#21 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Any device that has been unlocked essentially voids warranty to my knowledge or at least gives them ammo to say so. Say if they didn't offer the developer editions but made the retail devices unlockable, in order to unlock you have to agree that it voids warranty. Its been the same on my Xoom and GNex. In addition to that the developer devices do have full manufacturer warranty until it is unlocked! Its still to early to tell how stringent they will be on this policy. If you request service due to an obvious hardware problem will they cover it? Who knows! But I think most manufactures will be continuing down this path.. if nothing else for the corporate atmosphere. Corporations do not want their employees handling sensitive information on "security flawed" devices I'm sure. So the tighter security is from the get go the more possible sales down the road for device manufactures. Let's face it... its all about the money! Can you honestly blame a manufacturer for locking down and abiding the majority vs the hobbyist?

To close because this is getting ridiculously long.. if you want a moto device to tweak.. buy a developer edition. Its your only guaranteed way to root!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#22 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

It's just now on it's 2nd page lol. We're all just having a friendly conversation, thought that's what DroidRzr was here for, sheesh!
Posted Image

#23 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Lol... I wasn't trying to sound upset! Just strictly sharing my opinion! Haha... this is is the right place for friendly conversation so if it came across wrong just ignore me lol... carry on! :-)

• DarkOverDroid likes this

#24 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

My bad lol. Me too:). I've always seen you as a person with a good personality on here. I was just confused with the close comment.
Posted Image

#25 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Haha... the close comment was just about my post.. after I looked back at what I'd already said... I thought it looked long winded! Lol

#26 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationMobile, Al

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Gotcha! See, told you I was confused. :)
I have a very bad habit of going on and on, so welcome to my world. Lol
Posted Image

#27 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

And the world was calm..... lol.

• DarkOverDroid likes this

#28 chazall1

chazall1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

The M will be rooted, and will be as supported as the Razr. The exploite will take a couple of weeks weeks before it is ready for the public!
You'all have no faith in the Developers!
  • canezila, RzrMike and JoeProcopio like this
Believe In "Open Source"

#29 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

The M will be rooted, and will be as supported as the Razr. The exploite will take a couple of weeks weeks before it is ready for the public!
You'all have no faith in the Developers!

Have you read the thread? Part of what needs to be rooted is in the kernel, and the guys with encrypted Droid Razr Ms' won't be able to touch the kernel. Therefore rendering a full, permanent root almost impossible.

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#30 chazall1

chazall1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

So with the Kexec whitch allows custom kernels to be used will not work.?

Starting with the Razr M, and every Motorola phone their after, Razr HD, etc on Verizon will never get their Retail phones rooted, and developers will not be able to develop any phones from here? I know you can purchase the developer additions, this number being at best minimal, General root and development is for any of the Moto phones is dead. If this is correct, Moto on Verizon and general root and development for this community is DEAD!
Wow.
Believe In "Open Source"

#31 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

So with the Kexec whitch allows custom kernels to be used will not work.?

Starting with the Razr M, and every Motorola phone their after, Razr HD, etc on Verizon will never get their Retail phones rooted, and developers will not be able to develop any phones from here? I know you can purchase the developer additions, this number being at best minimal, General root and development is for any of the Moto phones is dead. If this is correct, Moto on Verizon and general root and development for this community is DEAD!
Wow.

#BlameVerizon

You HAVE to expect Google and the manufacturers to fix security holes and make their phones unrootable if they have a locked bootloader. Kexec requires root. Developers will still be able to developer because, call me crazy, but they might be buying the Developer Editions. If you like custom roms, rooting, and other aspects of development does it make any sense at all to buy a phone with a locked bootloader? Not to me. The days of expecting root on a locked bootloader device are over, at least on Motorola and HTC for the moment. The process of finding an entirely new exploit for every new device and every new device's software updates just isn't a viable option and of course would only work a finite amount of time.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#32 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

I still think it hurts development for Moto phones, for any apps that require root or work best with it. And there's also the risk of "what will VZW/MOT do next that puts a wrench in someone's work?"

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#33 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

I still think it hurts development for Moto phones, for any apps that require root or work best with it. And there's also the risk of "what will VZW/MOT do next that puts a wrench in someone's work?" Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I agree that it will slow. I think a lot of people have already jumped ship. Although I think the devs that have remained are cream of the crop. I do think if Googorola ever releases a Nexus device there will be a huge surge though. Personally I had tentative plans to buy a dev edition Maxx HD, but I'll have to wait and see how the development goes. For me having a phone that just works isn't good enough. I love to tinker even if it's not me writing the code (yet).

#34 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

All i have to say is two things.

1) If you want a M save to buy the dev edition, it just makes life more easy.
2) the M will get root. I am not going to say "why" im saying this or the "who,what,when,where" . Just keep the faith my friends.
  • DarkOverDroid, canezila, stealthmouse and 2 others like this

#35 chazall1

chazall1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Just keep the faith, Right on!
Believe In "Open Source"

#36 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Trying to force all the tweakers into buying an expensive developers edition only serves to line the big boys pockets. Why would they offer an unlockable dev edition in the first place? So that a handful of people will keep on creating various mods to serve the corporations better? No one will benefit except the money grabbing SOB's, so where's the incentive?
Posted Image

#37 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

Trying to force all the tweakers into buying an expensive developers edition only serves to line the big boys pockets. Why would they offer an unlockable dev edition in the first place? So that a handful of people will keep on creating various mods to serve the corporations better? No one will benefit except the money grabbing SOB's, so where's the incentive?

So you at least have the option of development when you otherwise would have absolutely nothing. Motorola had no choice with Verizon's new unlocked policy. See Galaxy S III Dev Editions and RAZR M Dev Edition. A handful of people who want a development device to do whatever they want with and certainly root their devices who are willing to pay full retail (keeping Unlimited Data at the same time by the way...) should be able to get them. Obviously the Dev Editions aren't meant for the average user and neither is unlocking the bootloader. If you want an unlockable and rootable device that's retail then don't go with new Android phones sold by Verizon wireless that are subsidized..
  • impudent1 likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#38 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

It's a raw deal for everyone if you ask me. So a few devs can still mod and the people who can't/won't afford a dev phone won't be able to benefit. I don't see the rationale behind it.
Posted Image

#39 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

It's a raw deal for everyone if you ask me. So a few devs can still mod and the people who can't/won't afford a dev phone won't be able to benefit. I don't see the rationale behind it.

If you have a phone you can root now and it works why would someone be angry there is an option to unlock for newer phones? If Verizon pays for your phone they have every right to lock it how they please. If you buy yours off contract from Motorola 'Dev Edition' you do with it what you like. Seems fair to me...

Motorola could have just not released Dev Editions for Verizon and no more DROIDs would be rooted or rommed. Instead they give you an option. That's the rationale behind it.

#40 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Since I'm going to have to buy a phone full retail to keep VZW unlimited (if I stick with them) buying a dev edition is exciting for me as I'll have an unlockable Moto again. However for people who can't afford the full price I can see there being bitterness. Overall tho it does make sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users