#1 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I got to handle one of these new Droid Razr M's today in the store. The phone big red calls the 'edge to edge' screen device (except for that tiny little bezel around the edge of he screen, but who's splittings hairs now? lolz). Anyway, all I've read is that this phone is "unrootable". No way, now how, never gonna happened, never ever ever.

Now, I have never plugged one of these into my computer, heck I haven't been around one more than 5 whole minutes. I just want the skeptics/exerts to please explain to me how Moto FINALLY made an Andoid phone unrootable? What makes this phone so special? Hell, even the Titanic was unsinkable and we all know how that ended up.

Just please, someone who's actually in the know, enlighten me. I promise you won't scare me with any techno babble I can't figure out. I just want yo know how they finally managed to win the 'Root Wars".

While I get the fact that Moto doesn't care 1 metric crap worth about the enthusiast market and they only care about the "average buyer", what I feel that they are missing is the we, the enthusiasts, are their biggest, cheapest cheer leading squad. And by pissing us off, they are essentially eliminating the hundreds of millions of "adverage buyers" that we now may or may not recommend their phone to.

Every enthusiast could potentially account for 10 iPhone 5 buyers that we have converted because we feel motivated to say how awesome Android/Moto/whomever is because they are lame tyrants like Apple.

Cutting off ones nose simply to spite this face NEVER really works out.

Thanks!

Sent from my peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#2 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

All I know is that their is a new kind of security system in the kernel making it harder to root and that they took away "cat" ,"dd" and one other command line utility.

Dan Rosenberg himself, the guy who has made all of the root exploits says that its unrootable because of the new security system. I don't much else about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

All I know is that their is a new kind of security system in the kernel making it harder to root and that they took away "cat" ,"dd" and one other command line utility.

Dan Rosenberg himself, the guy who has made all of the root exploits says that its unrootable because of the new security system. I don't much else about it.

It's a battle won and a war lost if you ask me. (for Moto that is)

Sent from my peanut butter and jelly sandwich
  • DarkOverDroid likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#4 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

From what I've heard, Dan never said that it "can't" be rooted. What he said is that he is no longer the "root exploit" guy and will no be doing it anymore.

On to the M. I heard that part of the file system that needs to be rooted (or whatever) is in fact located in the kernel, which as we know, unless you have the dev edition, the bootloader is locked. Which means no access to the kernel for root.

#5 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Motorola and Android are my favorite combos, but if you take away root access, I would no longer have any interest in Motorola. Eventually it'll probably happen to all devices. If that's the case, well then Andy it's been a good ride, but I'm bailing. Of course It's not like they could'nt ever lock us out to begin with, if they ever really wanted to before it would have been done. Why start now?
Kinda weird that this is happened only after Google purchased Moto.
Wonder what Google's reasoning behind this move is? To push the dev versions so they can legally void your warranty for rooting it, or to push more Nexus devices. I don't get why the Nexus' are ok to do all this $#!7 to, but the rest aren't. Especially with Moto, Google's own company pushing for it.
  • Nitewolf likes this
Posted Image

#6 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

This is kind of funny, it's a quote from a post on Dan's blog.
Another day, another tablet rooted. "I wonder when Motorola will realize that it’s hopeless to try to prevent device owners from controlling their own hardware."
(Source)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Posted Image

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

This is kind of funny, it's a quote from a post on Dan's blog.
Another day, another tablet rooted. "I wonder when Motorola will realize that it’s hopeless to try to prevent device owners from controlling their own hardware."
(Source)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Nice! Maybe he'll return!!

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

#8 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationMobile, Al

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Nice! Maybe he'll return!!

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure, this post is dated from February 17,2012.
I just thought it was funny for him to say this and then turn around a few months later, and get a you wanna bet from Moto. Not funny for us of course, but for him in an ironic sort of way.
Posted Image

#9 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationMobile, Al

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

Rumors float like bubbles in a tub, so I don't know how true it was. I can't find the article I read, but I could have sworn that I read from some blog that he was working, either with or for Moogle now. Like a said, rumors as far as I know. With him finding the exploits it makes since that he could be the one to hire to fix it. "Shrugs shoulders"
Posted Image

#10 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

Developer Edition is totally rootable. I don't know why anyone is buying locked phones on purpose anymore its a really silly thing to do. If you want root, get an unlockable phone.
  • Thach, Nanniepoo, NattyBee and 1 other like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#11 bstrong

bstrong

Savior of the Razrs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Twitter:bstrong11
  • Google+:bstrong9211
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

Developer Edition is totally rootable. I don't know why anyone is buying locked phones on purpose anymore its a really silly thing to do. If you want root, get an unlockable phone.

This

Invictus Maneo!

#12 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

Because not everyone can afford $600-$700 for a dev edition phone, Mr. Smarty! :P
  • NattyBee, canezila and rickw like this

#13 twinkyz1979

twinkyz1979

Veteran Flasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Well i am going to keep my unlimited data either way so dev edition it is for me
  • Nanniepoo likes this

#14 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Because not everyone can afford $600-$700 for a dev edition phone, Mr. Smarty! :P

Not what I said. There are plenty of subsidized unlockable phones out there. I got an unlockable HTC One S for free subsidized and its specs beat the RAZR M in some ways lol

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#15 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

Rumors float like bubbles in a tub, so I don't know how true it was. I can't find the article I read, but I could have sworn that I read from some blog that he was working, either with or for Moogle now. Like a said, rumors as far as I know. With him finding the exploits it makes since that he could be the one to hire to fix it. "Shrugs shoulders"

And we all know what those tub bubbles are filled with & what end they come from. -Capt. Obvious

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#16 TopherRZ

TopherRZ

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

All I know is it's going to be great having an unlocked RAZR HD. I was going to buy a phone straight up anyway to keep my unlimited data, might as well get a developer edition while I'm at it.

• NattyBee likes this
*Only four iPh0n3s were hurt in the making of this post*

#17 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationMobile, Al

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Well i am going to keep my unlimited data either way so dev edition it is for me

The reason I would go with what Matt suggested and not go with Moto, is that even though the dev edition is unlockable and able to be rooted, you also have no warranty either. While with the others, you can have your unlock/root and warranty too. The only thing your giving up is brand loyalty. I would definitely pay retail to keep my unlimited plan, I've had it for 12 or better years. I'm not going down without a fight lol.
Posted Image

#18 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

The reason I would go with what Matt suggested and not go with Moto, is that even though the dev edition is unlockable and able to be rooted, you also have no warranty either. While with the others, you can have your unlock/root and warranty too. The only thing your giving up is brand loyalty. I would definitely pay retail to keep my unlimited plan, I've had it for 12 or better years. I'm not going down without a fight lol.

Yep, me too.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#19 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

You lose your warranty with HTC. Personally have no worry about losing warranty... I make sure the hardware is fine and then unlock. I love my Motorola phones and don't mind paying full price to get an unlocked bootloader even if the warranty is full and void... I import my devices anyway so I didn't really have a warranty replacement plan anyway lol

#20 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationMobile, Al

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

You lose your warranty with HTC. Personally have no worry about losing warranty... I make sure the hardware is fine and then unlock. I love my Motorola phones and don't mind paying full price to get an unlocked bootloader even if the warranty is full and void... I import my devices anyway so I didn't really have a warranty replacement plan anyway lol

I didn't know that about HTC. The fact for most people is though, as nice as what you can afford to do might be, we all can't afford doing that Lol. Besides, you can check the hardware days in and out but it really doesn't matter, anything can stop working at anytime. That's when people like myself depend on our warranties. Hardware only of course. Don't get me wrong, I love Motos devices too, but if I can get the same or better specs from another manufacturer and still keep my warranty why not? When companies like Moto pull these stunts locking down things and we still keep supporting them, it just empowers them to keep on with their illogical practices.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users