• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I got my bootloader unlocked, and phone rooted earlier this week without a hitch. Also, got the bootlogo changed with adb. Just took me a little an evening to figure out I wasn't typing the command fully. I'm continuing to read up, and learn about adb from different threads on this site, and find it rather fun to do (this coming from someone not the most computer literate, lol). Also used root explorer to replace the boot animation with one I used on my RAZR. Because alot of the background image was black, you can't tell it doesn't use the entire screen on boot up. It took some time to make it work though. I pasted the animation.zip in system>media and renamed the old one boot animation.bak, but old one would continue to run anyway. I did finally find where another copy of the old animation was written elsewhere, and was given priority, and renamed it. After doing so, I rebooted, and got saw the new one working. Of course I backed up everything in twrp before attempting anything. I have deleted the old stock bootanimation since there's 0 chance I'd ever want to use it, along with the little Verizon bloat. I've not touched much else, like moto care apk and such, since I don't know what else could be deleted without hurting functionality, but honestly, the performance of this phone is so good, I don't see a real need to remove more unless I ever needed app space. I did install exposed framework and was able to change the colors of the nav buttons and clock in the status bar. Tried changing the battery icon, but I guess I'd need to be deodexed for that. I saw stock deodexed system on another thread, but happy enough with what I have now. I did make a backup of pure stock before doing any changing or deleting. Other than copying the 2 backups to the computer, for an added measure of safe keeping, I think I'm good for now. Sorry this was so long, but just wanted to say thanks, and give an update on my progress, enabled by your help, after a few days of testing. On a side not, I'm extremely surprised by the battery life. It's actually much better than my RAZR maxx was, with the same amount of use! Mine must not have had a good battery from day one, I guess.
  • matjmonk likes this

#42 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Just wanted to give an update to everyone. I got my bootloader unlocked, and phone rooted earlier this week without a hitch. Also, got the bootlogo changed with adb. Just took me a little an evening to figure out I wasn't typing the command fully. I'm continuing to read up, and learn about adb from different threads on this site, and find it rather fun to do (this coming from someone not the most computer literate, lol). Also used root explorer to replace the boot animation with one I used on my RAZR. Because alot of the background image was black, you can't tell it doesn't use the entire screen on boot up. It took some time to make it work though. I pasted the animation.zip in system>media and renamed the old one boot animation.bak, but old one would continue to run anyway. I did finally find where another copy of the old animation was written elsewhere, and was given priority, and renamed it. After doing so, I rebooted, and got saw the new one working. Of course I backed up everything in twrp before attempting anything. I have deleted the old stock bootanimation since there's 0 chance I'd ever want to use it, along with the little Verizon bloat. I've not touched much else, like moto care apk and such, since I don't know what else could be deleted without hurting functionality, but honestly, the performance of this phone is so good, I don't see a real need to remove more unless I ever needed app space. I did install exposed framework and was able to change the colors of the nav buttons and clock in the status bar. Tried changing the battery icon, but I guess I'd need to be deodexed for that. I saw stock deodexed system on another thread, but happy enough with what I have now. I did make a backup of pure stock before doing any changing or deleting. Other than copying the 2 backups to the computer, for an added measure of safe keeping, I think I'm good for now. Sorry this was so long, but just wanted to say thanks, and give an update on my progress, enabled by your help, after a few days of testing. On a side not, I'm extremely surprised by the battery life. It's actually much better than my RAZR maxx was, with the same amount of use! Mine must not have had a good battery from day one, I guess.

Well, now that you've gotten this far, start playing around with Gravitybox/Xposed, you can do a lot of stuff with the modules that have been created for that little gem, including changing out battery icons and such.

Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#43 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

Well, now that you've gotten this far, start playing around with Gravitybox/Xposed, you can do a lot of stuff with the modules that have been created for that little gem, including changing out battery icons and such.

Or..you could run Eclipse blur and grab my theme... Haha

Sent via Blacked out TapaTalk on my Eclipsed Dev X

• matjmonk and shane1 like this

#44 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:50 AM

Or..you could run Eclipse blur and grab my theme... Haha

Or you could do that!! Hope Nitro can get us an update one of these days, I'm having flash withdrawls!

Posted Image

#45 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

Or you could do that!! Hope Nitro can get us an update one of these days, I'm having flash withdrawls!

I'm still happily running whatever his last one is. I still haven't felt the need to run anything besides stock or Eclipse on this! Definitely not like my S4 that I HAD to run a source ROM on!

#46 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

I've run eclipse on my RAZR 912 for quite awhile, when I was trying different roms for that phone. I'm sure I'll start checking out roms/themes before too long. For now, I'm still playing with this phone's features, and watching the performance and battery life after removing the little bloat on the phone. Got over 6 hours screen on time, with around 20 hours on battery! My RAZR maxx wouldn't do that for me. About 8 hours of that particular cycle was overnight, while I was sleeping. I had fully charged it, then unplugged and went to bed, woke up the next morning and it only consumed 4%. Been impressed more than I thought I'd be so far.

#47 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

I'm still happily running whatever his last one is. I still haven't felt the need to run anything besides stock or Eclipse on this! Definitely not like my S4 that I HAD to run a source ROM on!

Yeah, I've been running 3.2.2 (with your icon pack) for many moons! I just recently flashed the Kryptonite kernel to see if it affects the battery life any since folks over at the "other" site seem to think it does. I also have a backup of stock sitting on the SD card since I've contemplating restoring it just for giggles but I'm too lazy  to update everything! Eclipse is pretty amazing and it just plain works!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users