474 replies to this topic

#81 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

I have a notification in my tray that there is a software update for the phone. Does anyone have any idea if installing will mess with root access our not?

Uh-oh. I wouldn't risk it. I'm going to check my wife's phone and see if she has the notification. We know they won't officially go past GB on this thing, so I can't imagine anything useful. You're sure it's an OS update and not one of the silly apps? I'm not seeing a notification for an update on my wife's phone.

#82 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

I have a notification in my tray that there is a software update for the phone. Does anyone have any idea if installing will mess with root access our not?

Make sure to install the app 'Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper' and backup root + Temp Unroot before flashing any updates.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#83 jac6387

jac6387

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Uh-oh. I wouldn't risk it. I'm going to check my wife's phone and see if she has the notification. We know they won't officially go past GB on this thing, so I can't imagine anything useful. You're sure it's an OS update and not one of the silly apps? I'm not seeing a notification for an update on my wife's phone.

I get this when I click on it. Posted Image
my phone did like freak out before I saw this and rebooted by itself randomly and when I got it back on I saw this. Maybe its just some kind of malware?

#84 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

I get this when I click on it.
my phone did like freak out before I saw this and rebooted by itself randomly and when I got it back on I saw this. Maybe its just some kind of malware?

Even if so, do you think you'd be able to pull this update? One its downloaded it should but in the root folder /cache/* just don't install it until you do the temp unroot pre-caution. I can take a look at the zip and find out more about it

EDIT: Original system version: U8680V100R001C85B837SP01

EDIT2: Original incremental build ID: C85B837SP01

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#85 jamonthis

jamonthis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Even if so, do you think you'd be able to pull this update? One its downloaded it should but in the root folder /cache/* just don't install it until you do the temp unroot pre-caution. I can take a look at the zip and find out more about it

EDIT: Original system version: U8680V100R001C85B837SP01

EDIT2: Original incremental build ID: C85B837SP01

Here is tmobile update page that talks about it http://support.t-mob...m/docs/DOC-4547

When i called into t-mobile their automated system said this would be rolling out to all members in the next two weeks.

My wife does not care about root so when hers shows i will test it out before i do mine. I will let everyone know what happens.

here is what they say it is updating

Android version 2.3.6 / Software version C85B839SP03 (Current)
  • Version
    • Android version 2.3.6 / Software version C85B839SP03
    • Kernel version: 2.6.35.7
    • Baseband: 404026
    • Released 9/18/2012
  • Features
    • The ability to opt out of Carrier IQ has been added to the device
    • Compose Icon added to Email Application
    • Camera has been optimized to realize full 5.0 Mega Pixel resolution
    • Additional bug fixes related to call functions

#86 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thanks much for the information! I'm glad they allow the Carrier IQ opt-out... I opt-ed out already by gutting it from my device the first second it reared its ugly head under my /system/app/ folder! ;)

I still need someone to pull this update. The updater-script can help figure out CWM some more.

Once its downloaded it should but in the root folder /cache/* just don't install it until you do the temp unroot pre-caution. I can take a look at the zip and find out more about it

#87 oneru

oneru

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA
  • Current Device(s):Huawei U8730

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

Most of us have not been given the opportunity to update yet. When I get the notification, I'll try to get the update zip to you right away.

#88 jac6387

jac6387

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

Okay, I have the zip file in my cache folder. Just trying to figure out how exactly to get it off of my phone lol. I'll get back to you once I figure that out.

Edit: I'm using something called Android Commander (on PC) to view the root folder, but when I open up the Cache folder It appears empty (even though I can see the files in there through Root Explorer on the phone)

Edit: Okay, I figured out the problem was because we're using a stock rom which has secured adb even when rooted. So I downloaded insecured adb from here http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1687590. And that allows Android Commander to have root access. I'll try to upload the file somewhere and post a link

Edit: (Final)

Okay here it is lol

http://www.mediafire...01_B839SP03.zip

Let me know if that doesn't work for some reason or another.

Edit (again): Hmm, just tried to apply the update and i think the instalation failed.

Edit: Going to the system update section in my phone now says that its up to date so I'm not sure what happened exactly lol. It would be nice to have the optimized camera. I think I remember reading somewhere that the 5 MP camera was actually something more like 3.9 MP

#89 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

Downloading now to inspect, thanks! I got a way to it to be flashed I think. We used a method for the RAZR which couldnt flash a leak zip update unless we used ES File Manager to send the update through Rom Manager (free) to install it from stock recovery.

#90 jamonthis

jamonthis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Downloading now to inspect, thanks! I got a way to it to be flashed I think. We used a method for the RAZR which couldnt flash a leak zip update unless we used ES File Manager to send the update through Rom Manager (free) to install it from stock recovery.

Not sure if you have been into the recovery option of the stocked rom. If you hold down the volume up and power when turning on the phone you will get a slimmed down version of CWM it appears.
Edit = you may have to pull the battery and replace it first or else you will just perform a fast boot instead of getting into recovery.

Here is a link to the pic of the recovery http://imgur.com/krvUE

Not that this is the same but my Viewsonic Gtab had the same recovery this does and if you changed the name of a zip to update.zip and put it on the root of your sd card you could flash it. Problem is this recovery does not offer a backup option.

Edit = you may have to pull the battery and replace it first or else you will just perform a fast boot inst

#91 jac6387

jac6387

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yeah i got that screen when it tried to restart to apply the update. It then has some text pop up saying a few things and eventually had update aborted in yellow text. I thought it was frozen and then realized i could move up and down with the volume rockers and just rebooted, and i don't get the prompt to download the update anymore (its also gone from the cache)

#92 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

I have the option to apply the update. I've also already "opted out" of Carrier IQ by removing (and backing up elsewhere) /system/app/CarrierIQ.apk.

Can anyone confirm whether this keeps root or do you lose it? That's the most important question to be answered ATM.

#93 jamonthis

jamonthis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Okay, I have the zip file in my cache folder. Just trying to figure out how exactly to get it off of my phone lol. I'll get back to you once I figure that out.

Edit: I'm using something called Android Commander (on PC) to view the root folder, but when I open up the Cache folder It appears empty (even though I can see the files in there through Root Explorer on the phone)

Edit: Okay, I figured out the problem was because we're using a stock rom which has secured adb even when rooted. So I downloaded insecured adb from here http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1687590. And that allows Android Commander to have root access. I'll try to upload the file somewhere and post a link

Edit: (Final)

Okay here it is lol

http://www.mediafire...01_B839SP03.zip

Let me know if that doesn't work for some reason or another.

Edit (again): Hmm, just tried to apply the update and i think the instalation failed.

Edit: Going to the system update section in my phone now says that its up to date so I'm not sure what happened exactly lol. It would be nice to have the optimized camera. I think I remember reading somewhere that the 5 MP camera was actually something more like 3.9 MP

I wonder it you change the name to update.zip and placed it on the root of your sd card if this can be applied by recovery.

#94 jamonthis

jamonthis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

I wonder it you change the name to update.zip and placed it on the root of your sd card if this can be applied by recovery.

Just gave this a try. If you browse the zip to \patch\system\app everyone of these apk's must be in place for the update to take place. So if you have deleted the CarrierIQ.apk and did not have a backup the update will fail. I had to restore them all back through titanium backup to get the update to work. I can also confirm i still have root after the update.

edit = i did follow this step to make sure.
Make sure to install the app 'Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper' and backup root + Temp Unroot before flashing any updates.

so if anyone wants the update sooner than t-mobile pushes it to you can get it by using the posted update.

#95 whiterabbit

whiterabbit

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

I have solved the locked /cust folder... I used rootexplorer because it lets you remount the folder you are in. Go in to /.cust_backup/image/ mount as r/w and copy the cust.img file to your sdcard to basically have a back up copy. After that just delete the cust.img file from the directory and reboot. this gets rid of the t-mobile theme, the extra "locked" apps, the t-mobile boot animation and basically turns it into a basic version of android. if you want to go back just copy your saved copy of cust.img from your sdcard back into /.cust_backup/image/ and reboot. If you wanted to you could edit the cust.img file to remove the .apk file you don't want then load the new version to save all of the other stuff.

#96 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have solved the locked /cust folder... I used rootexplorer because it lets you remount the folder you are in. Go in to /.cust_backup/image/ mount as r/w and copy the cust.img file to your sdcard to basically have a back up copy. After that just delete the cust.img file from the directory and reboot. this gets rid of the t-mobile theme, the extra "locked" apps, the t-mobile boot animation and basically turns it into a basic version of android. if you want to go back just copy your saved copy of cust.img from your sdcard back into /.cust_backup/image/ and reboot. If you wanted to you could edit the cust.img file to remove the .apk file you don't want then load the new version to save all of the other stuff.

Great stuff! I had no idea just removing the .img would work lol

#97 whiterabbit

whiterabbit

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I was afraid it was going to mess up something because it loads a lot of stuff onto the phone during boot, but I haven't found anything wrong yet.

#98 aprilac

aprilac

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm having the same problem the user: "noob" had.

I am running the program on Windows. I connect my phone on the debugged usb setting, installed the driver, and ran the root program. When a menu comes on in the screen of my phone, I choose "reboot". Nothing actually happens. You see a bunch of "fails" in the cmd application of yours, but at the end it says "Congratulations! it's rooted" . Any suggestions?

#99 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

I was afraid it was going to mess up something because it loads a lot of stuff onto the phone during boot, but I haven't found anything wrong yet.

This is awesome!
Any chance you could list all of the stuff that gets removed? I rather like, for example, the UI, and the dlna app.

#100 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

This is awesome!
Any chance you could list all of the stuff that gets removed? I rather like, for example, the UI, and the dlna app.

UI shouldn't change its in /system/

Here is a copy of cust.img in zip form you can check it for whatever.

https://dl.dropbox.c...093625/cust.zip

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users