Photo

Webtop And Why Won't It Work On The Roms I Like?

webtop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wtokie2

wtokie2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

I just want to make it clear that I am in no way ungrateful, bashing, angry, upset, criticizing, or anyway maligning any devs, future devs, future dev's baby's mama's mama's - or any of that .. just seeking knowledge.
I'm curious how webtop is actually integrated into the "fabric" of a ROM. I love the AOKP, AOSP, anything but Blur ROMs for all the customizations (let's face it - they are vastly more customizable - even if a camera doesn't work here, or you drop data there). I can live with the small deficiencies, but I don't understand why the webtop does not work on these roms.
Is it a matter of having to integrate webtop into an entire ROM - essentially rewriting the webtop? Is it something that could be flashed separately (after installing an AO** based ROM?)
I just want to know if there is a way to flash webtop with my favorite flavor of ROM? If I have to setup Ubuntu - then I will dedicate my time and energy to learning the process for doing that - if I can flash stock webtop then I would rather do that - but either way - are there no options for us? Even if we are willing to put in a lot of work? I have been looking everywhere to just get an understanding of how (and where) the webtop resides. When you backup - it is a separate backup option, it flashes as a separate partition (that takes forever when FXZ) and so in my mind, at least, it stands to reason that I could flash this puppy constantly without affecting the ROM that is running (since the ROMs don't require it to run) but if it were easy - then we'd all be doing it. So, what am I missing exactly, and what can I do to fix it - even at the expense of great time and study?
I'm sorry if these questions are noobish, I guess I'm a noob and I certainly have no Dev experience. I had a DROID and flashed stuff all the time without knowing what I was doing - no problems.
I consider Motorola to be rock solid phones, hardware-wise, and there is little that the average user can do to more than soft-brick a phone.
I had a Galaxy Nexus that I erased the EFS partition (the BASEBAND!!) that took me three days to figure out - and actually the only reason I was able to fix it was because some Rock Star at Samsung leaked the OG software for ODIN. But in ODIN for example.. I can take a package, and I can remove the RADIO.IMG from it, put in another RADIO.IMG (or leave it out altogether) flash and go on about my happy way. Why can I not do the same thing with the Bionic? Is it a limitation of the software tools provided by Motorola?

#2 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

2 words..
LOCKED BOOTLOADER

its sad what you cant do
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#3 bstrong

bstrong

Savior of the Razrs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Twitter:bstrong11
  • Google+:bstrong9211
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Webtop 3.0 is a joke anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Invictus Maneo!

#4 wtokie2

wtokie2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

2 words..
LOCKED BOOTLOADER

its sad what you cant do

So I guess I'm still confused why a locked bootloader prohibits webtop from working on AOKP or AOSP ROMS, yet it still works on a blur-based ROM flashed in Safestrap. Are you saying that the webtop partition is one that is not accessible, or writeable? It seems that it is if it is possible to load Ubuntu on it.

#5 smileythom

smileythom

:-)

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0"

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

A suggestion is to get the complete Linux install app from the play store. It will load ubuntu in a chroot environment and you can vnc into it. It wil work with aosp roms and the like because it doesn't use webtop. You won't be able to use the hdmi output until they get support for that(most likely with a custom kernal).

#6 bstrong

bstrong

Savior of the Razrs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Twitter:bstrong11
  • Google+:bstrong9211
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

It's a bit laggy, but if you're overclocked and keep your memory usage low you'll be fine

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • wtokie2 likes this
Invictus Maneo!

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

So I guess I'm still confused why a locked bootloader prohibits webtop from working on AOKP or AOSP ROMS, yet it still works on a blur-based ROM flashed in Safestrap. Are you saying that the webtop partition is one that is not accessible, or writeable? It seems that it is if it is possible to load Ubuntu on it.

AOSP doesnt include Webtop in its base system. It's not offered by google. It's built in by Moto. So that's why it doesn't work.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#8 wtokie2

wtokie2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks to all who responded, serious gratitude, from me - I learned something so, for me anyway, it was a successful venture.
Rock on.. I get it. Basically it's going to be awhile, if ever, before we get webtop support for AOSP because, as far as I know, Moto is the only ones that even have it... and who knows if the rest of the class is going to participate. The Linux is a good option, would be a really good option if I had two more cores and some more RAM,, and a video card.. lol. Seriously.

#9 hadeshorn9

hadeshorn9

Moot Minion

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationBoston MA area
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64gb, Dell Venue 8, Chromecast

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

So this topic has me interested as well, I have a lapdock and would love a full linux install running on the lapdock as well. I did some poking around and found this interesting thread.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

buntu on many android devices. I have not personally tried any of this but it does look promising. Might have to give it a go myself.
Just wanted to share.
EDIT,
That site is defunct, link to the new site.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

/Hadeshorn

OG -> Bionic -> (2013) Moto X DE -> Nexus 6 64gb Running 5.1 via Samuri's HoN 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users