Photo
- - - - -

TWRP Mount Question

twrp

Best Answer Memnoch73 , 09 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

This is leftover from the change of when the bootloader was first unlocked. At first the Safestrap roms needed to have you mount system to install. This was due to the way SS worked. If you are flashing something current there should be no need to mount system and I have never seen a need to mount everything. If by chance you try and install something and get a bootloop you can troubleshoot by trying a mount system install...

There is a bunch of other details that others can probably explain better but that's the gist...

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cvhovey

cvhovey

Post Traumatic nOOb Disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Being quite new to the Razr M, but not flashing and all that stuff, I have a question and doing a search turns up very diverse 'suggestions'. Having flashed hundreds of times on other phones, either with TWRP, CWR or Safestrap, not once have I ever seen "mount system" in the install directions. 

I'm on 98.16.3, bootloader unlocked, TWRP 2.6.0.0 and currently running stock. Most likely will flash a stock deodex then tweak from there ... maybe CM 10.1 at some point. Of the ROMs I've been looking at, in the absence of install steps, I'm unclear about "mount system". I know how to do it if needed. But seeing suggestions anywhere from "mount system" to "mount everything" to mount this or that before any wipes ... to after wipes before flashing ROM etc.

In other words, I'm not seeing any consistency. And it reminds me when folks would blame problem on not doing a "wipe x3" or "wipe x5" ... I wiped 1x and all was well in the universe. So is "mount system" before flashing a must or is it an urban legend for the Droid M or some quirk about the Droid M or way ROMs have been setup because some are locked and some unlocked?   :huh:

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:54 PM   Best Answer

This is leftover from the change of when the bootloader was first unlocked. At first the Safestrap roms needed to have you mount system to install. This was due to the way SS worked. If you are flashing something current there should be no need to mount system and I have never seen a need to mount everything. If by chance you try and install something and get a bootloop you can troubleshoot by trying a mount system install...

There is a bunch of other details that others can probably explain better but that's the gist...

• cvhovey, neckchop and livinginkaos like this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 cvhovey

cvhovey

Post Traumatic nOOb Disorder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Moto X Dev Ed, Moto X Retail, Nexus 7, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, OG Droid

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

That's kinda what I was thinking and appreciate that feedback. 

Droid Razr M XT907 B/L Unlocked - Stock Rooted

#4 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

A lot of people are having issues with 4.3 based ROMs if they don't mount system prior to wiping data/system.  As for installation, I've seen it explained that aftermarket ROMs have a mount script built in, but stock ROMs do not.  Many people suggest mounting system on stock based ROMs.

R. Long: Pixel 5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twrp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users