Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

WARNING: THIS GUIDE WILL HELP YOU INSTALL THE 6.16.211 ICS LEAK. IT IS NOT FASTBOOTABLE BACK TO GINGERBREAD!!!!!!

NOTICE: If you want to upgrade from .2xx to .211 I suggest using this OP instead. It is much easier to follow and allows you to keep data

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Every day i see people running into trouble sideloading the .211 ICS leak onto stock 181 gingerbread devices so i decided to write up this detailed guide on how to do it right.

I STRONGLY ADVISE READING THROUGH THE WHOLE GUIDE BEFORE STARTING JUST SO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO AND THERE ARE NO SURPRISES :)

STEP 1

Download mattlgroff's Droid RAZR Utility 1.6 and extract it to your desktop

STEP 2

Download the .211 ICS Leak and put the zip on your phone's EXTERNAL sd card (don't extract it)

STEP 3

Put your phone in AP Fastboot mode
-Power down phone
-Hold down Power button & Volume Down button for 10 seconds
-Let go and you should be in AP Fastboot mode

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 75% BATTERY BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!!!!!

STEP 4

Open Droid RAZR Utility 1.6 and run Option 1 to fastboot back to 181. This insures you have a clean install of Gingerbread with all of the stock apps.

STEP 5-1 - OPTIONAL BUT HIGHER SUCCESS RATE

Once fastboot is complete and the screen to set up your new device comes up, power down phone.

Once phone is off,

Download and install this utility to flash ICS Android Recovery. This will make install smoother

Once utility is done your phone should automatically reboot into Android Recovery. If it does skip to STEP 6. If not, go to STEP 5-2

STEP 5-2 (ONLY IF COMING FROM ANOTHER ICS LEAK THAT IS NOT FASTBOOTABLE!!!!! - .84 or higher

IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK 181 SKIP THIS STEP AND CONTINUE WITH STEP 5-3!!!!!!

Download the Unstuck ICS Utility 211 -

Put phone in AP Fastboot mode

Open Unstuck ICS Utility 211 and use "Option 1" to flash the 6.16.211 kernel (should not take longer than 10 seconds)

STEP 5-3

Hold down Power & BOTH volume buttons until a menu pops up. Press Vol Down once to highlight android recovery and press Vol Up to select it.

STEP 6

Once you are in Android Recovery, hit both volume buttons and let go to bring up text.

Hit volume down until "wipe data/factory reset" is selected. Then hit power button to select it and scroll down to hit yes.

STEP 7

While still in Android Recovery, navigate to "apply update from external storage" and select the .211 Update zip that you put on your external SD card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AT THIS POINT ONE OF TWO THINGS WILL HAPPEN.

1) THE INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL TAKE 10 MIN AND THEN IT WILL SAY INSTALLATION COMPLETE. AT THAT POINT YOU CAN NAVIGATE TO "REBOOT SYSTEM NOW" AND ENJOY ICS!!!!!!!

2) THE INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL TAKE A MINUTE OR TWO AND THEN GIVE A STATUS 7 ERROR MESSAGE

This is completely normal and nothing to worry about. Hold down both Power and BOTH Volume Buttons to shut down phone. go back to STEP 5-3 and repeat all steps. At this point you should get an install complete message and you can enjoy ICS :) (also its not too late to do step 5-1 if you skipped it :D)

EDIT: If you still get a status 7 error or get a status 0 error, repeat this process. It only took me 2 tries but some people report that it took them 4 or 5 tries. After 5 tries if it STILL doesn't work, hop into the chat room :) someone will fix you right up :D

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE. YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!
  • 3a4yI7aTiY, DemoManMLS, Saepak and 2 others like this
Posted Image

#2 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

ROOT METHODS!!!!

DirtyDroidX posted a utility that can root newer builds of ICS. Most people report success (including myself) but some people say the utility doesn't work. I suggest you head over to his thread and try out his method before anything else:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This method is a bit more time consuming but everyone says it works:

1) Download "Unstuck ICS 211 Utility"

2) Put phone in AP Fastboot mode

3) Run "Option 2" to flash the .85 Kernel

4) Power down phone

5) Hold down power + BOTH Volume Buttons

6) Go all the way down to the last option "BP TOOLS" and hit Volume Up to select it

7) Once phone is booted up, run "Option 3" in Droid RAZR Utility 1.6 to root ICS

-Sometimes when the phone reboots you will get a black screen after the boot animation. Just wait 15 seconds to ensure the phone is connected to the computer and ready to continue and then press any key to continue in the utility.

-MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE IS IN MTP MODE
-MAKE SURE USB DEBUGGING IS ENABLED (System Settings >> Developer Options)

8) AFTER THE ROOT PROCESS IS COMPLETE: put the phone back in AP Fastboot mode

9) Run "Option 1" in Unstuck ICS Utility 211 to flash back the .211 kernel

10) Power down phone and boot normally to get back into a rooted 211 stock ICS!!!!!!!
  • radioguinea and DemoManMLS like this
Posted Image

#3 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Excellent write-up Alex! Hats off to you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • evo1994 likes this

#4 joshpdavis80

joshpdavis80

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am downloading .211 from above. However, the download says that it is .181. Is that normal?

#5 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

I am downloading .211 from above. However, the download says that it is .181. Is that normal?

The file name shows the build version you're coming FROM. Not the build version you're going TO. Yes it's normal.

Edited by spc_hicks09, 18 June 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#6 Haloman800

Haloman800

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Twitter:@AbrahamAnderso2

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'm already on a leak (.209), is there any way to upgrade to this without wiping all my data/settings?

#7 CaptainKn0tz

CaptainKn0tz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

I'm already on a leak (.209), is there any way to upgrade to this without wiping all my data/settings?

~Sent from my Droid [R]

#8 malhovic

malhovic

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

Awesome write-up. Very useful. I tried to get around having to fastboot but we both knew that wouldn't work (shoot me for tryin').

Thanks again to the team(s) making all this possible.

#9 MartyChubbs

MartyChubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationThe Ghetto, Minnesota

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

This is the best guide yet! Thanks for taking the time to do it
:-*

I (aka Mr. Chubbs aka Marty "The Wad" Chubbs aka Knot Mehreelname ) accept no liability for the content of this post. I basically made it all up as I was typing...

#10 qoncept

qoncept

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Ok, I found this thread after I already started.. hopefully someone can help me out. I was on an Eclipse GB ROM. Now I'm stuck at the Dual Core boot screen. Here's what I did:

- Used Droid RAZR Utility 1.6 to fastboot back to .181
- Cleared cache and did a factory reset
- Rooted and installed Root Keeper
- Applied .211 update zip

and now the Dual Core screen. I left it set for over a half hour. Can anyone help? Thanks!

#11 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Ok, I found this thread after I already started.. hopefully someone can help me out. I was on an Eclipse GB ROM. Now I'm stuck at the Dual Core boot screen. Here's what I did:

- Used Droid RAZR Utility 1.6 to fastboot back to .181
- Cleared cache and did a factory reset
- Rooted and installed Root Keeper
- Applied .211 update zip

and now the Dual Core screen. I left it set for over a half hour. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Did you get any errors? Hop into the chat and maybe someone could help you better :)
Posted Image

#12 qoncept

qoncept

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Ok, for the dopes like me that didn't read all the way through, I retried the update.zip and the second time it worked, just like Alex said. Thanks!

#13 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Glad to hear it :D

Posted Image

#14 radioguinea

radioguinea

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Great job Alex! And thanks for the help today!

#15 unseenme

unseenme

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@unseenme

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

Coming from stock .181, I followed the steps to a T including installing ICS recovery & it worked perfectly. Couldn't get my lappy to recognize my phone afterwards while trying to root but I'm sure that's a driver issue. I'll be working on that tonight. Great write up!

Edit: uninstalled the drivers rebooted my computer reinstalled em rebooted and rooted it perfectly.

*sent from my MAXX Samich*

#16 siddyboy21

siddyboy21

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

good day,

This may be a silly question but i am unsure, will this work for none verizon phones (unlocked in my case)?

#17 bcautosound

bcautosound

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

When I try to use the utility to load the ICS recovery I get a path not found error. I have the phone plugged in, in ap fast boot mode and the phone recognizes it is plugged in. Any Ideas?

#18 unseenme

unseenme

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

When I try to use the utility to load the ICS recovery I get a path not found error. I have the phone plugged in, in ap fast boot mode and the phone recognizes it is plugged in. Any Ideas?

Did you unzip the file you downloaded and run the utility from the unzipped folder?

#19 bcautosound

bcautosound

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Unzipped it to my desktop. I can try to download the file again.
  • opus264 likes this

#20 unseenme

unseenme

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Unzipped it to my desktop. I can try to download the file again.

unzip it to the same location you downloaded the zip file. I have a folder on my desktop called RAZR that I download & unzip everything to.

*sent from my MAXX Samich*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ics, gingerbread, 181, 211, droid razr utility

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users