249 replies to this topic

#141 arsenic1234

arsenic1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

So I followed the steps in the OP.
I had already had the OTA to 748, so I backed up the ROOT with rootkeeper and flashed to .173. (no problems).
My root wouldn't SU back over even tho it said it was backed up (all green check marks).
So i did the downgrade back, rerooted, backed up root, reflashed, rerooted. (all is right in the world).
EDIT: I now have safestrapped system and installed Eclipse on the side that can flashed (non safe I guess it would be) and am enjoying the ROM.
It seems this IS the forum for any droid razr user from what I looked around on the internet, not as much on XDA or android forums etc.
Great work all and thanks!
  • Nubia1 likes this

#142 7175

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

worked great (i dont have safestrap but I do have bootstrap and did nothing to it my whole update process)

update log today
*did fastboot to 744 from messed up 744
*ota updated to 748 keeping root from 744
*followed directions from first post and am running 173 rooted

#143 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

Might I suggest that you change either the warning to say simply "SAFESTRAP" rather than "HASHCODES SAFESTRAP", or change Step 2 to say "Disable Hashcodes Safestrap (AFTER RSD Fastboot)" insead of "Disable Safestrap"? This one minor difference between the two (one calling it HASHCODES SAFESTRAP and the other calling it Safestrap) tripped me up simply because I didn't know that they are one and the same.

Honestly? Probably not... They're one and the same.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#144 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

So I followed the steps in the OP.
I had already had the OTA to 748, so I backed up the ROOT with rootkeeper and flashed to .173. (no problems).
My root wouldn't SU back over even tho it said it was backed up (all green check marks).
So i did the downgrade back, rerooted, backed up root, reflashed, rerooted. (all is right in the world).
However I am still confused on the safestrap app comments in the OP.
I had the app installed obviously b/c that is how I did the .zip installs.
However it says to turn it back on (I never had it on I don't think), my safe system: is not active.
So do I just reboot into the clockwork like thing and turn it on?
Did I miss something I should have done previously with safestrap in the clockwork thing before I flashed to .173?
I had flashed roms on my OG Droid 1 a million times and always did wipes of caches and stuff, was this required for this process since its a version upgrade ?
Just trying to make sure I crossed all my t's and dotted my i's before I assume what I did was correct on my phone.
Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.
It seems this IS the forum for any droid razr user from what I looked around on the internet, not as much on XDA or android forums etc.
Great work all ~

I didn't personally add those lines to the beginning of the OP. I think DroidrazrAZ did. I didn't have SS cause any issues for my installations but some other people are (just like some have said that you have to temp unroot before upgrading which I also never did. In fact the one time I did temp unroot, it didn't allow me to restore it after the upgrade so I'm thinking it's fairly random). If I had to guess it's because people have executed a backup/restore and that's changed some of the files during that process. SS itself doesn't cause any problems. If you're on .173 rooted now I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted Image

#145 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:40 AM

worked great (i dont have safestrap but I do have bootstrap and did nothing to it my whole update process)

update log today
*did fastboot to 744 from messed up 744
*ota updated to 748 keeping root from 744
*followed directions from first post and am running 173 rooted

More fuel for my fire that SS/BS don't affect upgrades. As I posted above, I believe it has more to do with if you've executed a nandroid backup and restore. Not positive. But I've never RSD'd because of a failure due to SS/BS.

Posted Image

#146 foxkat

foxkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Google+:phil.katulka@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Droid MAXX, Acer Iconia Tab 10.1, HTC EVO 3D, Droid 2 Global, OG Droid

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

More fuel for my fire that SS/BS don't affect upgrades. As I posted above, I believe it has more to do with if you've executed a nandroid backup and restore. Not positive. But I've never RSD'd because of a failure due to SS/BS.

But I didn't do a Nandroid backup/restore. I only had Safestrap installed and activated before starting the process, and as step 2 said, I deactivated it. The failure happend and since then I am without root. I've RSD's back to .744, OTA'd to .748 and Doomlord Root (both V2 and V4) failed with at least 12 attempts on each and trying all sorts of troubleshooting in the process. If Safestrap being on the phone and NOT RSD'ing back to .744 before first attempt to upgrad to .173 wasn't the problem then why the doom and gloom warning?

If you didn't put the verbiage there, OK, but it is still misleading for those of us who don't specifically KNOW that Hashcodes is the DEV who created Safestrap. For me, I thought that the warning was because there was more than one version of Safestrap and I ONLY needed to be concerned if I had the "HASHCODES SAFESTRAP" installed, but didn't need to be concerned as step 2 implies if I have "Safestrap" installed. For the hard-core out there, this may seem ridiculous but for the newbies and the not-so-hard-core, a simple misunderstanding like that can be the thing that causes them to brick a phone (and it has happened many times in posts I've read these past couple years).

Right now, I have .173 with no root and can't get it back. I could start all over again and RSD to .744, but the time required is a pain in the butt when I have a family to support and a job to do, so I wind up staying up to the early AM hours to do this and then I'm falling asleep at my desk at work. I may just wait till someone breaks .173 and gets root working again.
Posted Image

#147 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

But I didn't do a Nandroid backup/restore. I only had Safestrap installed and activated before starting the process, and as step 2 said, I deactivated it. The failure happend and since then I am without root. I've RSD's back to .744, OTA'd to .748 and Doomlord Root (both V2 and V4) failed with at least 12 attempts on each and trying all sorts of troubleshooting in the process. If Safestrap being on the phone and NOT RSD'ing back to .744 before first attempt to upgrad to .173 wasn't the problem then why the doom and gloom warning?

If you didn't put the verbiage there, OK, but it is still misleading for those of us who don't specifically KNOW that Hashcodes is the DEV who created Safestrap. For me, I thought that the warning was because there was more than one version of Safestrap and I ONLY needed to be concerned if I had the "HASHCODES SAFESTRAP" installed, but didn't need to be concerned as step 2 implies if I have "Safestrap" installed. For the hard-core out there, this may seem ridiculous but for the newbies and the not-so-hard-core, a simple misunderstanding like that can be the thing that causes them to brick a phone (and it has happened many times in posts I've read these past couple years).

Right now, I have .173 with no root and can't get it back. I could start all over again and RSD to .744, but the time required is a pain in the butt when I have a family to support and a job to do, so I wind up staying up to the early AM hours to do this and then I'm falling asleep at my desk at work. I may just wait till someone breaks .173 and gets root working again.

Not sure what you did wrong. If the system is completely vanilla you will not have failures.

Just a heads up regardless, you're waiting for 2.3.6 android to be broken, not 173 specifically.

RSD + updates/root takes about an hour once you know what you're doing. Keep at it when you have time. Obviously your family and work should come first.

Posted Image

#148 ltmcgill

ltmcgill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

To rollback to 6.11.748 using the zip titled "Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" do you use the Factory Recovery Menu to install this?

#149 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

To rollback to 6.11.748 using the zip titled "Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" do you use the Factory Recovery Menu to install this?

Yes. All packages in this thread should be installed via moto recovery.

Posted Image

#150 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

I have 748 to 173 AND 173 to 748 downloads in the Master Mirror thread.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Edited by MrFrankRazr, 19 January 2012 - 07:51 PM.

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#151 foxkat

foxkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Google+:phil.katulka@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Droid MAXX, Acer Iconia Tab 10.1, HTC EVO 3D, Droid 2 Global, OG Droid

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

Not sure what you did wrong. If the system is completely vanilla you will not have failures.

Just a heads up regardless, you're waiting for 2.3.6 android to be broken, not 173 specifically.

RSD + updates/root takes about an hour once you know what you're doing. Keep at it when you have time. Obviously your family and work should come first.

Right on all above. I will start over. Quick question...do I NEED to root BEFORE OTA to 748, and THEN use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, or should I be able to root 748?

Also FYI, .173 does something that NEITHER .744 or .748 did for me. Upon reboot, it immediately began reinstalling apps off the Market. This was a pleasant surprise as I had gotten used to liking that feature on the D1 and D2 but was disappointed when I had to reset the RAZR and it didn't do it. Has anyone else experienced this?
Posted Image

#152 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Right on all above. I will start over. Quick question...do I NEED to root BEFORE OTA to 748, and THEN use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, or should I be able to root 748?

Also FYI, .173 does something that NEITHER .744 or .748 did for me. Upon reboot, it immediately began reinstalling apps off the Market. This was a pleasant surprise as I had gotten used to liking that feature on the D1 and D2 but was disappointed when I had to reset the RAZR and it didn't do it. Has anyone else experienced this?

You can root 748, then backup root with OTA. Flash 173 which will kill root, then just restore root with OTA.

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#153 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

That was really easy to do! Updated to .173 2.3.6 voodoo ota rootkeeper worked perfectly! ty for the detailed instructions!!!!!

#154 jimfromthegym

jimfromthegym

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:jimfromthegym
  • Google+:thejimmackin
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thank you. I am an rear end. I have never had an issue since I have been flashing roms and thought it was stupid to check the MD5. I am sorry for wasting time on this but thank you

and

for taking the time to assist me with this. Going forward MD5 checking will be going on.

I am having the same issue you had. How do I check the MD5 and get this corrected?
Droid

#155 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

I am having the same issue you had. How do I check the MD5 and get this corrected?

Search the market for md5.

Posted Image

#156 kb3awq

kb3awq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:kb3awq
  • Google+:kb3awq
  • LocationWilliamsport, PA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Does anyone know of a way of an app or something that can run a check to see if your phone is good to go for OTA ? You know like how there was an app to check to see if you have root..
John * Rooted Droid 1 and Droid RAZR Owner * KB3AWQ.com * W3AHS.com * Electronics Geek

#157 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

Does anyone know of a way of an app or something that can run a check to see if your phone is good to go for OTA ? You know like how there was an app to check to see if you have root..

OTA Rootkeeper will tell you if you are rooted, if that root is protected, and you can even temp. unroot for OTA installs to be able to restore afterwards.
If you mean to see if there will be an error? Nope.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#158 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

I know an application that'll make sure you can update. It's called RSD ;).

In all seriousness, matt is right. There is no android app that'll check your system to make sure that it's ready for OTA updates. The only way to be sure would be to have a factory clean installation. Hence the RSD joke.

Posted Image

#159 Greaser

Greaser

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@MattScarSr
  • LocationKenosha, WI

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

Install was a breeze, phenomenal job!

#160 kb3awq

kb3awq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:kb3awq
  • Google+:kb3awq
  • LocationWilliamsport, PA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

OK Thanks. I am just trying to get some of this in my brain. With all the information that is on these boards and some have differing opinions and things to do and not to to and if its agreed upon or not. I believe I have the RSD program. Actually I think this is the way I originally rooted my Droid 1 a year in a half ago but I remember sweating for about an hour. I had a full battery and when I did that it kept saying the battery was dead and I could charge and it seemed toast but I dont even remember what I did but somehow got it going and was fine.

I have the Razr now since Thanksgiving and just before Xmas I had to get another. I am not totally sure I needed another but at the time I couldnt get it out of the bootloop. It was when I tried to upgrade to 748. I had some bloat missing and stuff and was trying to get it back on. With this Razr the only thing I have done is root, I havent even froze (NEVER REMOVE) bloat just to be sure. Like I said I rooted mainly just to back things up and maybe a few other things that I rarely use but when needed is nice. Anyways I did put on RazrBootStrap app but didnt put on CWMonBoot JYdaddy zip. I did do a back up while in CWR via Razr boot strap I guess I should still be good to go for OTA.

I have the 6.12.173 leak that I have been holding off on since I have seen some who say that this could affect the real ota update and some say it wont, I just dont want to mess up again and have a frustrating headache like a month ago. The Droid 1 never gave a problem when doing stuff or I always easily got out of it. Maybe its just the changes and not knowing the for sures and Current differences between that and this one.
John * Rooted Droid 1 and Droid RAZR Owner * KB3AWQ.com * W3AHS.com * Electronics Geek

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update Guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users