.

Then you didn't follow directions.

(Status 7)

For those who just want to use a command prompt do the following:

open command prompt as admin
navigate to your matt's utility files location (for me it's cd C:\Users\____\Desktop\Razr1\files
type the command: moto-fastboot flash system system.img

You didn't read all the posts. Recovery told you what was wrong. Your Preinstall. You had safestrap installed. Follow the same instructions I posted or use this utility to flash system/preinstall again.

type the command: moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img and make sure you flashed the .210 boot.img through the unstuck tool. Then redo the flash in recovery....

#14 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

Ugh! That's what I get for not testing that part. I left the path statement off in the script. It was an afterthought and I guess I rushed it a bit. Sorry, I'll fix and repost.

#15 zelet

zelet

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

Maybe this is a stupid question but can you use this tool to get back on the upgrade path once the OTA drops?

#16 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

(Status 7)

Yep, sounds like you didn't get the preinstall.img flashed (and most probably system or the boot210.img either). My guess would be bad download or a failure on getting the files properly placed in the main utilities folder structure.

#17 crupp

crupp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

Im getting a invalidor corrupt file when downloading the zip? anyone else?

#18 opieum

opieum

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:13 AM

I get an error when using option 2. error:cannot load "files\system.img" and preinstall.img as well. boot goes fine.

EDIT: Nevermind pulled the preinstall and system img files from the stock .181 file to make this happen. They aren't included in case anyone needs to know.

Basically works like this. You need to have Matt's DroidRazr tool as OP mentioned PLUS the preinstall.img and system.img from the stock rom in the files directory (stock rom posted in numerous places) I would recommend adding this into the instructions and adding a link to the stock rom for people to download. Im a bit of a razr flashing n00b and it can be a bit daunting but having a tool that helps ease that I think this tool can make that happen. Lotta good info here.

Once you have that you are good to go. It worked for me. Thanks for this tool. Thanks to all the devs and tinkerers for their work. I spent all of yesterday bricked knowing I could get out of it once I or someone else came up with the right solution. In this case this was it so thanks alot G8orDroid :D

Edited by opieum, 14 June 2012 - 05:29 AM.

#19 wayneh38

wayneh38

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

This worked great. :)
  • wabmorgan likes this

#20 jb_alphamale

jb_alphamale

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

Fantastic idea. I'll try it with the next leak but if it works as supposed to do this is going to save many hours of work in reinstalling and configuring the apps. Thank you very much man.
By the way you don't specify in the OP if you have to uninstall safestrap before doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users