n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

For,

no root: unroot with voodoo and do FDR

this should also solve removing safestrap or bootstrap

Custom Rom: I've never flashed one so I'm not familiar with them, however, reflashing ICS with 1.7 will also delete the ROM... but there may be a simpler way, as I don't have any experience with ROMs

Sorry for noob question but what FDR means?

#162 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Sorry for noob question but what FDR means?

no prob, it's factory data reset

#163 olegausany

olegausany

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Ok thanks

#164 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Ok thanks

Anytime ;)

#165 scott.fitz.fitzgerald

scott.fitz.fitzgerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Just a heads up. That's exactly what I did earlier. I used voodoo, unrooted, then FDR, and when it came back up superuser was there and root was in place. He's pretty much asking the same question I was. If by chance it works let me know and I'll give it another shot.

#166 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

Yeah I got that, but with GB we were able to do a full unroot with no trace of SU anywhere, no app, no access etc. That's what I'm looking for. Guessing it's not yet worked out since it's not in Matt's utility yet. I'm not in a huge rush so no worries. I'll just wait it out and I'm sure we'll see the ability soon. Thanks for the help!

if you want to get rid of root for stock,just reflash 211 with matts 1.7,takes to back to box stock 211,make sure you wipe everything(data,dalvi,cache)

#167 scott.fitz.fitzgerald

scott.fitz.fitzgerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

OK, I got it all to work. Here's how: Of course 1st I put the 211 update file on my SD card. Then using Matt's 1.7 utility I used option 2 (the one to fix a bricked 211, which may be overkill, but nonetheless it worked). Once that was completed rebooted to recovery, wiped all that I could, then did a standard install from SD and that was it. Superuser is no longer there and we're back to stock.

So, exactly what I was trying to do. Wasn't sure if I needed to run option 2, but figured it would work and basically take it to a place prior to where it would be ready to install the 211 update. Just FYI.

Thanks to everyone who reponded earlier - especially JW!

#168 Rashiv

Rashiv

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Alright two days at this i got my phone yesterday warranty. first razr had user error was trying to do to much at once but it was on 4.0.4 applied from the sd card not OTA and was rooted. I applied the ota updated to the new device. I have tried three different methods unziping on to my desktop i get the error waiting for device ( loaded in ap fastboot nuthin there either).... unzip it to document error Path not specified. then there the manual command prompt with dropbox n su those didnt work either. I went as far as wiping my computer of everything. still no luck would verizon put sumn on the phone from allowing me to root it. Also the driver in D-R-Utility 1.7 are older than the ones that are on motorola website so i thought that was the problem but no neither one of the worked. HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to get Tit Bkup back it was all my in app data.

#169 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

Just a heads up. That's exactly what I did earlier. I used voodoo, unrooted, then FDR, and when it came back up superuser was there and root was in place. He's pretty much asking the same question I was. If by chance it works let me know and I'll give it another shot.

If you unrooted with voodoo, there's no way root could come back on its own without you restoring it. Reason being is when Voodoo backs up and removes root, it actually deletes/modifies the 4 or 5 files that gives you root access, removing SU access.

Seeing SuperUser.apk or the SuperUser app in the app drawer is not an indication the device is rooted, nor is it an indication that root was restored.

Please understand what root is, what root entails, and what root allows you to do before assuming and providing misinformation to other people, and especially other users.

If you do a factory reset after you've removed root via Voodoo, the SuperUser app will still be there, but there will be no root access. Anybody can download the SuperUser app from Google Play, but the app is not what gives you root access (commonly referred to as rooting). If you believe this to be incorrect, please download SuperUser from Google Play onto a non rooted or unrooted phone and attempt to gain root access... it will be denied and you will be informed your device does not have root access.

Please, quit doing yourselves an injustice and educate yourselves. Do research, search forums; learn, don't assume.

#170 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Alright two days at this i got my phone yesterday warranty. first razr had user error was trying to do to much at once but it was on 4.0.4 applied from the sd card not OTA and was rooted. I applied the ota updated to the new device. I have tried three different methods unziping on to my desktop i get the error waiting for device ( loaded in ap fastboot nuthin there either).... unzip it to document error Path not specified. then there the manual command prompt with dropbox n su those didnt work either. I went as far as wiping my computer of everything. still no luck would verizon put sumn on the phone from allowing me to root it. Also the driver in D-R-Utility 1.7 are older than the ones that are on motorola website so i thought that was the problem but no neither one of the worked. HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to get Tit Bkup back it was all my in app data.

Instead of giving you the same answer I posted before about giving the devs respect by actually reading their post and following their directions... I'm just going to recommend you, and ask others to do the same, to:

please read the OP.

If you still haven't figured out where you went wrong, then please go through the original post (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) and you will find your answer.

Users need to take responsibility and start spending time actually reading the post and following directions. When you don't, then you have no excuse for a problem happening.

#171 Rashiv

Rashiv

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I have to say disreguard my thread. Actually not going and lookin at the previous post help but just playing around setting and and utilites 1.6 helped me. But i will heed your word and read before my hand touch the keyboard again.

#172 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

I have to say disreguard my thread. Actually not going and lookin at the previous post help but just playing around setting and and utilites 1.6 helped me. But i will heed your word and read before my hand touch the keyboard again.

The problem was you didn't follow the directions matt gave, ergo you more than likely didn't read the entire post before downloading and then bricking your phone. Matt left very specific directions for the utility he developed... show him the respect he deserves please.

#173 olegausany

olegausany

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Ok now we know that we have two ways to unroot using voodoo and using option 2 of version 1.7 utility so now we just need to find out if option 2 will also remove safestrap and custom rom or if it doesn't what we need to do in order to remove safestrap and custom rom completely from the phone. Thanks again to Matt for such powerfull utility

#174 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Option 2 doesn

Ok now we know that we have two ways to unroot using voodoo and using option 2 of version 1.7 utility so now we just need to find out if option 2 will also remove safestrap and custom rom or if it doesn't what we need to do in order to remove safestrap and custom rom completely from the phone. Thanks again to Matt for such powerfull utility

Option 2 doesn't unroot... It gets you unstucked/unbricked while going from .84 to .211

#175 olegausany

olegausany

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Option 2 doesn

Option 2 doesn't unroot... It gets you unstucked/unbricked while going from .84 to .211

Yes i know that you can't use option 2 to just unroot but it will allow you to use motorola recovery first to wipe data /factory reset and then wipe cache and after that to install fresh unrooted .211 ICS from external SD card. S now i just want to know if using option 2 will also remove safestrap and custom rom if they installed and if not how can i remove them

#176 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Yes i know that you can't use option 2 to just unroot but it will allow you to use motorola recovery first to wipe data /factory reset and then wipe cache and after that to install fresh unrooted .211 ICS from external SD card. S now i just want to know if using option 2 will also remove safestrap and custom rom if they installed and if not how can i remove them

Yup, any OS flash will delete all information. It's like doing a fresh windows install.

#177 olegausany

olegausany

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Ok since flashing fresh stock rom will remove safestrap and custom rom i will try to install safesrrap and deodexed rom this weekend

#178 themagicm

themagicm

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

OTA .211 installed here..
downloaded util, ran it, select #3, waiting for device... (I tried PTP, MTP also, usb debugging is on, unknown source is checked also)

I installed the drivers from the drivers directory, still no go. AP Fastboot, select #3, still no go.

Win 7 is the OS.

Is there a Linux version? This just doesnt work.

#179 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

OTA .211 installed here..
downloaded util, ran it, select #3, waiting for device... (I tried PTP, MTP also, usb debugging is on, unknown source is checked also)

I installed the drivers from the drivers directory, still no go. AP Fastboot, select #3, still no go.

Win 7 is the OS.

Is there a Linux version? This just doesnt work.

Motorola Drivers are screwed up. The utility works fine on most computers but Motorola's latest drivers for some reason are not working on some, not an issue with how I made the utility. Saying "This just doesn't work" can seem a little bit insulting ;)

There is a linux version which does not need drivers, stealthmouse posted it a page ago, and its in the second post of the thread.
  • jw0914 likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#180 themagicm

themagicm

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

Ok..figured it out.

My phone was previously rooted...I restored to factory defaults...now it all works!

A+++

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users