7 replies to this topic

#1 knape.9

knape.9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Let me explain what I want to do so hopefully my question will make more sense. I want to use my razr as a car 'infotainment' center. ;) I would like to hook up my hd dock in my vehicle and have webtop launch on an external display. The problem I have is that i want to use a touch monitor. Does anyone know of a monitor that would work with this setup.

Basically the touch input from the external display would have to be output through usb to the hd dock as if it were mouse input. I haven't had any luck finding a touch monitor that specifically states that it has this ability. If anybody can reply with link to one or can point me in the right direction I would be very gracious and happy to post pics of my setup once it's complete.

I have razr maxx on 6.16.215, not that this should matter for what I want to accomplish.

Thanks! :)

#2 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Let me explain what I want to do so hopefully my question will make more sense. I want to use my razr as a car 'infotainment' center. ;) I would like to hook up my hd dock in my vehicle and have webtop launch on an external display. The problem I have is that i want to use a touch monitor. Does anyone know of a monitor that would work with this setup.

Basically the touch input from the external display would have to be output through usb to the hd dock as if it were mouse input. I haven't had any luck finding a touch monitor that specifically states that it has this ability. If anybody can reply with link to one or can point me in the right direction I would be very gracious and happy to post pics of my setup once it's complete.

I have razr maxx on 6.16.215, not that this should matter for what I want to accomplish.

Thanks! :)

That would likely require a good bit of development. I doubt there is a market for it, so you would have to learn how to setup the communication between the two devices yourself more than likely.

#3 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Kinda a crazy idea but... you could find a Samsung galaxy tab... the original 7 inch... I've heard that it is the exact size for a double din car stereo... get a used wifi only model and tether with your rooted RAZR.... probably get one for less than $200, which is probably less than what you'd spend on a monitor with touch interface... I know that the galaxy tab 7 is no comparison to the RAZR, but it could possibly do everything you want. I had one that I sold when I got my lapdock, and there were quite a few roms for it then, so you wouldn't have to roll with stock crapwiz, I mean touchwiz :P

Check out xda under galaxy tab 7 and there are some threads with people who made it their car stereo... pretty neat idea I think...

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX

#4 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Snives is right. I doubt you'll be able to find an "out of the box" solution. That said, it is theoretically possible. I know of a guy that did something similar to his Acura TL with a car PC. He had to do some hardware modifications to the head unit to get to the I/O wiring for the touch screen connected to the PC. I'd assume you'd have to do the same.

Have you thought about just using a USB trackball or something similar instead of the touch screen itself?

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

#5 knape.9

knape.9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

I like the trackball idea! I guess I'm confused as to how a touch monitor transfers its input to a PC. I would've thought that it was over USB for certain devices.

#6 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

I like the trackball idea! I guess I'm confused as to how a touch monitor transfers its input to a PC. I would've thought that it was over USB for certain devices.

I think I read too much into your first post. I was assuming that you wanted to use the "built-in" touchscreen already in your cars head unit. If you are planning on adding a touchscreen you probably can find one that has USB connectivity.

#7 knape.9

knape.9

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

I haven't found anything yet that states it will work Specifically with a RAZR or android for that matter. hopefully somebody will stumble across something

#8 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

You might try here >>

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users