• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 pltctytc

pltctytc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

Those with issues you just upgraded from 2.3.6 to 4.0.4 and that is a major upgrade. Wipe your data and start from scratch ;)

how's that done
once on ics there is no going back

#22 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

how's that done

Settings/Privacy/Factory reset

#23 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:24 AM

Just a little background and tip from my ICS experience so far. After I updated, I had terrible battery life. When I say terrible, I mean that I was at 90% after 25 mins and the phone was sitting with the screen off the while time. I finally had enough and did a factory reset last night since nothing else seemed to help. I have seen a HUGE improvement since then.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

61.23KB   7 downloads

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#24 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Just a little background and tip from my ICS experience so far. After I updated, I had terrible battery life. When I say terrible, I mean that I was at 90% after 25 mins and the phone was sitting with the screen off the while time. I finally had enough and did a factory reset last night since nothing else seemed to help. I have seen a HUGE improvement since then.

61.23KB   7 downloads

Sent from my DROID RAZR

+1
I also recommend factory reset. I had same issues with battery and it made a difference for me.

Light usage and after two charging cycles on razr maxx

62.46KB   14 downloads

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#25 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

My battery life sucks now that I'm on ICS. I also can't turn off 4g like I could before to save my battery and I miss the Task Manager that was on it.

Battery life is one thing that does not suck on ICS. I normally wouldn't say a user is outright wrong in their opinion, but in this instance, you're factually wrong. I know this because I was part of the ICS soak for a week and of the thousands of users who posted on Moto's private forums, not a single complaint was made for battery.There are a number of small bugs in ICS, but battery life is definitely not one of them.

However, with that being said, you are correct there isn't a convenient way to disable 4G in the stock UI. You can however disable 4G by doing a number of things, the most easiest of which is downloading a 3rd party app from Play, or go the more extreme route of ##PROGRAM SEND. If you take the latter, and you mess around with other settings, the risk of bricking is extremely high.

**EDIT**

If you feel like there is a major problem with your battery life, a FDR will solve the issue if there is one. Many users during the soak experienced random wonkieness with their devices and after a FDR, all problems solved. The reason for this is because of the data wipe. It is highly recommended by everyone, and Motorola, that users do a data wipe before updating their OS. This prevents the wonkieness that some users experience.

#26 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

It is funny, my phone shows lower bars now with ICS than it did on GB. The DB levels are still the same but the bars display lower for the same DB level. I compared both my Razr Maxx's side by side one with ICS and one with GB. I looked at the GB phone before I upgraded and then right after in the exact same position. The DB level was still the same but it showed less bars. This was the same for both phones so I know it isn't just something wrong with one of them. The bars don't really matter anyway since it is just a gauge to show you the signal strength.

As far as ICS goes, overall I like it better. There are a couple of things that I liked better on ICS but overall it is an improvement.

This is a known issue and Moto was made aware during the soak

#27 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

Are you using the stock launcher? You can still do that & more with

!

+1 Apex is far better than GoLauncher, less of a memory hog, and offers a better experience

#28 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

ics is awesome. the only thing i dont like is how it dropped my signal on 3G from 5bars to 2bars. it definitely had an effect on signal. i hope they push out an update for it soon. it also seems to be draining my battery a lot quicker even with 4g off all the time as i only use 4g when i tether and that isn't too often.

This is a known issue and Moto was dully informed numerous times during the soak. Other issues with the radio are 3G decibel signals appear to be lower than they were on GB, and Moto was informed of this as well.

#29 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

how's that done

you can wipe data by doing a FDR, or launching Moto Recovery, and selecting wipe data/factory and wiping cache partition.

You can also start from scratch by reflashing ICS if you brick

#30 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

+1
I also recommend factory reset. I had same issues with battery and it made a difference for me.

Light usage and after two charging cycles on razr maxx

62.46KB   14 downloads

I noticed from your screenshot that your screen is using 65%.. that's waaaaaaaaay too high.

If you haven't had your screen on for an hour or more at a time, this should never be that high. This is an indication that you have display brightness up high. Some users prefer this, however, you should be aware this will greatly reduce your battery life and will cause the problem you are describing.

If you'd like to not have your screen hogging the battery, selecting both Display power saver and Automatic brightness will prevent this from happening. This is a users choice, and neither choice is wrong; higher screen brightness means more consumption of power, while using the options for system controlled brightness decreases consumption, it just depends on personal preference and what you want to achieve from your device :)

#31 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Battery life is one thing that does not suck on ICS. I normally wouldn't say a user is outright wrong in their opinion, but in this instance, you're factually wrong. I know this because I was part of the ICS soak for a week and of the thousands of users who posted on Moto's private forums, not a single complaint was made for battery.There are a number of small bugs in ICS, but battery life is definitely not one of them.

However, with that being said, you are correct there isn't a convenient way to disable 4G in the stock UI. You can however disable 4G by doing a number of things, the most easiest of which is downloading a 3rd party app from Play, or go the more extreme route of ##PROGRAM SEND. If you take the latter, and you mess around with other settings, the risk of bricking is extremely high.

**EDIT**

If you feel like there is a major problem with your battery life, a FDR will solve the issue if there is one. Many users during the soak experienced random wonkieness with their devices and after a FDR, all problems solved. The reason for this is because of the data wipe. It is highly recommended by everyone, and Motorola, that users do a data wipe before updating their OS. This prevents the wonkieness that some users experience.

Saying that a person is factually wrong may be a pretty big stretch. I too was part of the soak and know there were reports of terrible battery life. This is the reason that motorola sent out a email shortly after the soak regarding battery life specifically. Motorola knows there is a issue which is why this email was sent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  • got556 and just lou like this

#32 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

I noticed from your screenshot that your screen is using 65%.. that's waaaaaaaaay too high.

If you haven't had your screen on for an hour or more at a time, this should never be that high. This is an indication that you have display brightness up high. Some users prefer this, however, you should be aware this will greatly reduce your battery life and will cause the problem you are describing.

If you'd like to not have your screen hogging the battery, selecting both Display power saver and Automatic brightness will prevent this from happening. This is a users choice, and neither choice is wrong; higher screen brightness means more consumption of power, while using the options for system controlled brightness decreases consumption, it just depends on personal preference and what you want to achieve from your device

Lol, Screen is not set to automatic and have it set low. Screen on time for the entire 1day and 20+ hours totals between 3-4 hours, lol. This has been a complaint about ICS from different users and most believe its something with the OS itself. How else can you explain a phone that has been off charger for almost two days and a combined screen on total of 3-4 hours. The most i had screen on at one time was between 10-15 minutes. That or the OS and other apps is taking less juice then GB making display appear to use more juice then before, just a thought, lol.

#33 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Saying that a person is factually wrong may be a pretty big stretch. I too was part of the soak and know there were reports of terrible battery life. This is the reason that motorola sent out a email shortly after the soak regarding battery life specifically. Motorola knows there is a issue which is why this email was sent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I apologize then, I never saw those posts during the 3 or 4 days I spent on the private forums. My bad. :blink:

#34 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Lol, Screen is not set to automatic and have it set low. Screen on time for the entire 1day and 20+ hours totals between 3-4 hours, lol. This has been a complaint about ICS from different users and most believe its something with the OS itself. How else can you explain a phone that has been off charger for almost two days and a combined screen on total of 3-4 hours. The most i had screen on at one time was between 10-15 minutes. That or the OS and other apps is taking less juice then GB making display appear to use more juice then before, just a thought, lol.

I owe you an apology, due to the info thach provided. I spent 3 - 4 days in the private forums before I left because the same things seemed to be just getting repeated over and over again by users too impatient to actually skim through the forum they were posting in; and I never noticed posts about battery life after those users had done a FDR.

I was wrong and I apologize.

#35 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

I owe you an apology, do to the info thach provided. I spent 3 - 4 days in the private forums before I left because the same things seemed to be just getting repeated over and over again by users too impatient to actually skim through the forum they were posting in; and I never noticed posts about battery life after those users had done a FDR.

I was wrong and I apologize.

All good, no need to apologize. I know your just trying to help :). I too was part of soak test and I also read those same posts you did, lol.

#36 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

My battery life sucks now that I'm on ICS. I also can't turn off 4g like I could before to save my battery and I miss the Task Manager that was on it.

Hey, I apologize, I gave you the wrong info about battery life, which thach made me aware of. You can check out thach's post on page 2

#37 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

No need to appologize my good man. The info you gave in terns of how to possibly fix the issue was spot on and worked for me so that in itself was worth reading your post and I thank you for that. I did my factory reset after exhausting all other options late last night and have seen a big difference. Did you ever receive one of the battery life surveys from Motorola after the soak?

Sent from my Motorola Xyboard WiFi (XOOM 2 ME)

#38 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

No need to appologize my good man. The info you gave in terns of how to possibly fix the issue was spot on and worked for me so that in itself was worth reading your post and I thank you for that. I did my factory reset after exhausting all other options late last night and have seen a big difference. Did you ever receive one of the battery life surveys from Motorola after the soak?

Sent from my Motorola Xyboard WiFi (XOOM 2 ME)

Ya I did, I gave it an excellent rating lol

#39 gvfd65

gvfd65

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWarren County, PA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just download LTE OnOFF from the market, open it and go down to where it says "LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA" and change it to CDMA auto (PRL). That turns off the LTE radio and therefore saves battery!!

#40 wabmorgan

wabmorgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Over all I like ICS better than GB. Only few things did I like better on GB,,,, like FB sync for contact photo. (You can use HaxSync for that.).

+1 for APEX!!!!!! LIke ICS but much much better.

I was using GO EX on GB.... I have not tried it on ICS but it does include a task manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users