• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks again mat! I guess I'm wanting version 2.7, being the latest version?

#22 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks again mat! I guess I'm wanting version 2.7, being the latest version?

Yes, 2.7 is the latest but the 2.6.3.1 (I think) works well also.

Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#23 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

I just tried the link and got the same thing as Stewie, I think it's because the file is a .img and Windows thinks it's a ISO image to burn a DVD. I tried it with both IE and Chrome on my Win 7 box and got the same result each time. Unfortunately, on my PC I don't even get the option to do a "save as" and when I tried to save the web page as a txt then change it to .zip, IE went crazy! I did find another link on the other web site from Hades that has the file in a zip format and here's the link: http://waynekent.com/page26.html

That is extremely odd.  I am on my PC using Chrome and it immediately starts downloading.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#24 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Kaos, I've tried your link from my windows pc (8.1 64 bit) and from the browser on my razr, the other day and this afternoon. Still showing the symbols. I did use mat's link, and downloaded twrp 2.7. So, I think I'm set to unlock and root my new phone when it comes in. Just going to continue reading up on everything, and make sure I'm familiar with the process. Thanks to everyone for your advice and help!

#25 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

That is extremely odd.  I am on my PC using Chrome and it immediately starts downloading.

I know it's strange, I tried using Chrome also but got the same error so I'm thinking it's a file association/OS thing. It didn't even trigger the "run/save/save as" prompt either which would at least allow you to give it a different file extension and change it back after the DL.

Posted Image

#26 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

I got my new phone Monday, and with my wife's help (changing directory paths with SDK to get the long set of numbers to type to request the unlock code, I finally got the bootloader unlocked. I had downloaded twrp from the site mat linked to, and actually got the link kaos posted to download directly to my new phones browser. I transferred the file to the PC, and tried following instructions from youtube, while I still had the command prompts open and could get the phone to reboot to boot loader through adb. Bootloader screen shows device unlocked status code 3, instead of 1 and I can't figure out how to install twrp now, and can't flash root access till I flash recovery. Not sure what to do next.

#27 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:16 AM

You lock status is correct.

For twrp, put the twrp.img file in the same directory that fastboot is in on your sdk. Then put your phone in fastboot mode by powering down completely. Then hold the volume down then press and release the power while still holding volume down OR using adb while the phone is on, use the adb reboot bootloader command that you sound like you've done.
Once there, connect the phone, open a command window, navigate to the fastboot folder. Then type:

Fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#28 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:18 AM

Then reboot immediately into recovery by unplugging the device. Power off. Hold both vol up & down then press power.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#29 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

If you don't boot into recovery immediately, the system will over write it with the stock recovery.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#30 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Thanks kaos! I'll try this evening and let you know how it goes. I'm a noob with adb and command prompts. My wife is teaching me some, and I did figure out a little. Its always good to learn something new. Once I get recovery flashed and unplug the phone from the PC, I manually power down the phone, then manually go to bootloader mode, then volume down to recovery, then volume up to select it, then I'm in and can flash superuser you linked to last week? And from there, update binaries when I power back on, then go back and backup the rom before deleting bloat like vz navigator and such? Just want to be sure I have the order right. Thank you again!

#31 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

You've studied :) You'll be fine. Just hit is up if you have issues.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#32 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hey kaos, I just wanted to thank you and mat for your help! I got twrp installed (2.7.0.0) and rooted. I feel a little less intimidated by adb commands than I was before (comfortable enough with it lol). Gonna make a backup, then see what I can delete or rename without breaking anything. With no external storage, if I ever had to restore a backup, I'm assuming I'm OK to restore in recovery. If I had to reflash the firmware though, I guess I need to keep a copy of twrp backups on my PC to push back to the internal SD (guessing all storage would be wiped)? I do have the 4.4.2 files downloaded from Motorola's website (downloaded before the phone arrived). I'm guessing download Sam's house of moto, and paste the moto files I downloaded in hom directory and then I'm ready for potential disaster recovery? Hopefully I've got my bases covered. Thank you again!
  • livinginkaos likes this

#33 rwrutl

rwrutl

Droid Devotee'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCleveland TN

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

OK Driod people, I didn't know where to post this question, so I hope someone here can help or direct me to help. My good ole Bionic is gasping for it's last breaths, so I'm looking at buying a Sprint Moto X and my plan is to unlock the bootloader and find a custom rom to let me use it on my Verizon account. I have done some research but not been able to totally unravel the maze of 'possibilities' within the X world. I rooted a vzw Moto and gave it to my son, but now I'm looking for one. So, any help is appreciated in advance. The X I'm looking at is pretty new, and my understanding is that I could unlock the bootloader, surely there's software to get it to work on 'big red.  

#34 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

OK Driod people, I didn't know where to post this question, so I hope someone here can help or direct me to help. My good ole Bionic is gasping for it's last breaths, so I'm looking at buying a Sprint Moto X and my plan is to unlock the bootloader and find a custom rom to let me use it on my Verizon account. I have done some research but not been able to totally unravel the maze of 'possibilities' within the X world. I rooted a vzw Moto and gave it to my son, but now I'm looking for one. So, any help is appreciated in advance. The X I'm looking at is pretty new, and my understanding is that I could unlock the bootloader, surely there's software to get it to work on 'big red.  

If you want to unlock, your best bet is to purchase a dev edition.  I may be wrong and I'm sure someone that is more knowledgable will chime in, but I don't think the Sprint Moto X will have the CDMA radio bands required to run on VZW.  However, you can purchase the Dev Edition for VZW and be ready to go.  

R. Long: Pixel 5

#35 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, the physical hardware Is not there for VZW Lte. There are a few developer x's floating around used. If you are getting a steal on the Sprint model, sell it and buy the Verizon model.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#36 rwrutl

rwrutl

Droid Devotee'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCleveland TN

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Thanks Rik and I am aware of the VXW edition, but was hoping it possible to flash new radios with the right freq bands. Thanks again, (I'm trying to save a couple hundred bucks)

#37 rwrutl

rwrutl

Droid Devotee'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCleveland TN

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Thanks Kaos, Thats what I needed to know

#38 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

I was searching the forums for any custom boot animations, and for a way to get rid of the bootloader unlocked warning each time I reboot my phone. I have some boot animations for my RAZR xt912, and wondering if they'd be compatible with the x, despite the different screen size and resolution, or if it'd cause a bootloop. Was wondering if anyone had experience with that

#39 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:34 AM

I was searching the forums for any custom boot animations, and for a way to get rid of the bootloader unlocked warning each time I reboot my phone. I have some boot animations for my RAZR xt912, and wondering if they'd be compatible with the x, despite the different screen size and resolution, or if it'd cause a bootloop. Was wondering if anyone had experience with that

Here's not one but two places you can look:

http://www.droidrzr....request-thread/

http://forum.xda-dev...-logos-t2417961

I'm using one of the boot logos from here at DroidRzr and it works very well.

Posted Image

#40 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

Thanks again mat!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users