• Please log in to reply
1018 replies to this topic

#861 anthony2558

anthony2558

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm sorry, guess I should have said I am trying to root my phone after the OTA to 4.0.4

Ahh OK.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#862 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

A tip for people having issues where the Utility just closes.

Re-extract the utility to your C: drive.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#863 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

Don't know if your Q from last night was solved, so just putting in some troubleshooting ideas. It sounds more like a computer/USB problem. You should restart your computer and make sure the USB cable is actually making a connection (Can you use it to charge a device? Will it work in other situations? Do you have an alternate you can use?). It should be the only thing plugged into your computer with a direct port connection, not a hub or replicator. Sorry if that sounds overly simple, but hanging installs miraculously disappear after a computer restart, much of the time. As well as the computer and the device recognizing each other.
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#864 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

Okay, since someone mentioned it a few posts ago, feel free to flame away as I drop in this completely out of place post that's buried on Page 44 of the thread. The link for the Mac version of the Utility is posted on the Utility for Linux/Mac thread in this same Development forum. But just to make it easier:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

- It's Post #160 on that page.

Or just bypass all that nonsense and "link and load:"

The READ ME FIRST file is usually a good place to start after you've unzipped the downloaded file.

Also, just to clarify, the download is for the Mac version of Utility 1.7. Any mods who want to bump it here or there, be my guest.

Cheers.
  • jw0914 likes this
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#865 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

Okay, since someone mentioned it a few posts ago, feel free to flame away as I drop in this completely out of place post that's buried on Page 44 of the thread. The link for the Mac version of the Utility is posted on the Utility for Linux/Mac thread in this same Development forum. But just to make it easier:

- It's Post #160 on that page.

Or just bypass all that nonsense and "link and load:"

The READ ME FIRST file is usually a good place to start after you've unzipped the downloaded file.

Also, just to clarify, the download is for the Mac version of Utility 1.7. Any mods who want to bump it here or there, be my guest.

Cheers.

Added to the second post in the thread. Thanks stealthmouse
  • jw0914 likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#866 callahanx

callahanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter:blcx
  • Google+:brandoncallahan30@gmail.com

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

Google now seems to be something amazing... and for some reason having the newest software and ROMS is what we do! i was on a rooted stock .211 and wanted google now so i changed the .build using a root explorer. That was a mistake, i soft bricked my phone and now im currently trying to fix it before i go to work. Just a word to the wise dont do what i did. but utility 1.7 is helping a lot right now. hope to get it running. i will keep everyone updated because im using the utility almost like a fastboot!!!!

#867 callahanx

callahanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Twitter:blcx
  • Google+:brandoncallahan30@gmail.com

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

success!!!!! :D Mattlgroff you are the man thank you!

STEPS:

1: get the 1.7 utility and the blur version.zip place it on sd card. If phone is bricked prior to putting this on sd card (which i assume it is) get a micro sdcard to usb reader for your comp.

2: once you realize your phone is not going to boot... go ahead and hold down power button+ vol down... wait till screen flashes

3: after screen flashes hold all three buttons; power+ vol down+ vol up

4: AP Fastboot mode and do step two in the utility to unbrick

5: Reboot and repeat steps 2&3

6: Go back into AP fastboot mode and run step one of the utility

7: Reboot phone (again) follow same steps but this time reboot into recovery mode

8: Wipe Data

9: Flash the .zip file that is on sd card

10: If install fails first time let your heart skip a beat and hit reboot system (chances are your boot wont get very far since you are still bricked)

11: Go ahead and repeat step 2 and reboot back into recovery mode....

12: Reflash .zip from sd card this will take a while but it worked for me now i am back on system .211

these steps are in no way perfectly written but are good for people that have done their research and know a little about android flashing

#868 llewis13

llewis13

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

I'm sorry, guess I should have said I am trying to root my phone after the OTA to 4.0.4 I'm doing it just like was done in the video

we're in the same boat. my phone clearly connects to the computer via USB because i can see all the files in windows explorer, not to mention the auto play windows that pop up when i plug my phone in. i have USB debugging on, mock locations on, i've tried every which way to sunday on mass storage/mtp/ptp modes, the failsafe file is extracted to it's own folder on my desktop. i've read all the instructions 100x and it just keep saying "Waiting for device..."

i've also tried booting to AP Fastboot and then plugging in the USB. it says data cable connected, then i try run the utility. still no luck. i'm stumped. does it make a difference that this is a refurb phone that verizon sent to me? it wasn't rooted and then i did the official OTA to 4.0.4 and now i can't root. any help is much appreciated. thank you all!

#869 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Did you try booting into BP tools then rooting?

#870 dadof10

dadof10

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

Dude!!! i figured it out! to anyone having the device not found error. Try everything matt says first of course. IF THAT FAILS, factory reset your device. i just did it and it worked finally!!! my theory is that when the setting for usb debugging goes through the ota checked, it doesn't read in ICS for some reason. Just a theory

This worked for me, also. Thanks neOwb. I bricked my phone last week by running out of battery half way through install. I had to get it replaced and received the new phone yesterday. I updated to .211 OTA immediately , but couldn't root using Matt's tool. I tried two other exploits, which didn't work either. I was at a loss, trying the few fixes I found here. None worked but this one. If you are on STOCK OTA .211, you can simply root using this tool. Here is what worked for me:

Go into Menu>System Settings>Privacy and hit "Factory data reset". This will reset your phone to stock.

After it boots up, hit the "home" key to bypass all the "setup" stuff. Get to your home screen.

Check "USB Debugging" (Menu>System Settings>Developer Options)
Check "Allow Mock Locations" (Menu>System Settings>Developer Options)
Plug in your USB cord.
In the Pulldown menu there will be an entry that says "Connected as a..." Hit that and check "Media device (MTP)"
Now, make sure Matt's utility is EXTRACTED to your desktop. Open the folder and right-click the "DroidRAZRUtility" batch file.
From the menu, click "Run as Administrator".
Run option 3 and, you should start the rooting process.

This worked for me after I tried repeatedly and kept getting "waiting for device" errors. I hope it works for you.

Thanks, Matt for the countless hours of fun you've given us. I can't speak for everyone here, but if it wasn't for you, I would not have the ultimate toy. God bless you.

#871 dadof10

dadof10

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:33 AM

we're in the same boat. my phone clearly connects to the computer via USB because i can see all the files in windows explorer, not to mention the auto play windows that pop up when i plug my phone in. i have USB debugging on, mock locations on, i've tried every which way to sunday on mass storage/mtp/ptp modes, the failsafe file is extracted to it's own folder on my desktop. i've read all the instructions 100x and it just keep saying "Waiting for device..."

i've also tried booting to AP Fastboot and then plugging in the USB. it says data cable connected, then i try run the utility. still no luck. i'm stumped. does it make a difference that this is a refurb phone that verizon sent to me? it wasn't rooted and then i did the official OTA to 4.0.4 and now i can't root. any help is much appreciated. thank you all!

Try doing a data wipe. It worked for me...

#872 civic_r87111

civic_r87111

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have a direct connection with the usb on the mobo. My phone is connecting to the computer, I look in device man and see it's connected but not adb. I know when i rooted b4 it was reg'ing as an adb device. I figure ICS doesn't use that now but could this b a problem? I have tried it on my laptop and my desk top pc. Laptop is running XP and desk is running Win7 no luck with either. In device man it sees my phone the same on both computers. Btw I also have a Verizon refurb. I just received this phone yesterday and did the OTA then a few hours later started trying to root it.

#873 mrbuilder

mrbuilder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Error message but first a little background...

I'm trying to go from a (bricked? partially bricked?) .181 to ICS. I tried installing the OTA update several times, but got Status 7 error every time. I used clockworkmod to restore to several weeks ago then did a factory reset. I still got the Status 7 error when I tried to install the update. I then attempted to restore to my clockworkmod backup from yesterday. In the middle of the process, it failed. Now I'm stuck at the Dual Core screen...

So I searched and came up with your thread. I downloaded your 1.7_FailsafeEdition. I extracted the utility and I end up with the Drivers folder and 36 other files. I assumed I was to run RunMe.bat in administrator mode then choose option 1. When I do so I get the following error message:

Press any key to continue . . .
'moto-fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key AFTER the screen comes back on

Am I doing something wrong? I haven't seen this error before.
Thanks,
mrbuilder

#874 swiftd03

swiftd03

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

OK, so I am having an issue and after reading through about 30 pages of this I can't find it so I am hoping you guys can give me a hand. I have RAZR Maxx upgraded to ICS OTA. Now I am looking to root without wiping hopefully. I have loaded everything up, downloaded the drivers from the utility and originally the came up with a Daemon not loaded error and said that device not found when running option #3. Went back through and rebooted phone selected MTP mode on the phone and that worked. Now I am getting a (error: more than one device and emulator) everytime I run the root (option #3). It runs through the whole root process on the computer but the phone does nothing but reboot at the very end. Any ideas. I have done nothing but run option #3, is there something I need to preload even if I have the OTA?

#875 bacon225

bacon225

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

I had a stock Razr Maxx and Verizon sent me the up date OTA. It seemed to work OK until I went to use the phone.
Bad bugs and kept rebooting when opening apps or answering phone calls. Spent two hours on phone with tech support no help at all.
Spent days reading the forums reading and kept finding links and comments about this thread.
So download, download, click, wait, click, wait, click, wait. all done and running perfectly.
Could have not been any easier unless it would plug it's self into the usb port.
Now I have a perfect running phone with ICS and Rooted to boot.
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

#876 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I have a direct connection with the usb on the mobo. My phone is connecting to the computer, I look in device man and see it's connected but not adb. I know when i rooted b4 it was reg'ing as an adb device. I figure ICS doesn't use that now but could this b a problem? I have tried it on my laptop and my desk top pc. Laptop is running XP and desk is running Win7 no luck with either. In device man it sees my phone the same on both computers. Btw I also have a Verizon refurb. I just received this phone yesterday and did the OTA then a few hours later started trying to root it.

Check out the few posts before this last one you posted to see if those techniques help

#877 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

Error message but first a little background...

I'm trying to go from a (bricked? partially bricked?) .181 to ICS. I tried installing the OTA update several times, but got Status 7 error every time. I used clockworkmod to restore to several weeks ago then did a factory reset. I still got the Status 7 error when I tried to install the update. I then attempted to restore to my clockworkmod backup from yesterday. In the middle of the process, it failed. Now I'm stuck at the Dual Core screen...

So I searched and came up with your thread. I downloaded your 1.7_FailsafeEdition. I extracted the utility and I end up with the Drivers folder and 36 other files. I assumed I was to run RunMe.bat in administrator mode then choose option 1. When I do so I get the following error message:

Press any key AFTER the screen comes back on

Am I doing something wrong? I haven't seen this error before.
Thanks,
mrbuilder

You have a few issues...

1. You're trying to use the latest version of the utility. Download version 1.6, reflash the .173 fastboot file, and then grab the OTA.

2. More likely than not, the reason you're getting a status error when trying to install the OTA is that there is something not stock on the backup you restored your phone with. If everything isn't exactly the same as it was on stock, the OTA will fail every time.

Once you use 1.6 and flash the .173 fb file (which is the file for GB .181), then you should no longer have any issues doing the OTA.

#878 amojeba

amojeba

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Can this utility somehow be used to downgrade, from ICS (ota update) back to a gingerbread rom?
Droid Razr, verizon here.

#879 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

You can't downgrade from ICS back to GB. It's a permanent deal. On the bright side, eventually all VZW will be on ICS anyway, and the number of custom ROMs is about 10x as many,

#880 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Can this utility somehow be used to downgrade, from ICS (ota update) back to a gingerbread rom?
Droid Razr, verizon here.

Sorry, but no. This has been explained in other forums with the ICS leaks

EDIT

Why would you want to downgrade?

Edited by jw0914, 04 July 2012 - 01:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users