bandit420

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Twitter:socalcctv
  • Google+:bandit132@gmail.com

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Works perfect, HUGE thanks... Keep up the awesome work.

#102 Electrotech33

Electrotech33

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Ok if I do the leaked update... Is there a possibility that my phone will not automatically install future OTA updates?

#103 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

Ok if I do the leaked update... Is there a possibility that my phone will not automatically install future OTA updates?

This is extremely likely. However you can downgrade back to the previous versions to get back on the normal upgrade path. I'm fairly certain this has been covered more than once...

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#104 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

All new ppl should read the first post a few times.
  • Erp likes this

#105 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

This post never gets old. :P

Posted Image

#106 rinzes

rinzes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

I guess my major question is "WHY" do this upgrade? What will I gain?

#107 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

New lte radio build, boot loader, I've noticed my camera has gotten a tad faster, I get lte where before I had a very weak signal .. all is well with this update.. some cool new icons, and of course some lame rear end bloat!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#108 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

CDMA/LTE radio updates - Largest benefit IMO. Stable data/Stronger signal
UI Enhancements - Self Explanatory
Camera Enhancements - Updates to the UI and performance of the camera app
Webtop update - Unknown, but it's there
Bootloader update - Self Explanatory
Kernel Update - I've actually noticed that the phone runs cooler overall since installing this update. .7XX I used to notice that the phone would get much warmer during use. Even charging the phone is cooler. (heat is wasted power and usually translates to wasted battery life)
Couple new bloat items - Slingbox and other shiz like that
Android Update to 2.3.6

Posted Image

#109 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

Wow.. now that you mention it.. runs way cooler.. I wifi tether to my 360, and ps3 and its running approximately 5-10 degree cooler.. ill have to play with my web top in a few days. I'm on vacation again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#110 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:tumblweed65
  • Google+:kend65
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

I haven't noticed what the webtop changes are. But I don't use it much

Signature Loading.................

#111 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

I haven't noticed what the webtop changes are. But I don't use it much

It's probably firefox/security updates/flash etc

Posted Image

#112 fessrick

fessrick

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

***IF YOU HAVE EVER USED HASHCODES SAFESTRAP... STOP HERE AND DO A FULL

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

!!***
***IF YOU HAVE EVER USED CLOCKWORD MOD ON BOOT (BOOTSTRAP)... STOP HERE AND DO A FULL

!!!***

EVERYONE ALWAYS ASKS SO I'M MOVING THIS TO THE TOP IN BOLD ITALICS UNDERLINED ETC ETC. - THE WAY THAT MOTO NAMES THEIR UPDATE FILES IS NOT THE DESTINATION BUILD YOU ARE GOING TO BUT THE BUILD/VERSION YOU ARE COMING FROM.

EXAMPLE: THE 6.11.748.XT912 ZIP IS AN UPGRADE FOR 6.11.748 TO 6.12.173. - NOT 6.11.744 TO 6.11.748.
Posted Image

It seems there is some confusion on the procedure on how to install this leaked update. I want to clarify for those who want to use it (it has some updated radios, bump in android version to 2.3.6, updated camera, etc).

Step 1: Prerequisite step basically. You must be running stock (current ota updated version to 6.11.748) and still have all your 748 bloat intact etc etc. Anything that you couldn't uninstall without root needs to be on the phone. This includes things like editing the swype files so that you could install betas. If you are not in this boat, chances are extremely good that you are going to fail the current system verification phase and the update will not install. Also, make sure you have 50+% battery. MD5 of the update package (Blur_Version.6.11.748.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip) should be aa7fe6290c0d3a60253922bac413da02. You've been made aware.

Step 2: Disable Safestrap via the app. You do not have to remove the apk itself, but the system needs to be disabled.

Step 3: Install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (free from the market). Open it and hit protect su (all the boxes should be checked green at this point). IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS STEP, YOU WILL NOT HAVE ROOT ON THE NEW BUILD. CURRENT ROOT METHODS DO NOT WORK ON ANDROID 2.3.6+. If you are not currently rooted and want/need to be, you need to root at this point with voodoo protecting root before you proceed.

Step 4: Drop the update file Blur_Version.6.11.748.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip on your EXTERNAL SD card.

Step 5: Turn off your phone

Step 6: Hold all 3 buttons (power and both vol keys) to turn it back on and select recovery from the menu that pops up (use vol down to scroll, vol up to select)

Step 7: Press Vol+ and - simultaneously to get the on screen menu. This menu behaves like CWM/SS for navigation.

Step 8: Install the update file on your card. It takes a while. It's going to verify both the file and your current system before it proceeds. If your phone fails the current system check (most common) that means something isn't factory in your phone's system files and you'll probably have to use RSD to fix it. (See my FAQ post for the link to how to use that. I'm too lazy to explain that here, or I will be ninja edited to give a link to the Fast boot thread:

).

Step 9: When the system reboots load up the voodoo app. You'll notice that you no longer have root. Hit restore su.

Step 10: Open Safestrap and enable it again.

Grats. You're rooted/safestrapped and running the most current publicly leaked build 6.12.173.XT912. There's a file that can be used to roll back to 6.11.748 in the main thread if you want to return back to whence you came. (Again Ninja edit with Link for Restoring to .748 is

.)

EDIT by mattlgroff: Here are the /preinstall/ folders to replace your current ones if you have uninstalled SafeStrap and are still having issues. Use Root Explorer, delete your preinstall folder and paste in one of these depending on what version you have and it should let you upgrade/downgrade to the version you want to.

(Provided by mattlgroff. Use these to upgrade from 6.11.748 to 6.12.173 or update to another update/OTA not yet known at this time by replacing preinstall folder to fix Status 7 errors).

(Provided by mattlgroff. Use these to downgrade to 6.11.748 or to update to another update/OTA not yet known at this time by replacing preinstall folder to fix Status 7 errors).

If this post was helpful, don't forget the pretty green "Like This" button over here ----------------------------------------------------------------------->

your instructions were great. I am now running the current version & rooted. Now just to figure which ROM i want to use? I've used RAZRX & Arctic. have not tried razrX1.1. Will these roms work with 6.12.173?
Thanks & again great work.

#113 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

#114 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

your instructions were great. I am now running the current version & rooted. Now just to figure which ROM i want to use? I've used RAZRX & Arctic. have not tried razrX1.1. Will these roms work with 6.12.173?
Thanks & again great work.

Well nitro just dropped Eclipse on us:D based off this update

#115 rinzes

rinzes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info... I did the install following the instructions... "HITS THE EASY BUTTON"

#116 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info... I did the install following the instructions... "HITS THE EASY BUTTON"

I prefer the "like" button to the easy button ;)

Posted Image

#117 Electrotech33

Electrotech33

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

This is extremely likely. However you can downgrade back to the previous versions to get back on the normal upgrade path. I'm fairly certain this has been covered more than once...

Not to be a d&ck head but... I do not read all the way through all the comments. I read the first post then asked my question that I had.

secondly if the

was in reference to my question... I have read and re-read the first post several times, and no where does it say in the first post that doing this update would knock me off the update path.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

#118 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Not to be a d&ck head but... I do not read all the way through all the comments. I read the first post then asked my question that I had.

secondly if the
was in reference to my question... I have read and re-read the first post several times, and no where does it say in the first post that doing this update would knock me off the update path.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sorry I didn't use that exact verbage, but in the grats portion of the post I tell you how to return to 748. This information was provided to get you back on the "upgrade path" if necessary. I apologize for the confusion.

As for the re-reading post. That was a general comment. There have been probably a full page worth of re-posted questions asking the same things in the 6 pages worth of stuff in here and we're just trying to make it so we're not answering the same questions over and over again. As things have arisen consistently, we've added more information to the OP. Just like now I will update the verbage in the OP. Basically please don't get salty with the Mods. They're just trying to not have to do triple the work.

Enjoy your stay here @ Droidrzr.com and I hope your update goes/went smoothly.

Posted Image

#119 Electrotech33

Electrotech33

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

Sorry I didn't use that exact verbage, but in the grats portion of the post I tell you how to return to 748. This information was provided to get you back on the "upgrade path" if necessary. I apologize for the confusion.

As for the re-reading post. That was a general comment. There have been probably a full page worth of re-posted questions asking the same things in the 6 pages worth of stuff in here and we're just trying to make it so we're not answering the same questions over and over again. As things have arisen consistently, we've added more information to the OP. Just like now I will update the verbage in the OP. Basically please don't get salty with the Mods. They're just trying to not have to do triple the work.

Enjoy your stay here @ Droidrzr.com and I hope your update goes/went smoothly.

Ok I now have read through every post in this entire thread, and not one of the post refered to the actual upgrade path. I do understand that in order to get on the upgrade path that I would follow your original post and do a FULL RSD, that was not my question...

The way you replied to my question might have been misunderstood, because it came across like you were saying that you answered the question earlier about how doing this might break the upgrade path.

I think by reading your reply now you were saying "This is extremely likely. However you can downgrade back to the previous versions to get back on the normal upgrade path, and that process has been covered several times over" which I do understand how to do that process from the original post and from reading in the 10-15 other posts that ask how to do so.

And again sorry for the inconvenience.

#120 zllibengood

zllibengood

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Locationsioux falls, sd
  • Current Device(s):RAZR

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

Installation went smooth and flawlessly. Just followed the directions and it worked great. Nice work.

-Z
-Z

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users