1018 replies to this topic

#841 tmillszero1

tmillszero1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:54 AM

lol Im not saying that it doesn't, I was just trying to explain another way that they could do it. He obviously didn't know what to expect when using the BP tool option which is no fault to them if they are completely new to this stuff. I wasn't trying to step on your toes or say that that particular method was wrong. If it came out that way I apologize. :) I have never had any problems with any of the utilities but I agree that there is not much reading going on in these threads prior. It seems as if they jump right in and then when a problem comes around and they have potentially have bricked their phone they panic and send out an SOS lol.

hahaha, I guess I came across the wrong way! I'm sorry! I was trying to say there is more than one way to skin a cat! ;-)

#842 JDW

JDW

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Being a noob, and not a root pro, I can only say there certainly is a huge amount of info here. So much so, that it becomes extremely confusing as to what exactly might apply to a certain person's situation.

I myself asked a very simple question, maybe too simple to get much repsonse. BUT, I asked it so that I would be assured of what I was doing by expert authority (you guys) that I wasn't being dumb, or missing something.

I still am not sure if I'm going to be opening a can of worms and be crying for help when I temporarily brick my phone.

I'll mention mine again. It's probabaly silly simple to you experts.

1). rooted my maxx with Matt's 1.6 utility, never changed anything (roms etc) and am on still on OEM 181.
2). I can get the OTA now, and would like to upgrade to ICS.
3). do backup with titanium, I unroot (with 1.6) and remove everything root related. Then do the OTA and then re-root with say 1.7?

Or is there a simpler way? A memeber mentioned "voodoo". I just didn't want any issues, and nothing here quite deals with my simple situation.

I so much appreciate any input. Thank you.

#843 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

Being a noob, and not a root pro, I can only say there certainly is a huge amount of info here. So much so, that it becomes extremely confusing as to what exactly might apply to a certain person's situation.

I myself asked a very simple question, maybe too simple to get much repsonse. BUT, I asked it so that I would be assured of what I was doing by expert authority (you guys) that I wasn't being dumb, or missing something.

I still am not sure if I'm going to be opening a can of worms and be crying for help when I temporarily brick my phone.

1). rooted my maxx with Matt's 1.6 utility, never changed anything (roms etc) and am on still on OEM 181.
3). do backup with titanium, I unroot (with 1.6) and remove everything root related. Then do the OTA and then re-root with say 1.7?

Or is there a simpler way? A memeber mentioned "voodoo". I just didn't want any issues, and nothing here quite deals with my simple situation.

Download Voodoo OTA Root Keeper from the Play Store
Open the app and backup Root
Install the ICS OTA
Open up Voodoo again
Restore Root
PROFIT!

Hope that clears it up :)

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

Edited by spc_hicks09, 03 July 2012 - 08:36 AM.

• JDW likes this

#844 JDW

JDW

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Awesome. Thnak you. :) Another member mentioned it, just not explained as you did, Thank you :)

Couple extras Q's:

Should I unfreeze anything frozen by Titanium backup?
Should I Uninstall anything root oriented?
Will this wipe my data etc?
If so, will titanium restore app data from the GB to ICS? Or will I just start over with a fresh restored phone?

#845 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Awesome. Thnak you. :) Another member mentioned it, just not explained as you did, Thank you :)

Couple extras Q's:

If so, will titanium restore app data from the GB to ICS? Or will I just start over with a fresh restored phone?

You have to unfreeze the bloat for the OTA to take. Temporarily unroot with voodoo and get the OTA. No the OTA will not wipe data, unlike the utility which will.
  • JDW likes this
Posted Image

#846 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Couple extras Q's:

I wouldn't suggest restoring data, lots and lots of people have been having issues.
  • JDW likes this

#847 JDW

JDW

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

You have to unfreeze the bloat for the OTA to take. Temporarily unroot with voodoo and get the OTA. No the OTA will not wipe data, unlike the utility which will.

Excellent to hear. Thank you. That was mostly why I'd waited for the OTA, as i was hoping not to wiipe it "again". I'd done that a few times while tring to backup that text file frm my DX with titanium and trying to avoid that again, lol.
____

Unfroze everything and just finishing a titanium back up to dropbox (JIC).
Downloaded Voodoo, about to run it, unroot. and hit the OTA.

I wouldn't suggest restoring data, lots and lots of people have been having issues.

Ahhh, good to hear. I could understand why I guess. I restored a DX SMS file to my Maxx and killed the radio several times in a row requiring a restore. I am Backing up now as a JIC I suppose, but being a new OS, I can't imaging it playing well between OS's if it didn't play well with the SAME OS between the X and the Maxx. lol...

Just hoping it keeps some things. :-/ Always takes me a week to get the phone "right" again after a wipe.

#848 pieface

pieface

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Posted Image

For assistance see the help thread:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Thanks W0017roid for the video!

I do not want anyone stuck with this. Please please please, put the 6.16.211 update zip on your external SD card before doing ANYTHING!

If you do an option and end up in a semi-bricked state awaiting install and you don't have the update on your external SD card you aren't gonna have a good time.

It will NOT magically appear there by itself.

Droid Razr Utility 1.7

I mean for this utility to be used by those who are on Gingerbread and want to go to Ice Cream Sandwich (6.16.211), and for those who are on Ice Cream Sandwich and want an easier unbricking tool and rooting tool that includes ICS versions of Bootstrap, Safestrap, and the beloved OTA Rootkeeper by Voodoo.

Functions of 1.7:

Posted Image

1. Self explanatory, hopefully. Fail-proof. (Just need you to put 6.16.211 update on your SD card!)

2. Implementation of my Unstuck Utilities into one simple function.

3. Dan Rosenberg's new ICS 4.0.4 Root method.

4. My implementations of TPSparky's 4.0.3 root method. You can use option 8 to use this root method, and option 9 after (if you choose).

5. Self explanatory.

6. Self explanatory.

7. Self explanatory.

8. For use with the 4.0.3 root method (option 4).

9. For use with the 4.0.3 root method (option 4).

Downloads:

• Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(md5:
    79A1EE4A992EACD1D08F98DEE5DEEBF7)
  • Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(md5: 40DC068DC4B0DFBA12C96A7D18C267E5)
  • Droid Razr Utility 1.7 Mirrors:

----------------------

If anyone is feeling generous and wants to buy me a "beer" then click the spinning batarang below. Thanks and enjoy the utility!

Beer deserved. Beer bought. Thanks for fixing my Razr. Cheers.

#849 walker164

walker164

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

6.16.211 external link dead?

#850 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Backup root with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then unroot. Don't forget to unfreesze/reinstall any system apps or bloatware, update your data (just in case something happens), then download and install ICS update via OTA.
  • JDW likes this

#851 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

6.16.211 external link dead?

A few people mentioned that last night as well... try doing a search on xda for the link, because I know that one's still working (tried it yesterday)

#852 JDW

JDW

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Backup root with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, then unroot. Don't forget to unfreesze/reinstall any system apps or bloatware, update your data (just in case something happens), then download and install ICS update via OTA.

Awesome! Done deal. Did exactly as instructed and it was a perfect ICS OTA install. All data intact, root is back via Voodoo. Very simple.

I truly appreciate the input and expert advice. Made for an easy trauma free install, which is why I asked a few questions before I meddled with it ;) . Exactly what I needed.

Many sincere thanks!!!!! :) Very appreciated.

#853 steveninspokane

steveninspokane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

I don't mean to sound callus, but it would make your life easier if you actually read the information provided, and most importantly the directions, whenever you're doing something somewhat advanced to your phone. Matt (mattlgroff) is an amazing dev and teacher... he doesn't just write stuff in a post simply to write it or waste your time. Read what he (and other devs) write in their posts and simply follow their directions.

I keep getting alerts from all these users who it appears either didn't read the directions, or didn't follow them. I understand that we all make mistakes (I've made plenty with my phone), but when user after user are having all these issues on a very self explanatory issue, it starts to become apparent posts aren't being read, directions aren't being followed. Failing to do so simply causes whomever is doing it a lot of unneeded grief and problems; as well as costing other members their time by having to repost what was already posted in the original post.

I'm not saying don't ask for help if you have a problem, that's obviously what forums are for... but give enough respect to the Dev (matt) to actually read and understand what he's written and the directions he's given. I've been using various versions of his droid utility now for almost a year and I've yet to run into a problem that couldn't be figured out by doing some reading and searching on either this forum, xda, google, or another forum. Rooting and modding your phone already shows you're intelligent, so quit selling yourself short and educate yourself... to not do so is a grave injustice to yourself.

Sounds great, would you mind telling someone to Post these "Directions" on the OP?
  • jw0914 likes this

#854 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Awesome! Done deal. Did exactly as instructed and it was a perfect ICS OTA install. All data intact, root is back via Voodoo. Very simple.

I truly appreciate the input and expert advice. Made for an easy trauma free install, which is why I asked a few questions before I meddled with it ;) . Exactly what I needed.

Many sincere thanks!!!!! :) Very appreciated.

Anytime ;)

#855 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

#856 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Sounds great, would you mind telling someone to Post these "Directions" on the OP?

Right lol

It seems like common sense to me... who knew

#857 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Fixed link for 211:

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#858 civic_r87111

civic_r87111

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

IDK what I'm doing wrong but I have USB debugging on, unknown sources on, and run the utility in mass storage or MTP and all I get is waiting for device and that's it, some help please.
BTW I do have all the latest drivers installed

#859 anthony2558

anthony2558

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Are you in Motorola recovery mode? AP fastboot? Does it say transfer mode USB connected.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#860 civic_r87111

civic_r87111

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'm sorry, guess I should have said I am trying to root my phone after the OTA to 4.0.4 I'm doing it just like was done in the video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users