Helped me out a lot, thanks mate :D

#142 jchitwood85

jchitwood85

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hope im not double posting but I have a question,any time i load any version of matts utility, it closes after hitting "any key". I added the windows\system32 path like in the Q&A but still cant get it to work, any advice? aside from finding a new pc lol......

#143 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hope im not double posting but I have a question,any time i load any version of matts utility, it closes after hitting "any key". I added the windows\system32 path like in the Q&A but still cant get it to work, any advice? aside from finding a new pc lol......

Did you extract the Utility with WinRAR?

#144 ludi

ludi

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

When flashing the OTA from external all appears to go well...
eventually i get...

Install from sdcard complete.

reboot = moto logo --> droid boot animation freeze-(freezez always when "DROID" displayed-never see droid eye.

Any suggestions?

if i boot into bp tools after sdcard update applied i get into os.
upon reboot i get fastboot flash failure looped

im at a loss.

please PM me or reply ;)

#145 bogginblazer

bogginblazer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

ok root dose not work it will not read my phone

diff phone

trying to re flash it it will go to a point then just stop and i have to hit x to close down the program.

installed 32bit drivers no change.

any ideas?

#146 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

ok root dose not work it will not read my phone

diff phone

trying to re flash it it will go to a point then just stop and i have to hit x to close down the program.

installed 32bit drivers no change.

any ideas?

Unstuck 211 Tool, flash .85 kernel, boot up in BP Tools, ICS Root with utility, boot back into fastboot, Unstuck 211 Tool to flash the .211 kernel, Profit!

#147 scott.fitz.fitzgerald

scott.fitz.fitzgerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Just quick question about how to unroot 211? I'm on the soak release and i rooted with your newest util, but didn't see an option to unroot. I went back to version 1.6 of your util and used that unroot option but after doing that and a factory reset it's still rooted. So, how can I do that? Thanks!

#148 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Just quick question about how to unroot 211? I'm on the soak release and i rooted with your newest util, but didn't see an option to unroot. I went back to version 1.6 of your util and used that unroot option but after doing that and a factory reset it's still rooted. So, how can I do that? Thanks!

Use voodoo OTA rootkeeper... simplest and easiest way

#149 scott.fitz.fitzgerald

scott.fitz.fitzgerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Well yeah, but that's a temp unroot. I want to do a full unroot without a backup. Any ideas?

#150 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Well yeah, but that's a temp unroot. I want to do a full unroot without a backup. Any ideas?

Technically it is a full unroot, as in removes root access. If you were to delete voodoo's backup file and data, you would no longer be able to restore it.

Voodoo only temporarily unroots your device because it creates a backup of root files before deleting them. When you click "restore root" it actually copies those files back, giving you your root back. But once you click unroot on Voodoo, you're unrooted. If you want to verify yourself, attempt to open an app like sqlite, or rom manager, root tools, or any other app that requires root access to run. All apps will tell you you need root access to run and force close.

Why does this matter so much, just out of curiosity?

#151 zorginof

zorginof

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Because if something happens and you need to return it if it is rooted it voids the warranty

#152 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Because if something happens and you need to return it if it is rooted it voids the warranty

Unrooting with voodoo would suffice for that, even more so since you should be doing a FDR before sending it back.

I know it should suffice, because I've had to have my phone fru'd twice for non mod related issues, and that's all I've done every time. I'd also take a look at Moto's warranty, just to familiarize yourself with it (something every user should do for any high dollar electronic they own, but especially phones).

#153 scott.fitz.fitzgerald

scott.fitz.fitzgerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yeah that would be one reason. But I would like to be back to stock. Some of the things I used root for are no longer needed or working in ics so I just wanted to go back to stock. Yeah shouldn't have rooted after the update in the first place but oh well.

So if I were to temp unroot with voodoo and deleted the backup file and then did a restore that would do it you think? If so, would you know where those are? I'm not seeing a specific voodoo folder either on the internal or sd card.

#154 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Yeah that would be one reason. But I would like to be back to stock. Some of the things I used root for are no longer needed or working in ics so I just wanted to go back to stock. Yeah shouldn't have rooted after the update in the first place but oh well.

So if I were to temp unroot with voodoo and deleted the backup file and then did a restore that would do it you think? If so, would you know where those are? I'm not seeing a specific voodoo folder either on the internal or sd card.

I think you're getting some things mixed up...

Root, or SU (SuperUser), is a process that give you SU access to the phones root directory. It's the exact same as running something on Windows as "Administrator". That's all root is, admin access... nothing more. When a phone is rooted, the user is given SU access to the phone's root, or system, directories.

You can still have a stock system even if you're rooted. Rooting does not modify your phone's system, it gives you the capability to modify your phone's system. This is a very important and crucial difference, one that's mixed up far more often than it should be.

Simply doing what I posted above will be all you need to do to get where you want to be.

#155 scott.fitz.fitzgerald

scott.fitz.fitzgerald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah I got that, but with GB we were able to do a full unroot with no trace of SU anywhere, no app, no access etc. That's what I'm looking for. Guessing it's not yet worked out since it's not in Matt's utility yet. I'm not in a huge rush so no worries. I'll just wait it out and I'm sure we'll see the ability soon. Thanks for the help!

#156 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yeah I got that, but with GB we were able to do a full unroot with no trace of SU anywhere, no app, no access etc. That's what I'm looking for. Guessing it's not yet worked out since it's not in Matt's utility yet. I'm not in a huge rush so no worries. I'll just wait it out and I'm sure we'll see the ability soon. Thanks for the help!

You're absolutely right, ICS just hasn't been out long enough yet. It's only been available to the public for a couple of days.

I could be completely off base here, but I think voodoo does exactly what matt's utility did on GB. I could be wrong, but I think it's the same because there's only 4, maybe 5 (I know there's not more than 5), small files that are modded and created to give root access. It's not an intense process on the phone, and you're able to see what files are modded by doing a google search. The info may be on here or xda, just can't remember, but I do know that there's quite a few pages out there that list the files and their directories.

#157 olegausany

olegausany

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hello Matt
Thanks for great utility but i have 2 questions. I used utility 1.7 option 1 and OTA leak zip file to get ICS. Now i'm planning to install safestrap 2.0 so that i can install deodexed rom which i need only cause you can't install 1% battery charge mod to the stock rom. So my first question is what exactly i will need to do to have only official stock rom on my phone in case i will need to send it back. I want to know exactly what to do before i continue. Now question 2: There is no way to go back to GB .181 at this point and get official OTA ICS using my phone? why am I asking this is just cause i tried to use option 1 of both version 1.7 and 1.6 but was getting 'Preflash verification failed' after writing cwt, device-tree, boot, system and recovery. I even tried to RSD Lite to flash .181 and .173 and failed on both while processing cwt and stopping

#158 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Hello Matt
Thanks for great utility but i have 2 questions. I used utility 1.7 option 1 and OTA leak zip file to get ICS. Now i'm planning to install safestrap 2.0 so that i can install deodexed rom which i need only cause you can't install 1% battery charge mod to the stock rom. So my first question is what exactly i will need to do to have only official stock rom on my phone in case i will need to send it back. I want to know exactly what to do before i continue. Now question 2: There is no way to go back to GB .181 at this point and get official OTA ICS using my phone? why am I asking this is just cause i tried to use option 1 of both version 1.7 and 1.6 but was getting 'Preflash verification failed' after writing cwt, device-tree, boot, system and recovery. I even tried to RSD Lite to flash .181 and .173 and failed on both while processing cwt and stopping

So you're currently running ICS .211, yes? If you are, you can never flash back to GB, at least at this point. The .211 leak is the official build, so you won't be able to OTA because your system already recognizes it as having the latest OTA version.

Now, for question #1:

You need to have the .181 fastboot file on your external sd card (.181 is the update to .211) in case you ever want to flash back to stock ICS. I think this is what you asked, but I could very well have misunderstood what you meant by send it back.

Question 2:

No there isn't. If you installed anything over .8x, I think, you can't go back to GB.

#159 olegausany

olegausany

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

So you're currently running ICS .211, yes? If you are, you can never flash back to GB, at least at this point. The .211 leak is the official build, so you won't be able to OTA because your system already recognizes it as having the latest OTA version.

Now, for question #1:

You need to have the .181 fastboot file on your external sd card (.181 is the update to .211) in case you ever want to flash back to stock ICS. I think this is what you asked, but I could very well have misunderstood what you meant by send it back.

Question 2:

No there isn't. If you installed anything over .8x, I think, you can't go back to GB.

Clarification of question #1 What exactly i need to do to make sure that i have just official stock ICS rom and no root, safestrap or custom rom left on my phone in case i have to return it to verizon? I still have OTA leak zip file on my external SD card

#160 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Clarification of question #1 What exactly i need to do to make sure that i have just official stock ICS rom and no root, safestrap or custom rom left on my phone in case i have to return it to verizon? I still have OTA leak zip file on my external SD card

For,

no root: unroot with voodoo and do FDR

this should also solve removing safestrap or bootstrap

Custom Rom: I've never flashed one so I'm not familiar with them, however, reflashing ICS with 1.7 will also delete the ROM... but there may be a simpler way, as I don't have any experience with ROMs

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users