Bump

#242 kamikamel

kamikamel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

having the EXACT same problem as jmlenz. I've done everything he has. I've followed the instructions perfectly. I've used the help thread. I've googled until I'm cross-eyed. My phone has never been rooted and I still have all the bloatware. I was even able to use 1.6 to restore to factory (just for kicks) and I can't OTA or sideload. I get stuck with a failure on OTA and a I get the exact error as jmlenz.

updating LTE...
asset failed: motorola .motoflash("/tmp/lte.img")
E: Error in /tmpsideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Are we just doomed? I spent 12 hours on this yesterday doing it every way I can think of. Different computers, different cables.. wipe before running utility, wipe after utility, booting GB, then going back to recovery, wiping before running ICS sideload. Same results every time. It's incredibly maddening.

#243 kamikamel

kamikamel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Well, I've done a little more digging, and although I'm not well versed in what I'm about to post, I hope it will help someone else that has this problem. I also hope it will help someone help ME. LOL.

So because it fails directly after the "updating LTE" portion of the sideload, I read on some other threads/forums that PERHAPS we've lost our LTE radio? And it's been suggested to use Utility 1.51 which should load the radio back onto the phone.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

So I guess I'm going to try that tonight and see if using 1.51 and then sideloading ICS will work. Cross your fingers!

#244 jberry21

jberry21

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Are you suggesting using 1.51 to go back to stock then try the update? I used an even older utility to go to stock 173 then was able to take the 181 from Verizon buy not 21.

#245 Omni81

Omni81

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

In order to use the utility I had to modify the DroidRAZRUtility.bat file. I had to change GOTO:EOF to GOTO:menu_3 at the end of the header. I verified that my system32 was set correctly in path; I ran the findstr.exe from a cmd.exe prompt in the c:\. It ran like it was supposed to, so I have to assume there's a problem with the .bat in regards to my system.

Once I modified the .bat, I ran it once and it rooted my phone like it’s supposed to.

If you're going to suggest using 1.6 instead of 1.7, it would be nice to know where I can get 1.6, as I'm a new user of this utility.

Regardless, the actual rooting capability of the utility worked flawlessly, and I thank you very much for succeeding where others have failed.

#246 kamikamel

kamikamel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Are you suggesting using 1.51 to go back to stock then try the update? I used an even older utility to go to stock 173 then was able to take the 181 from Verizon buy not 21.

Yes I was suggesting that, for the radio problem. Plus my phone was bought used, so I don't know what was done to it previously and already at 6.12.181 with (apparently) missing components, so I was hoping that 1.51 utility would restore any items that were missing that are hindering me from getting the OTA update to ICS. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what happened next because.. stupidly, I used the utility at a low battery life. I didn't even realize the battery wasn't charged up when I started. The entire utility ran perfectly with no errors. As soon as it was done, I put the utility back into the main screen by hitting enter to continue, and when I disconnected the phone from the computer, I suddenly got a FAIL message in fastboot and it said battery low. Now I 'm softbricked, so I threw the poor phone IMMEDIATELY onto a wall charger. I'm too much of a pansy to splice any cables so I'm waiting on a Motorola programming cable to flash it again. And the work around to use BP Tools mode does not for my kind of bricking. Boooooo... -_- Well chalk it up to a lesson learned. I'll post again on this issue when I get that cable.

#247 kamikamel

kamikamel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

If you're going to suggest using 1.6 instead of 1.7, it would be nice to know where I can get 1.6, as I'm a new user of this utility.

;P

#248 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

• currently on v181 on razr (GB)...do in need to flash one of the boot.img's from 6 or 7 before I run step 1 (fastboot restore) on matts new utility? (v1.8)
  • Will give thanks to anyone who can assist!
  • eventually i had the android with the blue progress in the belly...must be good news---but then when the phone reboots---it just gets to the motorola dual core screen and goes nowhere...

What exactly have you done, as your post wasn't very descriptive?

If you were on GB, why didn't you just OTA to ICS... that would have been the simplest way.

If you have already flashed ICS and have done something incorrectly so that now you're bricked, then use Matt's utility, version 1.8; or you can use RSD and reflash ICS that way (RSD file can be found here

).

I can also almost guarantee that you're where your at because you either didin't read the directions or skipped a step.

#249 texaslegend

texaslegend

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

first...matt, huge props for all your work! incredible. reading through all the posts and replies you've made its just, um....wow.

so i used ur utility and i got through it without much trouble BUT idk if i'm even rooted at this point. boot into fastboot and it still says locked. i think i read that this just means the bootloader is locked as in it will always be that way even if the phone is rooted. is that correct?

the one challenge i seem to have is step 7, flashing kernel 214. if i go to about section of my phone it still says i'm on 211. i've tried to flash 214 a couple of times now using the utility but no change. any thoughts on how to correct this?

oh...a PS, i still can't get rid of VZW bloat, facebook, etc...

#250 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

first...matt, huge props for all your work! incredible. reading through all the posts and replies you've made its just, um....wow.

so i used ur utility and i got through it without much trouble BUT idk if i'm even rooted at this point. boot into fastboot and it still says locked. i think i read that this just means the bootloader is locked as in it will always be that way even if the phone is rooted. is that correct?

the one challenge i seem to have is step 7, flashing kernel 214. if i go to about section of my phone it still says i'm on 211. i've tried to flash 214 a couple of times now using the utility but no change. any thoughts on how to correct this?

oh...a PS, i still can't get rid of VZW bloat, facebook, etc...

Yup your bootloader is still locked

Step 7 just loads the .214 kernel. Your system will still say .211 but your kernel date should be mid july

If you are rooted you should have the SU app

On ICS you can go into able and disable a bunch through app manager. Sometimes you have to uninstall updates before you can disable.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#251 kamikamel

kamikamel

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Okay, the good news is I got the cable and I was able to unbrick the phone.

Bad news. Still can't get ICS on this thing and I'm feeling certain it just won't happen. It's definitely the phone, and not the utility. I downgraded (like jberry21) to 173, and when it rebooted, I was able to OTA to 181. That was a successful install. So I went back and checked for ANOTHER update, and it said 21 was available, so I downloaded it and it FAILED at the install. Just like always.

I tried sideloading with the zip, and it still fails too. Right after "updating LTE..."

Error is same always:

assert failed: motorola.motoflash("/tmp/lte.img")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Unless someone knows exactly what to do now... (and believe me I've wiped cache/data and rebooted in all the right orders till the cows came home) I'm totally giving up. What a waste of 4 nights and a total of 2 weeks waiting on the cable. I even made the mistake of going to a Verizon store and the guy basically wanted to see for himself what the OTA does. He made me stay in there for an HOUR waiting for it to download. After an hour and a half total, he was going to give me a new one until he realized I didn't buy it from Verizon. So for those of you who did buy from Verizon, I say take it back. The tech support called it DOA and to "warranty it out".

Good luck guys!

#252 fadeds

fadeds

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Bad news. Still can't get ICS on this thing and I'm feeling certain it just won't happen. It's definitely the phone, and not the utility. I downgraded (like jberry21) to 173, and when it rebooted, I was able to OTA to 181. That was a successful install. So I went back and checked for ANOTHER update, and it said 21 was available, so I downloaded it and it FAILED at the install. Just like always.

I tried sideloading with the zip, and it still fails too. Right after "updating LTE..."

Error is same always:

(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Unless someone knows exactly what to do now... (and believe me I've wiped cache/data and rebooted in all the right orders till the cows came home) I'm totally giving up. What a waste of 4 nights and a total of 2 weeks waiting on the cable. I even made the mistake of going to a Verizon store and the guy basically wanted to see for himself what the OTA does. He made me stay in there for an HOUR waiting for it to download. After an hour and a half total, he was going to give me a new one until he realized I didn't buy it from Verizon. So for those of you who did buy from Verizon, I say take it back. The tech support called it DOA and to "warranty it out".

Good luck guys!

I bought my last phone from best buy, a droid incredible. I received 2 warranty replacements from Verizon in the first year of having it. Seeing as the phone is under a one year manufactures warranty they shouldn't give you a problem. Call customer service, don't go to the store. Good luck. p.s. DON'T GO TO THE STORE :D

#253 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Error is same always:

(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Good luck guys!

Reflashing sbf 180 via rsd lite should fix whatever the issue is.

#254 fudgepants

fudgepants

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Everything was perfect, thanks so much!!!

#255 ihateverizon

ihateverizon

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

THANKS SO MUCH!!! Worked great on my Razr with 211 OTA update... NO MORE VERIZON JUNK!!! I am doing a happy dance, if only you could see! Thanks again.

#256 jhalsey205

jhalsey205

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

Problem rooting via 1.81 utility. I have successfully used the 1.81 utiliity on several occassions (and most of the previous iterations as well. I have never had any problems flashing, rooting, etc, ... until now.

I was running Th3ory's Infektion via Safestrap but wanted to return to stock 211 and then flash 215 (which I have done successfully in the past).. I Fastbooted back to 211 without incedent via 1.81 utiliity and then tried to root (device tethered and set to media, PC drivers updated, device debugging checked and not set to mass storage). I am able to start the root process and go through the initial reboot, but after that, my pc fails to recognize my device is tethered and the utility hangs.

Does anyonone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

John

#257 solar

solar

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

Sorry I think I may have just failed with my phone. I followed the instructions and did option 1. Went all the way through it and everything looked good but now All I get is a duel core logo than a black screen... Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Chris

For what it's worth I think my problem was jumping right to the 1.81 tool... I think that if I had gone straight to 1.7 instead (as I was still on GB) I think that my odds would have been much better. The 1.6 tool and a few emails from Matt set me straight :)

Matt -- Thanks for all the help!

#258 mindofender

mindofender

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

I am having an issue with my computer recognizing the phone in the utility. I have checked and double-triple checked that USB debugging was on, I have reinstalled drivers and used the ones in the download itself. I have tried putting it into fastboot, used a different USB cord and slot, downloaded the motorola management software, and done everything else I have been able to find while crawling through the pages of this thread. However, the utility still gets stuck at waiting for phone. Any help would be massively appreciated.

System Version 6.16.211.XR912
Android Version 4.0.4
Droid Razr (Not the max)
Kernal version 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
Build Number 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

I include this information because I'll admit to being very new at this, so I don't know what is pertinent and what isn't.

#259 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

I am having an issue with my computer recognizing the phone in the utility. I have checked and double-triple checked that USB debugging was on, I have reinstalled drivers and used the ones in the download itself. I have tried putting it into fastboot, used a different USB cord and slot, downloaded the motorola management software, and done everything else I have been able to find while crawling through the pages of this thread. However, the utility still gets stuck at waiting for phone. Any help would be massively appreciated.

System Version 6.16.211.XR912
Android Version 4.0.4
Droid Razr (Not the max)
Kernal version 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
Build Number 6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

I include this information because I'll admit to being very new at this, so I don't know what is pertinent and what isn't.

Wipe data and you should be good. MotoDev documented there is bugs with ICS and the new USB drivers where wiping data may be necessary. I have seen it fix this issue many times.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#260 mindofender

mindofender

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

So just a factory reset?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users