78 replies to this topic

#61 gemini846

gemini846

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Can anyone answer the original question? IF I get a new RAZR and it happens to have Gingerbread on it. Can I simply root the phone and it will stay at the current level of GB?

Thanks,
Mick

Yes, Root, Uninstall Bloat, Done. I'm still on GB because I haven't figured out how to install ICS manually yet.

#62 SmokeNMirrors

SmokeNMirrors

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:SmokeNMirrors
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD Unlocked BL

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

I can't even describe how much I hate my Razr with ICS and the woes and effort I've gone through to clean it up. I'll give $50 for a trade with a GB Razr. PLEASE HELP!!!

#63 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

I can't even describe how much I hate my Razr with ICS and the woes and effort I've gone through to clean it up. I'll give $50 for a trade with a GB Razr. PLEASE HELP!!!

What seems to be the problems you're having, comrade?
Posted Image

#64 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yeah im surprised we still have people with ics problems. Moto tested and trolled this forum for months. I think its its pretty ironed out.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#65 SmokeNMirrors

SmokeNMirrors

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:SmokeNMirrors
  • LocationMaryland, USA
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD Unlocked BL

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

What seems to be the problems you're having, comrade?

Most notably lag and constant home-screen reloading. Further, background apps seem to die. Lighflow randomly stops working (no LEDs flash when notifications show up). I run its app and then they work again (for a while). Same thing with eBay alerts, ESPN score alerts, or almost anything that wants to live in the background - after a while it seems to get its thread suspended but still shows up in SystemPanel. My battery life also sucks but looking through SystemPanel's Monitor I see "System" and "System Processes", "com.mobidia.android.mdm", and "com.motorola.process.system" as the top CPU consumers. I can't find anything to point the finger at other than Android itself.

Even if everything ran properly- I miss the Motoblur Apps layout. Being able to list recently downloaded apps time-sorted was great. Along with two clicks to add apps to a group - now a lengthy scrolling-intensive process. It just lacks the all the polish it had on GB.

#66 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

Most notably lag and constant home-screen reloading. Further, background apps seem to die. Lighflow randomly stops working (no LEDs flash when notifications show up). I run its app and then they work again (for a while). Same thing with eBay alerts, ESPN score alerts, or almost anything that wants to live in the background - after a while it seems to get its thread suspended but still shows up in SystemPanel. My battery life also sucks but looking through SystemPanel's Monitor I see "System" and "System Processes", "com.mobidia.android.mdm", and "com.motorola.process.system" as the top CPU consumers. I can't find anything to point the finger at other than Android itself.

Even if everything ran properly- I miss the Motoblur Apps layout. Being able to list recently downloaded apps time-sorted was great. Along with two clicks to add apps to a group - now a lengthy scrolling-intensive process. It just lacks the all the polish it had on GB.

When is the last time you did a factory reset? Or you can use Matt's utility to fastboot back to stock .211. I would suggest trying some custom roms. I have never had an issue with Lightflow. Custom roms do some great things for battery life. I am currently on Droid HD and have great battery. I think all the issues you have can be fixed or solved by fastbooting and/or custom Roms. Good luck and let us know if we can help more...
  • Nitewolf likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#67 lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Make sure you do a factory reset after upgrading to ICS. That seems to fix 99% of the issues.

Luke

Razr Maxx

#68 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

When is the last time you did a factory reset? Or you can use Matt's utility to fastboot back to stock .211. I would suggest trying some custom roms. I have never had an issue with Lightflow. Custom roms do some great things for battery life. I am currently on Droid HD and have great battery. I think all the issues you have can be fixed or solved by fastbooting and/or custom Roms. Good luck and let us know if we can help more...

+1
Posted Image

#69 pltctytc

pltctytc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

a couple factory resets after installing 4.04 and 2 weeks later it starts random reboots a few times a day. no new apps installed before the reboots.
while on a long phone call the screen stayed blank and 30 min in the droid eye started up about 30 min later it shut down.
turned itself on and froze at screen saying droid
the past 2 days i noticed the battery gets warm just before a random reboot.
cleared the cache and reboot and a few hours later it decides to reboot laying on table just after a text came through.
using a browser or an app the screen may freeze and either reboots or i have to shut it down manually
scrolling through apps on titanium b/up the screen freezes and reboots
as i wrote this... 3 reboots and a frozen unresponsive screen after reboot

used 1.81 to install and such. phone rooted.
droid razr maxx 912

now after using gmail just over 12 hrs later it goes on a reboot rampage so far 4 times in a couple minutes

#70 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

a couple factory resets after installing 4.04 and 2 weeks later it starts random reboots a few times a day. no new apps installed before the reboots.
while on a long phone call the screen stayed blank and 30 min in the droid eye started up about 30 min later it shut down.
turned itself on and froze at screen saying droid
the past 2 days i noticed the battery gets warm just before a random reboot.
cleared the cache and reboot and a few hours later it decides to reboot laying on table just after a text came through.
using a browser or an app the screen may freeze and either reboots or i have to shut it down manually
scrolling through apps on titanium b/up the screen freezes and reboots
as i wrote this... 3 reboots and a frozen unresponsive screen after reboot

used 1.81 to install and such. phone rooted.
droid razr maxx 912

You may want to go back to stock and wait for one of these issues to surface then reproduce it in the Verizon store. I'm thinking you have a faulty phone. I have not seen any of these issues on my phone nor from any other of the many members here.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#71 pltctytc

pltctytc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

there's hundreds of these complaints on the web. the past 12 hrs its been normal after several random reboots
deleted main backup email account and reinstalled. disabled standard browser. adjusted calendar sync to one account
those were the most recommended
take it back to verizon or send it to moto and they send you back a reconditioned one with probably more same or other issues
i'll keep what i got and deal and use my problem-free backup droid x if necessary.

the process com.google.process. gapps has stopped unexpectedly

seems to be a major culprit

#72 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

In the process of testing, I've probably installed ICS 20 times on my RAZR without any of these issues, the one exception being when I tested the "it's ok not to do a full wipe" theory. I've done the same with GB. ICS is faster, smoother, and more stable than GB, IMHO.

FWIW, a lot of these reboot issues are boot related, and can often be solved with a full factory reset and stock reinstall. FC issues, assuming data/caches have been cleared and permissions fixed, are remnants of leftover apps or apps that were reinstalled WITH data (don't do that!).

And if none of that applies, then I agree with everyone else who's said it - your device is defective. But it's not ICS.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#73 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ/Santa Paula, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

nevermind :lol:

#74 pltctytc

pltctytc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

Come on, admit it, ........ you just like to complain..........you don't like change..........how many other sites have
you visited and complained on?

I went through 'downgrade hell' too and mine is still marginal. My extended battery should arrive this week and
it MIGHT get it's GB battery life back.

i have no battery life problems
no one has any real answers for ics
and its none of your biz who complains where if they even do but apparently you visit as many sites

#75 pltctytc

pltctytc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

In the process of testing, I've probably installed ICS 20 times on my RAZR without any of these issues, the one exception being when I tested the "it's ok not to do a full wipe" theory. I've done the same with GB. ICS is faster, smoother, and more stable than GB, IMHO.

FWIW, a lot of these reboot issues are boot related, and can often be solved with a full factory reset and stock reinstall. FC issues, assuming data/caches have been cleared and permissions fixed, are remnants of leftover apps or apps that were reinstalled WITH data (don't do that!).

And if none of that applies, then I agree with everyone else who's said it - your device is defective. But it's not ICS.

not ics? but hundreds of complaints after the upgrade
funny never had a problem with gb and would go back in a second

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#76 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:31 AM

keep it civil or move on!

#77 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

@pltctytc - I'd highly recommend a factory reset (as suggested) if you haven't done it. I'm really active in Moto's forum and pretty active here and your issues are not normal...and thus I think it's a safe to not an issue with ICS. People on Moto's forum are generally stock, and people here (I think) are generally at least rooted, and most likely running a ROM and I see very very few complaints about phones being unstable. I don't know where these hundreds of complaints are. There were a few on Moto's site, but generally all were fixed, usually before it even came to a reset.

#78 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

there's hundreds of these complaints on the web. the past 12 hrs its been normal after several random reboots
deleted main backup email account and reinstalled. disabled standard browser. adjusted calendar sync to one account
those were the most recommended
take it back to verizon or send it to moto and they send you back a reconditioned one with probably more same or other issues
i'll keep what i got and deal and use my problem-free backup droid x if necessary.

the process com.google.process. gapps has stopped unexpectedly

seems to be a major culprit

I can understand your frustration, but your problem is not ICS. You mention "hundreds of complaints" and I'm sure there are many others like you that have had either a hardware problem or conflicts between the OS to apps, apps to apps, etc., but there are literally thousands, if not 10's of thousands that have not had these issues.

As has been stated, your problem is likely caused by one (or more) of the following:
  • Faulty hardware (very likely)
  • A rogue or poorly developed app that you are running (inclusive of apps that may not be fully ICS tested)
  • Two apps that are fighting for the same resources (see previous)
  • Corrupt data
Also keep in mind that you can factory reset to your hearts content, but if you then restore your apps and/or data with TiBu or any other backup software, you are likely just restoring the same problem that you had before.

My recommendation would be to completely restore the phone to a factory stock condition with Matt's utility and run the device in that stock state for a few days. If you continue to have problems, then you definitely have a defective device. If the problems cease, then you can start re-installing apps a few at the time to see if the problem comes back.
  • Nanniepoo, stealthmouse and Nitewolf like this

#79 pltctytc

pltctytc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

@pltctytc - I'd highly recommend a factory reset (as suggested) if you haven't done it. I'm really active in Moto's forum and pretty active here and your issues are not normal...and thus I think it's a safe to not an issue with ICS. People on Moto's forum are generally stock, and people here (I think) are generally at least rooted, and most likely running a ROM and I see very very few complaints about phones being unstable. I don't know where these hundreds of complaints are. There were a few on Moto's site, but generally all were fixed, usually before it even came to a reset.

thx for the advice
i reflashed it again using mattgroff's 1.81. this link has better instructions

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

it was stubborn before it took the flash off the sdcard but eventually did
reloaded all the apps and then rooted and so far problem free....nothing has triggered any issues yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users